Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Shima Honnou posted:

There is precedent in games being removed from Steam but remaining in libraries for anyone who bought them. Fable 3 is an example that I happen to own (E: And also Mafia 1). I believe The Movies and the Godfather games used to be on Steam but aren't anymore.

But the difference here is these are games that aren't even out yet, rather than games that have run the course of their live span, so who the gently caress knows.

I'd bet on people getting refunds if it's gone for good, I don't think Ubisoft would support patching through Steam for just the people who preordered it. They let Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 be unsold for years on Steam because of patching issues I believe.

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

I think Valve requires all DLC to be available for purchase in the Steam store, Mass Effect 3/Dragon Age 2 a problem because of bioware points being the only way to get dlc.

All of this is very disappointing because I hate Uplay patching, but I didn't preorder it and don't plan on buying it until it's on sale anyways. There's usually some kind of discount on AC games around black friday or christmas sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Recently finished AC Unity, and I found it to be decent fun but an average-quality entry in the series, some of my own complaints I didn't see included with the oft repeated ones in this thread:

- The music was completely unmemorable. Black Flag's theme, the ship battle music, etc can still pop into my head when I think about that game

- I didn't mind not being able to switch weapons on the fly, seeing as how they were trying to make that choice substantial, but I really missed having the hidden blade as an option all the time and feels like it should've since you always have that with you and whatever weapon you choice you had.

- Taking away the human shield for gunshots is awful. Yea, you can roll away when the shooting icon is fully highlighted, but rolling doesn't occur instantly and interrupt animations like parry does so you're screwed half the time.

- I've always liked the historical aspect of the games, but for ACU they should've tied in the story more to the revolution - so much of it seemed like background noise when it should've been more front and center. It's a great setting, but after the complaints of AC3 of the ridiculousness of being central to so many major events in the American Revolution, I think Ubi went too far to the other end of the spectrum and not tying in the French Revolution into the game's story enough.

I'm still looking forward to Rogue, but I'll wait until it's on sale for a decent amount.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Watching that gameplay video, I didn't see ropes or whatnot strung across the roads between buildings, so I wonder if this is just a "pre-alpha" thing or if your batclaw is going to be good enough to get you across the streets, else the parkour will be as frustrating as AC3.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

TheDarkFlame posted:

To be fair, in the world of these games that is the case, all religions are the misremembered legacies of a super-intelligent precursor race and the results of humans using artefacts and other remnants that they leave behind. I'm pretty sure that in these games a good number of supernatural events actually happened due to these ancient artefacts, and pretty much any invention you can name was discovered by humans using the artefacts.

But, you know, I don't think Ubisoft will ever make Assassin's Creed 8: The Adventures Of The Son Of God, because while that would definitely generate publicity, it would piss people off on a monolithic level.

I was so disappointed in AC3 when you finally get to use all the supposed assassin training in the animus to do something as Desmond; it didnt play well at all and then they gave you a gun for some of it.

But some of the religious/conspiracy poo poo I thought was fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okIA8iI5Tw

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/assassins-creed-first-look-heres-michael-127715456582.html

quote:

Meet Michael Fassbender as Callum Lynch in Assassin’s Creed.

Based on the massively popular — and prolific — video-game series of the same name, the movie version is set to open in theaters Dec. 21, 2016.

Before hardcore Assassin's Creed gamers start scratching their heads (and filling up the comments) about how exactly Callum Lynch fits into the game world, we can tell you that Fassbender’s character was created specifically for the film. (The movie isn’t retelling any of the existing games, but rather introducing new characters into the same world.)

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight), cameras start rolling for Assassin's Creed on Monday. Filming is set to happen in Malta, London, and Spain.

I'm cautiously optimistic, as Fassbender and Cotillard are great, it's being co-produced by Fassbender's own production company so he's got more of a stake in its success, and it isn't following any specific already-established storyline. Because we all know they're a mess. I wonder if they will forgo any of the precursor stuff; sticking to the "use your ancestor's memory to train yourself for the present fight" is great as is, the whole "Those Who Came Before" sounds too goofy for the screen though I do enjoy it in the games.

I started making my way through AC: Rogue after getting it cheap on Amazon a couple months ago, and with the new assassin enemies I can no longer just rush through some objectives now and have died a few times from being surprised by them, which is a nice change of pace. I have to kinda be sneaky now, in an AC game! Who knew!

The new ship stuff is great, but I prefer the more open waters of AC4.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Finished Rogue last night, and it was a good Black Flag 1.5. Way too much busywork objective stuff I skipped, many settlements and stuff like the bonus armors except for the one you get from the legendary ship battles, but overall A Good Game. The improvements to ships were fun: being boarded was great, though I don't like how closed off the north atlantic zone is, I much prefer more open waterways.

I feel like I cheated at the last legendary ship battle, the Storm Fortress; I got stuck against the ship's bow, and did my burning oil and killed it quick, so had nearly full health and mortars for the rest of the event.

It was a nice story touch how they tied it into AC Unity at the end, and reminded me how much they hosed up Unity's story. I punched the pope once, let's get back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Looks like Amazon is having a sale on digital versions of Assassin's Creed games. Black Flag is $16 (Steam or Uplay key, you choose), Rogue is down to $12.50 again (Uplay only). I had bought Rouge the last time it was on sale this low, and thankfully had no problems with the Uplay version, but if you buy any of them remember to turn cloud saving off on Uplay, seemed to be a problem for many.

• Locked thread