Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Climax is a city in Minnesota. Over here in North Dakota, we still talk about the 100% legit AP headline that read "Fertile Woman Dies in Climax."

Some people add "on the way to Moorhead," which would be plausible, but wasn't in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Things you never, ever type into your dummy text box, even without intending to print a proof, even as a joke for a coworker ... :stare:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure my old paper once printed a cutline that used the phrase "filling the panties" on a picture about food pantries needing donations. Wasn't on a page of mine, thankfully.

We also used the headline "HE BEAT IT" when Michael Jackson was acquitted, and no one who was working that day thought there was a double entendre in it. It happened that all 3-4 of us under-30 copy editors had that day off. We explained it to the rest of the desk - and the editor, and the city editor - when we came to work the next day.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Not My Leg posted:

Still not a great name to be stuck with. "Enema" isn't an insult in the United States, but I wouldn't want to be named "Mr. Enema" and I would laugh at an article about an Enema probe.
My British-English-speaking German ex had to ask me to explain what douche meant in America, as the only meaning he knew for it was "shower."

That was about 20 years ago, though, and I'd imagine the American usage has spread via the internet since then, both clinical and insulting.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I knew a Bobby Brown in the early 90s. Fat white kid who played the accordion.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

razorrozar posted:

I thought this was that thread :saddowns:

Oh, poo poo, so did I. :doh:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I must be missing something. Cute pic, normal-sounding headlines ...?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My ex (who at 40 still looks 22) always said he had Dick Clark Syndrome.

Kids these days don't know what that means. :(

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Hey, that's a headline in Plague Inc. I thought that was one of the ones they just made up.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Especially in Russia.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/sitemap/free/1998/4/article/woman-bests-bear/291519.html

quote:

MOSCOW -- An elderly Russian woman came out on top in a showdown with a bear, dispatching the attacking beast with a knife, Itar-Tass reported Tuesday.

Nina Bogdanova, a retired post office manager from the village of Bobrovets in western Russia, went to the woods one day earlier this month to cut tree branches to use as fishing rods, the news agency reported.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
A friend hit a moose on the highway once in a small, older car. The hood was smashed, the windshield was broken, the car was totalled. The moose stood up, gave them a dirty look, and walked away.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My brain came up with a variety of answers for what sort of object an "Asbo" might be before I got around to looking it up. Cane? Weapon? Protective helmet? Brand of telephone? :confused:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Is that for real?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My college paper actually used "peeing tom" in a headline, on purpose. Dude was caught urinating while looking in a window.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

quote:

"I can have an energy orgasm, which means an orgasm with takes place without touch, meaning I can have sex with my partner when he's on the other side of the room or even on the other side of the planet.

"So even hearing his voice or just thinking about him, I can have an orgasm."
I'd like what she's having.

Edit:

Dienes posted:

I'm sorry you haven't figured out how to use AdBlock yet.
AdBlock doesn't load the rest of the article for you on these, as far as I know.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
You don't need German to see that the Donkey Kong picture is Pokemon and the Link pic is Yoshi.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
And the fact that there's no sexual assault charge suggests that she was fine with him getting all up in her business until she realized he was trying to steal her stash.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

drgnwr1 posted:

Perhaps she was a biggin and was just happy that someone was paying attention to her, even if it was in the process of robbing her?

What the gently caress is this bullshit.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, it was the "lololol, fat girls are ugly and desperate" thing I was calling bullshit on. It's like he's 12 and we're in 1985 or something. Geez.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
And yet I bet most Americans still subconsciously think that Brits are inherently classier and more sophisticated than we are. (This is why y'all are the villains in every Hollywood movie.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I always thought "rasher" meant the whole package of bacon, for some reason.

I would just say "a piece of bacon," normally. "Strip" works too.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually 'the Suffragette who knew Jiu-Jitsu' was real.

That is amazing. (I suspect all these kick-rear end women were featured in 19th century tabloids precisely because women were seen as weak and helpless back then, so it was ~shocking~ when a woman did something badass.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The real problem here is the hyphen abuse.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aesop Poprock posted:

There's a scene where the dude uses a dildo and the girl somehow has no idea it's not a real dick, you're reaching.
Still think this is totally plausible (I'm not joking). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, personally, anyway.

Also I made this point when the same story was on Jezebel a couple days ago, and a dude tried to mansplain vaginas to me on the basis that his wife says he knows her vagina better than she does. Um, sure. That's believable.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Geokinesis posted:

Journalist went off to the pub for a liquid lunch.
Any journalist worth his or her salt should be able to type a complete, readable story with one finger while half-passed out on the desk, and send it to the editor before blacking out completely. :colbert:

Inside joke maybe?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I like that he's described as being "very white." Yes indeed.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Nostradingus posted:

Since when did New York have a "correct" color scheme?

Well, whatever it is, that ain't it - that's the exact color scheme and font of the Brooklyn Dodgers, who stopped being the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1950s.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Antivehicular posted:

This is fake, right? I don't want to believe someone actually said that about their freshly-dead toddler.

quote:

Sam, who was almost two years old, had suffered Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) in June 2012.

Either fake, or terrible journalism. There's no such thing as SIDS affecting toddlers. Either it's straight-up fake, the information is wrong, or someone smothered that kid.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Istari posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't even the cheapest, crappiest newspapers have editors whose job is to avoid things like this ?
I don't know if things have changed since I got out of the industry in 2009, but where I worked, we didn't see the ad content until the paper printed. The news department put the news in around the spaces where ads would go, and someone else loaded the ads and shipped the pages out.

This had horrifying/hilarious unintended consequences one time when an ad about Barack Obama's presidential campaign was prominently placed next to a grocery store ad promoting fried chicken and watermelon. We had a bunch of pissed-off readers. It really was an accident!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Postal Parcel posted:

Pookel--->PK(oo)...el--->PCOSBill puppet account spotted
Can't tell if this is serious, but no. Who the gently caress is PCOSBill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Jesus Statue’s Butt Was Hiding A 240-Year-Old Secret Message

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jesus-statue-butt-message_us_5a24eff7e4b0a02abe92146e