Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know what that means, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean you'd be paying extra for every transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

THF13 posted:

You might need to pay the total balance in this case.
Normally when you pay less than the statement balance you no longer get a grace period, purchases start earning interest as soon as you make them. To reset the grace period you need to pay off the full amount owed. Depending on the credit card company it might get restored as soon as you make the payment or the next time your statement is generated.

You still have a few months of 0% APR so I'm not sure how this affects you, I would call the support line on the back of your credit card and find out specifically if what if anything you need to do to make sure you have a grace period at the end of your 0% APR period.

It'll be stated in your terms & conditions somewhere (that you may have to request from the issuer) but I think you need to pay off the statement balance in two consecutive months to get back to the grace period? Obviously keeping your balance as low as possible until then is best, but if the card is 0% APR I really wouldn't worry about it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can I just say how annoying it is that Chase won't let me just pay a fixed amount X every month. I can only choose minimum payment or full balance.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nope I'm literally a dumb baby idiot that doesn't pay off the full balance. I just wish I could pay X every month (an amount higher than my minimum) rather than choosing "full balance" or "minimum" or "blueprint" (blueprint is awful).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It is a low interest card, I just... I want to pay a fixed amount!
E: I'm mostly here to just bitch, unless someone has an actual way I can schedule a fixed payment with Chase

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Chase just sent me a new Amazon Visa card with Chip & Sig.

Which reminds me, back to the eternal question, any new American Chip & Pin cards?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like there's no way to get the AAviator card unlesss you already have a US Airways card? Also, $85 annual fee.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The easiest way to show that someone is capable of making regular payments on a debt is to see them making regular payments on a debt.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think they've always had a store card as a separate product from the Chase Amazon card.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got a Ring with a $10k limit but then they very quickly dropped the limit to $5k, thankfully after I'd moved my $10k onto it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cacafuego posted:

Did they give rationale for the drop?

Not that I can find, but it happened basically right away. Looking at my first statement I was already $5k overlimit. I wonder if I hit some kind of threshold with available credit/number of lines or something, as according to my Discover card I had around a ~50 point drop in my credit score around then.

Also I am bad with money beep boop.

They don't charge an over limit fee so it doesn't affect me at all.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

hbf posted:

I'm looking for a card that preferably has: no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, and has a chip/will be accepted around Europe. Based on the OP it looks like the BoA Travel Rewards meets the requirements, but was wondering if there is anything else that is decent?

Most everything we can get in American right now is Chip & Sig (though I guess WF has some Chip & Pin cards?). Anyway "the internet" says that you'll have problems with a Chip & Sig card in Europe, especially at unmanned terminals like in train stations.

However there's a goon in the Europe travel megathread that says he's had no problems with his Chip & Sig cards in Europe. The last 2 or 3 pages of that thread have been about paying for things in Europe. It can get confusing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man I hope this Chip stuff settles down by Summer 2016 when I actually go to Europe.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Cash is not "free" for the merchant to process. It has to be counted, taking up staff time. Human error and theft can cause cash to "shrink." Cash has to be physically delivered to a bank somehow, either by paying a service to pick it up, or paying employees to leave the premises and deposit the cash (and that invites danger on these employees, they make good targets for theft). People also, I think, tend to spend more on credit cards.

So basically I'm tired of this "hurf durf cash is free you're paying for credit with higher costs" bullshit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have the BoA card, redemption is really easy. It has to be against "travel" expenses, for me that's included hotels, airplane tickets, and a transit pass I ordered from my local agency. You can continue to redeem against a purchase until you've completely refunded it. So the example earlier with the $400 expense and having 30k points don't apply here. I think I chipped away at a single airline ticket $5 or $10 dollars at a time for a full year or something like that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Massasoit posted:

Did not realize discover has chip cards note - I'll have to call them up and have them send a new one. Any idea on usability in Quebec fit discover?

Granted I was in Vancouver, on the other side of the country, but when I was there I asked if they took Discover and the guy didn't even know what it was. And I never saw a "Discover" logo anywhere else. So Discover doesn't have much, if any, presence in Canada.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There was a big dustup here in Minnesota when Delta bought Northwest and people converted whatever the Norhtwest rewards card was to the Delta Amex, and all these local businesses had to scramble to start accepting Amex or lose business from people that REALLY LOVE AIRLINE MILES I guess.

Anyway it's funny that Amex does all the marketing to get people to support local small business, but they're more expensive than other cards to the merchant so the small holes in the wall won't accept them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I onced booked a cross country sleeper car on Amtrak, and they offered me a whole pile of Amtrak Rewards points if I signed up for and paid with the Amtrak Rewards Visa Card (points I could use to pay for future legs of the trip). A few days later I got a fraud check to make sure I had made a purchase of $2500 in the category of railroads and transportation. Like, of course! That's why I have the card!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In the Twin Cities area, when Delta (with an Amex rewards card) bought hometown airline Northwest (not-Amex rewards card) a bunch of new merchants started accepting Amex because there were enough people with airline cards for it to make a difference.

Just a fun little anecdote about Amex acceptance.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got two Citicards, a Dividend I've had since 2005, and a Thank You Preferred I've had since 2014. Citi has sent me emails about converting them both to Double Cash. I assume there's no downside here, right? 2% effectively is better than the 1% I'm getting on the Dividend and the whatever on the Thank You (I don't bother with airline miles so Thank You points aren't very valuable for me).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like it's on "thousands" of Prime Day items, not all of them. And it's 15% on top of the regular 5% for a total of 20%, not a total of 25%.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kazr posted:

Get ready for every single person to comment on it

I've had my metal Amazon card for a couple months and literally nobody has said anything about it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a recard and have it set to autopay the full statement balance every month and I don't pay any fees or anything so not sure what halokiller is talking about.

The redcard is a chip only card with no magstripe, which they gave me in 2014-ish I think, and it's already "worn out" and doesn't read well in the readers at the self checkout (the ones at manned registers are apparently more sensitive, but it still takes a couple of inserts for the card to read. I just ordered a new one so it's not a big deal, not sure if it's an issue with early chip technology, how Target did chips in cards, or chip tech in general, but no way that card was going to last me until it expired in 2023.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The Amazon card gives 2% back at drugstores.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You would have nearly 2 months before you would need to pay the bill, about a month before you receive your first bill, and then a bit less than a month before that first bill is due. You'll be fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have the Blue Cash Everyday Amex that I use just for groceries, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Preferred. Is there an easy way to figure out how much I spent on groceries in the past year or how much I got in rewards, to easily figure out if I come out ahead after paying the $95 Annual fee? I poked around my AMEX account and couldn't find anything, but I do have it in Mint if that helps.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that was easy, I spent over $5k on groceries in 2018, and the $250 for $2000 spend promo is active now, all I had to do was click a couple buttons and a new card is on its way. Thanks, I'd missed the "see previous version" to see the "old" interface that could easily track spending categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that'll make it even easier to hit and exceed the breakeven point for me, along with it becoming my gas card as well.