Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679966

TGSS 2014 thread is up! Early! Because I realized I needed to get my rear end in gear. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tollymain posted:

this week is dragon week, please post you proest dragons

In the art thread.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Ettin posted:

In the art thread.

We should totally have dragonchat is here though!

When I was in highschool a D&D campaign I ran featured an albino red dragon which I think is the perfect encapsulation of what a weird, bad DM I was. That and the railroading.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I don't like Dragons. They're lovely, short ranged, underpowered, hard to control ATGMs, and what really gets me is that they existed in a time when much better designs were available, and I can't figure out for the life of me why the US kept using them all the way up to freaking Desert Storm! It's like, hey, you already use Swedish AT4/M136 launchers, you couldn't ask them to throw on some BILL 1s in the package? Or borrow some MILANs from West German or Italy while you're buying Rheinmetall tank cannons or Otobreda naval guns?

...oh, wait, wrong Dragons. Er...I don't like those dragons either. I don't like the whole "older and wiser and more railroadier than you" air they give off, and I want to shoot them down with J35s for irony's sake.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't like Dragons. They're lovely, short ranged, underpowered, hard to control ATGMs, and what really gets me is that they existed in a time when much better designs were available, and I can't figure out for the life of me why the US kept using them all the way up to freaking Desert Storm! It's like, hey, you already use Swedish AT4/M136 launchers, you couldn't ask them to throw on some BILL 1s in the package? Or borrow some MILANs from West German or Italy while you're buying Rheinmetall tank cannons or Otobreda naval guns?

...oh, wait, wrong Dragons. Er...I don't like those dragons either. I don't like the whole "older and wiser and more railroadier than you" air they give off, and I want to shoot them down with J35s for irony's sake.

This is truth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations for a youtube video that shows what playing a TTRPG is like for a beginner? One of my officemates came up to me the other day and asked me about what RPGs are after reading a post I made on facebook and I'm not sure I explained it very well - I basically said it was like playing cops-and-robbers except you use the dice to make sure you don't get into any arguments about who shot first. He seemed keen on the idea and asked me if he could show me how that's done. I suppose I could demo the concept to him as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had good luck with dragons with a very specific concept: That all the dragons in the setting were the souls of long-dead dragons from other worlds and settings, shoved into the bodies of adolescent or young adult dragons, in a world where muskets and cannons would've been enough to threaten them even if they weren't suddenly back to only being large enough to menace livestock.

Thus, since all the dragons in the setting had been slain once before, they tended to be slightly paranoid wrecks trying to stay the hell out of everyone's sight, get their bearings, and work with humans wherever they could to avoid getting shot in the face. Experienced, but physically weak and kind of traumatized by having to scrape and crawl back into the land of the living once already, and dumped into a world as alien to them as they were to it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ettin posted:

In the art thread.

I opened up a lot of tabs at once, and got confused and thought this was the art thread. Hence my rather art thread post.

Dangit, tolly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fuego Fish posted:

I opened up a lot of tabs at once, and got confused and thought this was the art thread. Hence my rather art thread post.

Dangit, tolly.

Legitly, I had opened this thread and the art thread in separate tabs when you posted the dragons and was very confused.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i should catch up on the modrons thread but then i will feel the need to spend too much time making massive effortposts in there again

e: good lord i'm still the most prolific poster in that thread by an absurd lead despite not posting in forever, yeah i should stay out of there :stare:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

This is truth. Also, why I wrote a game where dragon-vs-J35 is an entirely possible thing.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

This is truth. Also, why I wrote a game where dragon-vs-J35 is an entirely possible thing.

Let's be honest - at some point, we all wrote *that* game.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Relatedly, I still mention how cool Operation Dragonslayer is to people and have yet to be able to cobble a group together to play it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the eternal lamentation of the tabletop nerd

if it's cool and it's not an established property good luck getting a game together for it, ever

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Isn't that the ending to Drakengard?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't that the ending to Drakengard?

One of them, yeah. You go to Earth somehow and fight jets and a giant music themed rhythm puzzle boss.

Edit: It is much less cool than it sounds.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's the timeline that causes nier right

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Kwyndig posted:

Look at how wrong you are

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Kwyndig posted:

One of them, yeah. You go to Earth somehow and fight jets and a giant music themed rhythm puzzle boss.

To really simulate it, wait until your players are driving home and text them to make one last defense roll. Give them two minutes to reply.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tollymain posted:

that's the timeline that causes nier right

Yep, when everything from the Drakengard world dies in that ending it unleashes the horrible magical calamity that makes Nier, which was horribly depressing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

if it's cool and it's not an established property good luck getting a game together for it, ever

That's why I'm happy for getting my ileni game up and running.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

DigitalRaven posted:

Oh, really? Which game is that? I'd like to see that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, really? Which game is that? I'd like to see that.

it's GURPS lol

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but nobody plays gurps either

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tollymain posted:

yeah but nobody plays gurps either

I'm not even sure I remember how to play GURPS.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

In the art thread.

you're not my real dad

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

grassy gnoll posted:

you're not my real dad

I love this picture so much.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that a dragon designed by committee

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

It's too cute for that. A dragon designed by committee would be the M47...I mean the D&D 5e dragon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

grassy gnoll posted:

you're not my real dad

And now I know what dragon will be terrorizing towns in my low level lovely heroes fighting lovely threats game tomorrow.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tollymain posted:

It is a dragon designed by looking at fatbirds.com, which is one of the best ways to design an RPG monster.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Tollymain posted:

the eternal lamentation of the tabletop nerd

What if it's a popular, but shameful property? I'm asking for a uh...FRIEND. Yeah, a friend.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

What if it's a popular, but shameful property? I'm asking for a uh...FRIEND. Yeah, a friend.

Monsterhearts is awesome despite taking heavy inspiration from Twilight. It'll be fine, I'm sure.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Close, but no (zodiac-themed)cigar!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

Close, but no (zodiac-themed)cigar!

...Saint Seiya? Fruits Basket? Uhm...Zodiac killer?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i meant like, dnd or shadowrun or whatever

the problem with homestuck is what the hell system do you use? i suppose it kind of depends on whether you're playing the game straight or going with the tone of the comic

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I honestly think the game to hack for Homestuck is Polaris.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tollymain posted:

i meant like, dnd or shadowrun or whatever

the problem with homestuck is what the hell system do you use? i suppose it kind of depends on whether you're playing the game straight or going with the tone of the comic

Chuubo's Marvellous Wish Granting Engine, I'm fairly sure it was in part designed specifically to do that, making someone face palm is one of the best ways to earn XP, also you should use it to emulate everything and anything.

Play Chuubo all day every day.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I was thinking FAE for a base, because Homestuck is all about the tone and mood behind your actions, and steal the character journal from Castle Falkenstein as a character sheet/log of sorts, probably reskin it as an 'about me' tumblr page or w/e. Beyond that for the actual game itself, IRC/skype would be a must for character communication, with a thread being used as a n archive or for really big "everyone in the group is affected"-type of deals. I'd probably bring in flash games and logic problems as Land Puzzles, and use the expenditure of fate points to simulate spending grist on such big things as house construction, to sort of mimic the in-game economy, while allowing players to freely alchemize weapons and armor and other silly things...oh god so many words. Kill me before I infect you allllllll :unsmigghh:

edit: or chuubo, that works too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey Ettin, how about stickying the Feng Shui thread since the thread title already says its the November Game of the Month? :haw:

• Locked thread