Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theblackw0lf posted:

I think Obama's decision to postpone executive action on immigration reform horribly backfired.

I think Obama's decision to not forcibly share his 2008 economic populism mojo with his party backfired too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

theblackw0lf posted:

I think Obama's decision to postpone executive action on immigration reform horribly backfired.

I think part of it was the democratic party's run on gun control legislation 2013-2014. That really fired up the GOP base and was just utterly stupid by all democrats involved.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

I think part of it was the democratic party's run on gun control legislation 2013-2014. That really fired up the GOP base and was just utterly stupid by all democrats involved.

Except for Malloy, Cuomo, and (apparently) Hickenlooper, that is.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mitt Romney posted:

The biggest winner tonight was obviously mass murder

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm pretty excited that my congresswoman is on track to being some sort of anime superheroine:

You voted for her too? :hfive:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Really the Democrats' failure to recognize that Obama's half-assed vague language towards economic populism in 2008 and 2012 delivered him landslide victories and could suggest it might be a winning issue was pretty dumb imo.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Except for Malloy, Cuomo, and (apparently) Hickenlooper, that is.

well, it did somehow seem to cost Hickenlooper his Senator

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Really the Democrats' failure to recognize that Obama's half-assed vague language towards economic populism in 2008 and 2012 delivered him landslide victories and could suggest it might be a winning issue was pretty dumb imo.

Well the truth is actually somewhere in the middle. Lemme tell you about something we like to call the Third Way...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Aurubin posted:

Well the truth is actually somewhere in the middle. Lemme tell you about something we like to call the Third Way...

This is why Hillary stands 50/50 odds of losing in 2016 when put up against Christie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar posted:

well, it did somehow seem to cost Hickenlooper his Senator

I'd be the last one to accuse gunbunnies of shooting straight, so sure, I guess you can mount that head on your wall.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm pretty excited that my congresswoman is on track to being some sort of anime superheroine:

sinema huh

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ben Casselman, 538's Economics Writer posted:

So voters want a higher minimum wage, legal pot, abortion access and GOP representation. Ok then.

https://twitter.com/bencasselman/status/529848264204767232

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ninjasaurus posted:

You voted for her too? :hfive:

I was an election observer today and apparently I missed out on all the excitement in Tempe.
I heard that some clever nerd had set up a computer at a polling station where college students could print out bills to prove their residence.

I guess the police got involved but I think it's a fantastic idea. I'm going to start looking to see how inexpensive a setup I can come up with to see if I can find a way to put that at every polling station in the city.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Straight {R} ticket won in Georgia today AND all three dumbshit amendments won. One of which was a cap on state income tax.

gently caress this state.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

When the Democrats' national message as a party becomes completely incoherent/non-existent? This actually adds up.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shear Modulus posted:

This is true, but the "New Democrat" types still control a lot of the purse strings and decision making in the party and various affiliated groups. Which means that any candidate who leans hard into populist economic rhetoric is going to find a lot of doors closed to them.

All of the minimum wage ballot initiatives passed, you'd think that Democrats would yoke themselves to that and other similar pushes. But I think the Obama/Clinton/Booker/etc. wing of the party sees that as pandering to the mob and finds it personally distasteful, as well as a threat to their vision for the party, and they're running things for the foreseeable future.

Shear Modulus posted:

Gun control is going to be a losing issue for the Dems for at least a generation in a parallel vein to gay marriage being a losing issue for Republicans for the forseeable future. Any Democrat who so much as mentions guns when economics are a bona fide winning issue is a grade-A moron.

Yeah, this is just basically wishful thinking/delusion on the part of bugfuck crazy gun nuts. The one exception is in small ultra-low turnout elections where the crazies stockpiling guns for RAHOWA will make up a significant part of the 15% of the electorate that votes.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

At least in Kentucky it seems like the only thing the Grimes campaign didn't do was air a commercial with her literally shooting herself in the foot repeatedly with a shotgun.

Quite a few of the elections also suffered from poor Democratic candidates as well as the aforementioned party issues.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks likely to be a Dem pickup in NE-02, where earlier in the campaign the incumbent 8-term congressman got masterfully trolled by a mentally ill serial killer who he'd used as a Willie Horton-style bludgeon against the challenger who is currently ahead by 3k votes with all but some absentee ballots outstanding.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
CO gov margin is now 0.0%

edit: hick now up by 600 votes :D

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 5, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks like Keith Ellison, the only black Muslim to have ever been elected to the US House, keeps his seat.

e: Jared Polis, congress' first gay dad, also got re-elected. And Mark Takano, the first gay, non-white congressman.

I guess we can all have a little clap for the GOP managing to elect two black people and several women, though.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 5, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
with 100% reporting, landrieu actually got a plurality of votes. good sign for run offs, maybe

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jagchosis posted:

with 100% reporting, landrieu actually got a plurality of votes. good sign for run offs, maybe

I don't think so, she just barely got plurality and she's double digits behind the sum of the top two Republicans.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jagchosis posted:

All the reporting I've seen is decidedly down on Landrieu in a runoff, since it will just amplify Democrats' turnout problems.

On another subject, what does this mean for immigration reform? Obviously it's dead in Congress(although DC hairpieces will continue to pontificate for the possibility of bipartisan reform if the prez would just "lead") but will Obama pussy out again? I'd hope not, but it's not like he wasn't willing to commit a huge unforced error on it before. It's like the White House is scared shitless of the possible downsides, and ends up freezing and doing nothing which damages them more than action would have.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Another mid term election and the dems trip over themselves losing again color me surprised.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Okay, so, people who understand the political process better than me; How much can the republicans gently caress us with what they have now? Is it just going to be more of the same gridlock as long as Obama's in office, or do they have the power to actually do some damage?

Greataval posted:

Another mid term election and the dems trip over themselves losing again color me surprised.

I know, right? I feel like it's 2010 all over again. :suicide:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lycus posted:

I don't think so, she just barely got plurality and she's double digits behind the sum of the top two Republicans.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2002/pages/states/LA/

it's not super different from how she did in initial voting in 2002. i think that this election is probably unpredictable and also louisiana's electoral system is dogshit.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

Okay, so, people who understand the political process better than me; How much can the republicans gently caress us with what they have now? Is it just going to be more of the same gridlock as long as Obama's in office, or do they have the power to actually do some damage?

I know, right? I feel like it's 2010 all over again. :suicide:

Now they get to pass laws and when Obama vetoes them they can say "look Obama is obstructionist!"

Course, those laws will be, in order of importance:

1. Repealing Obamacare
2. Repealing Obamacare
3. Repealing Obamacare
4. Repealing Obamacare
5. Defunding Obamacare
6. Repealing Obamacare
7. Establishing a permanent standing committee to investigate Benghazi

Actually, just kidding, the Dems will filibuster things and still get blamed for obstructionism.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
mia love has been elected to the house of representatives

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

JosefStalinator posted:

Now they get to pass laws and when Obama vetoes them they can say "look Obama is obstructionist!"

Course, those laws will be, in order of importance:

1. Repealing Obamacare
2. Repealing Obamacare
3. Repealing Obamacare
4. Repealing Obamacare
5. Defunding Obamacare
6. Repealing Obamacare
7. Establishing a permanent standing committee to investigate Benghazi

Actually, just kidding, the Dems will filibuster things and still get blamed for obstructionism.

So it's more of the same stupid bullshit. Great!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mirthless posted:

So it's more of the same stupid bullshit. Great!

they took a couple of state governments though and got reelected in states they've already ruined, so expect those to get worse!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jagchosis posted:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2002/pages/states/LA/

it's not super different from how she did in initial voting in 2002. i think that this election is probably unpredictable and also louisiana's electoral system is dogshit.

I just disagree that it isn't super different when her run-off challenger gets 41% of vote to her 2002 challenger's 27%.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lycus posted:

I just disagree that it isn't super different when her run-off challenger gets 41% of vote to her 2002 challenger's 27%.

that just suggests an opposition that is more unified around a single candidate. republican candidates still pulled 51% in the first round of voting against her in 2002. Plus the 2014 run off will be shortly after whatever idiot government shutdown poo poo the GOP does with their newfound electoral confidence, which will prolly bolster her (certainly more than an unusually good year for republican candidates). I'm not trying to unskew polls here i'm just saying she might actually survive this debacle, as landrieus are wont to do.

in raises i actually care about : hick now has an 8k lead

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Amphion posted:

Roll Call Politics ‏@rollcallpols 5m5 minutes ago
Republican Rick Allen beats incumbent John Barrow in #GA12, a race we rated Leans Dem http://roll.cl/hmNcpr #alert

poo poo, my former Congressional boss is out. :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Axetrain posted:

Democrats don't run on populist economic issues because they first and foremost are a party for the wealthy aristocracy. Hope that helps!

This is why people end up accusing Democrats as being functionally the same as Republicans, by the way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

@OWHNews (Omaha World-Herald) posted:

Last #NE02 update tonight:

Ashford: 48.64% (76,354)
Terry: 46.01% (72,222)

~15,000 left. Next release: Likely Friday.

Unless that son of a bitch can pull a rabbit out of his fat rear end and win like 60% of those remaining ballots, 6-term incumbent Republican Lee Terry is going down. An earlier batch of absentee/early voter ballots were validated at 3:30 and only increased Ashford's lead. :byewhore: I'm sure transcanada will love you on their GR staff.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What's fun is the top thing at Reddit right now is OREGON MAKES WEED LEGAL! My generation...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Maybe California should've went ahead and did weed this year instead of waiting til 2016.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Aurubin posted:

What's fun is the top thing at Reddit right now is OREGON MAKES WEED LEGAL! My generation...

Reddit shouldn't be used as a metric to judge... anything really.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Looks like Keith Ellison, the only black Muslim to have ever been elected to the US House, keeps his seat.

Andre Carson will be surprised to learn he's either not black, not Muslim, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Reddit shouldn't be used as a metric to judge... anything really.

Well, as dear to my heart as the D&D peanut gallery is, it's probably more representative, of at least a certain subset of white males, than this place

• Locked thread