Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Guys, Ubisoft meant they were releasing 60fps worth of games this fall, total. It was 30fps for Unity and 30fps for Rogue. In Fall 2015 they will release 4 games at 15fps. In 2016, 8 games at 7.5fps and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

These issues are really starting to loving get to me, I have to say. I can't play co-op because enemies appear and lag out of nowhere and spot/kill me, and I can't even fight them off because between the horrific network lag and the framerate lag I can't even REACT to them so I pretty much just stand still until they kill me. Also I had the Edward Kenway outfit, but then I took it off, and now I don't have it anymore? Just tells me to play AC Initiates.

Goddamn, Ubisoft. Get your poo poo together.

Didn't have buyer's remorse yesterday but now it's slowly beginning to creep in.

don't worry I'm sure they're still "working on it"

also lol http://finance.yahoo.com/tumblr/blog-ubisoft-gets-crushed-after-abysmal-assassins-creed-165926902.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

I don't think anyone is making a stink that this is not 60fps. A CONSISTENT framerate (and not a super low one) would be fine. There is zero benefit to the player for having 500 (poorly) modeled NPC's in a town square. Those guys exist merely so that Ubi can tout, on paper, how next-genny their game is.

They're actually useful for stealth on some missions, but could have been replaced with a stall or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Guys, Ubisoft meant they were releasing 60fps worth of games this fall, total. It was 30fps for Unity and 30fps for Rogue. In Fall 2015 they will release 4 games at 15fps. In 2016, 8 games at 7.5fps and so on

Unity is not 30fps though

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

They're actually useful for stealth on some missions, but could have been replaced with a stall or something.

From the crowds I've seen, nothing couldn't be done with a fraction of them that can be done with all of them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hakkesshu posted:

Unity is not 30fps though

They realized at the last minute that they had to drop a few FPS to make some space for Far Cry 4

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good, hopefully this smacks some sense into them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It won't, because it probably won't affect sales.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Did anyone make a club yet on the PS4 version?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Snuffman posted:

I thought the same, but no: outside of chests, nomad is entirely contained in the app and playable from the start.

To unlock missions you have to select a building in-app and find the glyphs on it. Tap to do a ping, tap the symbols as they appear. Find all the symbols and unlock a mission.

IMHO, Nomads isn't worth the trouble. Unlike Kenway's Fleet, the rewards and gameplay impact to the main game is minimal or nonexistent. The mission timers are so long that when you can unlock something decent, you already have more money or better equipment.

Kenway's fleet only hit 6 hour timers towards the end. I'm at 6 hour timers on the first non-training missions. Ugh.

Oh, thanks. Took a bit of noodling about, but I got it started. It's not as intuitive as Kenway's fleet either. I guess I'll see if it keeps my attention or not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It won't, because it probably won't affect sales.

It already has affected sales to some extent. A AAA release not being top seller on Steam for a couple weeks after its release is practically impossible, and AC:U is already gone from the top 10. Sitting at 11 right now.

Speaking of clubs, going to go process any applications for the PC one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkzIGSyjLQ

This video is hilarious. But the sad part is, it's the kind of thing you see posted after a game's been out for years and people have compiled random crazy poo poo.

EXCEPT IT'S ALL FROM ONE DAY OF RELEASE.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

It already has affected sales to some extent. A AAA release not being top seller on Steam for a couple weeks after its release is practically impossible, and AC:U is already gone from the top 10. Sitting at 11 right now.

Speaking of clubs, going to go process any applications for the PC one.

I wouldn't use Steam as a big sales example for a AAA title. My understanding is that for most AAA cross-plat releases that PC makes up 10-12% of their sales base, and since Ubisoft has uPlay not ALL of those people bought it from Steam. It's an indicator for a very small slice of the pie.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!

Abu Dave posted:

Shadows of Mordor is good for what it does, but I don't think having a assassin being able to kill 30 guys at once is very fun, but I know that's my opinion that isn't shared. i rather see it take work to kill enemies instead of playing Simon Says

Agreed. I don't know if you guys noticed, but this game has the word "Assassin" in the title. Should you really be able to jump down into a group of 20 guys and skull gently caress them all at the same time? No. If you are in a battle and getting your poo poo pushed in, drop a smoke bomb and GTFO. Go hide on top of a roof and take them out one at a time like you're supposed to, my silly young assassins.

Also, why are people ragging on the free run? I've heard stuff like, I just keep running up things when I don't want to. What are your fingers doing? Are you pressing RT and A? That causes you to run up. Try not pressing A. RT + B lets you run and seamlessly jump down onto objects instead of awkwardly hanging from a ledge and dropping straight down. There is a bit of a learning curve with the controls but once you get the hang of it, running around the city is so much more fun than the previous games. I highly recommend using a controller for this game. You will thank me later.

Orv
May 4, 2011

macnbc posted:

I wouldn't use Steam as a big sales example for a AAA title. My understanding is that for most AAA cross-plat releases that PC makes up 10-12% of their sales base, and since Ubisoft has uPlay not ALL of those people bought it from Steam. It's an indicator for a very small slice of the pie.

True enough, console sales probably don't spread the word on "Oh hey this poo poo is hosed" nearly as quick to the average consumer, so yeah, probably still selling fine.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You have to remember the debacle with all the Ubisoft games suddenly disappearing from Steam for a day as well, I'm pretty sure that hurt sales a bit. What was up with that anyway?

Also, AC:U is sitting at the top of the top sellers for me. Is it based on region?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You have to remember the debacle with all the Ubisoft games suddenly disappearing from Steam for a day as well, I'm pretty sure that hurt sales a bit. What was up with that anyway?

Also, AC:U is sitting at the top of the top sellers for me. Is it based on region?

Probably is. And after the debacle in question in the US it shot back up to #1 almost immediately, so.

E: Ahahahaha, whenever I try to invite TheSadPope to the PC Club, it CTDs immediately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently if you started the companion app before the game release, you're locked out of the nomad missions (and therefore unlocking stuff) completely.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
FYI, Unity is in first place on Steam's top sellers list now.

Maybe it's true - any PR is good PR?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

Apparently it's a regional list. In the US it's at 11.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ymgve posted:

Um no it isn't?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think the bigger threat to sales honestly is on two fronts:

1. DLC. If people buy the game and give up on it, nobody's buying those pricey $30 season passes
2. Next year's game. Unless Ubisoft does another AC3 to AC4 style turnaround, then they're probably going to take a big hit on preorders next year if Unity leaves people with a bad taste in their mouths.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Orv posted:

Apparently it's a regional list. In the US it's at 11.

Yeah, looking closely I see it's both at 1st and 12th here:

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
I just realized that this copy of Rogue I purchased is probably the last new release game I will ever buy for my PS3. End of an era.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chewbacca posted:

I just realized that this copy of Rogue I purchased is probably the last new release game I will ever buy for my PS3. End of an era.

Rogue is now the 3rd game I've bought that I've said that exact same thing for. I'm becoming convinced the drat thing is never going to die.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Just got this response from Ubi support. No idea what to make of it but at this point...

"If you are experiencing FPS drops while playing the game, please try removing your console/PC from the internet and go back into the game. For some users, this seems to alleviate the framerate issue experienced. "

I'm also kind of shocked Ubisoft is telling me to play their game offline.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

rizuhbull posted:

Just got this response from Ubi support. No idea what to make of it but at this point...

"If you are experiencing FPS drops while playing the game, please try removing your console/PC from the internet and go back into the game. For some users, this seems to alleviate the framerate issue experienced. "

Behold the magic of ~Uplay~.

Seriously though. It has a tendency to poo poo itself regularly for a couple of weeks after a big launch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

Oh god if the Uplay issues are actually causing the performance issues that would just be incredible.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ubisoft told you to disconnect from the servers... welp nice knowing you everyone because that's a clear sign of the apocalypse right there.

Is Rogue any good? I really liked 4 and only barely bought it after 3 so I am really freaking hesitant to touch another AC game lately.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

KittySpinEcho posted:

I highly recommend using a controller for this game. You will thank me later.

:frogout:

KB+M fo' lyfe

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

Literally (or close enough) 90 percent of the issues I've had with Ubisoft games in the past few years has been due to Uplay. The rest are driver issues or lack of optimization, and one or two bad bugs. Hence I never buy Ubi games at launch if I can avoid it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

drat, 5$ for Enslaved? Worth it I bet.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ZeusCannon posted:

Is Rogue any good? I really liked 4 and only barely bought it after 3 so I am really freaking hesitant to touch another AC game lately.

I'm only 2 hours into it, and posted my impressions on a previous page, but yes. It's basically Black Flag 2. All the gameplay, UI, etc. is exactly the same, but it's with new characters in new locations with a new storyline. If you liked AC4, you'll like Rogue.

Orv
May 4, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Literally (or close enough) 90 percent of the issues I've had with Ubisoft games in the past few years has been due to Uplay. The rest are driver issues or lack of optimization, and one or two bad bugs. Hence I never buy Ubi games at launch if I can avoid it.

Well it doesn't meaningfully impact the game to play it offline (just tried it), so it's still just an engine issue. This game was put out way too early, the journo who said "greed and serial mismanagement" was totally correct.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

rizuhbull posted:

Hang on so that internet issue is happening just like it did for gta 4? I used to take over an hour to load that on the ps3. Also the fact that they can develop games that quickly dwarf the consoles now is just making them irrelevant.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 12, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Orv posted:

Well it doesn't meaningfully impact the game to play it offline (just tried it), so it's still just an engine issue. This game was put out way too early, the journo who said "greed and serial mismanagement" was totally correct.

I feel bad for the team that was actually working on the game. It seems like it would've been a solid title, even if not as good as 4, if the management hadn't shoved it out the door with the engine still needing serious polish.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I feel bad for the team that was actually working on the game. It seems like it would've been a solid title, even if not as good as 4, if the management hadn't shoved it out the door with the engine still needing serious polish.

This is why Rocksteady remains my favorite developer. Even though their games are few and far between, the level of polish and an attitude of making a game they would actually enjoy, rather than catering to publishers, is definitely what sets them apart in the market.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I feel like a really good game is THERE, just so, so frustratingly out of reach.

Maybe things will improve. :sigh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Daily Forecast posted:

I feel like a really good game is THERE, just so, so frustratingly out of reach.

Maybe things will improve. :sigh:

There's a good, 2/Revelations level AC game in there, but "there" is several miles of lower intestinal track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently if you started the companion app before the game release, you're locked out of the nomad missions (and therefore unlocking stuff) completely.

I started the app before finishing downloading the game and I can start nomad missions fine.

I just can't unlock nomad chests in game...which is kinda the point. :v:

• Locked thread