Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

I just wanted to make sure I got this correct.

My father has a Chase Sapphire Preferred (just like myself) and he would like to transfer the points to my United Mileageplus account.

Can he transfer them directly to my Mileageplus account? Or is that verboten? Meaning that he would have to transfer them to HIS Mileageplus account and then "gift" them to MY Mileageplus account?

According to the Chas UR rules you can only transfer to yourself our a spouse. I don't think United allows transfers without paying either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

I don't see how they would even tell since we have the same last name?

They have a bunch of your personal information so it doesn't seem like it would be that hard for them to figure out and they did specifically change the interface for point transfers such that you'll have to enter incorrect information about your relationship to the person you transfer to for it to complete. Just something to keep in mind as while the risk is probably low if you just do it once, but the consequences are potentially high as you lose your account and the points in it. I'm assuming the amount of points your attempting to transfer isn't enough to just buy ticket or whatever you want. Also checking on United site, it appears to be ridiculously expensive to transfer points.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah I spaced out the 2 SW cards by 3 months, and then waited like another 3 to do the Ink and another 6 to do the Sapphire. I also had my wife transfer some points from her chase freedom so I could move them to SW.

Do you have a side business or is there a good way to apply for a business credit card if you do not?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

What about if you want to travel for work and they don't give you a company card?

Does that count?

Not in the way you mean, or at least not if it's a big coporation. Travelling for work would fall under that business and I'd expect that you're unlikely to get permission from the company along with the information you need to apply.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Here's a quick overview:
1. Get the personal SW card with the 50k bonus (you have to pay the $99 fee)
2. Get the business SW card with the 50k bonus if you have some spending that qualifies for a business card (you will have to pay the $99 fee again)
3. You need to get to 110k points, so either try to get the other version of the SW card (plus if you already have the premier card and visa versa), spend an extra $6k on either card, fly 6k miles on SW, or transfer enough Marriott, Hyatt or Club Carlson points to get 6k points.

That's more or less what you have to do to get the Companion Pass. Here some more info: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

If you want to take full advantage of the companion pass, you are probably going to need more SW points. Best way to get SW points is through Chase signup bonuses. I waited a few months and then signed up for the Chase Ink Business Card and got 50k points. Then I waited a few months and signed up for the Sapphire Preferred and got 40k points. You also can transfer Freedom points to SW if you have an Ink or Sapphire Preferred card. You can also have your spouse/significant other transfer chase points to you so you can transfer them to SW too.

If you can't get the business card, you can get both personal cards, it's recommended that you wait a month between applications though.

Do you actually know what flying you're going to do with the companion pass? I feel like the problem a lot of people run into is that they dive into point programs with no idea how they are going to spend the points and then end up with points on a ton of programs, or they can't get the flights they want, or some other issue. In general you should approach it from the other direction where you plan travel and then apply for CCs that work towards your plan.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pissingintowind posted:

Don't convert the card - you'll miss out on the sign up bonus of $100. Apply for a Quicksilver directly if you want one and get the bonus.

This applies to the VentureOne or the Venture both of which have a signup bonus as well. You may want to look at either the Venture of the Barclay Arrival+ as they give 2% and 2.2% effective cashback though you do have to jump through some minor hoops as it's in the form of points that can only be redeemed against travel expenses and they both have an annual fee that is waived the first year. If you just want straight cashback and don't care about signup bonuses then the Citi DoubleCash at 2% is the easiest option.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I were to open a new Quicksilver account, is it possible to merge my credit limit for my Platinum into the new card and close the Platinum account? I'd rather not have a ton of cards open and it's not my oldest credit line so I wouldn't be hurting there.

And actually, can I do the same thing with Amex? I've got a 7k limit on my Costco Amex and a 2k limit on my Blue card, and with the impending switch to Citi I might as well get that 7k limit rolled over to the other card if possible.

The bolded isn't correct. FICO uses the age of your oldest account, the average age of your accounts and the age of your newest account.

In general, you can call up the issuer and ask them transfer part or all of a credit limit to another account and there won't be any issue.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The Million Mile Secrets guide is decent. It's the site I used to start and occasionally look at since he's pretty good about putting up any new offers for credit cards even if he doesn't get a commission from them. It's pretty long and he just covers the basics, but I'm not sure anyone else has a better guide as what is best for you is pretty dependent on what you want out of it.

asur fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 20, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you don't transfer the Chase Sapphire points to travel partners then the card is basically 2% cash back on travel and 1% cash back on everything else which is pretty mediocre. It's also a Chip and Sig card though that doesn't the biggest deal. The BankAmericard ranges from ok, 1.5% cashback, to great, 2.6% cashback, but there is a downside that you have to redeem the cashback against travel expenses. . I give two more options below, but since you're leaning towards the Chase Sapphire I'd recommend the Arrival+ instead. You'll get more cashback and since you know you're going on a trip you'll have travel expenses to redeem against. If after you come back from your trip you know you won't have travel expenses and just want a simple card then you could move to Citi Double Cash which gives 2% and can be redeemed as a statement credit or I believe a check.

Capital One Quicksilver - 1.5% cashback (redeems for cash) with $100 signup bonus and Chip and Pin, basically the BankAmericard if you don't bank with BoA but easier to redeem.
Barclay Arrival+ - 2.2% cash back (redeems against travel expenses and you get 10% of your points back which is how you get the extra .2%) with a $400 signup bonus with lower spend than Chase Sapphire, somewhat analogous to Chase Sapphire but in your specific case I believe slightly better. Chip and Pin as well.

As a note, there are plenty of cards with no forex fees that don't have an annual fee. You gave one, BankAmericard, and the Quicksilver is another. You can also cancel or downgrade after a year since most cards waive the fee for the first year, this is applicable to both the Chase Sapphire and Barclay Arrival+.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 21, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Redeems against travel expenses means that you can only redeem the cash back you accumulate against travel expenses on that card as a statement credit. What counts as a travel expense changes based on the card issuer and isn't always clear, but airfare and hotels will pretty much always count. It's potentially limiting if you don't have these types of expenses occasionally as then you don't have a way to get the money.

Correct on switching though I would recommend you leave the old card open for 10ish months though close it before the next annual fee comes up.

Just as a note, I don't think there are any chip and pin primary cards available in the U.S. I said which have the capability, but it's secondary if chip and sig isn't available.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

fyallm posted:

Ahhh ok, so they are statement credit's that makes sense. So are the points instant and that is how you use them as a statement credit? So for example I put airplane tickets on them, and then the points are instant and I can deduct how much I have to pay the credit card statement for those tickets?

Points show up when the charge does, but you have to apply them in $25 increments or the whole travel expense with a $25 minimum. You have 90 days from the date the travel expense posted to redeem against it and you can only do so once even if you didn't cover the whole amount.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

redreader posted:

My card colleague recommended the citi thankyou premier to have for the sign on bonus which is in miles, but recently another colleague went on a rant about how awful the redemption was, you can only get flights that they are ok with through their own system, and their flights are mysteriously 200 dollars more expensive than normal. I was sort of planning on using it for a christmas flight from san jose to phoenix. Am I dumb and is it a bad card, or is this doable?

Citi charges a small premium to use their site and they only have certain airlines. If it's the same airline it should be marginally higher than the airlines website, but if it's different then it could be drastically higher You are almost certainly going to have to use their travel portal to buy a ticket near Christmas instead of transferring to partners so you might have to take your chances. As a note the prestige card gets a better redemption rate against AA and US flights, but there is an annual fee that is potentially offset by travel credits.

The comparison between Arrival+ and Citi Double Cash is ignoring the sign up bonus on the former which is a pretty big deal. You'd have to keep the cards for 5+ years before the Double Cash is better if you take that into account. Admittedly, you could just switch after the first year and pocket the difference as well. The Citi Double Cash along with the Fidelity Amex are the best cards if you want straight cash back with minimal effort.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

smackfu posted:

I'd be surprised. No foreign transaction fee is a pretty valuable service, once you start spending a few thousand bucks overseas.

Quicksilver.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Wickerman posted:

Why would you pick the Quicksilver over the BankAmericard Cash Rewards? Both have $100 after $500 expense in the first 3mo signup bonuses, but BoA has 3% on gas and 2% on grocery stores for the first $1500 in those expenses every quarter. 1% on everything else. BoA also has 12mo 0% APR, Cap One has 9mo 0% APR (not that you should be using them for that.)

Have the AmEx BCP for 6% on groceries and 4%(?) gas and use Discover/Chase for the 5% on gas whenever that rolls around.

BA Cash Rewards and Amex BCP both have forex fees, 3% and 2.7% respectively. BCP is 3% on gas and some department stores as well.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I've asked and was told no, but I'd ask anyway since there's nothing to lose.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Any advice for UK goons? Yearly spend is probably around £50k (lots of business travel) currently just get hotel points and free nights as it's worth more than the 1%-2% most cards offer. Can I do better?

I don't know all the UK options, but i think there are two main option. Either two cards for the airline and hotel you use. The other option is to use a card with good transfer partners that gives bonus points on travel spend, Amex PRG is an example. The former is probably worth more but you're tied to a brand.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It appears to be targeted though I have no idea what criteria they use.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

DeceasedHorse posted:

Thanks for the tips. I think it will be easier to manage if I start slow and slice things up quarterly, so to speak, both in keeping track of everything and fulfilling all of the minimum spending requirements.

EDIT: Might be a bit of a topic change, but any thoughts on the relative value of statement credits (like with the Arrival+) versus airline miles? I don't have particularly strong feelings about any particular domestic airline, but the mileage programs seem somewhat easier to understand since you can generally go to the airline's website and derive an approximation of their worth.

How are mileage programs easier to understand? The statement credits are simply credits against your statement and potentially the only hurdle is that you may need a travel expense. I don't think you can get any more straightforward than that. The advantage of miles are always going to have the potential to be worth more, though this is going to be dependent on how you calculate their value. The issue is that you need to be able to use them and in some cases you may not be able to or it may require you to be flexible with your travel plans

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't lie on a credit card application. You can sign up as a sole proprietor using your own SSN and most people have something that would qualify as a business according to the credit card company. Most common would probably be selling stuff, desire to start a business, or expenses for work. Low or zero revenue doesn't seem to be an issue at least with a sole proprietorship as I believe it also asks for your income. Business cards are almost always separate products so receiving the signup bonus for a personal card should have no effect on your eligibility for the signup bonus on the business card.

Maybe, depends on the company and their policy. Amex limits the number of cards you can have so you may have to call reconsideration and close a card to be approved for another. Chase has added strict limits to the number of credit cards you can apply for. Citi has time limits on the number of approvals.

You can definitely use the BA award search for flights from anywhere. There are issues with it showing availability of all the airlines that you could potentially book and I think it may not show if there is a BA flight. Avios cost should be known using the great world mapper to determine distance, and fees should be low if you book on the partners that don't have the fuel surcharge.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

becoming posted:

... and yes, Chase will only approve a customer for so many cards within a certain period of time. I have read that the numbers are "two" and "sixty days". I have been approved for two Chase cards on the same day, so that is (was?) certainly possible. Word on the street is that if you're going for three, you are probably waiting for the third. I had read about some folks having success calling reconsideration and getting a third account approved, but after Chase's June changes, I wouldn't personally bother.

Is this suppose to be Citi? The numbers I've read are that Citi will deny any applications beyond the first in the same day and will only approve 2 cards within 65 days. Recon may get you around both these limits, but you'd probably have to get lucky with the rep or call multiple times. I'm unsure if Chase has similar polices.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you actually have a plan for the points your racking up? If you don't, then you should since otherwise you're likely to end up with points in a program that you don't use. Anyway, if you have the Amex 100k Plat targeted offer I'd apply for that before it expires. The $200 airline credit alone basically covers the annual fee as it's per calendar year. There are other benefits that are easily worth $50, lounge access and Global Entry/Precheck credit, etc. Then cancel when the annual fee comes around again as it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it for you and keep/apply for another Amex card that is better suited for your long term needs.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should be able to mail them the documents. There are free fax websites, but I wouldn't send personal information over them. You could also try asking for a replacement card. Why did you give them an incorrect phone number?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The interest rate on any card that gives rewards is going to be high and it's not relevant if you don't carry a balance. If it's the Barclay Visa with Apple Rewards, then it has no annual fee and so keeping it open doesn't cost you anything. The OP has some suggestions, the Citi Double Cash is probably the best simple option in that it gives 2% back on everything. You can augment that with cards like Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Chase Freedom to get more cash back in certain categories.

One specific thing about Barclay is that they are notorious for closing cards with no spend on them. I definitely would not close the card before applying for another, but if you want to keep it open you should put some sort of recurring charge on it to prevent Barclay from closing it at some point. How much closing the card impacts your score is going to depend on other factors as well and if you aren't even using your credit score in the near future then it may not be worth the bother to keep it open.

asur fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 20, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Syjefroi posted:

I guess what I can't figure out is how it works going forward. Let's say I buy something for $50 in a few weeks, after the deferred interest for the Apple product is all wrapped up. Do I get a year of deferred interest for that item? Do I have that $50 on the credit bill along with whatever the interest is (20-30% or something), or do I have a cycle to pay that $50 off before interest kicks in? Barclay's website does not have easy answers. That's why I'm considering just moving on to a new card from scratch that has policies laid out more clearly.

The main reason I don't want to neglect the Barclay card is that I don't want any hits to my credit, but I'm not sure how that works.

From the T&C of your specific card:

quote:

Your due date is at least 23 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month.

Credit card companies give a grace period on interest through the payment due date as long as the balance is always paid in full. The payment date will be on your statement and if you pay off the balance on the statement by this date then you won't be charged interest. As stated earlier, if a payment is ever made late or not in full, then the grace period is generally removed and interest is charged from the date that purchases post.

Why do you care about your credit score?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I plan to get both the Citi Thank You Premier and Prestige cards, so that I can take advantage of the higher value, pooled points. However, is there a specific sequence I should apply for them?

I only keep cards long enough to get the sign on bonus but not get a second annual fee.

I’m thinking I should do the Thank You Premier first, get the bonus, then the Prestige, so that I can pool them, and they higher value points will be around and usable longer. Am I thinking about this right or am I over thinking it?

The Prestige airline credit, $250 on basically anything processed by an airline, is yearly so I would look into how you can use it and probably avoid getting the card near the beginning or end of the year as that limits the amount of time you have. Just as a note, stated policy on almost all credit cards is that the minimum spend required is purchases minus returns and credits. This policy seems to be inconsistently followed for credits, but if you want to be on the safe side make your minimum spend meets that criteria.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baddog posted:

Even a "pre-approval", they still run credit on you usually right? Wells Fargo did to me. You kinda run into hard inquiry limits quicker than you think, I started getting denied after 7 cards in 5 months. I'm not sure when I can start up again (I've got 9 pulls in 6 months now with the 2 denials, might give it 3 months before trying for something new again?).

So think ahead. Personally there are still so many really good bonuses available out there, I wouldn't mess with anything less than $400/inquiry. Or for something that you're going to need (I got the amex everyday to be able to save the MR points from 2 platinum cards when I cancel them).

I've seen people who've been doing it awhile seem to draw the line lower, around 300-350 in value.

I'm averaging over a hard pull a month over the last year and have had zero denials. BoA is also straight cash which I value a lot higher than points.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baddog posted:

Are you doing MS as well? The last one denied me partly because of "high utilization", as well as too many inquiries. I had a lot of giftcards on credit at the time (maybe 15k worth), although I still should have been under 10% utilization. Next approval I do I'm gonna clear all balances a few days before.

No MS, utilization hovers around 3-4%.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Thank you points I found get e best value on Amazon, so I just link it and occasionally redeem when I happen to be ordering something.

Btw, here is the ultimate credit card used. 23 credit cards:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get-there/wp/2015/10/20/the-right-way-and-the-wrong-way-to-redeem-your-travel-rewards/

Don't Thank You points redeem for 0.8 cents per point on Amazon? That's seems pretty atrocious given that you could redeem at 1 cent per point for gift cards, the same for flights, or if you have the Premier or Prestige then 1.25/1.6 cents per point on American. This is all ignoring transfer partners which should allow above 1.5 cents.

Aside from referral bonuses. I think CSP is revered because Chase has the best transfer partners, it always has a decent signup bonus, and CSP + Freedom is a pretty good 2 card combination. I would guess that the combination of the referral bonus and the fact that it pretty much always has a signup bonus is what drives bloggers to post about it. If you follow TPG or MMS, you can definitely tell when they are struggling for content and it seems like CSP always seems to come up then.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

triple sulk posted:

The Citigold offer has been going around a while. It can also lower your Prestige AF to $350 but no one seems to know how long it ends up lasting, if past the first year or not. Supposedly you can just use a Barclaycard and fund it (and I assume you just take all the money back out to pay the bill) but I don't know if it's worth the effort or I'd do it.

If you have a high limit it is absolutely worth it. Up to $2k from Barclay or 100 thousand points is worth jumping through some hoops. You can double it by signing up for a savings account too. Theres also a 50k TYP, non transferable, offer with easier terms.

For a bank accounts, Schwab has no fees, including forex, reimbursement of ATM fees, and an actual chip and pin debit card. No offer, but I have an account with them specifically for those benefits and use another account, Capital One 360, for my main checking. I'd personally seperate chasing bonus and your permanent account.

asur fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 31, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Tewdrig posted:

The Premier Rewards Gold card (and probably Gold too, but who has that) is getting the Platinum purchase protections this month. I've been using the Everyday Preferred for points, but I may end up keeping the PRG for the benefits it provides. I wish the Hilton Gold that just got added to Platinum went on the PRG now that the fee got upped, in sticker price anyway. That would make it a great value. As it is, the Everyday Preferred is the better earner for me, and the benefit differences between the two aren't huge apart from this purchase protection change and the roadside assistance on the PRG.

The PRG has $100 credit on airline fees, which you can convert into $100 gift card to amazon or one of the airlines. I believe that change is specifically why the fee went up.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

I heard the gift card thingy doesn't work anymore. Can anyone confirm that it worked recently?

It worked for me on both PRG and Plat about a month ago.

Spending that you are reimbursed for pretty much never counts for spending limits. Theres a few exceptions, but unless it's specifically stated I wouldn't count on it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baddog posted:

I do think I'm gonna stop putting any more spend on my SPG cards, which sucks cus they were my everyday spend cards.

I can't get a Chase Sapphire because I've gotten too many cards in last two years. Whats the next best? I'm just going to use Fidelity Amex for now, but is there a points card I should be jumping to? Seems like everyone was always recommending SPG or CSP.

Citi Premier, probably worth getting the Prestige for 1 year for double airfare credit and the signup bonus, or the Amex PRG would be the other good options for earning points with multiple transfer partners.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

$0.01 to $0.01 redemption value is certainly all well and good. It just pales in comparison to the potential for $0.01 to $0.03-ish for points transfers out to partners and other loyalty programs.

However, I think that a lot of people are in a better position to regularly redeem BoA points but not always in a position to take advantage of the bigger travel redemptions.

I think pale in comparison is overstating it. If you have the best multiplier you earn 2.65 points per dollar spent, or $0.02625. Amex, Chase, Citi, or SPG points may be more valuable per point, but on general spend you only earn 1 point per dollar. It of course comes down to how much you value these points, but in my experience over $0.02 is high unless you value business/first class flights at cost or are willing to structure your vacations around the best deal.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Unless they've recently fixed it, if you were upgraded to the platinum world elite citi AA card (I think everyone is automatically after about 2 months or so) you can reapply and get the bonus again. The system sees the world elite as a different product than the world card so you can effectively bypass the 18 month bonus waiting period. I did it successfully twice this year, others have done it 3 times already

Did you get an email or some other confirmation that it was upgraded? I've heard of this, but since I cancelled and Citi completely hosed up my online account for another reason I'm not certain how to check.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I have never had an issue with Chase where I setup the automatic payment to pay the statement balance on the due date.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The car insurance on a credit card requires that you decline the insurance offered by the rental company except in rare cases where the country is covered by the card but requires rental insurance by law and the rental company won't allow you to decline. Italy is an example where Chase Sapphire Preferred and the work MasterCard I had will still cover you even if you have rental company insurance. One big caveat is that almost all CCs are secondary insurance so in the US your normal car insurance will be primary. It's pretty important to read the credit card contract and understand the insurance offered.

A lot of cards offer travel insurance and baggage lost or delayed benefit though you have to charge the trip to that card. You m trying to think if there are more widespread benefits. There's a lot of specific stuff, high end cards offer status to hotels or rental car companies, lounge access, airline credit, precheck/global entry credit and these can greatly reduce the overall cost of the card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I don't know how it works, but my card has my name on it. They sent both of us cards and we both get bills sent to us separately. I tried applying by myself and they denied me, I was only accepted when I added my mom to it. I've checked my credit report and it shows my credit card payments, so it's not like it's just counting towards my mom's credit (which was already pretty stellar).

I was just thinking it'd be nice to get a 2% discount on everything I buy, and I always pay my card off in full every month. So I'm not out to trash my mom's credit or anything. :shrug:

It sounds like you're an authorized user on your mother's account. If the card is from Citi, then you almost certainly are as Citi doesn't offer the ability to co-sign an account. There isn't anything wrong with that, as you've found out the card still shows up on your credit report and will help you build credit if you're unable to qualify on your own. The major difference between co-signing and an authorized user is that in the former both parties share responsibility for the debt and in the later the authorized user is not responsible. The co-signer may also not receive a card, though I'm not certain on that point. In this case, the differences don't seem like they matter and the major issuers, Amex, Chase, and Citi, all don't offer co-signing.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SiGmA_X posted:

I've yet to *have* to use the chip in any of my cards, and most all vendors have dual type card readers now. Kinda interesting. I figured it would require the chip to be used like THF13 suggests.

Do they have the chip reader turned on? I've definitely seen the message come up where if you attempt to slide it will tell you to use the chip instead. I'm not certain why, but a lot of retailers seem to have the chip portion turned off as I've attempted to use it and been told that it isn't working yet.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Barry posted:

Never really thought about that transaction time angle. The chip reader really does seem like it takes a lot longer to go through.

I'd say about 20% of the time or so I've been asked to use chip instead of swipe. Seems like it's slowly growing.

Anyone have experience with Citi recon? Got a pending for my third AA card with them and I think I lean towards not calling in, especially when there's really no way I can give any sort of a reasonable answer to the question "why would you like this card" that doesn't begin and end with "50k AA miles".

There's pretty much no downside to calling and at the very least it would give you the reason they denied you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't see the downside? Recon isn't going to blacklist you and you can always end the call. Anyway, my experience is that Citi gives pending applications either because you've reached the maximum amount of credit they want to extend or they need more information for the application.