Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Not only was this a real headline at one point, but it's the one they decided to use for this promo so these signs were at every McDonald's in town for several months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Can't not laugh at this guy's expression.
He was just trying to get some more Baja Blast to touch up his roots.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Careful everyone, the buttes are windy today.

In a related story, I am eight.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Welp.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

In Australia you don't vote for your PM, you vote for a representative in your area. The party that is able to get enough seats to hold the votes is the one that forms government. Quite often this involves dealing with 3rd parties (or cross benchers). The party that forms government elects a leader internally who becomes PM.

Internal machinations of late have meant that we're now on our 5th prime minister in 5 years. Kevin Rudd was well liked by the people but loathed internally, Julia Gillard was slaughtered in the press because Rupert Murdoch has a boner for right wing men rather than capable women and so she got replaced before an election with Kevin Rudd again but too late.

Then we got the onion eater (Tony Abbott, look it up. Raw onion, skin and all) who, will not loving a dead pig yet, managed to let his own hard right ideology get in the way of looking like an idiot 24 / 7. For 2 years he promised great things and spectacularly managed to choose the thing that most Australians find abhorrent, daft, pointless, damaging or all of the above. Abbott survived one spill 6 odd months ago ~60/40 to literally no one. 40 people in his own team would rather have had no one in charge (not quite how it works but still) than have him.

After making himself look worse at every step the hard right in the party decided they'd make the socially liberal, fiscally conservative guy eat a bunch of crow on everything he stood for and most of what the people liked him for they knifed the onion eater and put Turnbull in charge.

tl:dr The spill in this case is when there is a contest for leadership in the party that controls the government at that point in time, which happens to get us a new prime minister fairly frequently these days.

ninja edit: That smarmy grin for an avatar some kind soul bought me is our current pm.
Now explain Mitsubishi Diamond Days.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Has Bishopville's 'lizard man' returned? Looks like it.

Gators gonna gait.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It appears Rambo has many skills.

(Full gallery: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-florida-woman-pet-gator-20160314-story.html)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's it, that's the whole story.

Okay, there's one more picture of the dog watching the bear.

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sierra/dog-watches-bear-roaming-south-lake-tahoe-neighborhood/40469688

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Whatever language that is sure has a lot of butt letters in it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sadly no one seems to have pictures of the dog.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Burglar gets bupkis after busting through ceiling, steals play money

The reporter on the news clip deserves to have to live in Indio.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

*Sigh* It's a livin'.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

I mean, they might be. Bowser seems like the sort of monarch that might have a few children he is unaware of. They never were in any official way, though, as far as I know.

Here's where some goon posts a piece of fanart sent in to Nintendo Power to prove me wrong though, probably.
They were in the NES/SNES era. And they were surprisingly insistent about it, so maybe he does have something to hide.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

All the flooding has everyone a little worked up.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-6zJjwbl4

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The London Natural History Museum unveiled its new blue whale skeleton mount today. A fairly mundane article, if not for one caption.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40582046

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Based on the handful of times I've gone to a Nando's while on vacation in London, I don't think we really have an national-chain American equivalent of that level of restaurant. The closest thing I could compare it to is some of the upper-tier not-quite-fast-food burger places, like Fuddrucker's or Five Guys, but serving healthy chicken instead of burgers and fries so with a completely different clientele and atmosphere. Like it's not fast food, you wait in line to order your food but then wait 10-15 minutes for your order, then you can either eat it there or take it home, but there's no table service or anything.

Food-wise, the closest thing I can compare the chicken to is El Pollo Loco, but we only have those on the West Coast so that's not going to mean much to a lot of the US. We just don't have a lot of grilled chicken chains.

ReidRansom posted:

Not many though. I know there's one in DC next to Woodley Park station, but I think they're only in a couple of cities. Like, DC and some other place.
Apparently they're only around DC and Chicago, mostly DC. Weird.
https://www.nandosperiperi.com/eat/restaurants/all

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Psst! Look earlier in this very page!
Please, let's not let these sex clams divide us too.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Stolen painting of 3 bears playing golf found on Sacramento Craigslist

quote:

The painting was stolen from the Pacific Crest Gallery, 1001 Heavenly Village Way in South Lake Tahoe, on Dec. 9. The painting, which is valued at $1,195, was taken from the store’s front sidewalk display.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I have some bad news, and some good news.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/13/557652159/jeremy-the-lonely-left-twisting-snail-dies-but-knows-love-before-the-end

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Splicer posted:

While comforting in the long term, short and mid term our already hosed water system is going to lose a lot of biodiversity.
There's a bunch of species of whiptail lizards in Southwest US that all reproduce parthenogenetically. There's also a bunch of whiptails and other lizards that don't. Studies in the region have shown that when there's a natural disaster like a fire or something the parthenogenetic species get a leg-up on re-colonizing the area, but the other species follow behind and it all kind of evens out in the end. Being able to self-reproduce doesn't necessarily mean the crayfish are going to out-compete and replace everything native, especially when they're a near-bottom of the food chain species. Invasive species always suck and mess things up, but in my opinion all the news sites are just being sensationalist about this being some major ecological disaster. The biggest threat is to other crayfish species that can get out-competed in their specific niche, for just about every other species it'll probably be life as normal, just with a different swamp bug to eat/be eaten by.

Anyway here's the Queen of England with a very large man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5171891/Queen-cheerd-adoring-crowds-leaving-Goring.html

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If only they had had motorcycle helmets 2,000 years ago, Jesus might still be alive today.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

quote:

While visitors to the Hazrat Khan Jahan Ali Shrine in south-western Bangladesh believed feeding the crocodile would bring them good fortune, it brought the crocodile bad fortune, because it died from an obesity-related condition.
Excellent writing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Welll he clearly didn't teach them a single thing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Kins posted:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/internet-times-mahabharata-tripura-cm-205623970.html
(Wikipedia tells me that the events depicted in Mahabharata's exact date are unknown, but that 3102 BCE is a pretty popular guess)

quote:

Meanwhile, PM Narendra Modi himself said in October 2014 that Lord Ganesha had undergone plastic surgery via technology that Indians possessed at the time.
Wow, they really messed up his rhinoplasty.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

You must have been out of town, the park has been burned down. Repeatedly.
I hear it's okay to start using again once there's grass on the field.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Should have had that meth tested first, sounds like it might have gone off.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That is the grossest looking jerky I've ever seen.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Man arrested, accused of setting destructive California wildfire

He was so close to getting away with it, just a few minor slip-ups...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Can't be us this time, we don't have fireflies this far south.
Yes you do, I've seen them in the Everglades, but you escape this time anyway. This was Pennsylvania Man (and Woman).

https://www.wboy.com/news/police-pair-high-on-bath-salts-fired-gun-at-fireflies-mistaking-them-for-alien-lasers/1284881186

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Boy, paralysed, after tumor, fights back, to gain a black belt.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Devil just has really bad publicity.
There's a mountain in the San Francisco Bay Area named Mt. Diablo, and every once in a while some people try to get it renamed because it's evil and ungodly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Diablo#Attempts_to_rename

Wikipedia posted:

In 2005 Arthur Mijares from the neighboring town of Oakley, petitioned the federal government to change the name of the mountain, claiming it offended his Christian beliefs. Additionally, he claimed that Diablo is a living person, and so is banned under federal law. He initially suggested renaming the mountain Mount Kawukum, and later, Mount Yahweh. Other renaming suggestions by other individuals included Mount Miwok and Mount Ohlone, after local Indian tribal names. Finally he proposed Mount Reagan, but the board rejected it on the grounds that a person must be deceased for five years to have a geographic landmark named after them. Eventually, the U.S. Board on Geographic Names rejected the petitions, saying there was no compelling reason to change the name.

In summer of 2009 Mijares again proposed the name Mount Reagan to the United States Board of Geographic Names because Reagan was now an eligible recipient of a place name. The board gave the Contra Costa County Supervisor's Committee until March 31 to file an opinion. Individual members of the committee have responded that although they respect Reagan, Mount Reagan is not an appropriate name for the historic mountain. Later, the board unanimously voted against renaming the mountain, citing its historical significance.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Clearly this man is delicious.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This is the face of a man satisfied with his accomplishments.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wow she's gone full Amanda Bynes. Possibly even beyond Bynes. Attempted kidnapping's probably worse than attempted arson, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

quote:

"We got sick and tired of people bringing their urine containers,” Patel told the station. “They're just random people walking and it's happening every day.”

He says a woman became aggressive a few months ago when he asked her not to warm urine. She asked to see a sign that says it's not for that purpose. So he made one.

They're next door to a drug testing lab