Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i started playing pe on my vita after like almost 15 years without touching it and the game is actually pretty good and has aged relatively well

i never played pe2 or third birthday, please tell me how and why they killed parasite eve, also just chat about pe if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Mitochondria are the "power plant" of the cell.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I've never played Parasite Eve but I've heard it's really good. In contrast, I've never heard a single good thing about Third Birthday.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
third birthday is a 3rd person anime action shooter starring eve in the future as a [above age] yo girl who has sex w army men or something?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
idk but in pe1 aya brea was a strong independent police officer with the mind of a child who did things like tell reporters that everyones cell power plants were gonna burst into flames

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

is pe2 the one where you go to an empty run down motel in the middle of a desert?
because that is one of the best settings in any horror survival game i have played

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

oops

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

PE 2 is really good OP not sure why you think it killed the franchise.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

I like to imagine this is responded to with "gently caress off".

Which is the appropriate reaction when anybody brings up Richard Dawkins.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Third Birthday is probably one of the worst games I've ever played and has a more misogynistic plot that Metroid Other M did.

Also they do the same thing FFXIII did and hide crucial plot details in a codex, but then because you're going back in time and changing the past the codex completely changes after every mission and is completely incomprehensible.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Widestancer posted:

PE 2 is really good OP not sure why you think it killed the franchise.

never played it merely asking for what killed it gonna play it when parasite eve is beaten because this franchise is super dead now

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

PE 2 was good even though fans are sometimes unhappy that it didn't play like the first one. The first one was like a JRPG where you could freely move during fights and positioning actually mattered and it had a really cool equipment system that let you turn a pistol into a poison-shooting shotgun. Also, Aya was a wizard, which is sweet as hell.
PE 2 was a horror shooter with tank controls (so positioning still mattered but good loving luck positioning yourself properly) and gear customization was limited to deciding what attachment your M4A1 had and sticking pouches on your armor. Being a wizard was largely unnecessary because you could crush everything with the M4A1, the SP12, and a grenade launcher.

1upclock posted:

I like to imagine this is responded to with "gently caress off".

Which is the appropriate reaction when anybody brings up Richard Dawkins.
Parasite Eve was made before Richard Dawkins had a Twitter account and we didn't know how hosed up he was.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Aya Brea is incredibly sexy and I would love to shoot some ropes on her

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I think that the owner of the IP revoked Squeenix's ability to use it; this is why the newer one has such a bizarre plot that looks like things got ripped out last minute. They had to work around a lot of stuff, IIRC. It was a book and a movie before it was ever a game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bought and played Third Birthday because I didn't see any of the stuff leading up to it.

I tried convincing myself for a while that it wasn't actually that bad in order to justify the money I spent on it. RIP.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Never really liked the game, but the battle theme is one of the best I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNDXw9og9mM

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Widestancer posted:

I think that the owner of the IP revoked Squeenix's ability to use it; this is why the newer one has such a bizarre plot that looks like things got ripped out last minute. They had to work around a lot of stuff, IIRC. It was a book and a movie before it was ever a game.

Nah, that's bullshit. Or rather, it's true that there's a book and a movie before there was a game and Square lost the direct rights to "Parasite Eve", but there's literally only one line of dialog in the first game that directly ties itself to the book and is completely inconsequential to the plot of the games. Like, sure, there's lightly shared themes (the biggest being Mitochondria and Eve) but it's not like the book ever gives the main characters science wizardry like the games do or even involve anything other than the one monster of Eve.

And even then The 3rd Birthday references Eve, and it's not like "Mitochondrial Eve" didn't exist before the book anyway so the easy explanation is that it's garbage because it was supposed to be a cell phone game before smart phones were a thing and Motomu Toriyama had a hand in the scenario writing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Nah, that's bullshit. Or rather, it's true that there's a book and a movie before there was a game and Square lost the direct rights to "Parasite Eve", but there's literally only one line of dialog in the first game that directly ties itself to the book and is completely inconsequential to the plot of the games. Like, sure, there's lightly shared themes (the biggest being Mitochondria and Eve) but it's not like the book ever gives the main characters science wizardry like the games do or even involve anything other than the one monster of Eve.

And even then The 3rd Birthday references Eve, and it's not like "Mitochondrial Eve" didn't exist before the book anyway so the easy explanation is that it's garbage because it was supposed to be a cell phone game before smart phones were a thing and Motomu Toriyama had a hand in the scenario writing.

Nah, that's bullshit, now here is where I say that they did lose the IP

It was garbage either way. You are correct in that. And it's sad because it was a good franchise.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Nah, that's bullshit, now here is where I say that they did lose the IP

I meant more in the sense that that had nothing to do with why that game was terrible.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Phantasium posted:

I meant more in the sense that that had nothing to do with why that game was terrible.

Oh, that makes sense.

That really made me sad because PE2 is a game I replayed a bunch; the different modes give it a LOT of replay value.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the first one was cool and the free roaming combat was really awesome. it has actually aged okay

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Very important question for people who replayed PE1: What did you name your gun and armor?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ArchWizard posted:

Very important question for people who replayed PE1: What did you name your gun and armor?
Steak and Potato

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Nayato posted:

Mitochondria are the "power plant" of the cell.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

PE2 is the only eve game i palyed and it ownz. i really liked that penultimate giant pink legless wonder boss fight. i never got around to the crazy replay modes, i should break out the ol discs and check it out if i ever stop playing doom

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
what was so bad about third birthday

I knew better then to buy a square enix game so I skipped over it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

you have awful opinions so i suggest you get it because you'll like it

PE1 and 2 are both really good games, third birthday is a shooter with incredibly wonky mechanics and a plot that proves square enix should have their writing-about-time-travel license revoked

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Oh no. Not the Parasite Eve Franchise. Anything but the parasite eve franchise, and all the good games in this franchise. Lmfao.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Doctor Goat posted:

you have awful opinions so i suggest you get it because you'll like it

PE1 and 2 are both really good games, third birthday is a shooter with incredibly wonky mechanics and a plot that proves square enix should have their writing-about-time-travel license revoked

thanks for being vauge

pe1 and 2 were really good, like most square enix games, so I knew i'd just get mad if I played the third one that was inevitably going to be bad because square enix made it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

darealkooky posted:

Imagine playing a dumbed down Gears of War with a lockon button where you can't die because you can snatch anyone's body on the map. Imagine that with the old SMT demon fusion system where you have to re-roll fusions like a billion times to get what you want. Imagine the plot contrivances in FFXIII where they leave it to the codex to explain what you need to know plotwise and that the codex changes everytime you look at it. Imagine a perverted Japanese business man molesting girls on a train. Imagine a literal character assassination worse than Metroid Other M. And you will still fall short as to how terrible Third Birthday is.

Like there's just this veneer of terrible on every plot point that they actually bother to explain with an end-game plot twist that just makes the entire thing even worse. Instead of Adam Malkovich dying at the end of Other M, pretend that the game ended with you playing as Adam killing Samus and that was the end of the series. That's what it is.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
mitochondria are re-purposed bacteria op

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
man squaresoft was on the top of the world back then. what happened? the spirits within?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

yo if you liked that scope out this fuckin 2 sick 2 nasty base music from pe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL7_sBRE0T4

darealkooky posted:

thanks for being vauge

pe1 and 2 were really good, like most square enix games, so I knew i'd just get mad if I played the third one that was inevitably going to be bad because square enix made it

actually it was made before they were "square-enix", at least pe 1 and i'm pretty sure pe2 are. its from a mystical time in which they were know as squaresoft, which is what my final fantasy lust was at the end of spirits within

Doctor Goat posted:

a plot that proves square enix should have their writing-about-time-travel license revoked

:agreed:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zelgadis posted:

man squaresoft was on the top of the world back then. what happened? the spirits within?
Yeah, basically.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Leadthumb posted:

is pe2 the one where you go to an empty run down motel in the middle of a desert?
because that is one of the best settings in any horror survival game i have played

That and the underground bunker where they had habitats set up for people whose greatest desire in life was to become hosed up mutants and roam free

PE2 is some choice rear end poo poo

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
I just picked PE2 up and started playing it again the other day. My mitochondria have been pretty excited about it. The first disk is a lot shorter than I remember, and the combat is pretty repetitive once you get into it, but it's still a fun game with an interesting pseudoscience-y plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

hubris.height posted:

yo if you liked that scope out this fuckin 2 sick 2 nasty base music from pe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL7_sBRE0T4

The whole soundtrack was good, it's one of the reasons I finished the game even though I didn't really like it.

• Locked thread