Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Siivola posted:

[...]
Also, in the end, I think it's not very good a game. You could get pretty much the same thing with GURPS and a translated copy of Hagakure. Y'all should read Hagakure, it's just pages and pages of grouching from the gooniest old samurai.

Speaking of GURPS, how is GURPS Japan? It at least has a bibliography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Siivola posted:

The thing with vaguely medieval fantasy Europe is, by now it's basically a photocopy of a photocopy of someone's Late Medieval Warfare 101 notes. There isn't a whole lot left in there to get mad about, just dungeons on dragons on dungeons all the way down. L5R, on the other hand, takes a bunch of quite distinctly Japanese things, discards all the cool historical poo poo and just hacks everything into this world of frankly insane, irrational stereotypes. None of the characters in the game are actual people, they're just kimonos draped over mental health problems. And also terrible puns in broken Japanese. I wouldn't say it's the most offensive thing out there, but it's a big bundle of really shameless ~cultural appropriation~.

It's also pretty tone-deaf for using the real life slur "eta" to refer to their version of the real life Japanese social class of burakumin, who have been generally shat on non-stop over the centuries. It's kinda like having a slave class in your colonial New World game and insisting on calling them "niggers" in the text.

Also, in the end, I think it's not very good a game. You could get pretty much the same thing with GURPS and a translated copy of Hagakure. Y'all should read Hagakure, it's just pages and pages of grouching from the gooniest old samurai.

Who cares about cultural appropriation. Also, although the use of "eta" is probably inappropriate it's also not really in the same category as "friend of the family," given that the two words come from different cultures and historical contexts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm not the GURPS guy (paging doctor Paine!) so I can't tell. They apparently gave it to a Japanese person to comment on, so I guess that's something.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Who cares about cultural appropriation.
You should, because it's essentially taking a people's history and turning it into kitsch.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 30, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's kind of a big issue, mate, and something you should be caring about.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Lots of people, including probably most people in this thread! This is because it is a bad thing to do!

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Siivola posted:

I'm not the GURPS guy (paging doctor Paine!) so I can't tell. They apparently gave it to a Japanese person to comment on, so I guess that's something.

You should, because it's essentially taking a people's history and turning it into kitsch.

Covok posted:

It's kind of a big issue, mate, and something you should be caring about.

Ok. I'm on my way to Japan right now to give them a piece of my mind for portraying King Arthur as an anime girl, which is greatly disrespectful of English heritage.

I'll also yell at any white people I see wearing kimonos there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

scissorman posted:

Here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/16758/Sengoku-Revised-Edition

The full name is Sengoku: A Chanbara roleplaying game, with Chanbara basically being samurai period plays and movies e.g. the Kurosawa movies.
The system is basically Gurps + rules for honor and other relevant things like shinto rites and magic.
It has a ton of detail on Japanese people and society of that time period, so it's really good for that.

What I don't like is that's very light on GM rules on how to actually run the game.
It gives lots of tables to help you generate homes and towns, but gives no advice on how to actually structure a Chanbara adventure.
There's not even a sample adventure.

Another problem is that, at least for a layman like me, it's very hard to tell what part of the setting is actually historical and what's taken from somewhere else.
This is especially bad in the shinobi supplement I mentioned, where they seem to get a lot of information from the modern ninja traditions, which are somewhat iffy when it comes to accuracy.
It does give a bibliography but that's just a long list of books without any comment, so it's not that useful for anyone not already immersed in that field.

The company that published the game, Gold Rush games, seem to have vanished after making the game and the Shinobi supplement, which is a shame, since even though the game itself isn't that great, I'd really like to read some of those promised supplements such as a setting specifically set during the various wars in that era.

It's unfortunate they don't make that stuff more clear and distinct. To be honest, if you're going the "accurate depiction" angle, you should go whole hog and not use non-real sources for any of your stuff. It is annoying how there really isn't a market for people looking for accurate settings for their games. Games that claim to be realistic just end up being overly gritty and inaccurate with poo poo rules.

By the way, this game must be real old. I haven't heard of someone using the fuzion system in forever. Not only that, but it converts to HERO and AD&D 2e...and converts at all.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Fate/stay night portraying the mythical Arthur as a woman who disguised herself as a man is exactly the same thing as willfully misrepresenting the historical culture of an entire nation because

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I think that cultural appropriation in the form of borrowing elements from other cultural groups is inevitable for any cross-national context with heavy trade and interaction. And it doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

What is problematic is when people with no research go all Dan Brown and portray stuff they made up as "authentic." Or borrowing music/art/etc. without acknowledging and respecting the original creators.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 30, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Offensive cultural appropriation: Wearing religious symbols as a form of fashion, like a celtic cross or war bonnet, without any understanding of what it means.

"Who gives a poo poo" Tumblr-esque cultural appropriation: Idealized or otherwise incorrect depictions of samurai in a fantasy role playing game (which the Japanese definitely do not remotely care about).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think one thing about Legend of the Five Rings is that it was always more of historical Japan by way of Kurosawa and Musashi than anything historical. That's not to defend such, but that it has always drawn more from fiction and mythology than historical material. It's gotten better over time, and the 4th edition is far more nuanced than the 1st edition ever was, but it will always have that well-intentioned weeaboo air Wick and Dancey instilled into it. It's so much its own entrenched thing at this point that I'm not sure it could shake off all of that without becoming something essentially different, though I don't know why they haven't at least excised things like the aforementioned slurs. Even as an L5R fan I can't help but cringe like hell to hear the calls of "banzai!" from the CCG players, and I've outgrown the game to some extent because of nonsense like that.

Sengoku has the issue that when it was published, the history of feudal Japan here in the states wasn't as well-researched as it is now - which really shows up in the aforementioned Shinobi - so even the best academic research was limited. The main issue with researching that period and place is that some of the primary sources that were used by people in the past were biased as gently caress, so perfect accuracy is impossible, but it's now possible to be a lot better than we Americans have been in the past.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My major problem with the liberties in L5R is that they actually make things less interesting.

Like they give a real metaphysical basis to the caste system, with the noble families actually tied to the gods, but Kurosawa's Samurai films- probably the most common reference point for anyone playing samurai games- are all about how the class system was utter bullshit.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Maxwell Lord posted:

My major problem with the liberties in L5R is that they actually make things less interesting.

Like they give a real metaphysical basis to the caste system, with the noble families actually tied to the gods, but Kurosawa's Samurai films- probably the most common reference point for anyone playing samurai games- are all about how the class system was utter bullshit.

I cannot agree with this post more.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

"Who gives a poo poo" Tumblr-esque cultural appropriation: Idealized or otherwise incorrect depictions of samurai in a fantasy role playing game (which the Japanese definitely do not remotely care about).

A point and a counter-point:

1. There were some Japanese-Americans who weren't fond of the Burakumin vampire clan in NWoD, in part because Burakumin were a despised social group who still suffer discrimination today. They felt that the linking of the term with zombie-creating vampires was...crass.

2. Given that, L5R is a different RPG, and there have been times where white Westerners have directly talked down to minority groups who said "actually, this isn't really racist or hurtful to our group," so I can see how good intentions can go bad. I recall one incident years ago on The Gaming Den where the prevailing opinion was that 5th Edition was racist for having a chi power source for the monk class; a poster living in Beijing got hammered by the rest for saying that it wasn't because monks wielding chi were an actual thing that showed up in his country's philosophical traditions and literature. He said that it wasn't much different than Paladin's laying on hands being based on Western faith healing, and that a genuinely racist product would exotify or fetishize Asian culture as being "mysterious and foreign."

One of our posters Ewen Cluney lives in Japan as an expatriate. He probably has a much better idea on this issue and if L5R is Doing It Wrong.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 30, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

inklesspen posted:

Fate/stay night portraying the mythical Arthur as a woman who disguised herself as a man is exactly the same thing as willfully misrepresenting the historical culture of an entire nation because

Depicting King Arthur as an anime girl who fights anime fights with magic powers is a willful misrepresentation of English historical culture by reducing the Arthurian legends into a kitschy clash of superheroes.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Now this is a post I can get behind - an actual problem with the game. Also, I agree with you.

Libertad! posted:

A point and a counter-point:

1. There were some Japanese-Americans who weren't fond of the Burakumin vampire clan in NWoD, in part because Burakumin were a despised social group who still suffer discrimination today. They felt that the linking of the term with zombie-creating vampires was...crass.

2. Given that, L5R is a different RPG, and there have been times where white Westerners have directly talked down to minority groups who said "actually, this isn't really racist or hurtful to our group," so I can see how good intentions can go bad. I recall one incident years ago on The Gaming Den where the prevailing opinion was that 5th Edition was racist for having a chi power source as a monk class; a poster living in Beijing got hammered for saying that it wasn't because monks wielding chi were an actual thing that showed up in his country's philosophy and literature. He said that it wasn't much different than Paladin's laying on hands being based on Western faith healing, and that a genuinely racist product would exotify or fetishize Asians.

One of our posters Ewen Cluney lives in Japan as an expatriate. He probably has a much better idea on this issue.

#1 is an entirely different issue involving real-world discrimination, and is an entirely legitimate thing to get offended about, unlike basing your fantasy roleplaying game off of Kurosawa movies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's an excellent point to make, really. The worst was 1st edition, where commoners were literally inferior, which I found dumb and embarrassing even when I didn't know better. Later editions have given greater parity but never actual equality.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

To some extent; but the Legend of the Five Rings CCG flopped badly when marketed in Japan. Granted, that probably has as much to do with what's popular in games there as opposed to here, so it's hard to speak to the exact reasons. Whether or not gamers over there cared about Legend of the Five Rings I can't say, but they certainly didn't care for Legend of the Five Rings.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's an excellent point to make, really. The worst was 1st edition, where commoners were literally inferior, which I found dumb and embarrassing even when I didn't know better. Later editions have given greater parity but never actual equality.

To some extent; but the Legend of the Five Rings CCG flopped badly when marketed in Japan. Granted, that probably has as much to do with what's popular in games there as opposed to here, so it's hard to speak to the exact reasons. Whether or not gamers over there cared about Legend of the Five Rings I can't say, but they certainly didn't care for Legend of the Five Rings.

If I had to guess, the failure of L5R over in Japan was probably due to the fact that Japan has their own tabletop game and CCG industries. I think the last Western tabletop game that was popular in Japan was probably AD&D 2e and the last (and only) popular Western CCG was probably Magic the Gathering. And L5R is certainly neither of those.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Depicting King Arthur as an anime girl who fights anime fights with magic powers is a willful misrepresentation of English historical culture by reducing the Arthurian legends into a kitschy clash of superheroes.

I think it's worth pointing out that Arthur was... uh... not historical. It would probably be better to bring up something like Jeanne D'Arc to try and make that sort of point.

Of course "they did it so we should too" isn't necessarily the finest defense, either.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

If I had to guess, the failure of L5R over in Japan was probably due to the fact that Japan has their own tabletop game and CCG industries. I think the last Western tabletop game that was popular in Japan was probably AD&D 2e and the last (and only) popular Western CCG was probably Magic the Gathering. And L5R is certainly neither of those.

Well, there are myriad possible reasons, as I mentioned. From what I understand, they're just as entrenched in elves and dragons as we are, but have certainly branched out in different ways from there.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

We could go around in circles all day and guess as to how it was perceived, but unless we have market analysis or quotes from people in Japan or whatever we can only guess.

Which is why I suggested the idea of posted the Burakumin thing and the suggestion of getting commentary from Ewen Cluney or someone living in Japan over how foreigners' portrayal of fantasy not-Japan is regarded by gamers there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure D&D has been fairly consistently popular in Japan all the way through 4E actually, there was a thing about where the company that had the license to translate D&D into Japanese issued a statement where they apologized for not being able to translate 5E because Wizards decided they wanted to change how they were handling that or something. Also I vaguely recall something about Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu being fairly popular over there as well.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm pretty sure SAN checks have at least made their way into common Japanese nerd parlance.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I remember some random story about a Japanese (or Chinese?) army that was low on arrows so some brilliant general had his troops build a sort of boat out of river reeds. He then floated the thing up and down a river so that the enemy shot it a bunch of times.
The reeds caught the arrows and noone was hurt inside the boat. Then he returned to his side of the shore and harvested the arrows for his archers and looked smug at the opposing army.

Zhuge Liang at the Battle of Red Cliff. Although it was likely one of the fictional parts of the Romance of Three Kingdoms rather then something that actually happened. There is a pretty interesting adaptation done by John Woo after he went back to China. It's called Red Cliffs and the Chinese goverment gave him a poo poo ton of money to make the film. And he made Dynasty Warriors: The Film. It's not particularly accurate historically but it's John Woo doing massive battle scenes with lots of people being badass in various ways. It's up on Netflix and probably should be required watching for people who play Exalted.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Relevant: The Japanese Minister for Foreign Affairs back in 2007 discussed cultural exchange.

This quote talks about manga artists around the world:

quote:

I would like to touch now upon a few innovative developments before I conclude my address to you tonight.

One is an award which will be presented to up-and-coming foreign manga artists. We haven't yet settled upon just the right name for it, but it will be an award that will serve as a gateway, leading to even brighter careers for these prominent artists.

Manga, as a genre originating in Japan, is truly unique in its form of presentation and expression. In manga, it is possible to depict the realities of life or convey to the reader a person's innermost thoughts.

There are people who argue that diplomacy is the art of negotiation, but if you were to ask me, I would respond that if you really want to know what diplomacy entails, you should read the Yugo series by Shinji Makari.

Yugo appears as a running manga strip in the magazine Evening. It's the story of a tough negotiator who takes on all sorts of challenges around the world, wielding words as his only weapon.

In any event, I would like for Japan, as the origin of manga, to award to the standard-bearers appearing in the world of manga all around the globe a prize which carries real authority-the equivalent of a Nobel prize in manga. And I hope that by receiving that prize, they will have a feeling of association with Japan.

As a country with 100 million people, I'm definitely sure that there's a lot of opinions and I don't know how popular this viewpoint is, but it was an interesting read regarding the act of cultural appropriation and exchange.

He discussed it as a positive force for bringing the positive aspects of Japan around the world. He wasn't concerned inherently with foreigners taking Japanese cultural elements in and of itself, so much as whether or not the foreign image of Japan is a positive one.

quote:

When I start speaking about manga, in my case I find it pretty hard to stop, and I am going to force myself to move on here to the topic of what exactly diplomacy entails. First of all, I would like you to rid yourselves of any stereotypes that diplomacy means diplomats sitting around having dry, rarefied discussions with each other and classified, hush-hush negotiations.

What is the image that pops into someone's mind when they hear the name "Japan"? Is it a bright and positive image? Warm? Cool? The more these kinds of positive images pop up in a person's mind, the easier it becomes for Japan to get its views across over the long term. In other words, Japanese diplomacy is able to keep edging forward, bit by bit, and bring about better and better outcomes as a result.

Generally speaking, Japan has had a rather good track record in this area throughout history. Tea ceremony, for example, has always been coupled with the culture of Zen Buddhism, and even now it is receiving a significant amount of attention. You can say the same about Kabuki or Bunraku. Even if you have only a stereotypical, single-pattern image of Japan as being the land of Fujiyama and geisha, it is clear that there is nothing aggressive within that image at all-it is a very peaceful image.

So for this reason, in Poland and other countries-and this is something I heard directly from the Polish Foreign Minister the other day-when people hear the word "Japan," words such as "the cherry blossoms in bloom" automatically pop up in their minds, like a set phrase of sorts. Now if we are to say that foreign relations between Japan and Poland are going well, we would have to say that part of that stems from the fact that underlying our relationship is a positive image of Japanese culture.

So as we continue to get the word out on Japan's truly splendid traditional culture, and we are very fortunate that in addition to the items of Noh drama and Bunraku, tea ceremony and flower arranging, Japan also boasts many newer forms of culture that have a high degree of appeal.

This would be pop culture, including anime, music, and fashion among others, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is really going all out to "market" this, so to speak.

I believe most of you know the manga InuYasha. But you might not know that there is a Polish version of InuYasha.

Now I have to admit that I myself did not know this until the other day, when the Polish Foreign Minister presented me with a copy. It's a powerful example of just how far Japanese manga have come to be known around the world. I think we can safely say that any kind of cultural diplomacy that fails to take advantage of pop culture is not really worthy of being called "cultural diplomacy."

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 30, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's an important matter of degrees when it comes to how often and how stereotypical portrayals of something are. No one should give a poo poo about Lady Arthur because there are five billion different takes on Arthur, including a bunch of stuff that's about as accurate as you can get for a made-up dude. However, as mentioned, it's really hard to find variety and accuracy in the vein of L5R.

This is, in part, an element of the broader problem of exoticism. It's racist because it is a continuation of the same oversimplifications and stereotypes that were always there. "But it's meant to be inaccurate" is a pretty weak excuse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As someone else pointed out, it's also boring as poo poo. When I tried playing L5R back in high school, characters were so tightly bound to the ridiculous parody of honor the game used that there was no actual room to play your character, and the entire setting existed to reinforce that this was exactly how it should be.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that Arthur was... uh... not historical. It would probably be better to bring up something like Jeanne D'Arc to try and make that sort of point.

Yes, this Japanese video game makes light of a brutal series of European conflicts spanning a century that affected the lives of hundreds of thousands. Disgusting.

Libertad! posted:

Relevant: The Japanese Minister for Foreign Affairs back in 2007 discussed the growing rate of OEL (Original English Language) manga comics.

As a country with 100 million people, I'm definitely sure that there's a lot of opinions and I don't know how popular this viewpoint is, but it was an interesting read regarding the act of cultural appropriation and exchange.

He discussed it as a positive force for bringing the positive aspects of Japan around the world. He wasn't concerned inherently with foreigners taking Japanese cultural elements in and of itself, so much as whether or not the foreign image of Japan is a positive one.

This is a cool article.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

This is a cool article.

I further edited the post once I realized I didn't quote his statement on foreign manga: where he discusses the possibility of a Nobel Prize for manga artists around the world.

I had to search through Wikipedia to find it, and figured that it would be a good way of showing one potential Japanese viewpoint of cultural appropriation.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 30, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm pretty sure SAN checks have at least made their way into common Japanese nerd parlance.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

:staredog:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

As someone else pointed out, it's also boring as poo poo. When I tried playing L5R back in high school, characters were so tightly bound to the ridiculous parody of honor the game used that there was no actual room to play your character, and the entire setting existed to reinforce that this was exactly how it should be.

Yeah, even (or might I say especially) in otaku circles there's a problem of fetishizing Japanese culture, such as assuming you're equivalent to a scholarly expert on the country because you watched a lot of subbed anime. The criticism I hear about L5R point to the designers being like this at times.

I remember hearing some things that sounded weird even to 15-year-old me. For example, samurai could not eat sushi because fish meat was dead flesh and therefore unclean. To my knowledge real-world samurai weren't required to be strict vegetarians.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Libertad! posted:

Yeah, even (or might I say especially) in otaku circles there's a problem of fetishizing Japanese culture, such as assuming you're equivalent to a scholarly expert on the country because you watched a lot of subbed anime.

I remember hearing some things in L5R that sounded weird even to 15-year-old me. Such as the fact that samurai could not eat sushi because fish meat was dead flesh and therefore unclean. To my knowledge real-world samurai weren't required to be strict vegetarians.

If this was in the game it probably isn't anymore. I'm pretty sure the game has changed a lot since it was first released.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At least that's within the same region of SAN loss inducing, unlike this. Edit: For those of you worried, the picture is work safe, if you consider Cthulhu imagined as an anime woman to be work safe.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Yeah, even (or might I say especially) in otaku circles there's a problem of fetishizing Japanese culture, such as assuming you're equivalent to a scholarly expert on the country because you watched a lot of subbed anime. The criticism I hear about L5R point to the designers being like this at times.

I remember hearing some things that sounded weird even to 15-year-old me. For example, samurai could not eat sushi because fish meat was dead flesh and therefore unclean. To my knowledge real-world samurai weren't required to be strict vegetarians.

That's how I was viewing it when I read it and one reason I see it as annoying. As an anime fan, you see that kind of "I know Japan from watching anime" mentality all the time and it's really obnoxious. Seeing someone go so far as make an entire setting based on that mentality is like 1000x more obnoxious. Add that on top of John Wick's strict rules railroading (if you don't know, he has a long history of making games where you play his way or don't play) and you end up with a pretty unsatisfying product. Then, it turns out it's like the closet thing to getting a trpg set in fedual japan that is even remotely accurate.

Really wish there were more product that got away from medieval Europe and were, at the same time, good.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

inklesspen posted:

Because you're strawmanning? L5R makes up a fantasy world based on mostly Japanese culture but it never ever says, "Hey, this is what Japan was really like!" That is not willfully misrepresenting. What it does is exploit real and perceived visions of East Asian to make something new - the same loving way Conan does with Scandinavia, Rome and the Near East. They are both exploiting the fantastical, cultural and violent images in the common imagination to create a world similar enough to feel familiar, exotic enough to feel fresh and interesting, and different enough to feel like you can actually do crazy, escapist poo poo there and get away with it.

Is it simpler than real life? Yeah, duh. But the people who made L5R wanted so much to get all the cool, real-life details in their works that they didn't leave enough time (or have the skill) to make some realistic, completely three dimensional characters in the game. They left the big, recognizable personalities in the game, so the player would have adventurous costars in their game world.

And the players also got to learn about a bunch of weird, cool poo poo about Japan that they didn't know before, like how it's polite to decline a gift three times to allow the giver to show their sincerity, or about how the justice system values emotion appeal before logic. Weird, crazy poo poo that it was often hard to make a coherent game out of. But hey, you've got some cartoonish NPCs that can start throwing their weight around, make an adventure out of that!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program: sensitive, educated white people calling other sensitive, educated white people racist.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MartianAgitator posted:

Because you're strawmanning? L5R makes up a fantasy world based on mostly Japanese culture but it never ever says, "Hey, this is what Japan was really like!" That is not willfully misrepresenting. What it does is exploit real and perceived visions of East Asian to make something new - the same loving way Conan does

I don't think "Hey, Conan did it!" is as big a slam-dunk when attempting to defend against charges of racism as you may have hoped.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

fatherdog posted:

I don't think "Hey, Conan did it!" is as big a slam-dunk when attempting to defend against charges of racism as you may have hoped.

He's right though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MartianAgitator posted:

Because you're strawmanning? L5R makes up a fantasy world based on mostly Japanese culture but it never ever says, "Hey, this is what Japan was really like!" That is not willfully misrepresenting. What it does is exploit real and perceived visions of East Asian to make something new - the same loving way Conan does with Scandinavia, Rome and the Near East. They are both exploiting the fantastical, cultural and violent images in the common imagination to create a world similar enough to feel familiar, exotic enough to feel fresh and interesting, and different enough to feel like you can actually do crazy, escapist poo poo there and get away with it.

Is it simpler than real life? Yeah, duh. But the people who made L5R wanted so much to get all the cool, real-life details in their works that they didn't leave enough time (or have the skill) to make some realistic, completely three dimensional characters in the game. They left the big, recognizable personalities in the game, so the player would have adventurous costars in their game world.

And the players also got to learn about a bunch of weird, cool poo poo about Japan that they didn't know before, like how it's polite to decline a gift three times to allow the giver to show their sincerity, or about how the justice system values emotion appeal before logic. Weird, crazy poo poo that it was often hard to make a coherent game out of. But hey, you've got some cartoonish NPCs that can start throwing their weight around, make an adventure out of that!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program: sensitive, educated white people calling other sensitive, educated white people racist.

And yet, we still have the undeniable, ugly fact that the way Rokugan is set up makes it almost inevitably less interesting than Conan is in comparison to the real world equivalents. The Crane as an eternal, divinely appointed equivalent of the Heian-era Fujiwara are just less interesting. The merger of daimyo with kuge and both with samurai? Less interesting. Having a solid imperial rule rather than the struggle between Emperor and Shogun during the first two Shogunates is less interesting. Hell, even the notion of the Shadowlands is infinitely less interesting than yokai stories. Of course, a full primer on Japanese history and culture isn't possible, but having a history that's less interesting and less playable isn't necessary either. Granted, most of this is on John Wick.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

As someone else pointed out, it's also boring as poo poo.

It's true, nobody has enjoyed it over its fourteen years of continuous publication over four editions. :stare:

Honestly, the social restrictions are part of how I've built it up as an engaging game; trying to accomplish things within your social role and within the bounds of accepted is a challenge you don't see in a lot of other games. A lot of games set PCs up as rebels or outcasts; having them most often being conformists (though players can always defy that) sets up an entirely different dynamic to play with. Where the mold bends or breaks is where things get interesting, but you have to be willing to buy into it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Yes, this Japanese video game makes light of a brutal series of European conflicts spanning a century that affected the lives of hundreds of thousands. Disgusting.

I enjoyed playing through it. But I thought your strawman could use a little freshening up; it was looking a little worn.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

If this was in the game it probably isn't anymore. I'm pretty sure the game has changed a lot since it was first released.

It's never been the case. In Rokugan, the eating of red meat is considered scandalous or gross for the samurai caste, which is still true in 4th edition, but isn't a universally held belief. Some regions eat it anyway.

Ultimately I think Legend of the Five Rings has issues, but I think it's also a good springboard for thinking of this sort of thing. A lot of my reading on feudal Japan stems from running the game, and I tended to diverge towards historical Japan more than the game does. It's easy to think of it as a purely negative thing, but it can be positive for those who want to explore things more deeply than the stereotypes and notions the game sets up (some of which have real-world analogues, but which most of which don't).

Of course, those who find it offensive are free to speak up or just vote with their dollars. I think it's a fine game to play even with some of its issues, it's just good to be aware of those issues and address them as you feel appropriate. I wish we had more nuanced language for cultural issues than throwing around the racist label. I think where the game falls down is ignorance, which I generally see as a different thing than jerks who give up their hair for hatred, and probably needs to be approached in a different way.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

drat Cthulhu been lifting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

as a samurai I

• Locked thread