Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I've already bought, played and enjoyed every AssCreed game since 1 so I already know I'm grabbing this because I have a problem :shepicide:.

But am I the only one who's excited for more Haytham Kenway appearing? He was my favorite character in 3 and I kind of wish he was the main protagonist instead of Connor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Actually I think no. Abstergo has never seen him before.

I don't know about Shaun, but whasn't whatshername raised completely off the grid like Desmond? There's nothing for Abstergo to track in that case, so unless she does whatever Desmond did to get caught they're probably not going to do anything to her because they don't even know who she is.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

In rear end 3 during the Brazil level, the event flag for the scene where the hitman shows up and kills the chick with the battery core never got thrown. I spent the next thirty minutes looking around for where the hell he was supposed to be while NPCs ran around screaming as if the scene had happened.

The Brazil level took me four tries to beat because that stupid hitman never spawned. Hopefully Unity and Rogue aren't even close to being that buggy.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's strange that they choose to add those in the non-multiplayer one. Are people really that bad at the games?

Never underestimate how terrible some people can be at video games, and how they most likely have more dollars than sense.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna wait a few weeks to see what the goon consensus is. Co-op sounds cool but none of my friends are gonna buy it day 1 anyway so I can wait.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Snuffman posted:

Me too. :(

But at the end of the day, there's really nothing quite like the AssCreed games.

Sometimes you just want to run along the rooftops, jump down and stab a man in the neck, hide in a bale of hay and stab the guard who investigates the first guard's death and then cause chaos by throwing money on the floor and poisoning/berserking a random person. It might be the same game I've been buying since AssCreed 1 but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that does that style of gameplay nearly as well.

Though now that I see that typed out it looks an awful lot like the argument my friends who buy the new Call of Duty year after year use...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Seconding a stand alone AC multi game. AC has a pretty unique online experience and I'd love to see more of it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What are the odds that it's as buggy as 3 was? Because these first impressions aren't exactly filling me with confidence.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Gotta justify that 60 dollar preorder somehow.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Shanties should be in every game, especially the ones with hilariously dirty lyrics. Whatever version of Drunken Sailor they put in Black Flag did not have my favorite verses.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I have an important question, can I buy historical landmarks again? I thought it was loving hilarious how in Brotherhood and Revelations I could buy/renovate things that no individual had any business owning like the Hagia Sophia and what felt like half the churches in Rome, and the series is poorer for their absence.

Also can I call assassins out of hay bales to murder people again? Sometimes I'm too lazy to actually walk over to someone and stab them.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, they're called the rest of the series before this one. :ssh: Speaking of that, I think I might replay one of the AC2 trilogy while waiting for this to work. I might even wait until after Cyber Monday so I can upgrade my computer a little bit.

Hey, I can't play as that hilariously dorky looking 1920's hooded assassin, and he's the one who looks the most interesting :colbert:. Or that other awesome Irish freedom fighter assassin, but I want to play that game for a completely different reason.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wish. The Saboteur is kind of broken on modern hardware. Most of all, the overlay of map points/objectives/locations doesn't sync with the underlying map image itself.

Also there is a distinct lack of both hoods and Ireland in the Saboteur. The main character might be Irish and a freedom fighter but he sure as poo poo isn't fighting for Irish freedom.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

im pooping! posted:

Achilles could just be bitter

90% of his characterisation in AC3 was how he was a bitter, grumpy old man. Good to see that even during the 7 years war he was just as bitter.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I still have no idea what the Templar plot in AC3 was supposed to be. It seemed like at first they wanted to start the revolution, because they started the Boston Massacre but then afterwards they were hellbent on ending it except for when they weren't. And I know this is a controversial opinion but I liked Shaun's contrarian opinions on why the American Revolution happened, it was a nice change of pace from what I heard growing up about the revolution being about colonists and OUR FREEDOM. Shaun himself is still a douche, however.

Deakul posted:

Just beat Revelations and I honestly loved it.

Started the series from AssCreed2 about 3 months ago and it's been a hell of a ride, I'll miss Ezio's adventures but not really, I think I'll just miss him the most.
Loved his ending and I love Altair's ending, even if I did skip AC1... I felt I got enough of a gist from AC2 and Brotherhood to sympathize with him.

Constantinople was honestly beautiful and the hook blade was fun and made climbing everywhere a lot quicker, I barely used bombs except for like 2 notable situations and the tower defense stuff I did exactly one time when it was introduced.

Time for AC3, expectations are tempered so I'm going in not expecting anything amazing and a mostly boring protag.

I like Revelations if only for the part at the end where Ezio talks to Desmond. Also Subject 16 was surprisingly interesting, but then he had to go and die :argh:. Seriously I kind of wish he was the real world protagonist, he was an interesting combination of insane and knowing what was going on. Desmond, why didn't you let him ride in your head?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

They wanted the Colonies to be free, but wanted them to be free under their rule.

Or as they put it to Conner, Washington and the others were just as bad as the British, and would keep exploiting people/screwing the natives if they had a chance. The Templars wanted to kill Washington/the leaders of the Revolution and replace them with themselves/Lee. Then they'd win the war, give full rights to the Natives ( who'd help them find more Precursor sites, but also probably join the Templars en masse. ), and rule the Americas as a new Templar stronghold.

Also this isn't mentioned in the game at all, only the comic that came with it, but they aren't actually Templars. Haythem was sent over to America to find the site, but around the same time he found it/invited Lee into the Order, he found out the guy that sent him from the beginning of the game murdered his dad/sold his sister off as a slave, so he went back and murdered every single Templar he knew about in the old world. The American Templars basically wanted to form a new Order that was a mix between the Templars pragmatism, with the Assasins goals. Then Conner killed them all because plot.

It sure would have been great if that was mentioned in any loving place in the game. Or gave the assassin's any goals other than STOP TEMPLARS to explain why I want to stop people who seem to have Connor's motives in mind. It does confirm that Haytham Kenway is still the best character in the game, he just stabs people and gets things done. Do they ever explain why he became a Templar in the first place, seeing as his dad was an assassin? I still haven't finished Black Flag's story since I lost interest after the British take back Nassau and just played the game like it was Sid Meier's Pirates 2013 Edition.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HaitianDivorce posted:

Meanwhile Shaun and Rebecca infiltrated Abstergo Entertainment in Black Flag to get some information but apparently as of Unity that hasn't amounted to anything.

Well, they did get a random hacker douche in Chicago to kill the COO of Abstergo Entertainment.

And if we're going hypothetical future games, I'd kill for a game set during the twilight years of the Qing dynasty. The old order is dying, there are guns but most people are too poor for them, and the Assassin's and Templars fit in a lot better because they could be sponsoring factions during the inevitable civil war. Though that's not likely because other than me, who the hell wants an Assassin's Creed game in a period that obscure?

Along those lines I'd love the Mexican Revolution. Pancho Villa could be an Assassin and Victoriano Huerta could be the Templar :yayclod:. And an overly convoluted plot would fit right in because holy crap that entire era was a clusterfuck.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Of course, none of this was ever mentioned again and it seems like the world outside the animus is chugging along well enough to make VR video games a viable industry.

I thought it was done by the same weird hacker dude who also gives you the "real" story in Liberation. I think his/their name was Erebus or Erudito or something like that, it was in the old Initiates. He was just loving with Abstergo, kind of disappointing but there ya go :shrug:.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually surprised they went through the effort. Most other people probably would have just said gently caress it, call the main character Flying Eagle and honestly I wouldn't see too many people getting mad since Mohawk naming conventions isn't exactly mainstream. Plus all the animus database things about the native tribes were interesting to me at least, though I'm probably in the minority there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That's why they don't like it.

They want the standard AC formula. That's why they buy the game every year. A lot don't like Unity either because it changed the combat system and you're not invincible anymore.

Wasn't like half the reason they made ACIV half of a ship combat game because a lot of people liked that part from 3? I know that the ship combat was the only part I really liked in AC3 and wished there was more of that, and then behold! The next game is basically that multiplied by the entire Caribbean. The only way it could have been better is if they just said gently caress it to the Assassin's/Templar storyline and just made it Sid Meier's Pirates! 2, with all the piratey goodness that implies.

• Locked thread