Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ARNO I SAID EXIT COVER YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER, GET OFF THE WALL JESUS CHRIST THEY'RE STABBING YOU ALREADY

Al Harrington posted:

Unity hasn't explained who these clowns are all in red that constantly have a beef with me, I get that the all in blue guys are guards but who are these bastards? at least the war hammer is making short work of them and I'm not even an assassin yet

I distinctly remember seeing a popup tutorial try to explain it, somewhere in sequence 2 or 3, but I still have no idea.

Green = good guys
Blue = bad guys
Red = really bad guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I think I've missed something important here, Arno just mentioned seeing someone's memories. Like, the flashbacks you get when you assassinate someone, he literally reads their mind and sees the flashbacks? How the hell is he doing that?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

I'm still convinced that Connor could be a good character if you take the fact that everything he wanted--his people safe and happy, America a land of equality, his father reconciled with him with kidneys intact--turned to ash, and then go from there.

Yeah he's like the Watch Dogs guy, the real potential for development comes after the game ends and the character goes "oh gently caress, I'm the worst".

Edit: say what you like about Connor though, he could pet a dog like nobody's business. Non-interactive animals are Unity's biggest backward step IMO.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 16, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Apparently in Unity you can only retry an assassination once? Or maybe it's another bug. I got hosed out of an optional objective, reloaded checkpoint, same thing happened again but now the only mission-related option (it's cool that they're at the bottom of the menu by the way, underneath all the multiplayer/companion poo poo) is Quit.

Al Harrington posted:

I still don't understand the blue chests with the app, the first one I unlocked I was able to open in the actual game, subsequent chests it's forcing me to sit a guy on it with the app for 24 goddamn hours, no way to cancel that out and just go pick it up in the actual game? wtf

First make sure it's synced up, close the app and load it again. Then make sure you've got the right chest, filter icons on the app map by "companion icons" and it'll only show you blue chests that have been unlocked. If you long-press the chest it'll set a waypoint in the in-game map. You can remove the waypoint with another long-press, or hovering over it in the in-game map and pressing the square button (or whatever is the murder button on your platform of choice).

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I remember playing one of the early Haytham missions in AC3, already knowing the twist, and thinking it was so cheap that your allies showed up as Assassin logos on the minimap.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'm nearly at the end of Unity but I have no idea how to proceed in 12-1 because the tent I want to use to start my approach is loving invisible to the AI and they all spot me through it.

Edit: oh I get it, this is the "did you buy Disguise yet" mission.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I actually really liked the story in Unity overall. One of my favourites in the series for sure. It does have its weak moments ("Guys I've unravelled this whole Templar plot to gently caress everything up, it'll take 30 seconds to explain" "Lalala I can't hear you, you've been kicked out"), but the missions and setpieces mostly flow from one to the next in a logical way, instead of just meandering around for the first two thirds and then breathlessly time-skipping to the end, like all the other AC stories seem to do.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

This is the AC game I want to play next:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Snuffman posted:

They seem to have opened up a bunch of stuff on the Initiates site (in addition to breaking it). Some sort of "Style" tracker with game "accomplishments" (assume actions generating assassin points?) being tracked to say what kind of assassin you are? Kind of neat.

This was working for a day or so, it said I was an "infiltrator" and backed it up with a bunch of stats on sneaking, free running etc. I checked again the next day and the graph was completely inverted, and now it can't decide if I'm a handler, a tormentor, an [object Object] or a %1$s. Which is fine too, I guess.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Leo Showers posted:

Ok, so those two years of development don't count because it was spent on research, something which could be considered a pretty core part of developing a game.

I think the original point was that length of development time doesn't say anything about the actual resources put into it, so it's not paradoxical to say a game might have been rushed despite being developed over so many years.

Like, the project could have been running for 3 years as just a couple of spare guys and a $0 budget. Then in the last year the full Ubisoft workforce joins in and cranks the whole thing out to deadline.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Here's my Unity glitch video to throw on the pile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hny4VEK6o

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Kin posted:

Ah, i just noticed that the upgrades are yet another currency.

Talk about bullshit.

edit: Oh yeah, i placed a marker in the game via the companion app (pointing to an unlocked chest), but even though i collected the chest and removed the market from the app, the marker is still there on my screen in the main game. Is that pretty much there for good now or is there just some kind of delayed synch?

You can remove it in-game from the map screen, it says "remove helix bookmark" when you hover over it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Kin posted:

Did the initiates stuff just get fixed? A patch got rolled out for synch stuff on the mobile app and i noticed that my initiates level suddenly shot up to 8 because it finally picked up that i've finished all of the other games except 4.

Seems like it just comes and goes at random. My profile was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but now it's completely empty, no numbers anywhere and all the feeds are blank.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is there somewhere where I can read a decent synopsis of the Unity/Season Pass debacle?

Unity was panned for all its issues with bugs, performance, Uplay, etc.
As an apology, Ubisoft is giving away the Dead Kings DLC for free.
The side-scrolling spin-off game, China, won't be free.
The season pass is no longer for sale - it would have entitled you to Dead Kings and China (and maybe some pre-order trinkets)
If you already bought the season pass you still get all the DLC, plus another Ubisoft game from the list:

Far Cry 4
The Crew
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Just Dance 2015

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

kinmik posted:

Shay's slightly disapproving thousand yard stare makes this for me.

I spotted a guy floating around like this in Unity. When I went in to have a look he suddenly flipped up onto his feet, and that's when I realised I'd just walked into a crowd of bad guys. The game has become self-aware and is using glitches as bait to ambush players.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Drop everything, ignore the main quest, go do Dead Kings, get all the Napoleon hats, wear an actual 18th century outfit. Seriously, it's amazing how Arno is disguised as the only man in Paris wearing a hood. They're not hard to get. Should take a few hours, but only because you need to do a few quests from Dead Kings to get them all. There's like 12. Go do it. Wear the hat. Be the first Assassin's Creed character to wear a goddamn hat. A nice loving hat. A respectable hat. A hat ladies will look at and think "That's a nice hat, I should probably sleep with whatever guy is underneath that hat." Because you deserve it.

You mean the fourth (and fourth best) :colbert:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Orv posted:

The only two things I want them to retain from Unity are the climbing, the oh so good climbing, and the coop. That's all that I really want for whenever they sort out that engine.

I'm torn on the climbing. It's great for basically free-running across the city, but navigating around windows, tight spaces, ladders, ropes, etc. seems far worse than ever before. Trying to solo that co-op mission with all the snipers was a loving nightmare.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The car bit was just a jokey handwave for why the fictional games company only makes Assassin's Creed games. When real-life Ubisoft wants to make games in a modern setting, they're not Assassin's Creed games.

Edit: I mean, these days they basically are, but they don't use the same framing story

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 7, 2015

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Watch_Dogs is supposedly set in the modern day setting of Assassin's Creed. You even kill a character from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag during Watch_Dogs.

Yeah they cross over but what I mean is you're not doing the game-within-a-game thing because Abstergo only "makes" (ie. "is the framing story for") Assassin's Creed games.

Although... you could make a case for Far Cry 3 being an Abstergo game, with all the guide books(? or whatever they are) lying around the office in Rogue.

TheScott2K posted:

Turn the crowds down and get the god drat frame rate up to at least 30...

...is what they won't do because they're morons. I made it through Unity but god drat it was a slideshow and those massive numbers of NPCs were worth it maybe once, and even then it was just visually. Has anyone mentioned that Ubi's staking their entire holiday on this one game?

They're not total morons, turning down the crowds was the first thing they tried and it made no difference. Whatever they did to make the streets so busy is one of the things that actually works like it's supposed to.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 8, 2015

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Rogue is alright but I didn't like the stalker stuff or the grenades (ie. everything new they added except the rifle, which is really just the blow pipe). There's too much warping around as well, since the map's so big they had to chop it all up. I rarely had any sense of where I was.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Palpek posted:

Every time something like that gets posted people can suddenly understand where the devs are coming from as if putting years of work into an entertainment product that can end up being bad is a new thing you should consider and it should really make you think man.

As if exactly the same pattern didn't exist for hundreds of years with books and for decades with cinema. Newsflash, these people work on something that is supposed to entertain, if it fails to entertain then cry me a river, it fails at the basic reason for its existance. I say it as somebody who actually works in a creative industry and has to handle outside criticizm every single day. It's part of the job, it's one of its basic principles and there's no reason to feel sorry for those people or relate with their poor poor souls.

As a professional to me it sounds like baby's first blow to ego after years of living in some corporate bubble being told that everything is awesome, we're the best in the world woohoo. Well, it isn't and you aren't and customer feedback is actually a very valuable resource in an industry where, you know, customers are everything that matters and not a reason to whine how bad you have it.

Yes but you're not a very nice person are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I dunno. You can rightfully throw a lot of accusations at Ubisoft, but the one thing they've always done is listen and change systems based off player feedback. When everyone said the best thing they could do after Far Cry 3 was make more Far Cry 3, they did just that. When people said Conner was trash/AC3 was bad, they completely changed the formula, and got rid of the things people didn't like the most. When people said they didn't like how Conviction played, they went back to the drawing board and went out of their way to make stealth/"old" Splinter Cell gameplay modern and fun again for Blacklist.

They had a brief moment of clarity around 2012 but then Far Cry 4 was lame, Blacklist got buried under GTA5, and they immediately re-reinvented AC to be worse than before.

• Locked thread