Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

If I remember correctly, there's literally a giant safety warning on those view screens saying "WATCH OUT FOR THESE TWO POTENTIAL SPIES" with Shaun and Rebecca's faces plastered right on it. The guy who works in the coffee shop directly along the path from the front door to the main elevator that leads to the entire rest of the building, and the courier who routinely walks up to Shaun and has long, sarcastic, loud conversations in front of everyone.

In rear end 3 during the Brazil level, I moved Desmond right next to a poster of himself in the train station, then I left the game running while I picked up my sister at the train station. When I got back, not only was I standing in the same place, not arrested, but all the NPCs were clumped together bumping into the turnstiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Okay, played Rogue for a good 6-8 hours. First impression is pretty good for a launch day. First off, I didn't preorder it but I did get a 'limited edition'. I don't know what that means, because I didn't ask for a special edition or anything, but apparently I get a code for a free 'level', which for Asscreed, means a 5 minute diversion where I climb something.

So for me, it's a step down graphically because I played Black Flag on my PS4. Also, load times are 100% longer when I switch to the map screen or transition between areas on the world map(there is the North Atlantic and the River Valley, both of which have lots of sailing and small locations like Black Flag). Launch hiccups include several sound bugs, most noticeable when sailing and fighting(sound effects not playing, or playing several seconds late). I haven't found any quest bugs yet, but I'm only at %20 completion. Harpooning is back, as well as New York from AC3. It is prettier but mostly reuses assets from AC3.

There are holdover bugs with free running from AC3 and 4, the annoying 'stop running and move flat against a knee-height surface', 'go into corner peek mode and don't climb anything' and of course 'hop over this tree trunk instead of climbing on top', but seeing as I'm used to these bugs from the past 2 games, I can let it slide. So far I'm having fun.

I ultimately decided to go with Rogue because the engine has been around longer and I thought it would be smarter to wait until several patches for Unity are out. Also I guess chronologically it makes more sense but then again Asscreed has no problem jumping back and forth through time.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

drat, 5$ for Enslaved? Worth it I bet.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I feel bad for the team that was actually working on the game. It seems like it would've been a solid title, even if not as good as 4, if the management hadn't shoved it out the door with the engine still needing serious polish.

This is why Rocksteady remains my favorite developer. Even though their games are few and far between, the level of polish and an attitude of making a game they would actually enjoy, rather than catering to publishers, is definitely what sets them apart in the market.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

So I've reclaimed my pirate ship in Rogue, and can't really figure out the deal with Naval battles. At the beginning of the game, it seems like you can sink all the British ships you want, but the French are your allies. Then it switches around and it doesn't seem to switch ambient missions in naval combat. So during the whole fight where you need to stop your allies from being destroyed, you are actually supposed to sink British ships and a popup keeps saying "Do not shoot your allies".

Quite confusing. Maybe I'm just playing too far ahead in the game, but I don't remember seeing these missions when the French were my naval allies.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Anyone who still has their 360 or PS3 should just get Rogue for that. I don't see Ubisoft putting it on PC for a long time, if ever.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Should I try getting ACU for the PS4? Or should I just wait for Witcher 3?

If you read even the last 40 posts you should have been able to figure out that you should definitely wait indefinitely.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Is it really solid? I'm gonna wait for bargain bin but if it's actually AC4-level or thereabouts it'll probably be fun.

Aside from being on a less powerful console, it is very solid, even for a new release. The only real holdover bug from AC4 is sound effects not playing on time during combat or sailing. They've improved on things as well, for instance sailing has more weapons and the control scheme is a little different, but I'd say it's better. They added new weapons, so along with sleep and berserk darts, you get a grenade launcher as well. It is, as said, basically AC4-2 with different characters/setting. I've got like 13-14 hours logged and all I can say about it is it's really fun.

Also performance shouldn't be an issue if they are putting on PC. We just have to hope it's a good port.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So is AC: Rogue as broken as Unity or is it worth playing?

It's not broken at all and it's great.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

loving French people ruining everything.

As a sidenote, this game has some of the best mocap animation for dialogue I've seen yet.

LA Noire was pretty good in terms of being believable, but creepy realism award goes to Heavy Rain, specifically the old clock repairman.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

Wow.

"GTA is a bad game. Realistically most games should be better than GTA V or they are failures."

I think that's what you more or less just said. Is this a popular opinion? Because I felt GTA V was an amazing single player game and so far nothing released in 2014 has come close to it (though I share the love for Mordor and Aliens as good games).

It's a popular opinion that one of the most successful and groundbreaking franchises in history is overhyped and overrated. Unfortunately for the ones who think that way, it's also a popular opinion that that opinion is garbage.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Jethro posted:

It seems like that's what we're initially supposed to believe, but I hope something else happened since it seems like sloppy writing for him to just float 400 miles from Rockport, MA to NYC and then magically end up in the house of some Templar sympathizers. Especially since he freezes to death if you jump in the little stream near the Homestead, so how's he supposed to survive the ocean?

I think Colonel Monroe actually says his men picked you up. They were watching the Precursor Manuscript or whatever and scooped you immediately.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Jethro posted:

Well, he starts as an assassin. I guess it will just be interesting to see if it's just sloppy writing, or if it's motivated by something.

I'm guessing it's a reverse from that Daniel Cross/Lucy thing, where he's an Assassin plant and by the end he's working for the Assassins again. I'm of course speculating because I'm busy collecting all the things and not doing story missions. Some bullshit like that device you touched and disintegrated actually made the earthquakes much less devastating than they would have been.

Then again, Achilles could just be bitter about his family dying in a fire or whatever.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Asscreed Rogue crew represent.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm having an ok time in Unity on PS4. Nothing great, not horrible, bugs and glitches excluded. I'm going to beat it and trade it in this weekend though, I know I'll never play it again. If I want to play asscreed I'll just hop on Black Flag. I wish Ubisoft would make a full on pirate game :allears:

I think the only thing that drew people to Black Flag was the IP and at this point, all a standalone pirate game, especially by Ubisoft, could do is make people question why they can't assassinate anyone they want at any time.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

Nope. It's shorter, dumber and has lost a lot of the charm and novelty.

Also the final legendary ship battle makes me want to kill myself.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Heheheh the Rogue real world pause menu has funny messages sent to your stupid tablet:

8. Bleeding Effect

Overexposure to the Animus may result in something called the "Bleeding Effect" where reality becomes indistinguishable from the genetic memories in which you immerse yourself daily. It is possible that the emergency or obstacle you are facing is not there in reality.

For example: If you see a fire, take steps to ensure that the fire is real before you act. Quickly and carefully, touch the fire.

If the fire is real, remove your hand and proceed to the nearest exit in a calm and orderly manner.

If the fire was a hallucination, proceed to section 11.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Has anyone had any luck beating the last legendary sea battle in Rogue? I can't seem to get the job done after multiple close attempts. Some people have suggested the burning oil but I can't get it to work well.

It took me over 20 tries and when I beat it, I actually did really really well. The trick is avoiding the broadside attack, which you can do if you frequently switch to full stop. It throws off the timing of the Storm Fortress and it will rarely hit you that way. Same with its mortar attacks, move to full stop, turn in the direction of the Storm Fortress, then go to full sail and get a speed boost by doing the ram charge move.

Don't sacrifice health for some mortar hits, I think I mainly used my broadside and only used mortars at the end when you get bum rushed. When the Scepter and Argonaut come into the fray, focus on Storm Fortress until it's dead. Then you can fight the other two at your leisure.

It's frustrating because in my case, it was mostly luck. Don't hurt yourself or break your TV in the process.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Even though I miss out on a free game, I'm still glad I saw Unity streams the day before it was released, saw the condition the game was in, and decided to get Rogue instead.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Has anyone gone up against the bounty hunters on land in Rogue? I have no idea how to beat these guys. The only thing that I was able to make work was the sleep grenade, and that's a little difficult to get right. Anyone had luck trying something else? They block break defense, hurt, and even counters.

Shoot them in the head with your pistol, or if you're out of ammo, find some dudes with rifles and human shield them.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Thank you to whoever in this thread called out an Amazon lightning deal for Rogue. My $30 copy just showed up. Played for a couple hours and it feels like an ultra-polished AC4, which I guess it is. I literally fell asleep during a modern Abstergo conversation. I'd rather any amount of Desmond over this faceless drone.

:eng101: numbskull

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was checking the voice cast for AC3 and check out the lady who did Connor's mom:

She's actually Native American, her name is Kaniehtiio(same as in the game), and she's probably the most attractive woman I've ever seen.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

There's some handwaving stuff about cars absolutely loving with someone's motor control and causing the simulation to desynchronize

not so much a slam as in plausible deniability

Actually it says that people seem to go into a semi-comatose state when driving, and now when I actually drive I'm conscious of the fact that this is why car wrecks happen.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

yeah i bought unity like a week ago finally and havent hit any bad glitches, also they fixed all the companion app bullshit so its not mandatory(or even mentioned as far as i can tell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

He's in Unity! But only very briefly. But he's the guy marking up Abstergo's historical database with rude asides!

I could also swear it's his voice as the guy in the background during the rift missions, but he's going by a different name.

• Locked thread