Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
Alright. So, I've been a driver in Puerto Rico for about 3 years. Now I'm a grad student living in New Jersey for the first time and sharing an apartment with two siblings. I live in Hackensack and both my siblings go to Bergen, while I'm attending Mont Clair State for grad school.

Recently the topic of getting a car has come into prominence. We're still figuring stuff out a lot--we only moved in a few days ago and our first bills won't come in until basically december. But we are budgeting and planning our financial situation from now.

My mom offered to send me my old car (from Puerto Rico) AND also keep paying it. However the car isn't paid off and we don't know if it's cost effective to do so if it's even possible, given that the car isn't in my name.

I was also told to look up cars. I was given two different cost estimates: My mom told me to look for cars "under 20,000", while my step-mom went further and said "under 10,000".

The ideal scenario in this case is that the car would be in my name. I have no idea what my insurance rate would be, but again for background:

I'm 21, Male and Latino/Hispanic. I've been driving for about 3-4 years now and I've never been involved in anything more than minor accidents that didn't involve police intervention. I've gotten like, two tickets in my life, one of them for parking in the wrong area.

I don't have a Jersey issued license yet but I intend to get one soon.

All of that was just background. As for the car:

Basically, I have no idea. My old car was a Kia and I liked it well enough but I am not really big on cars and have no idea what to aim for or what under-the-mainstream-view things are around that could be really good. I don't know what price ranges are good or bad investment ideas, and frankly I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed just looking at options because I just don't know what's what!

I looked at this Ford student promotion which seemed good ( http://www.ford.com/forddrivesu/programrules/ ) , but couldn't quite find all the 2013/2014 cars that I was sure fit the bill because I don't know what MPY means. That's how bad I am at this.

I need to know pretty much any information you have, up to and including:

-What's it like driving in snowy/icy conditions?
-What are good price ranges for people in our position (all students, ideally all working part time jobs of $10 and up) to shoot for
-What kind of insurance rates should I expect or should I go for a used car?
-Should I try and aim for a "green" car? A couple years back I heard SOMETHING about a goverment program getting people affordable green-friendly cars but I don't know anything about that and can't trace it now.

That's it. I'll take any reccomendations: I don't care/know much about brand, and my closest thing to requirements are being green-friendly, Bluetooth, and GPS, two of which almost any modern car will have and all of which I'm willing to drop if need be.

That's it. Help me out, please, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
There's a thread in Ask/Tell specifically for this exact subject:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

As for driving in snowy or icy conditions, snow tires are the best thing you can possibly do for safety. When you get your car, look up a tire thread in AI and ask about which snow tires would be best for you. Plan on setting aside a few hundred bucks (no making GBS threads, because a good snow tire will save you from paying your insurance deductible just as mine did for me). Take whatever price you were willing to spend, subtract a few hundred, and that's now your new maximum price.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I think you should definitely buy a green car.

My favourite green car is a green Hellcat Challenger

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
Oh drat, alright, thank you for the information. I saw that its a bannable offense to post a reccomend me a car thread and I didn't know about the Ask/Tell one though I shoulda looked better anyway so sorry about that. I'll close this thread now.

• Locked thread