Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

The Risk posted:

I guess Amex (Platinum) got rid of the ability to buy Amazon gift cards with the airline credit. Any other ways to spend the money other than getting drunk in the airplane? I normally fly business for work and other perks are free with my airline status. Any ideas? I heard you could do airline gift cards? I normally fly United...

I bought mine out with four $50 gift cards for Alaska Airlines. FlyerTalk has a thread for each major airline with people giving tips on how to buy the gift cards.

Since you fly United, you could just trade yours for four beat downs and call it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Is the Chase Sapphire Reserve still worth it with the 50k bonus? I do a lot of traveling and need a no foreign transaction Visa, but I do have a Delta Platinum AMEX that is my primary card right now for earning miles.

Depends on how you look at it. If you do the Chase trifecta theres ways to earn aggressively and redeem for higher percentages. I don't do this but know others in the thread chat about it.

That said, with the $300 travel credit, this card effectively has a fee of $150 instead of $550. You get Priority Pass Select membership which is handy but it sounds like you probably make use of the Delta lounges.

I got mine because of the bonus, we'll see if I keep it. I like the Capital One Ventures for a cheaper card with no transaction fee.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

ADolan posted:

Does anyone have the USAA Limitless credit card? Looking into getting my first credit card ( I'd like to really only have 1 card for simplicity) and this seems to be the best general card in terms of consistent cash back. I don't know how USAA is for banking services since I would be required to open a checking account in order to get the 2.5% cash back.

No comment specifically on the Limitless though a family member has it and they seem to like it?

Regarding only one card - I'd recommend having two. It's a huge pain in the rear end if you have a card that gets compromised (e.g. Target/Home Depot breach) and you can't use it in the mix. It's also annoying if a card gets a hold put on it while you're traveling.

I always travel with two credit cards - typically a Visa and an AmEx but that's my own weird quirk. Don't read into the card servicer choice.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

taiyoko posted:

Thanks, I'll look into those. I don't plan on using it a lot, but if I get into a "something is wrong with my car and it needs a professional" or "surprise long distance job interview, I need plane tickets and such asap" situation, I might have to carry a balance for a while, thus not wanting a godawful interest rate.

If you do any banking with a credit union, check if they have a credit card. They often have much better rates relative to major cards. For example, my wife has one with a 12% APR (versus ~20%+).

That said, don't carry a balance. I'm just trying to give you a less damaging option if it comes to that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

angryrobots posted:

I finally decided to apply for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa or whatever, and the auto decision kicked me out and said it required further processing, lol. My credit is excellent, I'm curious where that goes.

Anyway assuming I get approved, does the Chase backed card have customer service as poor as the reviews make it sound? Currently my regular cards are with CapitalOne and Amex, and while not perfect, I haven't ever spoken to second language English representatives through a watery sounding phone connection.

Weird. Have you been churning Chase? I haven't hit the 5/24 issue but maybe it's that?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Nope, not even close to 5/24. The only change in my credit was moving from a Clear Amex to the Cash Preferred (which ever is without the annual fee) about 3 months ago. They put a $15k limit on that new card which is just silly - could that be it?

I would think my utilization is very good, I've got a $45k HELOC and $1.5k overdraft that are both at zero, and my three cards get paid off monthly (one is a Lowe's card that gets used rarely for 5% off my projects).

And you have a Prime account ya? I know that's an obvious question but just checking. Although I can't imagine why they'd let you apply in the first place without one for the Prime-specific card.

Other than that - I dunno. That other card shouldn't affect it. I got both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and an AmEx Platinum the span of a couple months and those are considerably more rigorous cards to qualify for.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Beyond that, any comments on Chase customer service when you had an issue? I had a bad experience* with CapOne about a year ago and told them I would leave at my earliest convenience, so I'm looking for a visa/MC to replace it for everyday use.

I've had good experiences with them. My bar is still AmEx but Chase is quite solid.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

Amazon/Chase had already sent me a new card a couple of weeks ago, but it was just a normal card because I dropped prime for a minute because I was watching other stuff on streaming. I re-upped to prime last week and got another card in the mail today. It certainly isn't metal, but looks cool and is thicker/stiffer than my other cards. You guys didn't get actual metal cards did you?

Mine's metal - plastic layers on either side with a metal piece in the middle.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

I put $5,000 of a car on the Chase Freedom Unlimited and transferred the points. Oh yeah.

I wanted to put 20k down on my AmEx Platinum for my down payment but the dealership said no :sad:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

WarMECH posted:

We did the same thing a few years ago when we bought our last car and the dealer would only let us put up to $10k on our AMEX.

So we put $10k on our AMEX.

Ya - we tried that but they were like "no - owner doesn't like to pay credit card processing fees on things like this."

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Papa John Misty posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can/should have my Citi AAdvantage card downgraded to that's no-fee?

+1 I don't use mine anymore but it's my oldest card.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think simplicity is the standard one.

Barry posted:

Double Cash.

Thanks!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

gregday posted:

I would not want to carry around it around. Gold is a very soft and malleable metal.

At 10 karat though, it’ll be more durable than most gold we encounter in the west.

But still - it’s gonna be heavy and it’s gonna be dumb.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Girbot posted:

Another thing to keep in mind. If you're not applying for mortgages, insurance, or opening credit cards, your score literally doesn't matter.

It's not something to obsess over, it's something to use.

Don’t forget certain jobs and other kinds of housing too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Generally, credit pulls are pretty low on the “hit” scale.

For example - I had 3 hard checks in march. My score dipped from 780+ to 769 at the beginning of April. It is now back up to 785+.

Granting that credit scores are stupidly opaque, generally, if you get a hard pull AND it results in a new line of credit, your score recovers quite quickly.

So, if it were me, I would not worry unless your score is in the border between two “rate categories. Like if the score is gonna dip below 700, maybe don’t. But if your score is higher, it’s not likely to meaningfully shift lending rates.

If you’re applying next week for a mortgage - don’t do it. But if it’s in 2 months, I wouldn’t think too hard about it.

Usual caveats apply: I’m not a loan officer, my info is anecdotal, and our risk models are not the same.