Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Unity will probably have to work hard at having actually interesting poo poo to do for me to get it. I liked AC2 and AC4 but burnt out on their gameplay style; add the fact that Mordor actually did assassination poo poo better than a game about assassins. That said, game looks beautiful (even with laughable pop in and that barebones map) and I'd love to go back to vertical exploring after the tiny island huts of AC4.

Anyone notice there's zero ambient music in some of the leaked videos? That kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

A game series that features, as a plot point, a sci-fi machine that lets you explore different times in the past, can suffer glitches that causes different times to bleed together. Yup, sure sounds like totally obnoxious random monkey-cheese bullshit to me. Boy, Ubisoft sure is stretching with that one.

sounds like it'll handle timetravel bleeds way better than Bioshock Infinite, honestly anything is better than Desmond And Alien Friends Save Earth. If this leads to tanks showing up to Custer's Last Stand while the Wright Brothers are testing their plane in the same field, so be it, I'll gladly take that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all this poo poo looks stupid and intrusive as gently caress, jesus. it's like the most uplay bonus bullshit they've ever crammed into a game. No wonder the review embargo doesn't lift till the day of release.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at the "TAIL THE THUG" prompt combined with "TAIL" hovering over the guy while a big giant timer hovers over all. between this and all the transaction things to ensure people can beat the game, it's almost as funnier than getting EZ Mode golden mario in the new games

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

macnbc posted:

There have been full gameplay videos of both Rogue and Unity getting posted on Youtube left and right the last couple of days, if anyone wants to see either game in action.

None of the big sites have posted reviews of either game yet, but TheGamesCabin gets the first Unity review out of the gate, giving it an 8.8/10.

disclaimer that this is barely a "review" and basically gives zero details of the game, sounds like it was cobbled together based on preview streams the guy saw

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how are people just now realizing ubisoft is capable of putting out a game with lovely framerate that doesn't match E3 levels of wonder whilst also burying you in companion app bullshit and Uplay microtransactions? every stream I've seen looks beautiful til a dude's head pops out of nowhere and the game stutters to 20FPS so I guess I'll wait for reviews.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Megasabin posted:

When the reviews say "More the same folks. Better than AC3, but not quite as good as AC2. AC fans will enjoy it, but it won't make any new converts." will that be a purchase or an avoid for you? Because that's what the reviews are going to say.

why on Earth would anyone want to play a game below the par of AC2 if they like the AC series? I know this is now the popular sentence to parrot but it's a boring one and insinuates people who play the series are retarded.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

Probably because AC2 was both an exceptional game and such an enormous improvement over AC1 that it's hard to compare things to it. Since the series has been mostly treading water in terms of forward mechanics progress since then, it's hard to get a game better than AC2 because nothing has been such a dramatic leap forward. Unity might be that game, but probably won't be.

Unity kind of has the look of a "proper" followup to the AC2 material, which will probably be interesting to see reflect in reviews (maybe the words "return to form" thrown around). AC3/4 took different landscapes than the kind of architecture in Rome/Paris. Vertical exploration is something I missed a lot even in AC4 with its tiny huts and beach villages.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after the poo poo they've been pulling since Watchdogs I entirely welcome this being the year ubisoft gets its poo poo pushed in

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

Murder missions are somewhat disappointing in that they're;
  • Eagle Vision to light up clues (Practically a necessity, a lot of the clues are things that are otherwise not interactable in the game)
  • Talk to some static NPCs who spout a line or two of dialogue with no actual cinematic
  • Read a few notes and j'accuse a person.
  • Receive reward.

haha wow that was actually one mission type I was looking forward to. gently caress that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ethanol posted:

this is looking to be the lowest rated ac game of the entire series

"Fans of the series will probably like it, it fixes some issues from the last game but introduces a bunch of new ones on top. Story is messy and convoluted, but they nailed the atmosphere and Paris looks very impressive. Overall, AC: Unity is solid and well-made, but won't convert people who have grown tired of the formula. 8/10"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pengun101 posted:

I am playing through AC: Unity. And wow, people who're calling this game ugly must find a shitload of games to be ugly. Cause it's gorgeous on my ps4. Screens and even the least compressed youtube videos don't do it justice. Looks beautiful on my ps4. Parkour took a bit to get used too. Feels a lot more realistic and weighty. Way less room for error if you know what you're doing, combat does indeed feel better and harder but it remains to be seen how it feels throughout the game and with other weapons. Great acting and music btw. only one glitch so far.

So yeah Neogaf is full of poo poo. again

ugly =/= runs like crap, have yet to see this game look like it won't stutter like poo poo so far and magically place mary poppins teleporters into the street lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not sure how ubisoft was claiming "this uses the full power of ps4/xbone" when Mordor looks, operates, and plays better at this rate, I'm getting stuck on windows and couches under cover for god's sake. Mordor had a "snap" into cover but it let you move off it easy, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Okay I am seeing a LOT of bad performance reviews for Unity on Steam. :stare:

The game doesn't unlock for another 13 hours, but is it even worth getting now? I assume they'll need to patch the poo poo out of it.

I'm assuming there's no magical patch that will fix every problem because they sure didn't care about any AI/engine glitches in Watchdogs, which was another fun mistake. Pretty sure consensus is "this game is garbage" so yeah, why would it be worth getting?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It seems to me the consensus is that the game has performance issues but is fun(basically just more AC) when it works.
I know some people usually really wish the big Ubisoft titles to suck, but come on.

"when it works" is a stupid caveat when you've spent 60 dollars on a game you expect to, I don't know, run without loving up constantly or running like poo poo?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

These issues are really starting to loving get to me, I have to say. I can't play co-op because enemies appear and lag out of nowhere and spot/kill me, and I can't even fight them off because between the horrific network lag and the framerate lag I can't even REACT to them so I pretty much just stand still until they kill me. Also I had the Edward Kenway outfit, but then I took it off, and now I don't have it anymore? Just tells me to play AC Initiates.

Goddamn, Ubisoft. Get your poo poo together.

Didn't have buyer's remorse yesterday but now it's slowly beginning to creep in.

don't worry I'm sure they're still "working on it"

also lol http://finance.yahoo.com/tumblr/blog-ubisoft-gets-crushed-after-abysmal-assassins-creed-165926902.html

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

I am looking to purchase this particular game, but I'm unsure whether I really should. It's $120 in Australia and I'm really having a hard time justifying it to myself due to all the bugs people have been reporting and the poor game experience.

Is there any reason I should pick this game up or should I not waste my money.

how many more times are we gonna see "should I buy this piece of poo poo game?!?" dude please do not waste 120 loving dollars on this, even people in this thread who spitballed "im having fun anyway!!!!" are now flat out pissed off at it for one reason or another

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lunethex posted:

All this Ubisoft hate doesn't make sense to me. The game is perfectly playable.

Tenzarin posted:

its cool you don't like it go talk on reddit or gamefaqs how you are unsatisfied in one of the simplest games ever made.

this is loving gold

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KittySpinEcho posted:

To those of you who are on the fence about buying this game, please don't. I'm really enjoying reading your posts about how bad the game you've never played is. :allears:

haha it's ok dude you don't need to project these things to feel better about your crappy purchase

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

macnbc posted:

Honestly I feel like this is the year of Next Gen Disappointment(tm).
I look back to the games I was looking forward to coming out this year:
* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny
* This year's AC title (since AC4 was awesome and Unity hadn't been announced yet)

And NONE of them have lived up to the hype. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get a PS4 game I've been looking forward to and be completely blown away by it like so many times on previous generations.

(On the plus side I feel there's been "surprise" good games coming out instead like Shadow of Mordor)

Buy a Wiiu. DKC, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, and probably Smash are all excellent games with 60fps and were completed without gamebreaking bugs. It's kind of funny the system got all the Ubisoft games up til Rogue/Unity, the release that sucked; Black Flag ran pretty well and was a generally good entry.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

When it comes to the current-day storyline I actually feel for Ubisoft. In every part of the franchise this was the section under the heaviest criticizm no matter how good a game was.

lol why? they knew what they were doing when they put out a poorly optimized game that is barely held together. if they really were trying to "give people what they want" they'd omit all the intrusive poo poo and maybe do more testing before, god forbid, we go a year without a loving AC installment.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

macnbc posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on this! I had just bought it from them for $40 on Saturday since that seemed like a good price at the time. Fortunately since it hasn't even delivered yet I just got customer service to refund me the difference.

(I also had some leftover Amazon gift credit so the whole thing barely cost me $10 now)

or you could just cancel it and not buy it at all, which is the best choice

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chronicles looks really cool but I'll be comparing it to Mark Of The Ninja, which set the bar extremely high for 2D stealth/action games. Ubisoft could easily outmatch the production values if they actually give a poo poo about putting out a good product so I'm cautiously optimistic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loving hate Ubisoft and Unity was Ubisoft garbage to maximum but goddamn if that grappling hook mechanic (greatest thing you can add to ANY game) pays off and Victorian England looks good without graphical fuckups then I might be interested. That is presuming Ubisoft actually learned anything from Unity's meltdown but who even knows, since this game is coming only a year after Unity.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that gameplay walkthrough bored the poo poo out of me. really all they did was go through an incredibly generic mission, and the only difference was in the grapple. Also lol for integrating a very rudimentary grapple in the same year that Just Cause 3 is going to blow the poo poo out of AC's grappling mechanic.

it's kind of a shame because all this basically told me is that even with a cooler setting, it's still the same old bullshit we've seen for years and people are are likely finally tired of it. The Victorian setting would be interesting but now they're even inventing ways to bypass the unique architecture. By the time this comes out I'll have Batman and MGS5 so what can this new AC possibly bring to the table? Both of those games plus JC3 will probably do everything better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Black Flag wasn't that great outside of the boat bits

AC peaked with AC2 and then kept it going with AC4 for a time but literally the only thing they've changed since then is 1) now you can crouch 2) now you can climb down. Oh I guess top hats and limited grapplings too but that's it. AC4 was good solely because it completely changed how you travel, what the world feels like, and so on. Ubisoft could literally ditch the assassin poo poo, take 2 years, and make the best pirate game ever made but they're retarded so they won't.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

effervescible posted:

Black Flag was great just for its setting and piratey activities, but one of the things that really stuck with me about it is the emotional journey Edward went through, from an absolute(ly entertaining) dickhead to a guy who more or less ruined his own life and learned to live for something greater while not being able to get back what was lost. The sequence with him going on a massive bender of despair was fantastically well-done.

These are my unnecessarily earnest thoughts about Stabby Parkour: The Series.

yeah agreed, it was nice that you were a dude who barely gave a poo poo and became a part of it by accident. they should have done even more with that but as is, it was a welcome departure from the sanctimonious crap the main series had. The pirate stuff was so great it makes me wonder why we couldn't have a big pirate game series instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

khy posted:

Ubisoft didn't have a great time last year though. Bad press about Unity bugs, bad press about microtransactions, bad press about that 'female protagonist' E3 PR flop, bad press about Watch Dogs, etc. At this point I think they need a strong AC game with high scores to get people thinking of the company in a positive way again. In that regard I would honestly be amazed if they were willing to risk another rush job and even more bad press as a result.

the game will probably not sell as well as the other big releases this year and Ubisoft will need to announce, like, Beyond Good + Evil 2 at E3 to restore any hope. They already just made a Far Cry and a Trials game so idk what their conference will be about besides Dance Dance and AssCreed.

• Locked thread