Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I got an NES a few weeks ago for $15. It didn't come with any cables or anything, so I went out and bought those, since it's still less than buying everything on ebay. I finally put a game in and it doesn't loving work. I took the system apart, since I thought maybe the 72-pin connector needed cleaning, but it turns out the motherboard had somehow loving melted. Also there was a colony of dead spiders inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

other than the pin connector, consoles without fans or optical drives will live forever if also surge protected (which may have been what happened here, surge goes boom). also, not letting spiders shack up inside it helps

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
What is the weirdest thing you've found inside a console or cartridge while cleaning it? I had a copy of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers that had a bunch of dead spiders in it. It also looked, felt, and smell like it had been dipped in motor oil.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

crazkylo posted:

What is the weirdest thing you've found inside a console or cartridge while cleaning it? I had a copy of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers that had a bunch of dead spiders in it. It also looked, felt, and smell like it had been dipped in motor oil.

someone post the yospos secret santa dreamcast of mealworms pics

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

crazkylo posted:

How do people keep getting living things in their gaming equipment? I've only ever had to remove dust...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Remember the guy who lost a fingat? A true hero.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

People mutilating good consoles grow up to be Dr. Mengele.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

the only funny yospos thing,, but very funny

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Widestancer posted:

People mutilating good consoles grow up to be
Jack Thompson

Best to end them early

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
This is actually how Dreamcasts shipped to prevent damage to internal components.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I got an NES a few weeks ago for $15. It didn't come with any cables or anything, so I went out and bought those, since it's still less than buying everything on ebay. I finally put a game in and it doesn't loving work. I took the system apart, since I thought maybe the 72-pin connector needed cleaning, but it turns out the motherboard had somehow loving melted. Also there was a colony of dead spiders inside.

do u have pics of the melted board?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I can get pictures later. It's not as extreme as it sounds, though. It's just some of the pins on it are all blobby looking, and there's some dark marks here and there.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I can get pictures later. It's not as extreme as it sounds, though. It's just some of the pins on it are all blobby looking, and there's some dark marks here and there.

it sounds like something you should be able to scrub off with a toothbrush and 91% alcohol

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i've always wanted to mod my toploader NES b/c having RF out only blows

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i've always wanted to mod my toploader NES b/c having RF out only blows

then do it, its pretty simple and fun

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

zen death robot posted:

ForeverSmug was rejected from the 'pos? :wth:

I never posted in pos

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I once found a SNES that had playdough crammed into the slot. How do you remove hardened playdough?

MrCerebral
Nov 11, 2013
the sought after games have definitely gotten considerably pricier since a few years ago.

i was pleased after browsing ebay a bit recently to realize that my NES/SNES collection is probably worth like 2 or 3 thousand now. i might have to sell to pay my lawyer, or put a down payment on a house. Although i would be sad to do it.

MrCerebral fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 6, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
is there really a guy buying up tons of copies of old games? Why th efuck would someone do that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If you single handily increase the rarity of various games, thus increasing their price, you could then sell all those copies for more than you paid for.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

but apparently he has no intention of selling. it's diabolical autism

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's Lynch69 spending himself into debt and cackling madly as he dumps all the games into a smelter.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I will single handedly raise the price of Mario 3 to $100 I already have 5 copies, I'm well in my way

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

crazkylo posted:

I will single handedly raise the price of Mario 3 to $100 I already have 5 copies, I'm well in my way

congratulations on raising it to what it cost at launch in Canada, i guess

actually that's only sticker price, not accounting for inflation so welp

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
already got chrono trigger, ff3us, ff2us, ff5, lttp, smrpg, secret of mana, smw, star fox, yossy island.
i wanna get lufia 2 and uh.. i guess ill get kirby superstar and all the megamang games and i think my snes cart needs are met, so im not worried

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 6, 2014

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Widestancer posted:

People mutilating good consoles grow up to be Dr. Mengele.

over summer i took a heated screwdriver to my SNES and sloppily melted off the plastic nubs that prevent import carts from being plugged in.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
drat Chrono Trigger goes for $100 on ebay without the case. I should sell my copy. The battery in it is probably dead though.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Lamebot posted:

over summer i took a heated screwdriver to my SNES and sloppily melted off the plastic nubs that prevent import carts from being plugged in.

why wouldnt u just clip them off

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Better take benadryl until I kill my own nervous system

same

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I've been rebuying all the games I had as a child and it is going to be tough to pull the trigger on that copy of Back to the Future: The Game for NES :smithicide:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

DrPaper posted:

NES and SNES emulation has been perfected

over 15 years ago, too hth

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey you guys I bought all my childhood games

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

univbee posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

univbee posted:

looks gay

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
People are selling sealed versions of Lufia 2 for $790 and up: http://www.amazon.com/Lufia-II-Rise-Sinistrals-Super-Nintendo/dp/B000035Y76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415326205&sr=8-1&keywords=lufia+2

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Who gives a flying gently caress.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

zen death robot posted:

I thought it was just the boxes

Why would anyone throw out the boxes!!?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

If you single handily increase the rarity of various games, thus increasing their price, you could then sell all those copies for more than you paid for.

that wouldnt work anyuway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u could sell them one at a time over a period of a million years maybe.

• Locked thread