Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've been using a USBank Cash+ card on Amazon for 5% cash back for a few years but they are finally killing the "bookstores" category so that won't be an option anymore. What cards should I look into for big cash back on Amazon purchases? I've already got a Chase Freedom, the Uber Visa, a Fidelity Visa, Amex Blue Cash Everyday, the aforementioned USBank Cash+, and some crappy Citi card they converted my Citi Forward (rip) into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

astral posted:

Prime gets you 5% on the Chase Amazon Visa or store credit card.

Other than that, the Discover It sometimes has Amazon for a 5% category (use a referral for a $50 signup bonus, or sometimes Amazon has an amazon-specific signup bonus).

e: Another great option would be to see if they'll let you change that Citi card into a Double Cash, which gives 2% back everywhere, an excellent price protection benefit, and a 24-month extended warranty.

Thanks. I see in the OP and from skimming the site though that the Amazon branded cards don't give the 5% cash back if you're piggybacking off someone else's prime subscription, which is what I'm doing. Without paying for the subscription it looks like it gives 3% cash back. Is there a better rate on another card? Maybe I've been spoiled since a ton of cards used to give 5% on "bookstores."

I am probably going to apply for the Discover It though because I looked at the 5% quarterly categories for the rest of the year and grocery stores, restaurants, and Amazon are all pretty good.

re your edit I might do that because the 2% Fidelity Visa's extended warranty and price drop protection aren't too remarkable.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

astral im sorry you had to learn you weren't a valued cardmember this way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hauki posted:

Alright this is a dumb and hopefully simple question.

Quick background, I’ve always paid for poo poo with cash, debit or personal check. I have a stable median salary, about $50k in cash & liquid assets and no credit score at all. I would like to be able to function normally in this era, so I’ve begun applying for credit card(s).

The issue is that I’ve applied for several cards now through a variety of places (including my bank of 15+ years) over time and been turned down for all sorts of reasons, including “insufficient income,” and “no credit history” after disclosing upfront that I had no credit score and asking exactly what I needed to do in order to be approved for a low limit card through said institutions.

Is my best/only course of action at this point applying for a secured card, such as the discovery card linked in the OP?

Did you try capital one? They gave me a "Journey" card with a $500 credit limit when I was a college student with no loan history.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In the past a few years ago when I had the Citi Forward I would do the student loan payment for 1 cent per point. It was a kind of involved process where you had to call them to redeem the points, and then they would mail you a check made out to a bank, and then you are supposed to write in the memo line your account info and then deposit it to the bank.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Update on this, my mortgage servicer won't accept this. They won't take partial payments. They'll take the first check they get, apply it to the payment,and then either send back the second, or assume it's a second additional principle only payment. Ugh. I've talked to several support people and no one seems to know what will happen, and they suggest against it. I'd much rather not get a mortgage payment tied up in phone support calls for weeks.

heres a trick I used a couple times: when I did this to redeem Citi points they would make the check out to any bank. I got them to send me a couple "student loan payment" checks made out to "Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC". Your mileage may vary because I last did this several years ago.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of the uber card does it just not work with Square chip readers (ie the credit card chip reading machines made by the company Square) for anyone else?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's going to be based on what the card processor categorizes the vendor as which is up to the discretion of Visa/Mastercard/American Express

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

drk posted:

I'm looking to apply for a Amex Blue Cash Preferred soon - currently I have 4 credit cards, 2 of which I have no use for. My total revolving credit limit exceeds my annual income, so I was looking to cancel 1 or 2 of the cards I have eventually anyways. Should I apply for the new card before or after cancelling one of the old ones?

I'm worried if I don't cancel one first I'd get rejected since I have such a high credit limit compared to my income. Credit score is good though, ~800.

I don't think they care about that. I have 8 credit cards with a total limit of like three times my grad student salary and American Express is constantly mailing me offers to sign up for a super deluxe card or take out an unsecured personal loan.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 3, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I want to sign up for the Discover It card. Anyone have a referral link?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I got the Discover It via Leon Trotsky 2012's referral link and they gave me a card with a $2000 limit?? :psyduck: this is maybe the first time that a credit card company gave me a credit line that's not like almost half of my annual income.

discover must be the only company still operating on the decades-outdated "dont lend more than the borrower can reasonably repay" logic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah I have like 10 credit cards and every one besides this Discover has a limit of at least 10k, some much more

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

apparently wells fargo has a new $0 annual fee card with a :siren::frogsiren::siren:$300:frogsiren::siren::frogsiren: signup bonus and pretty good bonus point categories with 3% on travel and ""popular streaming services""

the catch of course is that it requires you to also have a wells fargo checking account, savings account, investment account, HELOC, and two more checking accounts

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yes that was the joke i made in my original post

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The new-ish Wells Fargo amex also has 3% on gas stations with no annual fee.

Since the no annual fee Blue Cash amex does 3% on restaurants the fair comparison for breaking even with the annual fee version's grocery store shopping is going to be double that $31/week number because that's what you'd have to be spending to make up the annual fee over what you'd be getting with the free version (95 / .03 / 52). Doable if you're buying for a family.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat, I went to sign up for this today, only to see the offer appears to no longer be valid. Oh well, I guess I'll wait a bit to see if it comes back, or maybe sign up without it in a month or so. I'm not really interested in signing up for another card and product changing to this one because I'm only interested in cash back rewards. Though I guess if there's another card with a good cash back signup reward AND the ability to product change to the Double Cash, I could do that?

On another note, how long did it take people to get approved for the Uber Visa card? I applied for it Friday morning, and still have not heard anything. As someone with great credit, who usually gets approved within hours if not minutes whenever I sign up for a new card (which is not that frequently), this is very strange to me. They did say it could take up to 10 business days, I've just never had it actually take that long before.

the uber card is one of the only cards where they actually called me to ask some weird identity verification questions before they would give it to me

the other flat 2% cards are the fidelity visa which may or may not have a signup bonus and the alliant credit union card which has a fairly small bonus

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TOP SPENDING CATEGORIES:

1. GOODS
2. SERVICES

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the last guy who complained about the service on a united flight didn't fare too well

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hey guys just coming in here to complain about the uber card going to poo poo

I just finished putting my first ever official big-money $2000 work trip on it

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 8, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

People use the airline branded cards because they give you extra frequent flier points if you buy tickets on that airline with them, and for business travel where you get reimbursed the amount it is basically free points. If your company is buying the tickets and you don't get the big-ticket manufactured spending of plane tickets it may not be worth the hassle of getting frequent flier points with an airline card instead of cash from another card.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fidelity card gives you 1 cent per redeemed point but it also gives you 2 points per dollar spent

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Spend $2,500 to get 5,000 points. Redeem 5,000 points for $25.

for me it's always been that 100 points gives me $1

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

How am I supposed rep my yuppie cred and impress dates without a premium credit card???

cancel the card but keep it in your wallet then make like you're going to pay with it but go "oh wait, i forgot that this one has better rewards on this spending category this quarter" and pay with another one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah they stopped giving cash and changed to uber credit earlier this year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

For referrals, Freedom is no longer available and Freedom Unlimited is now merged with Freedom Flex with a new link. I updated my links on the referral spreadsheet, but most of the others are dead. Should maybe update or make a new tab for the Flex, or merge the tab with Unlimited since it'll be the same link. And I guess clear out the dead ones at some point.

Great news, I was just about to apply for the Flex since I just saw the grocery store offer this morning and you're the only one in the new sheet (besides me) so I'll use your link.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chase has a new card called "Freedom Flex" that has a signup bonus of 5% on groceries for the first year or like $10k spending whichever comes first

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's hard or impossible to get the money out of the dumb prepaid debit cards on purpose. The point is to make you use them like a debit card so that the visa or mastercard can collect processing fees. If they let you cash out the full balance they'd be taking that away from themselves.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

How does Chase work with getting the signup bonus a second time? Can I cancel my freedom unlimited (the 1.5% cash back one) and wait a year or two then apply for the card again and get the bonus again?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I just noticed that in the past month or so someone must have signed up for the Blue Cash American Express with my referral link from the spreadsheet. Thank you very much, fellow goon. Weird, they didn't send me an email about it and I only saw the referral bonus when I logged in to my account.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just bouncing this for the new page along with a question. I have to spend about $3000 in a couple months, and I can split it between two or three cards. What's a good combo of cards with initial bonuses that pay out in cash (I don't want a bunch of hotel points atm). Just some context, I have all the Chase cards already (so I can't churn then as well as Amex BCP).

I was thinking maybe signing up for the American Express Cash Magnet Card ($150 on $1000 spend) Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card ($200 on $500 spend). Any other suggestions?

Wells Fargo Propel has a $200 bonus for $1000 spent.

I have another question of my own. I opened the Capital One Savor (the version with 4% CB on restaurants and the annual fee) last March but I want to close it now because while the annual fee was waived the first year, paying it now obviously isn't worth it. Is there any way I can open the Savor One and get its sign up bonus and close the AF version, or is that impossible and I'd be better served asking them to downgrade me to the non-AF version? Never downgraded out of an AF tier before.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh hey Alliant sent out an email saying that they're reversing the decrease in value of their cashback points "in response to member feedback." I wonder if that feedback included everyone immediately stop using the card like how I switched back to the Fidelity 2%.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

This was so lovely because I never got the email that they had changed it, only the one about reverting the change. Luckily I was working on a CapOne business card bonus at the time, or I would have just screwed myself over for a whole quarter without ever realizing it (their 2% card is normally my go-to for flat rewards).

I use them as my main bank specifically because they're a credit union and known for being consumer-friendly, so this kind of behavior leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me concerned about whether I have to start watchdogging in them in the future. As a rule, I prefer that my central financial institutions be ones that don't aren't constantly trying to gently caress me over as a main prong of their business model (looking at you, BofA).

I also received no notice about it and I'm going to cash out my points immediately and still not use the card.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It'd make sense to be first billed for it at the end of the first year if they were waiving the first year's fee.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Capital One's thing is that they have no foreign transaction fees for any of their cards including the free ones

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

5% cash back on grocery stores, excellent, I'm in.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the chase freedom flex is giving 5% cash back on groceries for the first year you have it and the 5% quarterly bonus categories also include groceries for this quarter, and they apparently are stacking them

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

USBank Altitude does 4% cash back on restaurants for no annual fee. The Citi Custom Cash also has restaurants as one of its 5% categories

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

It looks like my year of 5% on groceries for my chase freedom unlimited is up so I am looking for another card preferably chase affiliated, since I have a Amazon card a bank account and a mortgage all ties to the same account, that has a good bump for grocieries since that and Uber eats and stuff is where a big chunk of my spending goes. I’ve heard chase sapphire is pretty good. Any thoughts?

The Citi Custom Cash gives 5% on groceries, up to $500 spend a month, if it's your highest spending category on their list of eligible categories. That's the only 5% on groceries with no annual fee I know of right now.

Another 3% on groceries card is the Amex Blue Cash which unlike the CSP has no annual fee, but the CSP signup bonuses Unsinkabear mentioned sound much better.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of extended warranties, I was looking into this recently and apparently Citi now has the best credit card extended warranty on paper (they offer 2 years while everyone else including Amex only offer 1 year), but I dunno how easy it is to actually get the money from a claim. Also they only offer it on some of their cards, which does not include the double cash. The BCP or some Chase cards might be the best extended warranty cards that also have other good rewards.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-cards-for-extended-warranty/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone here have any experience with how easy filling a claim and getting the money is for any of the non-Amex extended warranties?