Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
You know, that city with the things and the big thing and what not.

My girlfriend bought us tickets for my birthday to go see a David Mitchell reader event.
We'll be there from the 12th till the 15th of November.
I'm looking for other fun stuff to do in the city during that time.
The last couple of times I was in London we usually hung out in bars and restaurants with friends, went to an alternative comic book festival,
visited some museums and art exhibitions (have been to tate a bit too much), parks, record stores, the BBC, etc...
So we're looking for similar stuff. Great restaurants that are somewhat different, exhibitions, bars...
I used to like clubbing, but I gotten too old for it I think.
Plus, it seems every nice club in London is packed to the roof and when you finally get in it's full of horrible tourists like myself and/or English girl who REALLY shouldn't drink/swear/fight that much.
But if you know any great parties with alternative techno/house/jungle/IDM I definitely would like to know.
Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden is one of my favorite restaurants, if you want something romantic and are willing to spend a little (~£40 pp for main plate and appetizer, not including alcohol). If you do go there, make sure you book a table in their inner "courtyard" (it's enclosed). It's way nicer than the upstairs or front section. Food is excellent there and it has a nice romantic couples atmosphere.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If you want a good way to view the city from above on the cheap go to the Sushisamba bar in the heron tower. Its 40 floors up and is free to get into. Drinks are pretty pricey, at £7 a beer and £12-16 for a cocktail but that's what you get for it being free to enter. At the entrance just tell them you are going to the bar, you need nice clothing, shoes especially as they get picky about non dress shoes.

I think there could also be a goon meet of sorts on the 12/13th, maybe.

Time out is also pretty good for events/gigs etc.

quote:

Plus, it seems every nice club in London is packed to the roof and when you finally get in it's full of horrible tourists like myself and/or English girl who REALLY shouldn't drink/swear/fight that much.

Well yes of course?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Saros posted:

If you want a good way to view the city from above on the cheap go to the Sushisamba bar in the heron tower. Its 40 floors up and is free to get into. Drinks are pretty pricey, at £7 a beer and £12-16 for a cocktail but that's what you get for it being free to enter. At the entrance just tell them you are going to the bar, you need nice clothing, shoes especially as they get picky about non dress shoes.

I think there could also be a goon meet of sorts on the 12/13th, maybe.

Time out is also pretty good for events/gigs etc.

Well yes of course?

Heh, a goon meet would be funny. I'm going to see david mitchell that day. But maybe afterwards, depending on how late you guys will meet up.
We're also going to a weird Korean restaurant/barbershop. Seems like fun and I really need a haircut.
I'm looking for events now on time out.
Thanks.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Read the London food thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447751
What kind of clubs are/were you into? The good places are east or south-east, never central. There are genuinely good places that don't attract teenagers and are completely unpretentious. What dates are you going to be here?

• Locked thread