Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

FunOne posted:

Tangentially related, but is there any way to get an item added to the Citi Price rewind feature?

Or am I stuck doing my own search and completing the form?

Either wait for it to show up or you gotta fill the form out. Sometimes it's worth filling the form if you know it's a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Elysium posted:

I got my Sapphire Reserve, bought a $300 airline gift card, and was already credited the $300 travel credit, dated 12/4. I guess I won't really know if I'll get another one after January, I'll just cross my fingers.

You will, as far as the agreement states the credit is by calendar year.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The only card I've had interest issues for autopay is the Amazon card from Synchroncy because their automated system sucks. Every other company allows for balance due payment.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

pjhalifax posted:

Mine was automatically upgraded. You can check by looking at your payment methods on Amazon and drilling down on that card. Mine says "Rewards status: earns 5%" or something like that.

I'll probably ditch the Synchrony card, too.

The Synchrony card and company is pretty terrible from my experience anyway.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Synchrony hosed up my first auto pay somehow leading to fees and interest. Immediately closed my account with them, gently caress that noise.

The fact that they gave me a limit 1/10th as high as all my other cards suggests to me that they are targeting a lower income demographic and maybe exploiting them a bit with horseshit like that.

Basically this. They are the only bank I've ever had trouble with in terms of setting up a reliable autopay. I had to ask to waive interest charges twice because their system didn't work the way I expected, so I dropped them ASAP.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

smackfu posted:

Amazon sent me a fancy mailer extolling the benefits of their new improved Chase card (that I already had.) Seems a bit silly waste of money.

Marketing departments aren't competent a lot of times.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm a fan of Double Cash for most everything, and Reserve for restaurant and travel expenses. Handling more than two cards just clogs my wallet space.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

potatoducks posted:

Same except I also got a 5% amazon card just for amazon purchases. Don't need to carry it in the wallet.

I forgot I had that too! It's easier than juggling the Freedom reward, which I'm not sure occurs anymore for Amazon purchases.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash back card for people who don't travel a ton? Just looking for the best cash back card, not a huge fan of revolving categories

You might want to consider the Costco and/or Amazon cards if you find yourself buying more within those categories. Otherwise, the Fidelity card also offers a 2%.

I always have a no-foreign-transaction fee card handy also, whether for travel or overseas purchases.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Anyone know of any cards that don't give you rewards for paying federal taxes? I have the Reserve and DoubleCash and will likely pay with the Reserve for points.

(The fee is 1.98%, so it's a minor gain with points valued at 2.1c plus tax deduction for next year.)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

angryrobots posted:

Same, card is pretty cool. The Chase website kind of blows, though.

Also I have an irrational dislike of sites that require special characters in my username/password.

It used to be significantly worse, and still substantially better on all counts than Synchrony Bank websites.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'd be hesitant?

https://www.bbb.org/csal/business-reviews/prepaid-debit-credit-cards/insight-card-services-in-birmingham-al-90033399/reviews-and-complaints

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The reward is only as good as Chase's ability to identify restaurants. It's worked pretty well for me internationally.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Something Offal posted:

As with most AmEx cards, compared to the CSR I'm not seeing much value proposition here except for the first year bonuses. Seems there would be no reason to renew the card for a second year. You get 1x points for hotel stays... big fat meh for $250 / yr.

But really it's $30/year if you consider the credits? The return for restaurant and grocery spending is pretty impressive.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

CaptainJuan posted:

I just saw an ad on Mint for 3% cash back on all purchases with the Chase freedom unlimited. That can't be right... Right?

First $20k in the first year it looks like.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I followed thru and canceled my Chase cards due to the forced arbitration changes. I've moved over to Capital One Venture Card as my primary card since they don't use forced arbitration (for now).

2% on all purchases with TSA/Global Access refund and $500 signup bonus is pretty strong. The $95 annual fee waiver for the first year makes it worth keeping at least for a year.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Ixian posted:

Why not just opt out of it? I know it is a lovely thing they are doing, and they've made the opt out process more complicated than it should be on purpose, but here's the thing - it is still one of the best cards for travel, and pretty much every bank is lovely in their own way.

Also, Capitol One may not have forced arbitration now but you better believe they are looking to see what the fallout is for Chase before making their own decision. They are all one class-action away from saying "you know what, gently caress this" now that they can do it.

I think it makes a stronger statement to outright close the account, though they ultimately won't give a poo poo probably. It is one of the best travel cards out there, I agree with you there.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
It also happens to be approaching my annual renewal, so it's very convenient for me to start dying on this hill. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SiGmA_X posted:

I looked at my Amazon spend per quarter in 2018 so I could account for the Discover IT Q4 cash back.

$2.8k total spend, $936 in Q4.
- $37 extra cash back Q1-3 by having Prime.
- $56 if I didn't consider the Q4 amount from Discover.
- $140 if I stick my head in the sand and consider using a no rewards card against the Chase Amazon card!

In other words, Amazon Prime cost me:
- $82 last year
- $1.58 per week
- $1.25 per order

Last year's spend/order count was also a lot higher than both prior years and this year due to some projects that I was doing.

What does Amazon charge for 1-2 day delivery if you aren't a Prime member?

I dropped Amazon Prime out of my life several months ago to reduce my spending. When I've needed to order from Amazon, it's been very comparable in shipping times. It does help to be near a warehouse hub, it is all free shipping as far as I can tell.