Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Not the only exciting thing to happen in Whitstable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPK7raS8Mos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

Brentwood residents angry that city is trying to plant trees in local park

When I read the title, I thought it was actually going to be a sensible complaint like the park being the only place local kids could play ball games or something but...

quote:

'If you give people more places to hide, more naughty things will be done,' said one tree opponent

So that's where Graham Chapman ended up.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

One of the many wonderful things about the ol' WWN was that they'd put weird-but-true things they'd found in overseas newspapers or medical journals or whatever right alongside the patently made-up stuff, e.g.:

Poor top model, ate a whole cauliflower, liver, steak, eggs, kidney, cheese, bread, mushrooms, carrots, peaches, pears, apples, bananas, plums, grapes, and milk, THEN DIED!

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

If you want a vision of the future Olympics, just picture an athlete fist-pumping their way through a race - forever.

FTFY

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Inceltown posted:

I can see how you get that but we're the country that lost a PM. He just went missing once and we never found him.

Missing, presumed drowned.

We named a sports centre after him:

Despite recent evidence, not all of Australia's PMs have been rear end in a top hat lizard-men, and it's at least plausible that Hawke would nick off to the pub. Keating? Not a chance, no-one would be headed to a wine bar in South Yarra from the MCG.

Edit: Dammit, beaten to the joke.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Don Gato posted:

Tradition is peer pressure from dead people, no one knows how it started but by Torah they're gonna keep doing it

By popular demand posted:

As a jew I can confirm.

FTFY

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

I can't stop laughing at this part:

quote:

"Elmo feels like a loving caged animal," one Elmo told us at the time. "Elmo says gently caress the law. Elmo also says gently caress the system. yeyheyheyyey!"

I keep hearing it in the Elmo voice in my head.

:same:

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Inspired by the marketing thread:

(Publication:The Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday, September 24, 1991)

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

Oddly enough, edgers aren’t just found at landscaping stores.

Yeah, that's next door.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Tei posted:

"sex in times of pandemia"

"The masque of the red balls"

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

There's nae rule in the book that says that a wee dug canna play football, ye ken.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

SAVING THE SIX-NIPPLED BREED: Mr. [Alexander Graham] Bell's Last Contribution to Science, with An Introduction by Mrs. Bell

"The problem therefore at the very outset narrowed down to the problem of multiplying the number of nipples found on a sheep".

Firewalled, alas, but here's the first page: https://academic.oup.com/jhered/article-abstract/14/3/99/791411?redirectedFrom=PDF

(yes, I know it's not as weird as I made it sound, but that sentence made me do it)

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Since the name in Hebrew was either Yehoshua or Yeshuah (salvation) I can absolutely confirm a clitoris is not involved.

That may be true for Jesus Christ (or bar Joseph) but is that also true for Jesus Chris?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They confused border security with god. You can argue semantics and rules-lawyer with one, but not the other.

I think if you're part of the main religous tradition that thinks arguing semantics and rules-lawyering with God is praxis, you'd be choosing a different argument than "pork is not food until it's cooked".

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Lady Disdain posted:

In my headcanon, this film ends with everyone in prison getting a real, good-natured hoot out of the loveable old getaway driver, and the film closes with a montage of him surrounded by all his affable new prison friends who love and respect him, and pat him on the back every time he walks past, and humour him by wearing the scarves he crochets them, probably set to Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.

e: Don't ruin this for me, please.

:shepspends: I'll watch this movie.

See also: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7959026/

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

At least Drew Brees is just an American football player, which doesn't seem particularly controversial

I thought this was NOLA (Robert E Lee Blvd is now Allen Toussaint Boulevard (local R&B legend, lived there for years)), but it looks like Austin, TX:

https://www.mic.com/articles/141741/poll-to-rename-robert-e-lee-elementary-school-gets-some-truly-terrible-suggestions (2016)

quote:

When the Austin Independent School District board voted last month to change the name of local Robert E. Lee Elementary school, they probably didn't expect that the community's suggestions for a new name would be so... well, awful.

After a March 28 vote to remove the Confederate general's name from the school, the board decided to ask for suggestions from the school community, NBC affiliate KXAN reported. The current leading candidate, with 45 nominations, is "Donald J. Trump Elementary." The decision came amid a larger trend of questioning Confederate memorials across the American South, given the Confederacy's legacy of violence, racism and white supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

the Biden family Wangs are the only bright spot we have in these troubling times.

I liked their first three albums, before they switched to the overproduced sound. Is the new one better?