Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Azubah posted:

Didn't this used to be the things you unlocked if you 100%'d a chapter?
Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Okay so the right thread this time.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like a big expansion to the UPlay stuff for the game?
The boosts are what you want to look at really

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Well this explains hacks:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Don Gato posted:

What are the odds that it's as buggy as 3 was? Because these first impressions aren't exactly filling me with confidence.
Very high

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

But what do the consoles use?
AMD APUs, but that doesn't mean the developer is talking to AMD about the PC version for driver-specific optimisations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Don't worry they've sorted the important things first

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jonad posted:

I'm hearing that Unity is not great, but is it like a total unpurchasable mess on PC? Because I've got a monkey on my back that wants to open some chests real bad right now.
I didn't realise the monkey wanted to pay to open each chest

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Still running 1.1.0 here and with a 970 performance is a hot mess. The difference at 1080p between max and min settings is 15-20fps, but we're talking 25-45 fps range here. Amusingly when you disable vsync the game doesn't have a frame limiter so loading screens will be at 500fps+. Enable vsync at the driver level so your card doesn't explode. Game has hilarious amounts of tearing, pop-in and isn't visually impressive for all the resources it's wasting.

Since I don't recall anyone doing so here's some in-game shots:

What you'll see after watching the intro video after the start screen:

Game progresses fine after that into another cutscene then an in-game tutorial. This is where you finally get access to the start menu with the ability to check out the options. Note that the first entry in the list at this moment in the game is the eStore spouting 30% off. Here's the price list for helix credits for anyone curious:

Progressing into the game a bit I disabled AA and AO to hopefully improve performance, by default everything else was at high:

Around here I noticed the framerate disparity with vsync disabled so quit out to enable it at the driver level.

Start of sequence 3 here's the difference between the lowest and highest settings (Ultra High/Ultra High/PCSS/HBAO+/TXAA/Bloom):

For that particular scene with some visible NPCs lowest settings is 46fps, highest is 32fps. I just tried seting it to 3840x2160 to see what'd happen: the game and uplay crashed. On the plus side it's now found the patch so tune in next time for comparisons.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Checking the same shot under 1.2.0 performance is exactly the same under lowest/highest.

e: Trying 3840x2160 still crashes unsurprisingly, guess it was just some minor bug fixes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Found the patch notes for 1.2.0:
  • Fixed an issue where under some circumstances, Arno can fall through ground when free running on various props or when dropping down on to an NPC.
  • Fixed an issue where it is possible for Arno to get stuck in a hay cart next to the Pantheon in the Bièvre district.
  • Fixed an issue that may cause a game crash when joining the co-op session of another player who has a specific single player and side missions progression.
  • Improved performance in cinematic on low HW configurations
  • Fixed various flickering issues on nVidia SLI and AMD CrossFire configurations
  • Fixed various Graphic issues
    • Fixed light artifacts in PCSS shadows
    • Fixed problem with refresh rate on a first game launch.
  • Fixed various Input issues
    • Other keyboard/mouse fixes in several menu pages.
  • Fixed issues with “Invite to game” option when it was becoming unavailable after host migration, when it was active for all recent players instead of only for friends
Note that even with this patch, players may still experience
  • Most framerate issues that have been reported since the release of the game
  • Performance issues

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Digital Foundry did a comparison between PC, PS4 and Xbone versions: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

There's some really weird problems in co-op resulting in it going consistently sub-10fps.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Palpek posted:

Did they fix Unity's technical issues on PC yet?
Hahahaha

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

The game is sluggish on my PC but I swear it's gotten better (it's only truly awful anymore around cafe theatre, for some reason?), and I'm still holding out hope for 1.3 to fix that.
That's just a coping mechanism, 1.3 isn't even aiming to touch performance issues.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The cutscenes are being rendered in-engine, and probably push the machine even harder. With gameplay you have to have a buffer in case the player suddenly turns a different direction or attacks more guards than he did last time. With a cutscene you're free to use every bit of power to render a simple scene, you know exactly what will or won't appear.

They also appear to be using some heavy tessellation with hair and fabrics, which will probably hose anything but brand-new graphics cards. That's what's causing most of those hilariously terrible screenshots, I'd wager.

Good job loving this one up royally, Ubisoft.

It runs at 20fps on my xbone and I can't make myself play the drat thing even though I got it for free. I can't bring myself to buy it on PC when its so bland, but on my PC it would at least run well enough that I wouldn't get a headache. Blagh.
What's your barrier for headache? You won't be getting a stable framerate

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

In Unity the Katana is the best sword you can buy for a while.

25k-ish, which isn't too bad. The next upgrades are 5 times that.
I've been using the 5k mace and wrecking things fine.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I am not interested in spending $350-400 for a video card capable of running it
That won't fix it either

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, there seem to be people in this thread saying "It ran great once I bought a 970, just not on my previous card!"
They're locking it at 30fps or not at 1080p (I have a 970)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Patch 3 is being deployed on consoles "tomorrow" and PC "later this week". Patch 4 still wip.

Stability and Performance
  • Fixed numerous random crashes in Campaign and Co-op modes
  • Fixed specific framerate drops
    • Improved task scheduling
    • Tweaked performance for Reach High Points (Synchronization)

Gameplay (Navigation, Fight and Stealth)
  • Fixed various navigation issues where players could get stuck
  • Fixed various haystack issues
  • Fixed various cover issues
  • Fixed various camera issues
  • Fixed various animation issues
  • Fixed various Booster issues

AI & Crowd
  • Fixed various animation issues
  • Fixed various detection issues
  • Fixed various crowd station issues (bonfires)

Matchmaking, Connectivity and Replication
  • Fixed various matchmaking issues
  • Fixed various host migration issues (hand-off occurs more smoothly)
  • Fixed join-in-progress issues
  • Fixed various replication issues between host and clients
  • Fixed various issues in the My Club menu

Menus and HUD
  • Fixed various menu issues and pop-up overlap issues
  • Fixed Mission objective & updating issues
  • Fixed issues in customization menu
  • Fixed some localization inconsistencies in menus
  • Fixed some issues in the credits

Mission Tweaks (Campaign, Co-op and Side Content)
  • Fixed various low-repro walkthrough breaks
  • Fixed various NPC navigation issues
  • Fixed inconsistencies in some missions

World and 3D
  • Adjusted various collisions and navigation mesh issues

Progression and Difficulty
  • Adjusted various Community Event rewards

PC-Specific
  • Fixed save game corruption in some cases
  • Fixed temporal blur from SLI
  • Fixed graphical corruptions in Character Customization menu
  • Fixed crash in Character Customization menu on controller auto-switch
  • Alt+Enter switches windows correctly
  • NPC on side monitors show correctly
  • Minor UI improvements

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

effervescible posted:

So I was kind of hoping that my club could win a competition this week, since only the one that beat us in last week's round seemed very motivated. I signed on just now to see that in the new bracket, second- through sixth-place all had 0 points...and the club in first place has 2,147,483,647.

What the hell. Is that even possible, especially in less than a day? :stare:
Course not, that's the max value for a signed integer though - either the club code broke or someone figured out how to give themselves arbitrary points.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Nah, plenty of other people have posted saying that their experience has been as relatively bug-free as mine. Maybe we're the only people not trying to run the game on a loving hamster wheel?
What settings are you using? What resolution? What's the actual framerate the game's running at? What hardware do you have?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

So nobody has been able to figure out how to just hack all the armor as available yet, have they?
I don't think anyone even cares to try.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, going hand-to-hand against an armed person, disarming them of their spear or what-have-you, and plunging that poo poo right back into them is incredibly satisfying.
I'm fairly sure you could do that pre-AC3

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

macnbc posted:

Ubisoft is dropping Patch #5 for Unity. Console versions get it today. PC gets it tomorrow.

The big headline is that all Initiates and Companion App items are unlocked for everyone permanently now, but here are the full patch notes:
So much for the "major performance patch" that was forthcoming.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Adun posted:

After all the patches and all this time, is Unity worth getting? I've played every AC game up to now, have they fixed the poo poo enough?
Nope

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CitrusFrog posted:

Agreed. Even in the first hour or so of playing it (thanks to the Codex crack, no thanks to Ubi) I noticed several occasions where his accent went sideways

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm working on the Viking one because :black101:

so loving metal

Also: gently caress Ubisoft, I told them that the codex crack caused the game to launch without a problem so my issue shouldn't be THAT hard to fix, and they promptly told me that I was no longer eligible for support OR a refund. The loving game is on my account, I clearly didn't loving steal it.

Cunts.
lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Best part about Rogue is they hand you all the gear earlier than any other game. It was Sequence 6 or 7 for the blowdart gun in Black Flag, where in Rogue you get it before the end of Sequence 1. That's a good change to progression where you're not bottlenecking people through the story if they want to explore with tools.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

You should all be ashamed of yourselves: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/video-ubisoft-says-it-will-learn-from-assassin-s-creed-unity-mistakes/0149386

quote:

“Every year we take risks. This one we maybe have taken too many risks,” one of the developers in the IGN video you can see below admitted. Another added: “It's like your kid being told you're ugly and you're fat. And that hurts. Your little heart breaks a little bit.”

quote:

“For people to work so hard on something for four years and then to have the reception that it had you're leaving a piece of yourself in that thing.”

“The worst thing that can happen actually when you release a game is to have one of your bugs becoming the front cover of the entire internet. Nobody's happy when four years' of hard work is just imaged with a bug.”

“Personally some people took it on themselves that they'd made mistakes but at the same time I do feel for the fans who felt that it somehow didn't meet their expectations. That's disappointing as well and that's something we can never take for granted as a developer.”

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Silentgoldfish posted:

Why should I see them as a human being when they saw me as a walking wallet who wants to pay microtransactions on top of a full priced game? I'll have sympathy for them when they stop showing contempt for me. And change up the gameplay a little. I couldn't give a poo poo about pop-in and view distance but shanking the same guys to take over an enemy base, climbing a tower to reveal the map... eh.
They were proud enough to admit their mistakes by giving season pass holders a free game. Oh sorry, it was to sidestep class-action lawsuits and make sure their reliable market would buy the next release.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Also the skill point menu tells you on each skill what sequence you have to beat to be allowed to buy it. I feel like the double gate there is a bit lovely but a couple of the skills wouldn't make sense to unlock early due to the story.
To be honest if you're letting story dictate your upgrade progression to this degree you've hosed up somewhere.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

So there was a podcast with the lead designer for Syndicate and he fessed up that he was responsible for THAT tank mission in Brotherhood.

Are you excited yet?
i already had high expectations but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a bad trailer for a bad game

• Locked thread