Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I seriously doubt that, the possum would be dead... He probably shared the bottle and gave his new friend a few nips at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Actually following the link and reporting back, doing godly work. :3:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

English is a garbled mess of the worst parts of every other heavy drinking language ever created. Therefore it is the purest representation of humanity.

Uh excuse me? Kaikista muista juoppokielistä vai? Ei kai sentään.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Swans are usually so quick to judge, and then attack, people. Maybe this man has discovered the secret to swan-human harmony. Zeus raping that woman definitely does not count.

Zeus counts.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Former DILF posted:

i give it like maybe 5 years before the earth is surrounded by some bitcoiners dyson sphere

Former DILF posted:

actually thinking about it, if i don't surround the earth in a dyson sphere, I won't enjoy the benefits thereof so i think by the logic of hte market I'm obligated to begin a dyson sphere bitcoin mining entrepreneurship

A Dyson sphere would not surround the earth, it would replace it. It is a sphere build around and fully encompassing the Sun. You would live on the inside surface of the sphere. Well actually you wouldn't as such a megaconstruct is not really feasible for any civilization that would actually need to harness 100% of the energy of a star.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Still seems like a short term solution. I mean, the sun is going to burn out eventually and then what? Your stupid sphere is useless. We, as a species, need to find a way to generate endless power from cold, not heat. Why don't scientists just work on that? Idiots.

Well, there is zero-point energy. I mean not really but it's an idea.

Uh, and the sun is gonna be around for really long time. You don't need to plan your poo poo until the heat death, that's overkill.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Feb 19, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Samuringa posted:

They finally did it, the perfect con to get rid of tech bros

https://twitter.com/techinsider/status/973640227205144576

This reminds of The Quantum Thief. It's a good book you should read it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The hard thing about being tall is all the looks of reverence and adoration, fear occasionally, you get from the shorties. If you aren't really secure in who you are it can cause anxiety.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A dog could be CEO, just have the COO do the all the work, and occasionally go pet the dog for strategy advice.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Burkion posted:

Cause it don't mean poo poo.

I can say the words without embracing their meaning especially if it'll get me a job I want or just get me through the day if it's some official nonsense

That's how I feel about life. :shrug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm a video game player, what is so special about Fortnite that is inciting that kind of think piece?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The argument is not new, but the classics stick around. And, I guess I should also say, there may be some merit to those old fears. Take that as an admission that I am old now. Surrender to reality, and then cope with it best you can.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, the science says that art can’t encourage specific behaviour (so playing TF2 won’t make you blow off your own feet with a bazooka), but it can influence your worldview (so it may well help you think of Germans as psychotic mad scientists and Russians as big, violent, and none too bright, and make you slightly more open to the idea of solving problems through violence). Which isn’t really all that surprising when you think about it - how many cultural mores and perspectives on the world did you pick up from the entertainment you consume?

Video games are not exempt from scrutiny you would give any other form of art. I personally picked up nihilism, communism, mysticism, etc. (from books mostly) but I am a terrible nerd and most people will not have the same experience.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ser Pounce would not approve.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I read that as "Ghost Form" and it made more sense that way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You should drink fermented buttermilk, builds some character and is great for your guts and bones too.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Samuringa posted:

It was a terrible movie, no one should be forced to remember it.

I think I saw it, Rose MgGowan castrates a twink with garden scissors in the finale?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

That's The Doom Generation. It's not a good movie.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Nope. The twink gets castrated by Nazis. I can't remember whether they were played by Skinny Puppy or if that was another gang of thugs.

It's funny what little things stick in our minds. I always associated "generation X" with that movie.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Why would some future society wanna revive some dude? Isn't the brain and your mind a complex mess of firing neurons, a soup of chemicals, and some meat? You think you they can bring you back from some chunk of ice? Good luck dude.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I assume that is from discovery, so there would be no judge in the room.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's the god Saturn, also known as Kronos.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Korea being a former Japanese colony makes anti-Japanese sentiment sort of understandable. Like Irish people not caring for the English, Filipinos disliking Spaniards and/or Americans, or Algerians distrusting the French.

I imagine if the American ambassador to the Democratic Republic of the Congo was half Belgian and had a beard like King Leopold some people would be irked.

Is it xenophobic? Yes, but it's based on historical grievances rather than race.

This kind of sentiment is prevalent in Europe too. I only have personal experience with being a Finn, but here on public TV we literally show a film about fighting against a Russian invasion on independence day.

We have a conscription army, and everyone knows you are training to fight in case Russia invades again.

This probably sounds more extreme than it actually is, but all are just statements of fact. Finns also like selling things to Russia and being on Putin's good side.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Jan 2, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Seems like a fools errand, not just because jfc don't do that, but also because your proportions are gonna be all hosed up if you just lengthen your legs.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I tried to write a "clever" post but can't, i'm sleep deprived and half drunk. Still wanted to say Paul Verhoeven is a genius and an underrated director.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Magneto may actually be telekinetic and just thinks he's "the master of magnetism" so that's how he uses his power.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mario is also an artist and a magician, just see what he does with a flower or a raccoon suit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The Queen is just a muppet, the Crown, a metaphysical entity, is the one who owns all the poo poo.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

if we're dethroning God I'm in

Yes, now step in this salt circle and suck my dick, it's magic.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

luxury handset posted:

the article says these guys formed a corporation to purchase the house. everything they're doing is part of a business, it's just portrayed as a bunch of cool gamer friends living in a party mansion. it's calculated

I wanna say they calculated wrong, but who the gently caress knows anymore. Trump is president, big time streamers make lots of money, etc.

Also can someone explain McMansion beyond big expensive lovely house. Really get into the housing bubble and various grift involved with it. My theory is that America is a decaying nation, and the McMansions are just a symptom.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What a delightful animal abuse fantasy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Nah, they're just a modern version of something that's been happening for centuries.

The West Coast is booming (and other cities in the US, and suburbs being White Flighted to) so there's a crushing demand for housing, and a lot of wealth, back in the day this would've meant shanty towns and mansions for the wealthy andwhatnot, but we have codes and poo poo now, so instead it's tract homes and mcmansions, they are built to standard floor plans, out of the cheapest materials permissible, and codes are flaunted or skirted wherever possible.

The luxury features of yesteryear are replicated through structural foam, because marble and hand carved hardwoods are ruinously expensive. Most of these developments have arrangements where 1 or 2 out of 100 homes are inspected, so code violations and poo poo abound, but it takes a few years to realize your outlets are melting, and the tar paper on your roof is run under the flashing, and by the time you do, the development LLC has dissolved, and there's no one left to sue.

What makes these homes so attractive, is they're pre-built, all you have to do is plonk down a downpayment and take out a 30 year loan, and voila, brand spankin' new house.

The irony is, for 20-30% more you can contract a reputable design-build firm, and have them build you an entirely custom, beautiful house that is inspected for quality building at each step. My buddy down in CA works for a firm that does this, they specialize in sustainably sourced building materials, and eco friendly construction (solar, great insulation values etc) but it's way harder to get this done, since you have to organize a temporary place to live, construction loans etc.

It's by no means a new thing though, I've worked on houses built in Seattle from the Boeing Boom of the 50's all the way to the early 2000's that were just built like poo poo, usually we were remodeling them to a higher standard. I've seen a few on the East Coast that were falling down when they were built in the 1800s, and have been scabbed onto for over a century to keep them standing, barely, the Mcmansions of that era.

My own, current house was built as a temporary logging shelter in 1911, and whooo boy it's been an adventure.

E: this is meant specifically to place McMansions in a historical context, not to refute that America is a dying nation, btw.

Also thank you for this post, very informative.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The division between old and new money has always been there.

That said I would never buy a mansion of any kind if I won the "jackpot". It would be a network of luxurious apartments with almost no furniture or signs of life, in the centers of cities like London, NY, Prague, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

Because I'm not immune to aspirational wealth stuff and I actually hate the video game article for hitting too close to home, I ran the numbers on owning a network of studio apartments like that after winning the lottery. For the huge capital cost and ongoing costs of a luxury studio, you need to turn it into your job to administer them if you want more than 2 or 3. I.e. spend time and effort running them as AirBnBs or getting stuck in to real estate to buy in bubbling spots and sell before it pops. Your residuals from investing the lottery money elsewhere isn't going to cover more so you need to put the capital to work if you want to own more.

Owning that shits for the birds. Buy a bunker in the mountains and just visit cities.

Fair point, so just one in Helsinki and hotels for the rest of the world.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

How tall are you?

Or, how flightless bird are you?

Do you have a reference.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Goons aren't sex-mad, more like sex-sad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Well Thailand is the place to do that so I can't fault the monkeys for not doing their homework.

Shouldn't blame them really, they grew up in that culture.

Also Sperm Fountain, I bet it wasn't even real cum. :mad:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Are guys really gonna go into bi v gay in the weird news thread.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Even if it works perfectly 100% of the time (which it will not), and even if it never pokes out anyone’s eye or stabs their brain (which it will), the question is: why? Does anyone think that looks faster or more efficient than letting a person do it? Are they going to put these in drugstores like blood pressure testing machines? I’m just not seeing the market.

Why would anyone automate anything? Because it's more efficient. If the robot works you can fire the people who used to do its job. It will never be sick, never sleep, never unionize. Make no mistake capital wants to replace all humans with robots, because robots are slaves with no rights. Until Judgement Day anyway.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Why should he be fired? Flagellation is a time honored method of atonement.

Can't blame the dude 'cause his method of doing it was a little wrong.

Can catholic priests even be fired? Do they get moved to a closed convent in the Vatican or something if all else fails? Excommunicated by the pope?

The Catholic Church is like a crazy cult, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I want my simulant (check).