Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cat Machine posted:

As a UK Gunplar I generally find the best experience is just to order from Hong Kong eBay stores like tokyohobby and j3hobby and wait out the 10 day delivery rather than run the customs gamut from Japan or pay over-inflated UK store prices.

I saw Japan-cool recommended on Reddit a few days ago and was going to do the comparisons and possibly try them out, still might but thanks for telling us that. I looked up the eBay stores, tokyohobby seems okay but J3 seems crazy expensive. The 00Q is over £26 there.

Does Tokyohobby get much cheaper with combined shipping? An HG and shipping looks to be about £14, half of that postage, which is actually okay overall but I figure with the postage so high it might get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

This lead me to the UK Amazon and HobbyOne have it for £42.40, do any of you have experience with them? Best price on Amazon.co.uk, there's one slightly cheaper on eBay from tokyo-hobby, I don't know if I'm likely to have better luck with customs on one or the other.

Edit: HLJ has it for £24 + shipping so it's a matter of if I want to risk customs, and that might still work out better.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What are some good paints that will run through an airbrush but also work with brushes? I know Tamiya don't get on with being brushed on, and Citadel works but I expect I can get cheaper than GW stuff.

And back to the GB gunpla chat, is HLJ still the way? Ebay/Amazon? What do I do to avoid customs charges?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Well that takes me back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Isn't the K9 unit available separately? Or does it not connect to the regular GM Sniper?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What's wrong with HG Sinanju? Just how it comes off the runners?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has anyone here messed around with HGBF Gundam Fenice Rinascita much? I assume the port on the back will take one of the other BF backpacks, whilst retaining it's wings? Right now I think I want to give it the 00 Seven Sword rifle (probably switch the arms in) and see what I can put on the back. If I don't get more imaginative, I might just stick a Dark Matter pack on it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Are there any kits with abdominal articulation to rival the 00 Qan[t]? It's the only one I know of that has a point of articulation in the middle of the torso.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

Hey Blitzblast
http://www.taghobby.com/9-0/9-1/%E4...-gundam-series/

Also some P bandai Zetas, RG 00 Raiser, MG Dark Matter Exia, HG Guntank, Zaku II, Hi-Nu Brave, Wing Gundam Zero, Gundam Amazing Red Warrior, RE Dijeh and Gerbera, and some pics of PG Unicorn. Also a full armour pack for PG Unicorn.

:getin::unsmigghh:

Some of those really surprised me. Had to think RG 00/00 Raiser was on the shortlist, but an MG Dark Matter?

The new HGBF Wing Zero variant looks nice, may put off getting one of the Fenice kits and look at that. I thought perhaps it could mean a return of Felini, but looking at the red color and orange clear detail, I think it's going to be Sekai's.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

They're... okay. I've ordered from them a few times with relative success (their cheapest delivery option uses low-rent couriers like Yodel and Hermes rather than Royal Mail which comes with a fair number of issues), but had a truly terrible experience with them the other week that has kinda sworn me off using them again.

Ordered a Build Burning Gundam and it was delivered by an absolute prick of a courier - he left it on the window ledge outside my ground-floor flat on a rainy day. That would be a fairly irritating incident on its own, but was compounded by the fact that Japan Cool had simply wrapped the kit's box in paper - no packaging box or padding/insulation. So once I got it inside, the kit box had basically been reduced to paper-mache and a couple of the runners were completely wrecked. I'll pull the photos off my phone later to show just how nightmareish the whole thing looked.

I got in touch with them to complain, and the owner was fairly apologetic and offered a free replacement with next-day delivery... Only it didn't show up for over a week. He gave me free delivery on my next order as compensation for that, but that's not much use when I'm probably never going to use them again.

As a UK Gunplar I generally find the best experience is just to order from Hong Kong eBay stores like tokyohobby and j3hobby and wait out the 10 day delivery rather than run the customs gamut from Japan or pay over-inflated UK store prices.

Delayed follow up to this: I'm looking at ordering on HLJ right now, would I be right in thinking that for the most part, it's better to get MGs from the eBay places you mentioned, and to get HGs a few at a time from Japan, with the calculated risk of customs? It seems that with HLJ if you put anything in an order with an MG the shipping shoots up.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 29, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ordered HG G-Arcane, Exia Dark Matter and Rozen Zulu ep 7, and the Powereder Arms and Dark Matter boosters. 00Q and Fenice R were out sadly. Think I'll leave my next MG for eBay or a free shipping offer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I always think the Astrays have the Punisher symbol on their chest.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So in lust with this, wish I could have ideas like that, let alone carry them out. I'm a huge fan of the Reborns Gundam gimmick, and this really pulls it off (except I think the O-mode hands are upside-down)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

You know what? I'm coming around on a few of the AGE designs, the Farsia looks like it might be neat, I quite like the back/shoulder armour. Shame that girl = pink.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Finished my 00 Raiser.

God-drat, that thing just kept getting wider. Just layers of parts expanding outwards.

But on the other hand, good god the GN Sword looks so loving good.

Which grade and which GN Sword? I really like the gunsword with the Seven Sword.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

In fact, on the subject of Stargazer, I watched it recently and could not find a HG of Stargazer Gundam for the life of me, even on Dalong. Did they even make one?

Yeeup.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

God-drat it, I forgot non-UC have their own categories.

Still, those green orbital things look drat cool on the model.

Yeah, another one of the AGE kits I was refering to was the AGE-FX, which gets a clear bracket to arrange it's bits on like that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

The Build Burning on the whole has excellent articulation and posing (I think I saw a photo of someone who was able to pose it into a one-armed handstand??). I'm a big fan of the way it's wrist joints are articulated too.

How does it compare to the 00Q, which is probably the best-articulated HG I've done? It has somewhat double-jointed wrists, but nowhere near enough to handstands, but the torso has a point in the middle of it that allows it that much more. Asking since I'd like to do a custom kitbash and I'd like a good range of articulation, and cool legs. I quite like the 00Q legs but Build Burning has those nice thusters on the back, and I think nicer feet and ankle skirts to hide the PCs.

Edit: Although the 00 and 00Q have the points either side of the knees, so the kneepad isn't a fixed part of the lower leg, which I also like.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 16, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

We've got second leads for Build Fighters Try:

Build Burning looks like he needs a guitar rifle, Lightning has a new backpack, and Winning is going to be a sticker-riddled mess.

Winning looks like it has full-size Gungam limbs on it's back, possibly a torso. Transformation or combiner gimmick?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Mock + two or three Powered Arms Powereders = Wuthering Mock, as piloted by Kate Bush.

That's too hot.

Too greedy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I really think that's an abdomen coming out of the back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just git a sweet job and can fully embrace the habit again. Got myself a widdle xmas present:

My greatest challenge yet.

Think I want to paint it rather than use stickers, any advice? I think prime it, airbrush the main colour and hand paint the detail?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Does Tamiyo acrylic like being hand painted? I know I had problems with brushing something a while back. How about Vajello or whatever? I think I'd like sonething I can put through an airbrush, and also apply by hand for detailing etc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ActionZero posted:

The backpack he made for the Amazing Exia could turn into a bird, Yuuki has always been an enormous loving nerd.

Dude's a fan of Soundwave, don't be hating.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Nobody calls Yuuki uncrasamatic!

Yuu inferior. Mejin superior.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I bought a backlog!

HLJ Black Friday stuff, wasn't expecting them yet.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 30, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Going to try and make the effort to paint my kits right and clean them properly. I'm using X-2 as a guinea pig. I've sanded the nubs, and it's left these visible scuff marks behind:

They feel smooth, so I figure painting will do away with them?

Also, what about the join seam? Plastic cement it together and sand it smooth?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

Yeah you're right about both of those. Depending on the grit you used, you might want to smooth it out with some progressive sanding.

Where did you get that, btw? I love the x-2 and i kind of want to get one

Got it on a whim at Tokyo Toys in London, so paid more than I would with HLJ or whatnot. They sell gunpla at massive markup, manga and anime, cosplay stuff and mousemats with boobs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

Yeah you're right about both of those. Depending on the grit you used, you might want to smooth it out with some progressive sanding.

Where did you get that, btw? I love the x-2 and i kind of want to get one

Just realised that some parts need to be poly-cemented around other parts, which is going to get in the way of painting. For example, the arm has two pieces of shoulder which connect through the top of the arm, and there's the eyes, which are a purple piece of plastic inside the two halves of the head. Am I just going to have to do two batches of painting, before and after glueing?

Think I'm going to start on Exia Dark Matter or Rozen Zulu tonight. Both look excellent.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It's a Sleeves MS. Ridiculous amount of stickers is par for the course.

It's not a coincidence I've been asking about painting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

If 2015 really gives us an RG Qubeley, I will die in an explosion of cum and plastic.

Is that a rumour? Are they doing ZZ first?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

Part of my new years resolution is to do another custom gunpla, so I'm going to have to figure out what. I'm thinking custom Turn A with a metallic paint job, but I think maybe I should try my hand at that color-change paint I didn't try before.

Isn't all paint colour change paint?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just got curious, are there any HGs with great articulation, on the level of Build Burning and 00Q, that aren't Gundams?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cait Sith and Transient Gundam both got kits announced. The RG 00 Gundam also got some new pictures. Looks like it comes with the big-rear end switchblade and they're all out in April.

drat Transient is pretty. And the spear turns into a guitar? Hopefully they round out the Gunpla Academy kits with Saga's suit (The End? I forget), which I assumed wasn't being released when I saw it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think it was an issue with number of colours or clear colours in kits, with clear GN windows being a big part of the 00 design philosophy. Doesn't explain the GN-X and varients having plain clear chest gems and red sabers, maybe because the kit was at most 6 colours.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What are the pitfalls of airbrushing indoors? I mean, will an open window or a kitchen extractor fan not be enough?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

They should just reissue it as "Reiji's Beginning Gundam" with a new pamphlet and box.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Where's the shield from? And why does it have a mono eye?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure it was in the Gundam thread, but that needs to be shown to that one guy who thought that nobody cared about the Beargguy.

For a kit described in-continuity as "a gunpla made for girls" it's probably got some of the broadest appeal of any kit.

Can you still get the original Beargguy? I remember seeing it said the Gunpla Builders kits were pretty limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I feel this image is appropriate

It isn't and never will be.

Man the Dark Matter is just a way for the Exia mold to annoy me all over again. The pec-vents still keep coming loose and don't allow you to put the shoulders in a natural position. And I forgot the elbow only went 45 degrees. Was there some point in the 00 line when double jointed elbows became the norm? It's odd, since the knees are really good.