Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Should I play Rogue before Unity? Or does it really not matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

macnbc posted:

I'm really torn on this still. I'm leaning towards playing Rogue first for 3 reasons:

1. Chronologically it takes place before Unity
2. Its gameplay is based off of AC4, where Unity has a bunch of its systems overhauled and redesigned. I think I'll have a hard time going back to "the old way" after playing the revamped version.
3. I think the story sounds more interesting

However, Unity is clearly the flagship title this year and the one Ubisoft has spent the majority of its time and money on it rather than Rogue.

I think it comes down to personal preference.

Yeah, I agree. It'll be a shame not to be playing the flagship game on launch day, but the change in controls probably seals the deal for me.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Rad Valtar posted:

Looks like Rogue is going to be $35 at Target for Black Friday which means Amazon will probably price match.
That sounds like a good reason to wait a few weeks.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Guys, Ubisoft meant they were releasing 60fps worth of games this fall, total. It was 30fps for Unity and 30fps for Rogue. In Fall 2015 they will release 4 games at 15fps. In 2016, 8 games at 7.5fps and so on

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Lothire posted:

Not getting many hits for this, but is there a known issue for AC Unity discs not working for PS4? It gives me a "possible damage/dirt" message and spits out the disc.
It's just your PS4 telling you the game is dirt and shouldn't be played.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
People who claim you couldn't hide in the wilderness of AC3 must have forgotten to climb trees. Vast swaths of the forests were navigable via the canopy. Made hunting and assassinations easy.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

ayn rand hand job posted:

regarding 0x60000001 connectivity problems...

Assassin's Creed Unity: Hang tight, and bear with us while we get this sorted out!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Jonad posted:

Oh gently caress it I can't stop thinking about running around getting collectibles gently caress you Ubisoft.

I'm gonna buy this lovely game.

We're all gonna buy/play it inevitably. I'm just waiting for Ubi$oft to finish its paid public beta.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Toplowtech posted:

As long as they refer to themselves as "The order", "our order"... it could have worked.

True. "...the creed our organization lives by..." "...the battles our predecessors fought in the Middle East and Italy..." "...the legacy left for us by the First Civilization..."

They could have strung us along a lot longer, but instead we got a malformed Connor.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Daily Forecast posted:

edit:

The Initiates site really wants me to know that I unlocked the Shao Jun avatar so maybe something's still hosed there.

This reminded me of how in AC3, one of my wagons got stuck in attacked/damaged mode with no recourse to correct it. It constantly reminded me that one of my wagons was hosed, but I couldn't do anything about it. Now that I think about it AC3 and AC4 both were frequently reminding me repetitively of the same notifications over and over.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Maybe just some top section of the Empire State, otherwise it would take an hour.

Ok, to summarize, asscreed is equal parts stabbing and http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_structures_built_before_the_20th_century

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Sorry of this was already posted, but clips of Unity's next DLC have started to leak online.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Patch 3 is being deployed on consoles "tomorrow" and PC "later this week". Patch 4 still wip.
Awesome, Unity is almost released. Might be able to pick it up before Christmas!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Ubisoft would work on an ARG between releases, but they are too busy polishing cinematic videos and mating them to current pop songs.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Thank you to whoever in this thread called out an Amazon lightning deal for Rogue. My $30 copy just showed up. Played for a couple hours and it feels like an ultra-polished AC4, which I guess it is. I literally fell asleep during a modern Abstergo conversation. I'd rather any amount of Desmond over this faceless drone.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

muscles like this? posted:

they just doubled what they originally had with the Arctic variants

It's like M:TG Ice Age/Cold Snap. I'm going to have to craft boat upgrades with special Snow-Covered Lumber, aren't I?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm actually enjoying exploring the nooks and crannies of the the River Valley in Rogue. This is what AC3's frontier should have been like.

I'm sitting on a pile of cash from looting chests and liberal piracy. Will there be buildings for me to invest in for a return/cash stream, or should I just blow it on awesome swords and pistols?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I struggle with people's critique of Connor's voice actor in AC3, because I know Natives speak with different tone and cadence. Ezio's and Altair's speech lends more easily to eurocentric action/drama, so in contrast, Connor's voice sounds flat, which can make the character seem flat, reinforcing the Forrest Gump analogy.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Flaming shitpile or not, $30 is my price point for Unity. Just piled it in with my amazon holiday gift order.

Like OP, I'm also considering French audio and English subtitles. But I suppose the French audio might lean towards 18th century proletariat rather than the 20th century urbanite that I barely learned.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

While both sea maps are smaller than Black Flag, they kind of make up for it in that you never have to hit a loading screen to land somewhere.

I am still bewildered that whenever I fast travel to Halifax, it spawns the boat 1 km away rather than at the dock. But still better than loading to land.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm only halfway through Rogue, but it is starting to get glitchy. The front half of the game was really polished, but the back half is like an acid trip. People are sinking into and rising out of the cobblestone streets of New York. In fights with multiple guards, all characters briefly freeze in awkward stances and the camera pans in an awkward loop like a Fight Club sex montage. Mountains in the distance stand proud and pink like little girls playing princess dress-up. Ubisoft once again shows its true colors, one of which appears to be pink.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Is Unity all land based? Wrapping up Rogue and I think I've had enough of boats. The lady in my house is also sick of pirate shanties, and I'm sick of chasing them.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Finished Rogue's main story and I'm watching the credits stutter up my screen. Can't wait to crack open Unity. :geno:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

macnbc posted:

Finally got around to starting Unity this evening.

For the record: It took me less than 10 minutes to make it crash on my PS4.

All I did was push the touchpad when indicated to load up the database entry on Jacques De Molay. Instead the UI disappeared and all the controls became unresponsive. I had to force quit the game and restart it.

And this is after Ubisoft has issued 4 patches for the drat thing.

Ahahahaha I came here to post this exact loving post, down to the freeze point. This is astonishing. This game really needed 6 more months in the oven.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Is the ps4 club LLJK? Is it full? It says 40/50 members, but too many players have applied.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Hey guys I'm the guy that started the psn club. Right after it happened my internet went out and I haven't added anyone yet. Sorry for the inconvenience it should be fixed today so I can probably do it tonight or tomorrow at the latest if it's not fixed tonight. Unless anyone knows a way I can add members while not actually being in the game.

Dang, hope it gets sorted. Applied to GBG0 as xopherwhite.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I wish Unity had a thousand more chests of different access levels making GBS threads up the map. Maybe a game of only chests that first have to be unlocked on two other devices.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The Grimace posted:

So, another thing that's loving bullshit: not being able to to use human shields anymore. I hated this feature in AC3 because it never worked, but then it became fantastic in AC4. Now it, like whistling, is just magically gone to add more difficulty to the battle system. The thing is, enemy guns in this game are cheap as hell since they're so hard to dodge otherwise.
Well, if they didn't do this, then you wouldn't need to be constantly taking Medicine. (Press X to buy Premium Medicine from the Playstation Store.)

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Kuiperdolin posted:

Design by comedy I suppose.
FTFY

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Kuiperdolin posted:

Fireworks do what whistling used to except when a guy stands with his back to you, in which case just go ovrr thrre and kill him.

And excpet hou can't use them in haystacks I guess.

What I miss is reliable double assassinations.

I've tried fireworks as sneaky corner lures and more than half of the time the lighting and throwing of the firework puts the guards on red alert, charging for my position. I honestly don't know if this is a bug or a feature.

I also miss double assassinations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
derp

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

J-Spot posted:

They're still in but you have to spend skill points to get them. They really made some pretty poor design choices in this game and it's particularly glaring coming off of Black Flag.

I bought the skill but can't consistently execute a double when running up on 2 dudes. :shrug:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Earwicker posted:

I actually liked the combat in AC3 the best, if mainly for the animations and superior selection of weapons. Too bad everything else in that game sucked.

Plunging a dude's fixed-bayonet musket back into his own chest was satisfying every time.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Volkerball posted:

Is this game still broken and lovely? Please don't be overly critical nerds in your responses, tia.

Paris is beautiful, but some of it pops in at the last second. You can still run around and kill dudes, although sometimes not with the weapon or method you thought you were going to. You can still sneak around a bit, although sometimes you get stuck in high/low profile modes you weren't expecting. Ladders continue to be an abomination unto the Lord.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

macnbc posted:

Playing the PS4 version: Unity has crashed more times for me than any other console game I have ever played.

It also is totally random and sudden when it occurs. Nothing appears glitchy beforehand. Nothing starts to slow down. It is just working perfectly fine and then.. stops.
Sometimes it just sits there frozen, sometimes the PS4's crash reporter pops up instead. Either way it is spectacularly frustrating and I just keep hoping it doesn't occur mid-save someday.

+1 on this too. I was just running down an empty hallway in the catacombs of Dead Kings last night and the game poo poo the bed and the crash reporter popped up. I watched the little crash reporter video a half dozen times like a Truther looking for video artifacts that weren't there. :tinfoil:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Snuffman posted:

Hey, we could always have a Napoleonic Wars AC! That could have Egypt, and boats!

Yeah, honestly, Napoleon ransacking Egypt with soldiers and scholars to find the Apple Arno hid there would be a classic Asscreed riff on history. I hope Ubisoft tries to release 3 games on it in 2016.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Oh I forgot to mention that in addition to more kinds and colors and security levels of chests in the next game, I want them to all contain at least a half dozen different arbitrary fictional currencies because 3 different currencies was just lazy

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Speaking of Dead Kings, is that Leon kid supposed to be somebody? His codex entry is kind of vague and they set him up quite a bit but there isn't really any pay off as far as I can tell.
I think they show Leon practicing air assassinations in that little backyard, implying he'll be a future assassin. Given the crappy characters in asscreed lately, Leon was a surprisingly interesting character.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crowd and random event density on PS4 is way up for me after the patch.

The companion app missions are insultingly easy. Oh and of course it's dozens more icons making GBS threads up the map. Yay. *keeps complaining but plays another hour each night because it's mind-numbingly cold outside*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
On the flip side, the only co-op sessions I played from start to finish were with goons. Almost every other co-op session I played I jumped in after the objectives were compete and pubbies were just running around grabbing sync points. I followed suit and "finished" the mission without doing any work. There is a joke about Ubisoft in there somewhere.

• Locked thread