Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just got into building these. I fear my future. I started with some 30mm ones and it was a chill easy time.

I've heard the new lines are fun to build but the witch kits seem to be only just arriving. Which other lines are good/fun to build - and maybe avoid? After ordering a Reincar I got warned the ibo line isn't a good build time. It looked cool and has a big sword. I thought it would be nice. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

IBO kits are great. It's just that they tend to get a bit floppy with age unless you tighten the joints, and some of the more topheavy ones can slump.

It'll be a fun, easy build. Don't worry.

Good to hear! I've also got a sinanju stein sitting in a box. Gonna save that one for when I have more experience with properly murdering nubbies.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

IG-88 posted:

Oh dear what have I done

This made me realise there's a few designs coming out I hadn't seen yet! Is there some place with a full catalogue? I feel like I'm overlooking all sorts of cool designs but I don't know where to look.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Built my Reincar. Pretty nice build! After messing around with posing it the joints finally started being easier to adjust but now the torso > pelvis connector easily gets lose. How do you reinforce a joint that loosens up too quickly? add a bit of tape or something?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I now added a set of cheap generic nano glass files, a basic nail buffer and some transparant nail polish to my build tools. Tested it on my 30mm's and fixed a few things on my Reincar. This makes all the difference. I now feel like I can build my 1/144 Stein(narrative ver) and make it the prettiest princess.

Next step: action bases, Tamiya panel liner/enamel thinner and Bandai panel liner pens.

Does anyone know what those little paint assisters are called; they're like these small heavy blocks that have bendable metal arms and grabby hands stick out so its easy to have them hold your stuff for you.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:hmmyes: third hand seems to do the trick. Will look into those thanks for the help.

The additional discussion made me realise I need to read more about plastic-paint interactions.

Puddin posted:

I've heard people bash on about how the Moon Gundam is the best HG, but I legit think the Stein Narrative is the best. Even without paint it just looks so drat good out of the box.

Yeah totally. I need to look for more less gundam looking mobile suits. I've got nothing against the actual gundams but I feel more drawn towards the less gundammy designs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

SnakesRevenge posted:

Speaking of which, the Gundam Planet nippers have been out of stock for a year. Do I need to just pony up for Godhands at this point?

In the same vein; I'm loving my non brand budget nano file but with both the nano file and hobby knife I often still have a small flat rectangle area that is perfectly flush but seems to have a different type of surface. Like its polished more than the rest. How would I get rid of this effect? My nail buffers don't seem to work. I figured they'd do the trick...

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Im trying to find the knight Spinatio in Europe(Im in NL) and Im having bad luck finding a place. If anyone knows an eu store with the little knight guy I'd appreciate it a lot. :shobon:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Skios posted:

I preordered it here.

Awesome. They have a lot of stuff the other stores were having issues with!

SnakesRevenge posted:

For this I like to use a melamine sponge (magic eraser) to rough the area back up, it matches pretty well with the surface kits come with.

Tin Tim posted:

Try a sanding tool (paper/stick/sponge) in 2k or 2.5k grit. The thing about a lot of glass files is that they have a very high grit count (10k+) which will make surfaces glossy/shiny eventually

:hmmyes: magic eraser acquired. The toolkit hungers. The toolkit grows.

Currently looking into the whole tamiya panel line / enamel process. I wish I could airbrush the protective layer(top coat?) on but I have one room to do it all in and don't want to expose my cat to fumes. I just wanna make the parts ever so slightly less pristine, if that makes sense.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Pierson posted:

You sound like you're in the same situation as me and I keep a window open as I'm spraying, leave the window open once I'm done, and if I did 2-3 coats I just leave the room for 10-15 mins and let a draught blow out the last fumes. There's a small noticeable smell for a few mins but no headaches or other ill-effects.

Edit; oh you mentioned a cat, my bad. Is the cat amenable to treats to bribe it out of the room?

Haha im sure I could lure him out the room but that means I have to trap him inside a small room for a bit.

But then again if its just a short time it would be an option. Hmm.

Do you just need a top coat if you're working with panel liners and enamel thinner?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

So do all P Bandai releases occasionally return? That Spartan did, it seems.

Im asking because if that is the case I can just tell this to my FOMO to shut it up.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:hmmyes: thanks my droogs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Ive seen a few video's where the runners connect to the parts on the inside lining of the parts and it kinda seems like the superior way to do it and yet its barely done on the kits Ive had so far.

Is it more difficult to construct the runners that way or something

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

E: first post somehow came through?? Lol oops.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Wow that rg zgok looks good and I just did a little look around and the price around here is no higher than the hg stein narr version.

Haven't done rg before so I think its time to dip into this!

E: in the same vein Im getting intrigued by that evangelion rg. I dig the complex torso. Are they all of the same quality? I kinda want to get the darker one, unit 4-5 idk the numbering on it. The goth eva. Yall know the one.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 15, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Awesome thanks. Gonna chase that goth eva.

I've been oogling potential Z'goks and got spoiled for choice. I've got some gift certs for this store so its basically "free". But I didnt expect so many Z'Goks! This thing is popular it seems.

I dont mind the red pinkish version but the blue one looks kinda cool but idk about the build quality.

E: the more I look at them the more I like them. Its like an unofficial megaman boss or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 15, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Z'gok is best boi :frogc00l:

The red and blue HG kit are exactly the same except for the color so maybe think about if you really want both of them. I was good with just the Char Custom (red) and would only buy the other one if I ever want to recreate the green paint scheme. The HG is an old kit so it's a little plain on the details and the joint system is more simple than what you see in modern kits. It's not bad but the legs are a little loose in the thigh connector imo and the joint connector system in the body does carry an increased risk for breaking if you handle the model too roughly. Still enjoyed the build though and I like my boi very much!

Also I have decided my first collector goal is to get all (or at least most) of the water bois. This week I got the HG Gogg, Acguy, Z'gok-E and the Hygogg. Which means that I have now joined the ranks of backlog havers :v:

:hmmyes:

I hope more kits have stuff like the eva torso and these tube noodle arms. I like mechanisms.

I don't like having backlogs tho. I'm on the verge of creating one. gently caress. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah I noticed it might just be inevitable haha.

I noticed some of these kits have inner frames with actual actuated pistons in them. They're not even visible when its all fully assembled!

And I like it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yoooo that HY Gogg and Z'Gok E look cool. Are they also a fun build or is this old skool harrowing stuff?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Z'Gok tomorrow! :woop:

Tried looking for review and stuff and saw a few build videos. Some have regular stickers and some have water slides. Same logos and stuff just better material. Gonna have to look into that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Thats awesome news I got the RG.

Never worked with slides. They don't look that had to use. I see people use small sticks to position them. Time to steal a few from work.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Mindblast posted:

Thats awesome news I got the RG.

Never worked with slides. They don't look that had to use. I see people use small sticks to position them. Time to steal a few from work.

:saddowns: turns out I didnt know how to differentiate between certain light blue and green colors and these stickers are normal ones. Good thing I didnt try dipping them in water. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Pierson posted:

The aerial is a lovely kit. It doesn't show up on photos very well but I did metallic colours for the whole thing and the white parts have a light silver coat over it to try and get the weird pearl-ish effect from the boxart.

That's all my HGs done. Time to move on to the big MG boxes I have been salivating over since xmas.

Good poo poo! Hope the mgs get the same treatment.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nearly done with my Z'gok and of course nearly near the end I almost gently caress up! He has these small little end caps for the shoulders that make them look a little more neat. After popping the first on I noticed there was a little more to file off so I tried to pull the piece off...

...and since its U shaped I pinched it while pulling it off and it started bending inwards and getting white stress marks. :byodood:

Its not like my nub cutting was perfect anyway so its not like it was going to be perfect if it werent for this one blemish. Even when I properly file the nubs down with a nano file, to a flat smooth surface with zero bump, there's often a little white rectangle outline that even with more sanding/polish will not go away. Luckily these become hard to notice when the build is together.

e: getting random ads to buy rg z'goks from Amazon and stuff now, lol. Man, these kits are expensive in other countries. I see this little dude go for 60+ euro/dollars. Around here he's no more expensive than a HG Sinanju Stein narr ver.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

gently caress yeah, lets go. This guy is cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

haha it can't hold the position for long. the shoulder is fine but all the other parts of the tube arm noodle flubber way too easily and so it wants to topple all the time.

I dont want to wear out the noodle tubes too much, too.. I heard there's such a thing as "early rg syndrome" or whatever so yeah. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Lil bro has seen the fun in plamo but just doesn't have the time in his schedule(lotta work, two kids etc). He's been checking out the Rebuild films lately and he just had his bday. So I'm putting together an Eva-01 for him right now. Cool kit! I like all the little mechanisms. Upper arms feel slightly dodgy, like they can come off rather easily. And it's so balanced. I can just plunk it down and without tinkering it will immediately stay upright.

He's going to like it I think. He better keep it away from his kids tho... they're kinda rowdy.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nano glass file in general is a sweet upgrade. I got generic ones from amazon at some point and they're nice.

Just make sure it says Nano in the description. Tons of other glass files available. If it doesn't mention nano assume its not the correct type.

You can get packs of 2-4 files for roughly 10 euros/bucks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I have more affinity with the grunts and bad guy suits than the actual gunhams. I hope that latest gruny model in Witch gets a solid model.

Have they made any rg grunts in recent years?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh cool I'll go look it up!

Fake edit: oh, oh.... thats... weird. I have a hard time putting my finger on it but I kinda don't like this design. I really liked the rg zgok and this seems to have been designed later but yeah. Oh well, still looking forward to the witch line.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Oh, I meant to ask is it the design or the color putting you off? Because personally I don't like the JR red and black and gold. They all look too saturated for me, kinda like someone put in hex codes for #FF0000 and #000000 and called it a day. Of course the R-2 variant is the one that got the RG. There's an HG R-1 variant out there which shares the backpack and general design, but goes for a different leg thruster configuration. Look up MS-06R-1 or "Shin Matsunaga." That'll give you an idea of the silhouette with a different color scheme at least.

But unfortunately for you, the only "grunt" suits in the RG line are the MS-06S (Char's Zaku II Commander type), MS-06F (Mass-production Zaku II), MSM-07S (Char's Z'gok), and the MS-06R-2 (Johnny Ridden's Zaku II High Mobility Type). Char's suits are all just red versions of other mass-production grunt suits--even the MS-06S which was basically just a Zaku II with slightly higher specs and communication equipment intended for leadership use. On paper the Z'gok is also a commander type, but visually they're loving identical. Guess the designers ran out of budget on that one. Only Johnny's is actually 'limited run' as far as the canon is concerned, since only a couple of the R-2 block were actually built and all of them were assigned to ace pilots.

I don't have that much experience with RG quality. I've seen some RG gundam video's and built an RG unit 01 and RG Z'gok. I've seen a few video's now on this RG zaku and it just has a different feel to it. Maybe the video quality was just bad but the model kinda looked like an older HG than something that is supposed to be "master grade, but smaller". It could also just be a taste thing! Eye of the beholder and all that stuff.

But yeah I'd love more Grunt units north of HG. For now I'll just see if I can get my hands on that Heavy Zowort.

I'm also seeing more info pop up on those two gundams that appear to be mass production models. The ones with the muted colors. I especially dig the one with the blunt robo sword mace. That head model is cool. Its like an evil gundam clone or something.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nice. Where can I buy those?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh. Bad assumption on my part. I can't read the text.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

What're the odds bandai will skip over the prodoros and sedultor.

It feels odd some of them got announced way back when and these two weren't. Feels like they got skipped or something.

Hand over the designs Bandai I'll go melt the plastic myself.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Spitfires posted:

I thought that too but the socket is widened too much. Maybe theres a way to coat the ball slightly to make it secure again, I've seen people mention super glue to that's worth a try.

Ive used a lick of nail polish to thicken up ball joints and that worked pretty well. My Reincar kept falling apart because the torso and hips are joined by a single ball joint that was way too loose. The polish fixed it entirely.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I'm also eyeballing that kit. It looks like its way more detailed than you usually get from a kit so I'm guessing this is delivered without any color and you'll have to paint it yourself? If it came as detailed as the promo makes it seem I'd expect a heavier price tag than that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

This doesn't bode well for grunt kits... :saddowns::arghfist:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Watched some more gunpla reviews.

The overal vibe of that Out Of Frame(colorvshape) is really good, but the camera feels odd. It seems people like it enough...

At this rate Im gonna get a premium astray. Its just a matter of when.

And I even told myself I wouldn't get 1/100 sizes. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.hlj.com/1-100-scale-nonzero-series-the-entropy-of-titans-raijin-nzs-05-3-hxn50142

I have no experience with this company but the kit looks really cool and for how it looks and does the prices seem alright.

Someone got an early copy of this kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX2ydg202bg

USA gundam store seems to have it for a pretty drat affordable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's an interesting design. I'm not a fan of the short forearm cannons though, I think it would've been better if they'd gone for maybe gatling guns there. Mix up the weapon designs a little beyond the blocky barrels of the shoulder and back cannons. Or at least have them telescope out a bit to fire.

Lower arm guns are optional and you can actually attach the two blue back cannons in their place. They seem less rectangular. Or you could just leave all of this off and turn this guy into a big hammer dude with a posable swagger cape.

MechaX posted:

I've been getting quite a few 3rd party kits advertised by Newtype.us and while I liked a lot of them, I thought a few were a bit overdesigned and expensive

This though I might legit try to pick up if my next pay check allows

Edit: actually wait, gently caress I was going to check out that third party Infinite Dimension Genesis kit first

The backlog problem is real. Will you submit to the siren song?

TaurusOxford posted:

Fun fact: this company was formerly known as Model Comprehend, the old-rear end third party responsible for the "Gundooms".

https://showzstore.com/hemoxian-nzs-05-3-thor-mecha_p4896.html

Edit: it'll be available here as well (probably a little faster) https://www.gundammodelcenter.com/index.php?route=common/home

Oh poo poo, nice. I'm in NL so I'm going to have to look into how much it would actually cost to get here. Some goods can be transported easily and for others there's import costs.

Those are some really good price tags, jfc. Never thought I'd consider getting anything looking like a perfect grade because the prices always seemed absurd(150+ is a little much for me), but now...