Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Palpek posted:

Do what you want, Ubisoft, already paid :smuggo:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crowd and random event density on PS4 is way up for me after the patch.

The companion app missions are insultingly easy. Oh and of course it's dozens more icons making GBS threads up the map. Yay. *keeps complaining but plays another hour each night because it's mind-numbingly cold outside*

I seem to be getting "double-assassinate those two criminals" like every time I turn a corner on XBO. This game is probably an incomprehensible rube goldberg machine where they can't change one thing on one end without something on the other end exploding. Yet I keep playing it because drat it it's historical fiction in a video game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

gently caress me now I'm going to replay IV with Hatted Edward like I should have the first time.

Just finished the copy of Unity that came with my Xbox One, basically out of obligation. Other than the cinematic framerate the game worked fine, thankfully. This was the third I'd played all the way through - I did II and IV before. I really dug those two, but this one never really grabbed me. The descend button is great, the city looks exactly as I would imagine Paris in that era would look, and the combat is really good once you get the hang of it, but the good parts never really seem to add up to a good whole. I stayed fairly close to the mainline campaign because the loving pile of side poo poo was too intimidating, and as a result I felt like I never had enough goddamn money. Having three kinds of in-game currency was pretty dumb. It kept telling me I had unspent Creed Points and I had to google to figure out what those were for. The story wasn't particularly interesting and I really wish the game was about Elise instead of Arno. I don't regret playing through it but it was definitely a slog. There won't be a replay and I'm putting it down now that I'm done with the story. If Victory is more of this, no thanks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

macnbc posted:

I wouldn't mind if they kept the investigative missions like the murder mysteries, except maybe put some level of difficulty into them. The ones in Unity were all painfully simple.

If they built the game around the murder mysteries and made you more of a detective than just a crouch-parkouring sword machine that would be cool. Almost a Sherlock Holmes type deal?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

As somebody who goddamn loves murder mysteries and Holmes stories, yes, Crimes and Punishments is legit the best. Just play that.

I'm sorry, I can't handle historical fiction games that don't take place in a virtual reality simulation-within-the-game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nothing pisses me off more than when the game decides I need to chase someone and my character decides it's time to climb this wall facing 90° away from the dude I'm running after because my arm clipped it or some poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Orv posted:

Ten bucks says Victory and Unity were in somewhat parallel development and Victory is going to be slightly less broken but broken in the same ways.

Turn the crowds down and get the god drat frame rate up to at least 30...

...is what they won't do because they're morons. I made it through Unity but god drat it was a slideshow and those massive numbers of NPCs were worth it maybe once, and even then it was just visually. Has anyone mentioned that Ubi's staking their entire holiday on this one game?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

upgrade your potato, Unity ran fine

Played it on the Bone which, while technically a potato, is also pretty much the target spec level for the game. The framerates were garbage.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ymgve posted:

I guess it might be related to getting the game to perform better than AC:U, but it looked like Syndicate has a lot fewer building interiors than AC:U had. Then again, there might be just as many interiors, only that in the hundred years that passed between the games, someone figured out that having doors in their doorways would be a good idea.

Also, that one part in the middle of the trailer was basically Grand Theft Carriage, they even included street lights that fall down if you as much as look at them.

It also seems to be scaling back on the framerate-murdering hair tech from Unity that didn't look very good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Calaveron posted:

What tickles my funny bone is that the game is in apparently pre-alpha stages. Now I don't know much about game developing but when I hear prealpha I imagine textureless polygons or very rudimentary models in featureless voids going through the motions in order to test the engine and physics and stuff like that, not stuff that is basically 80% done with some janky animations and noticeable pop-in that will still make it into the final version of the game.

All "pre-alpha" means in this case is "please don't hold the conspicuous pop-up against us even though it's definitely going to be in the final game"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I get that there are people who worked hard for a long time on Unity who didn't get a say in all of the bad decisions that went into it, and that its reception sucked for them. It just isn't clear to me what we're supposed to do with that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I wonder if EA is going to get IP-butthurt over the use of the word "Syndicate"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Not numbering them might be Ubi's way of trying to give them a longer sales tail. Still sell some copies of Unity when Syndicate is out, that sort of thing. The numbers could lead people to think sequels render the previous entries moot. Of course, another way to combat this would be to stop putting them out like loving Madden games but they never asked me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They probably will go earlier in the next game. and unity is 13 bucks used on gamefly.

They need to put it on the XBox One. I don't want to play it at 720p and 25 fps. I want to play it at 900p and 30 fps.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

The dumb lore is the best part of these games.

WHAT? The best parts of these games are the detailed setting areas and architecture, rad poo poo like pirate ships, and never having to play Unity again.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I wonder if they're aiming for low expectations this time so the narrative is "well that was better than I expected"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Who Dat posted:

After all this time, is Unity still poo poo though (bugs and companion app poo poo ironed out?) I bought it for 20 on a PSN because I'm actually interested in Syndicate and I'd like to at least say I experienced the story, whatever that might be. I picked up Unity at release and I probably put it down after a week and haven't looked back until this weekend. That being said, I'm having more fun this time around. Maybe my tolerance for bullshit has gotten more forgiving, I don't know.

Most of the bugs have been ironed out but it still isn't a very good game.

• Locked thread