Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
My preload started 2 hours ago when I got home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

It's the initial Abstergo-ified Animus setup they throw you into at the start of the game, while they're still under the pretense that you're just a normal dude/dudette playing a Total Immersive Experience game. Where-in they tease a bunch of AC games that'll take years or never happen.

I wish this didn't run like poo poo for me because the climbing is a goddamn dream and the fighting as at least fresh, if not harder.

Eh it looks like a bunch are already games. Murder in the Levant is AC1. Ezio gets 3 titles, AC2 (Fear and Loathing in Florence), Brotherhood (Triumph of the Borgias) and Revelations (The Bladed Cross).

AC3 is "The Lone Eagle" and "Washington and the Wolf".

Black Flag is "Devils of the Carribean".

Liberation is "The Liberation of Lady Aveline".

The Emperor's Shadow is going to be the DLC.

Which leaves us with 20's AC and Irish AC.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

There's already one and it's in the OP. :ssh:

I don't see this in the OP.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vodos posted:

Since nobody posted a team for that "Unite" thing, I made one that 3 more people can join for Uplay rewards. The team is called Thisisstupid and you should be able to join it by going to https://www.assassinscreed.com/unite
I'm not sure if it's still available in the US since it is supposed to be a pre-order thing, but that link took me to the German version of the site since I'm in Germany, so if any EU goons wanna try it should still work for them.

Ed: Also the initiates website is working again and I'm pretty confused, didn't they already have profiles and xp and poo poo when Black Flag was released? It says I'm lvl 1 with 0 xp and that I can sync my games but there's no options to do anything.

Initiates was in an alpha release for Black Flag. They took it down a few months ago so they could prepare for the actual releaae.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Put in for the PC social club last night

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hakarne posted:

I don't get the companion app thing. I synced it to my PC last night and was going to check it out on my way in to work today. I did the first mission to find a glyph, but the first training mission tells me I don't have a level 2 assassin. I clicked the nomad point thing and it says I need to sync with pc or whatever. Do you seriously need the main game on and running to play their stupid loving companion app?

No. You might have selected a Social Club, which you need to renovate in game for it to generate Nomad points (which are basically the app resource). Social clubs build up the Cafe Theatre income and have some in-game stuff associated with them.

With the game running, the App is basically an expanded mini-map.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

No.

People have been having performance issues, but that seems to be mostly an AMD thing. My Nvidia had been running smooth. Only glitch I've seen is textures not loading in once during a mission, but a checkpoint restart cleared it up.

Some of the services they were planning on launching in parallel have been a bit buggy which has also impacted the game as well, but the companion app and Initiates are now mostly working right.

For better or worse it's more of a return to the Ezio games in overall feel and world. Not quite Black Flag, but I guess that's why Rogue exists.

The game also lets you basically do any drat thing you want after doing the first 4 or 5 missions, when you finish the beginning of sequence 2. I honestly think that's a new record.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

The framerate absolutely hurts it since it's based on 'precision timing', but there are other problems. Enemies frequently 'teleport' from offscreen to attack which certainly makes larger battles harder but because of cheaper hits, not actual difficulty. the actual dodge/parry stuff is cool in theory but it feels silly. If you try to dodge an attack the game doesn't want you to the enemy sliiiides along the ground to hit you. I get why they did that but it looks really goofy in the middle of the more realistic animations.There also just doesn't seem to be a lot of variety. Dodge when enemy yells, parry when it flashes yellow. That isn't bad, you can do simple well (Batman does so) but Batman does simple-with variety. Even AC4 had more varied combat even if you could just counter-kill everything.

Did you mean to post this in the Arkham Origins thread?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

Mine went away too. Who the gently caress even knows what happened. Maybe it's something hilarious, like an Ubisoft service going down and the game running way better without it.
regarding 0x60000001 connectivity problems...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So, is Uplay just not functioning on the PC at all at this point? The actions/rewards section seems to be nonexistent for every game now, and even though that rank stuff I mentioned earlier seems to be unfucked, I'm still getting "error code 0x60000001" whenever I try to access any online features in Unity.

uplay.com posted:

There are intermittent issues impacting some Uplay services.
We're actively working to solve these issues.
Gamers can be reassured that no progress data associated with these services will be lost.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

I would suspect that a lot of the Uplay/Unity connectivity wasn't tested well enough, and that's been a large source of issues.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Al Harrington posted:

with unity can someone explain the chests and what I need to do with a companion app to open them or whatever the gently caress?

the are grey chests that you can open, red chests that need lockpicks and a lockpicking "skill"? and then blue and yellow that I can't open unless I download an app? is that right?

White/Grey are normal
Red chests require lockpicking, which you can learn after Sequence 2, and upgrade after Sequences 5 and 9.
Blue is Companion app. You need to earn the right to open them by doing some puzzles and running missions. The Uplay sync for this is a bit flaky at the moment, and they've been tweaking it. You might not be able to open the chests as a result. I was able to this morning, but the app still thinks they're shut, and tied up 3 assassins until the 24 hour timer expires.
Yellow chests are for Initiates, which is mostly working at this point, but they haven't completely fixed up. Initiates level is based off of a few things, like completion of the previous games and doing random challenges. They took it down back in June to get ready for Unity. They're only tracking game completion at the moment, but those chests should work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Murodese posted:

How do you unlock the assassins for use in the companion app? I'm up to about sequence 6-7, still haven't unlocked.

Which assassins?

You get slots for getting social clubs and sync points + the premium versio

On companion app news, someone finally bit the bullet and is uploading the puzzle solutions to Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dwire

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

AC3 was butchered, and clearly released before it was ready (sound familiar?).

What I suspect with what's really bugging Unity is the heavy Uplay integration right now and is on the Uplay end of things. The game itself is actually pretty solid and should have been released without Uplay. Still would have probably had some of the rendering issues, but Uplay appears to be the source of most of the crashes and framerate problems.

AC3 really needed a ton of polish in a lot of areas. It's kind of bad when you have to patch the game to make your in-game map actually worth a drat.

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

So what's the best way to get Sync points (I think, the ones that unlock abilities) outside of buying them with real money. Is it a certain type of side mission or just the main story?

You can get sync points 3 ways.

1. Story mission reward (higher sync for more points)
2. Co-Op mission reward (anything not a Heist)
3. There's also about 30 or so that spawn in-world during Co-Op missions. You need to ping with Eagle vision to find them. (Thankfully, these are static between missions)

The game really doesn't tell you about #3, though it is in the Progress Tracker.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 16, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

To be fair I swear that every game these days has a day one patch. It just seems standard procedure anymore to release games unfinished, ship them, and then make a mad scramble to actually iron out everything in the last few weeks.

That's more an issue with how it's become much easier to digitally distribute patches than it is to actually physically distribute software. At some point you need to send out a gold master, so the factory can make and package the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They pushed it out early for Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I put the blame almost fully on the business portion of the company. There's lots of good stuff in the game, and it's ruined by a severe lack of polish.

I wouldn't really criticize the game for a lack of polish. I think Ubisoft managed to completely gently caress up their social integration efforts yet again. They completely hosed up Black Flag to the point where they only managed to get the social stuff working after like 3 months. The experience they were aiming for is suffering as a result.

Calaveron posted:

I'm trying to think of the last non-Nintendo game that was just shove it in the disc drive and press A to play.

(I don't think 3D World or Mario Kart 8 had day-one patches)

Super Smash Bros 3DS did.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I spent like 2 or 3 minutes in a crowd waiting for a dude to show up so he could be "rewarded" for his efforts while a bunch of liberators were fighting with some guards in the corner of the square.

I eventually noticed that he was one of the guys in the fight. Then one of the NPCs killed him and the mission ended. :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus Christ. So the game I've been tolerating this trainwreck series for finally comes out and has everything that exists in the universe except the two things I wanted. I guess I can quit being disappointed now because I don't need to play any more AC games.

The single player story basically doesn't really touch on it at all, but most of the actual Co-Op missions are based off of French Revolution stuff. There's 2 or 3 missions where the primary focus involves Danton.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

matrix ripoff posted:

How do I get rid of "Helix waypoints" that I lay down in the AC Unity app?

Same way as you put them down in the app, or highlight them in game and press like X or Square.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sef! posted:

Couple of pages back, but… although I wouldn't use the word exceptional, I do think that AC3 is not as bad as the hate makes it out to be. It's very glitchy, and there are some serious plot problems, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of running around a snow-covered 1700's New York at night and tomahawkin' dudes. I even liked the DLC, as batshit crazy/stupid as it was (it has one of my favorite video game scores in recent memory - check out "The Man With The Wolf Hood" or "Ratonhnhaké:ton" for example).

My biggest problem with AC3 is that, out of the entire series that I have played (which does not include Unity or Rogue), it takes the least advantage of its setting. Like, you set a game during the Revolutionary War, and we don't see the Battle of Bunker Hill? The Boston Massacre is relegated to weak-rear end plot grease? C'mon, man.

Uh, the Battle of Bunker Hill is in AC3. You go behind enemy lines for most of it to assassinate Pitcairn in Sequence 7.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's really sad considering how AC2 did a pretty good job of interweaving historical poo poo. It was no substitute for a class or book but like you got a neat role in events, saw lots of peoples' paths cross, got to watch Borgia become the pope, etc.

AC2 was by the far the longest spanning game in the series. (It's about 16 or so years) AC3 kind of excluded because of its split time line shenanigans. (Technically ~25-30, but really closer to 8 due to time skipping)

Then again there was the Bonfire of Vanities DLC in AC2.

Unity gives a similar feel to AC2, at least if you do the Coop missions. Lots of otherwise interstitial historical stuff becoming missions that was left out oft he mains tory.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 17, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieWhiskey posted:

True. "...the creed our organization lives by..." "...the battles our predecessors fought in the Middle East and Italy..." "...the legacy left for us by the First Civilization..."

They could have strung us along a lot longer, but instead we got a malformed Connor.

The longer it goes without someone saying "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." would make people bit suspicious.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but this would require an entire game of them ducking around ever saying the words Templar or Assassin for the whole time. Not a single database entry could hint at it (and they already managed to spoil major plot events in the codex entries anyway). It's a ton of work for something that even the slightest misstep could completely unravel anyway. I was already getting suspicious with how they kept dodging around with their language, there's no way it wouldn't have been patently obvious by the end. You can pull a twist like that in a movie or book where you can control exactly what information a player can get, but it's a lot harder to do in something interactive.

See: Heavy Rain for a good example of why unreliable narrators don't work in interactive fiction.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

Also anyone who says unreliable narrators don't work has not played Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

Fine. They have a better chance of working if your goal is comedic not more of a dramatic one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5tCCk1xpUI

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snuffman posted:

Also Ubisoft has already heavily implied in patch notes that they aren't going to do anything about performance (send us your performance issues, we'll look into it).

Except for the entire post about how they're investigating performance issues and starting to rework and optimize engine to get it to run better.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-185420-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tempo 119 posted:

I actually really liked the story in Unity overall. One of my favourites in the series for sure. It does have its weak moments ("Guys I've unravelled this whole Templar plot to gently caress everything up, it'll take 30 seconds to explain" "Lalala I can't hear you, you've been kicked out"), but the missions and setpieces mostly flow from one to the next in a logical way, instead of just meandering around for the first two thirds and then breathlessly time-skipping to the end, like all the other AC stories seem to do.

It's pretty AC2 like in construction, which is a good thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MizPiz posted:

Which is another reason why Ubisoft shouldn't do a game with cars.

Counterpoint:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Good News: It looks like the companion app is finally syncing properly.

Better News: Ubisoft took down Initiates yesterday to fix it and apparently did.

Ubisoft News: Initiates is now completely broken.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

macnbc posted:

Unity was in development for 4 years.

4 years.

If they were working on it that long and still couldn't figure out the core systems without hitting deadline then there's some major management issues there.

Most of what's breaking Unity is on the Uplay end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

So, is there a way to link my AC games to Initiates, or does that just happen automatically after it finishes being hosed? Because I know my level should be a hell of a lot higher, considering I 100%ed most of these drat games.

It's based off of Uplay.

I have like 4 games that Initiates has logged as 100%, but still doesn't think I finished the story in.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

As a developer of a big well known franchise you just can't satisfy every taste.

What if you divide the work on the game between multiple studios and attempt to capture as man6 as genres as possible

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

They said something else of similar value will be given to them instead IIRC.

They are not offering anything of imilar value.

The actual list was posted earlier and includes Watch_Dogs, FC4, and The Crew.

So for the price of a $10-20 DLC pack, you're getting $60 games free.

Also get FC4, it owns.

I guess I have to get The Crew.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Clearly Ubisoft is expecting everyone to pay an extra $50 in microtransactions to make up the profits they're about to eat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I'm playing Rogue now and it's loving embarrassing how much more competent it is than Unity.

The 4th game on an engine shouldn't really have any technical issues.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Lord knows they ironed the poo poo out of the graphical and technical issues between AC3 and Black Flag.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kuiperdolin posted:

You can solo it even the first time. And of course you can replay at will (in fact you need to play it at least three times to unlock all the reward$).

It'll also be easier to pick up the extra sync points without your team mates wondering where the hell you disappeared to.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Ah, i just noticed that the upgrades are yet another currency.

Talk about bullshit.

Eh, you spend your creed points to give stuff minor upgrades. You're going to accumulate those points from just playing the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Semi-mental posted:

What do you actually get from the nomad chests? I'm not sure I can be bothered with the mobile app crap unless you get something decent.

The major draw would be unlocking Altair's outfit. There's some mid-tier equipment.

It also unlocks some rift artifacts as well.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

effervescible posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. :smith:

On the plus side, some of them are functionally immortal. One of mine died a few days ago and when I went to recruit a new one, there she was.

They all are.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aishan posted:

I especially like the part where no-one cares that Arno had an actual Piece of Eden. I'd imagine that even if it were broken both the Assassin's and Templars would quite like that sword.

That was the piece of Eden that ended up with Napoleon.

I think they knew about that one. At least Subject 16 did. It's referenced in one of his puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

Far Cry 4 is good

Warning: You will hate every NPC except for Chiffon and Longinus. Maybe Pagan too. It's alright

• Locked thread