Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Theris posted:

I have a 30 mile commute, of which about a half mile is not urban or suburban interstate. Turns out that much interstate driving teaches you how to be aware of what's happening beyond the bumper of the vehicle immediately in front of you, as well as how to adjust your following distance and positioning within traffic based on how well you can or cannot see what's happening ahead.

I eagerly look forward to the day when every car on the road has that degree of - or really, even better - awareness. The taste of unbelievably stupid poo poo human drivers do that that commute gives me on a daily basis is a big driver in my desire to get humans out from behind the wheel as soon as possible.

Anyway,

Edit: I realize that sounded super :smug:. I'm not trying to claim I'm some god of driving or anything, just that it's really unusual for there to be poo poo on the road with absolutely no way to tell until the vehicle right in front of you reacts. There's always stuff happening further ahead that can clue you in to it, and if not it means that traffic is light enough that you can actually keep a decent following distance.

Edit 2: I also wasn't saying in that first post that no car will ever have to swerve ever, just that "just brake" as an immediate reaction is a much more commonly viable thing than it would seem at first.

https://youtu.be/MrwxEX8qOxA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

titties posted:

As a guy in his mid-30's I can say that there were social networking sites pre-Myspace and we were using them, along with chat rooms and IMs. All of this poo poo is so old hat to us that our advanced techniques and secret lore seem bumbling to you only because you are still so naive

Go back to your Matlock grandpa

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

du -hast posted:

Having seen this a million times I just now saw the So Good You'll Suck Dick. I thought it was some joke about donuts not being wheat

Hell, I'd suck dick without donuts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Why do all these wackos write like this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Look sometimes snakes are just lonely

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

freeedr posted:

Ah yes, Indian food. Well known for lacking in spices and variety

Indians are always going to other countries but only eating at fast food chains from home and insisting people speak english

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Scathach posted:

John Wick didn't even use blanks. It was all special effects. There's no reason to use blanks for movies anymore.

yeah idgaf about cgi guns, though they should be using blood squibs dammit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Classy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

By popular demand posted:

poo poo, it looks so phallic held by a half naked Homer.

Wait, poo poo, they said Mozarella Stick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

In case anyone missed the relevant part, Bezos isn't paying for the dismantle. That's on the taxpayers. For the benefit of "job creation" aka Benzos high sees fleet cruiser.

JFC
E: oh nvm, gently caress bezos though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why the gently caress do you need a hut to fish on the ice? Are clothes not allowed on the ice?

(Fondly remembering the time when my mum was looking out the kitchen window and said: "Oh the neighbour's fishing on the ice again even though it's Spring already". I looked and said: "No he's not?". And it took us like a minute before it hit what had happened. [He was fine if a bit wet and cold.])

It's nicer when you have a bit of a cover to keep the wind off you. You don't need it, but it makes the difference between being able to go out early and stay out all day, and having to go home when the sun starts setting. Depending on where you are and what you're trying to catch you might only have a decent chance at late night and early morning.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

It also makes prostitution easier

That's just a bonus

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Domus posted:

It’s a stupid satire piece that someone thought was real, and it spread from there. Humans stick plenty of things in plenty of places, but live chicken in the rear end is not a real combo.

It'd have to be a pretty small chicken or a pretty big rear end

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

jury duty pays dirt and it really should pay like hundreds of dollars/hr soit can get deomgraphic pool that isnt just old people or NEETs.

Jury might not just do whatever the cops want that way tho

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

venus de lmao posted:

Regular-rear end grunts, sure, I'd believe that, but Special Forces? Aren't they supposed to be... I don't know, not stupid?

why would you think that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

I just want you to know that every day, whether or not the fourth estate deems it in the public interest to report such things, corporations are killing an incomprehensible number of creatures.

Hope that helps.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1519620892246089728

It's loving awful, I just want animals to be able to live, man

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pookah posted:

Rocket, aka arugula is excellent on a burger.

Yeah, it's excellent

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's a 24 hour Border Security Australia channel on 7Plus.

There's so many loving border security shows for a bunch of different countries and they're all terrible and racist. My parents used to watch em

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dachshundofdoom posted:

It's almost like--and hear me out here, I know this sounds crazy--it's almost like the fact that nobody wears their shoes into the house keeps the floors clean.

Americans love tracking mud, gravel and dog poo poo into their homes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

'Cause you're wearing shoes.

If you're an idiot yes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Oh wow good thing that bacteria is literally the only thing that sticks to shoes or feet and that visible sand, dirt and mud never ever gets on shoes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CordlessPen posted:

To me, these derails always read like "People in nice climates who mostly walk on concrete, asphalt and manicured lawns" VS "people in lovely climates who walk in snow or mud 9 months out of the year" and nobody realizes it.

What do americans do when it rains?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Carthag Tuek posted:

idk that using it as a bong is cruel when its already dead (assuming he fished it humanely i guess)

That second part isn't easy to do

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

If the category is called “digital arts/digitally-manipulated photography”, the artist is upfront about the method, and the judges are cool with it, I don’t see the problem.

I do not think that that is what happened.

I wonder if any of the artists whos works were included in the AI's training set were asked permission. IIRC it's been established that these AI generated works aren't copyrightable for exactly that reason.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Good dog

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Such Fun posted:

One of the guys in the article is actually a married father of three. He just has this notion that tall guys have it easier.
I don’t even think he’s completely wrong about that. But putting a surgical torture device in your bones to rectify that inequity is.. something.

dudes could just go to therapy for their body dysmorphia instead, probably a lot cheaper.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, I still think he's an rear end in a top hat but as far as "assholes who are bad at speaking but are president" goes I'd take him over Bush.

Why, his policies are essentially the same as Bush's

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Good for them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The MSJ posted:

Goons are not crowdfunding your funeral.

Now TBF there won't be anything left

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Just gotta pop em in for another five minutes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why would the union care about dildoing my coffee

Gotta let the union dildo guy do it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

my sister invited me and my husband to go to one of these in ontario

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

zedprime posted:

I slept on this because who clicks on link bait about big algae tanks. But lmao, they helpfully source a real article in a little link buried at the end that seems like an average university press release that actually explains it and proves the entire AI article wrong.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/liquid-tree-to-combat-air-pollution-in-belgrade/

quote:

“It all started with an appeal from the Development Program of the United Nations (UNDP Serbia) to tackle air pollution,” explains Ivan Spasojević, biophysicist and project coordinator of the Liquid 3 project at the Institute for Multidisciplinary Research.

Together with an architect and a phycologist, the scientists were looking for a way to combine the efficiency of microalgae to bind carbon dioxide with urban design. Their result, Liquid 3, was installed in September 2021 in front of the Municipality of Stari Grad in Belgrade.

quote:

The Liquid 3 photo-bioreactor consists of a glass tank filled with 600 litres of water and microalgae and a solar panel, which supplies electricity to a small pump. The pump brings air into the tank through tiny holes. The microalgae perform photosynthesis and convert water and CO2 into oxygen, which is released into the atmosphere. Biomass is a byproduct of the process.

Unlike regular trees, the facility requires more maintenance. Every month the amount of water with microalgae has to be changed almost entirely and the biomass has to be taken out.

quote:

But Spasojević emphasizes another advantage of microalgae. “They are more resistant to heavy metals than trees. Through analysis of biomass, we found that they clean 300 to 3,000 cubic meters of air from heavy metals,” he pointed out. The PM microscopic dust is a carrier of such substances. Most deaths from air pollution in Serbia are attributed to elevated levels of PM particles.

quote:

Ivan Spasojević wants to tackle the air pollution issue with Liquid 3 in densely populated urban areas where it’s not possible to establish green zones or where single trees cannot sufficiently clean the air. “Urban trees are suffering compared to trees in parks. They are exposed to a high level of toxic gases and dust, which covers their leaves, so they are less functional in binding carbon dioxide,” he underscored.

Therefore, Ivan Spasojević points out that it’s essential that microalgae can still bind carbon dioxide in the winter months when most trees lose their leaves and are not capable of performing photosynthesis. “We selected a robust type of microalgae that can deal with a temperature between five and 35 degrees Celsius,” he added.

It's actually pretty interesting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Archie0Grady/status/1647639326690357251

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I kept warning people that the animals would learn self defense one day, but no one listened

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
She could deal with the deugs and booze but she couldn't stand that he kept skippin Mambo's one through four

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ninurta posted:

On the one hand, that's a badass Ram. On the other hand, gently caress Texas and "game" hunters.

Yeah, they shoulda been making giant sheeps for the sake of making giant sheeps, not hunting trophies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Lone Badger posted:

I would accept it if they'd engineered them to the point that the hunters only had even odds.

That would make me more interested in hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Some of them, but I think cannibalism with them was more tied to warfare and religion.

I knew someone who worked as a nurse in that area during the eighties, and her stories were amazing. She told me that some of the peoples she had met practiced cannibalism within their lifetime, or at least within living memory, but even back then it was something deeply tied up in ritual and warfare. She said that she was more involved in treating arrow wounds and childbirth than anything like that.

Biden's claims sound more like a family story that you hear as a kid and take for granted, like how my family is sure that they invented the stroopwafel if only they had the paperwork to prove it....

AFAIK there haven't been any human societies where cannibalism was a regular occurrence for food instead of something tied to rituals, warfare/combst or funerals