Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rurutia posted:

Why's having 11 accounts too many? I've never gotten dinged for the # of accounts. I churn credit cards (and some of them are shared CC's with my husband).

Churning cards within a certain time may be contributing to the drop, and having a large amount of available credit to income can look bad. If the drop in credit score isn't obstructing getting new cards to churn I wouldn't worry. Yielding the benefits is more important than credit score in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

It is a low interest card, I just... I want to pay a fixed amount!
E: I'm mostly here to just bitch, unless someone has an actual way I can schedule a fixed payment with Chase

I suspect the only way is to get a different low interest card. AMEX take online payments (so you could set up a specific automatic payment) but I don't know how the low interest cards compare.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Closest thing I do is switched from autopay on my cellphone, to picking up the reload packs at the gas station. 1% vs 5% cash back for me.

I went through thepointsguy beginner's guide when I looked at this last year. I don't do manufactured spending but I have gone through to maximise the points I get for spending.

I've got an Aus/NZ amex which gives me the most points for supermarket spending. Buying gift cards that I'm spending on anyway seems to be the best way to get some benefits. Ideally getting a prepaid credit card would give a good pay back on general spending so long as you don't lose the remaining balance and the card can be reloaded. Also collecting air miles/points on transactions and shopping online with air miles/points malls.

I've dramatically increased the value of points collected for the same spending. Worthwhile provided you meet the disclaimer above and pay the card off every month.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

There was a big dustup here in Minnesota when Delta bought Northwest and people converted whatever the Norhtwest rewards card was to the Delta Amex, and all these local businesses had to scramble to start accepting Amex or lose business from people that REALLY LOVE AIRLINE MILES I guess.

Anyway it's funny that Amex does all the marketing to get people to support local small business, but they're more expensive than other cards to the merchant so the small holes in the wall won't accept them.

Don't underestimate how big the air miles following is. Whichever deal is the best will have a lot of people spending on the cards.

My experience with Amex in NZ and Australia is that it is accepted in a lot of major places but you still need a visa/mastercard as backup. As I have an Amex Platinum Edge card I get bonus points in supermarkets and petrol stations. Given that NZ is mostly a cashless society I'd always carry 3 cards with a debit card for personal, business and a visa. Adding a fourth card was not a big deal when I got the Amex last year. I don't find it difficult to use.

I have taken thepointsguy approach to clocking up as many points or air miles as possible on my existing spending.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Also the credit score is unimportant unless you are applying for a loan or credit card at the time. That 0% is there for you to utilise.

One of the student loan documentaries I watched there was a graduate transfering debt from one 0% credit card to another while paying down an enormous amount of debt. She didn't seem to have any problem getting new cards as she was making payments despite the massive administrative task involved.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Same offer in Australia but with the $1200 annual fee. Only 80k points in NZ which is their standard offer for $1250. NZ MR points aren't as good as Australia. The fees are murder here.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

Amex platinum is $1200 in Australia? I assume Australian dollars, but that's a lot of money for a credit card. Do you get different benefits?

It is expensive but there are different offers. Basically you pay for all of the benefits you get so you really need the spending for MR points or platinum benefits to justify getting the card. AMEX have better offers in Australia/NZ on their other platinum branded cards.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Brian Fellows posted:

I haven't posted in here for a long time, and this isn't quite within the scope of the thread, but I was hoping someone here maybe had some experience that could help me.

I went to turn on my PS4 today and it seemed fine and the TV seemed fine, but the TV insisted there was no signal. I tried changing HDMI ports, same thing.

I brought out my monitor and the PS4 works fine. The TV actually works fine too as long as I'm using the components. Apparently my HDMI ports are somehow fried.

I bought the TV a year and a month ago, and the manufacturer's warranty lasted only 1 year. I did however specifically buy the TV with an Amex card due to its extended warranty feature.

Has anyone here made a warranty claim with a credit card company, especially Amex? And does this sound like a situation Amex's warranty would cover? It's been storming a lot here lately so I could see them saying it was damaged through that, but everything is surge protected and all of my other appliances/electronics are just fine.

I did a travel insurance claim through AMEX this year due to a flight delay. They will expect you to provide the exact statement and circle the purchase on the statement (that's what I did to confirm that travel was purchased on the card). Expect to go through a similar process.

Having a TV with broken HDMI ports due to manufacturing defect/lovely quality will probably meet their requirements. You can download the terms and conditions for your card in pdf from the AMEX website. When you make the claim they will most likely send the terms and conditions to you anyway.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Visa and Mastercard are everywhere except places that don't accept credit cards anyway. Even in NZ/Australia a lot of places do take AMEX now just not smaller stores due to their fees. You only need two credit cards.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Found this in /r/churning http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1708084-37-rental-cars-2-days-185-000-miles.html

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The other short answer is that you have one shot at the points so don't miss out on them by screwing up. Especially with all the paperwork and loving around you have to do to get the card in the first place.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I know this won't be as exciting as the benefits you can get from US credit cards but it's been a year since I changed over my credit cards and started using thepointsguy advice for rewards. I've picked up $900 in rewards where in the past I would have gotten about $150 per year in benefits. Although part of that is an insurance claim for a delayed flight (can't complain about free travel insurance that I never had before). There are less tangible benefits where I got a call from the family where they wanted me to turn up to celebrate my birthday this year and I had the airpoints available for the return flight. Nice to do that and not pay anything for it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I know this is mostly US card discussion but I just spotted that the Air New Zealand Platinum Amex has a sign up offer of $800 in airpoints for $2000 spend over 3 months. The offer is so good I think I'll be signing up for it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Though I just shelled out a bunch of money this week for vet bills and a home inspection and neither of them took amex :negative:

I bought a bed and a recliner of course neither shop took amex. I have to live with the slightly lesser rewards on the visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
New Zealand always has the worst credit card deals. A reasonable AirNZ Amex Platinum offer turned up. What surprised me was that I applied for the card and 5 hours later I got a text saying I was approved. Even though I have an existing Amex card the speed of the turn around on that application surprised me (especially on a Saturday).