Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Welp, guess I do gunpla now.

The Hobbytown near me has a small gunpla section So I figured gently caress it and got Mr. Ral's Gouf. I only did some slight panel-lining, matte varnish (which got a bit screwed up because i didn't block the breeze enough), and painted the thrusters, just to see what it looked like with minimal effort. I think I'll paint any others I build, though.

I already want to get a Hi-Mock to slap some spare North Korean Air Force decals on....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

closeted republican posted:

I'm not sure if that's pure genius or completely insane.

Genius.

The insanity will be from the person who catalogs what kit every piece came from just be looking at the picture.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warmachine posted:

My anecdote is to say that the Hobbytown USA near where I live stocks gunpla, and is apparently one of its biggest sellers. Gundam is clearly entering a golden age of plamo in America. :911::hf::japan:

Yeah, the Hobby Town by me has seemed to be slowly growing not just it's gunpla section, but all sorts of sci-fi models like Space Battleship Yamato and poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So now that it's finally popped up on dalong, holy god the Dahack is incredibly my poo poo and I have no idea why other than "beam shield hands".

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

peeNamaste posted:

Wow there's a robot called Gay Trash? I really need to watch g-reco. Too bad it's all blocked in the US now? :shrug:

I think someone at Gundaminfo hit the wrong button. Right around Easter OO vanished and G-Reco stopped updating. Then they dumped all the G-Reco episodes but marked them as private. :iiam:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Speaking of metallics, any tips for painting metallic blue without an airbrush (because I don't have one)?

I just got a Dahack (because apparently blue mobile suits with two shields is my fetish), and I really want to paint it metallic blue - and maybe even a pearl white for, well the white parts.

Any special techniques? Or just pick up Tamiya dark blue metallic (I think it's like TS-53)?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Started to put some time in on painting my Dahack.

Lessons learned so far:

- Reaper HD makes a great yellow
- Vallejo Metal Medium is awesome, but god, is it hard to get the right balance.
- I really need A) an airbrush, B) patience, or C) both.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Suddenly I don't feel weird about trying to figure out a paint scheme for a North Korean Hi-Mock...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ka0 posted:

It owns bones but those feet are stupid.

The Gusion didn't go through foot-binding, has a big ol' hammer, and an even more :frog: head:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The more people post pictures of the Gusion the more it looks like someone just designed a mech version of :frogout:. :allears:

He looks so excited to have that hammer. In combat, it's probably going to look like Baylor's fat guy scoring a touchdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLLXoqOrC88

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it's becoming increasingly obvious that it's a souped-up Man Rodi that its psychotic pilot (check the box art, I mean goddamn) wanted to big up with some borrowed notoriety.

Counterpoint: it is :frog: the mech and I want it :colbert:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's no reason why "Gundam type frame" has to refer to something that specifically looks like the Barbatos/Kimaris, though.

Have they said Kimaris is a Gundam? I think the Gundam wiki ( I'm too lazy to check) said something about the Calamity War mobile suits (which are the Gundam in IBO, I think) are named after demons in Ars Goetia.

Barbatos and Gusion are demons in Ars Goetia, but Kimaris isn't.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Droyer posted:

"Kimaris, also known by the alternate names Cimeies, Cimejes and Cimeries, is most widely known as the 66th demon of the first part of the Lemegeton (popularly known as the Ars Goetia)."

Wikipedia disagrees

Yeah, I accidentally skimmed over it.

So Barbatos, Kimaris, and Gusion are all Gundams.

Unless plot twiiist or something happens.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Don't brag to your Gunpla about your circumscision.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Build it, then toss it into a box and weld the lock shut. It will exist is a quantum super position of having and not having the flappy things deployed.

Schroedinger's Gunpla.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MJP posted:

For the last month or two I've been working on a Qubeley Papillon done like no other thus far - candy-coated, metallic and beautiful. I had a setback earlier today - a polycap peg housing in the upper thigh snapped clean apart.

After being dejected I figured I should put up a reminder to myself of how far I've come on this project and it makes for good sharing. Figure it's worth a blurb.

It's not yet done and requires much more work, but here's the Qubeley Papillon Definitive Edition thus far.

http://imgur.com/a/QSnZ9

This reminds me I need to get working on my metallic Dahack again. Only have the head and torso done so far since I have to hand brush it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

muike posted:

Oh come on it's not that bad. It's like a pose from a technical drawing.

Now I want to see Vitruvian Gundam.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess this is the best place to ask - is it possible to paint 'chromed' pieces without stripping the finish off first?

I just got the Bandai Captain Phasma kit and her blaster and hands all have the same chromed finish as the rest of her armor. It's nice and shiny, but still needs some detailing (like the palms of the gauntlets and the tubing on the blaster barrel).

I could probably strip the finish of the blaster and paint it all, but I don't want the ruin the finish in the hands.

Anyone know of a work around?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

There's also the Hyper Gunpla Battle Weapons which has a spiked bat that was used in a Gunpla Baseball game in GBF

Also a giant pair of scissors and rocket-propelled hedge clippers or something.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a kapool Haro model coming out for build divers? I want one

You mean the Momo Kapool?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can it fit a Pettitguy instead of the Sinanju?

I mean, it's one I plan on getting anyway, but I still want to know in advance.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Judging by the bazooka design that's either a char-sized Zaku Bazooka or a Zaku-sized Char.

Please be the latter.

It's an HG Char.

Now I'm hoping this happens in GBD

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

Can someone explain what this is?

【New Products】 God Flexible Rod http://goo.gl/9efH6c

If you mix paint with a brush, the brush tip hurts.
To use brush for a long time
Dedicated tool is recommended for toning and stirring!

The tip of the spinning rod is rounded
Stir well till the bottom of the bottle
It is mixed smoothly on the pallet.

Let's twirl around together!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Fat rear end Jegan?

Je-gantic or Jegan-tic. Gigantic. Something. Whatever gently caress you too.

Paint it white, call it a PAWJ.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

Yesterday I spray painted Mr Super Clear matte on my Jesta Cannon but it was like 80% humidity so basically the entire thing frosted over. One leg went from dark blue to almost white.

I'm considering leaving it that way bc it actually works with the color scheme and he looks like an arctic robot but since I've come to terms with that, I'm going to do science and spray on another coat. A few people online say the paint chemicals will slightly dissolve the air bubbles trapped underneath and kinda reset the leveling process.

Will post an update with results!

The way I've always heard and have used on minis is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDOcdA00rO8

Which is basically to brush on gloss varnish (I use Pledge Floor Care Finish aka Future), then matte varnish again - either with a brush-on or spraying when conditions are better.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

South Bronx Paradise diet workin' good.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do Gundam instructions come in English?

The newer ones do. I have an SDCS Crossbone with English. The older ones might not.

That said, if you can assemble IKEA furniture or put together a Lego set, you should be able to do a Gunpla without English text. Just follow the pictures.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ranzear posted:

I would absolutely go to a Japanese baseball game if the beer is as good and cheap as everywhere else in Japan. Plastic robits are a non-factor. It being 35-38c outside last time I was there would have been an issue though, and next time will be a bit too chilly instead.

According to some annoying Canadians, at least one Japanese stadiums has a "Bring wahtever outside drink you want, but we just need to pour it in this cup for you" policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBiWm4FdMBk

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ranzear posted:

They don't vend beer at the park?

Because I'll tell you right now: You wouldn't need to bring your own if they did. I didn't have a single bad tap there even at the strip mall joint under the hotel. Everything was a decent pale ale or something, usually in adorable 350ml steins.

And I am one of those heinous snobs who won't touch anything InBev. Elysian is dead to me after they sold out. I call out Blue Moon for just being carefully craft-branded Coors. You get the picture.

In that video the dude buys a glass of red wine and a 750 yen cup of beer from a concessions lady walking through the stands with a keg on her back.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kuvo posted:

some good stuff in here, laughed at this one

Even Gunpla mocks Laura Loomer

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Gonna give this a try.
On a related note, what does everyone do with their dulled blades? I feel they're still way too sharp to put in the garbage. I usually bought Xacto packs that had that included dispenser/sharps container and just tossed it.

I have an old plastic container... I think it held fried onions or something. Cut a slot in the lid, then tape it on good and secure.

Maybe I should use something more sturdy, but it's got... Like maybe ten blades in it so far, so I figure I got time

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Null of Undefined posted:

So I'm just gonna post one more thing I did then I promise I'll go back to permalurking

People keep recommending /r/imsorryjon to me. Now I'm going to fire back with "But have you seen /r/imsorryvegeta?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've had some 30MM stuff in my Amazon wishlist for a while, waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger, so I'm in.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kuvo posted:

kinda want to pick this up just so i can make it do jojo poses

You can do other things with it?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cool, I think that's the assembly stage complete.

Just gotta figure out a color scheme and... Get up the gumption to paint the drat thing...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gunpla is waaaaaaagggghhh!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm about to get my HLJ private warehouse shipped with it, just trying to think if there's anything else I want.

Has anyone done any Cross Silhouette figures? Might get the GaoGaiGar, looks pretty neat.

I've partially built the SD Crossbone using a CS frame. It's still in subassembies though until the bottles of Mecha and Shifters arrive, so I can't comment too much.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The G-Reco kits are good. The only real problem is the G-Self itself, which has a design that does not lend itself to the HG format. A lot of the cool light up blue parts on the MS are just stickers on the kit.

But beyond that issue, the G-Reco HG line is all good.

Also G-Reco didn't flop

Dahack was my second kit after the Gouf R35.

I apparently have a type and that type is blue with dual shields.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

yeah sure

grunt suit group build, from today until end of october

gms, zakus, mocks, petitguys, grimoire, leo, death army, kapool, etc

if you have a question about whether it counts post here and ill make an arbitrary judgement

So, basically anything that, if you check on Gundam Wiki, is described as "Mass-produced"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was debating on holding off on buying because Gundam Planet is apparently breaking out the emergency gunpla reserves for stock, but then I saw that there's now a Haropla then has the keyboard and now I guess I'm gonna be working on a Zaku for the group build...