Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
How do people feel about the limitations of credit card car rental insurance coverage? I believe it varies a lot between cards, but none seem to cover any injuries and a bunch don't cover the other car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Anyone know if the Citi mailer loophole is closed? I dont seem to be receiving mailers anymore.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
SPG points have tripled in earning as well with the move to Marriott. Hyatt is closer to old SPG price where they range from 5k - 40k based on category with most hotels being 15k - 30k.

Hyatt points are kind of hard to get except via Chase UR transfer, but it's definitely worth transferring in a lot of cases.

asur fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 4, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It depends on what worth it means. You're likely to pay less transferring points than points on the portal for the same hotel. It's highly likely though that you can find a cheaper hotel on the portal.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, Schwab plat may be an option when it's time to renew my wife's card. That's at 1.5%?

On the airline front, we're pretty heavy in to American, whereas MR seems to favor Delta.

It's 1.25 cents per point and you can almost certainly do better transferring. Not certain why MR would favor Delta when multiple transfer for all alliances are in the program.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Which American Express card/offer had the 100K MR sign up bonus? I'm moving across the country and thought I might sign up for it since I want ANA points for a Tokyo flight next year.

You can supposedly call in and get the 100k Biz Plat offer. You can try card match to get the personal 100k.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

What do you guys think about signing up for a business card for personal use? The Chase Ink has a $500 sign up bonus and 1.5% on everything so it’d be a nice everyday card, but I don’t want to use a hard pull if they’ll deny me.

Note: I haven’t applied for a CC in 2 years and I already have a Slate, Freedom, Amazon, and checking account with Chase.

The Chase Ink Preferred is probably better as it has an 80k signup bonus. You can get the 1.5% anywhere by product switching the Slate or Freedom to the Freedom Unlimited.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

smackfu posted:

Amex generally pro-rates the annual fee if you cancel mid year and gives you a partial refund. Does anyone know what they do about the Bonvoy free night award in that case?

I don't believe Amex prorates the fee anymore unless you downgrade.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Signup for the programs if you want, but as a vacation traveler you aren't going to get anything worthwhile out of them.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you're asking if you should transfer Amex points to either Hilton or Marriott then the generic answer is no. You will almost always find better value through flights, however every now and then you can find ridiculous hotel point deals, normally cause the price is jacked up for some reason. You'd have to decide if it's worth your time to look as the chance of this occuring is low.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you want to keep it and argue for a lesser fee or something then you need o wait for the annual fee to show up. If you want to product change or cancel then you can do that at anytime though there is a suggestion to wait a minimum of 12 months.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FunOne posted:

Yeah, if I'm travelling then the AF is fine since I make it up in the benefits, but if I'm not then I don't want to pay it. If I can just wait until it posts on a statement then I'll have more info to argue with them and either open a new Amex and close this one or see if they'll credit some amount back to me.

You have 30 days after the statement with the AF on it to close the card for a full refund of the AF. IF you product change, it does prorate so if you plan to do that then calling right when the annual fee posts is the best approach.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xom posted:

I can't tell from reading, does it work at the same place twice?

Yes, it definitely works twice. Unless the terms say differently i'd expect it to work at the same place 10 times as the previous promotions didil.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Does transferring involve selling/buying stocks/paying capital gains?

edit: maybe maybe not https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/switch-brokers-move-investments/

It shouldn't. I've transferred in and out of Merrill using an ACAT in kind transfer where nothing is sold.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You could try escalating to a manager, but I doubt they'll do anything. The rules are clear with a 30 day grace period and you missed it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

smackfu posted:

For the CSR, is the travel credit year not aligned with the membership fee year? I was surprised to start getting travel credits in mid December but the annual fee was charged in January 1. What if you cancel in between?

I don't believe the fee is exactly aligned on the card member year. You can also spend the credit in the 30 or so days you have to cancel and get the fee refunded and Chase doesn't claw it back.

The Hyatt card is ok. The points are worth a decent amount, but everything else is negligible. There was a decent combo to get status, but I believe the credit card part of it expired at the end of the year. Hyatt points are worth quite a bit, assuming you can use them, so I assume if you spend at Hyatt it's pretty good though I haven't actually checked.

asur fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 3, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012

im on the net me boys posted:

Theoretically, if I were to want to maybe book a trip on Japan Airlines next year, what would be the best card for points I can use with them? I don’t have any air travel cards yet because I’m not a frequent flyer but I don’t mind opening a card if it saves me $500

Do you specifically want to fly JAL or want business class? If neither of these are true, then you're probably better off opening whatever cards give you the highest cash signups bonus and using that to pay for a flight on any airline.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

im on the net me boys posted:

I specifically want JAL because they operate the only nonstop to Tokyo out of San Diego

I don't specifically know JAL availability on this route, but the more specific you are the less likely you'll find award space. If your set on a specific flight and not flexible on dates that's a recipe for failure.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

How does Chase work with getting the signup bonus a second time? Can I cancel my freedom unlimited (the 1.5% cash back one) and wait a year or two then apply for the card again and get the bonus again?

It's from the time you got the signups bonus and it's normally four years now though I'm uncertain of the exact rules for the freedom unlimited. You don't have to cancel until about a month before you want to reapply.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Untagged posted:

Does Amex ever do no-lifetime language offers anymore, for say like Plat or Gold? I know they did it occasionally after they made the switch, but it was also very much ymmv. Or is that long gone these days.

It's almost always targeted only.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

I have a maxed out credit score, am way under 5/24 and I still got the "we need to consider your application" aka a rejection from Chase for the CSP. Getting that message sure did suck! When I get the official rejection letter from Chase, can I still go in-branch and argue my case for the card?

You should be able to check the status online in a couple days and you can call reconsideration of they reject you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Am I missing something with this Amex "Pay Over Time" thing? It just sounds like a credit card? They're really pushing it and offering 20k points for activating it though so I feel like I'm missing something.

You get free points and never have to use it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Me as well. I don't want to use my debit card in case of fraud, yet if If I don't want my score dinged from over utilization every month I can only spend like 580 without paying it off before the statement cuts.

Unless your planning to apply for more credit you shouldn't care about utilization.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

This is a stupid question but Chase's fine print isn't helpful. I just got approved for the Sapphire Preferred card and the 4k in 3 month deadline starts when I activate, right? This is the first card I've gotten with this kind of a bonus and I want to make sure I don't gently caress anything up.

No, it starts when you're approved. You can ask them for the exact dates if you need it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Assuming this isn't for a redemption happening right away, why not just sign up for the CSP, get the bonus, and then ask Chase to product change to the CSR before you redeem?

I don't believe any issuers will allow a PC until more than a year after the card was opened.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Are there any Sofi users out there that want to provide a referral for a loan for the bonus? I’d gladly do that with the caveat that I’d pay it back immediately just to get the bonus.

E: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sofi-loan-300-referral-bonus/

Here you go: https://www.sofi.com/invite/personal-loans/?gcp=78865e7f-fa25-4ee9-a830-15e71bbafc5d

asur
Dec 28, 2012
MR are pretty bad for hotels unless you find a deal or they have a transfer bonus. From TPG, points values are Choice and Hilton at .6 cents and Marriott at .8 cents. Hilton and Marriott are also very hit or miss with finding availability. If you're willing to plan a trip around it then the value can be there though.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Fidelity and Citi both have free 2% back cards.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you plan to use their portal to use the points, I would look into reviews of it. If you plan to transfer, look to see you can transfer where you want. The two credits, one is a sign up and the other is card year, require specific usage so I would also make sure you can actually use them. Seems like a good card with a good sign up bonus that just requires a few hoops to jump through.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

astral posted:

I want to say it was awardmapper and/or awardhacker.

AwardHacker shows the best possible redemption point price which is helpful but isn't even close to the hard part. Finding availability is the hard part and there are no good search tools or deal alerts for flights. The best free option is to use the best search from each alliance and understand how they work. points.me is an ok paid option that aggregates searches across multiple airlines, but you still need to enter a departure and arrival airport along with specific dates and you need to understand the underlying search.

Hotels award searches have much of the same issues and iirc AwardMapper is the same thing as AwardHacker for hotels. If you have set dates and a location it narrows down the options and I think they're a couple tools that will reasonably aggregate or you can just search the couple of chains that you have or can transfer points to reasonably.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
DEN doesn't unless you count the PP restaurant. At SFO the lounge is in a different terminal that isn't connected inside security, I think there are restaurant options too. LAX, PHX and likely more don't have PP lounges.

In general, PP is garbage in the US unless it's Alaska or AF/KLM. The former might be gone from PP or is that SEA only.

asur fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2022

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

I thought there used to be one, but of course, at LAX getting between terminals is annoying.

It had the AS lounge at one point.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you don't want to churn sign up bonuses or have way more yearly spend than the average person (100k+) then none of the travel cards are worth bothering with. Just get a 2% cashback card and one or more cards with increased categories that spend in, groceries probably being the most obvious.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity why does average spend make a difference for the value of travel cards?

It's that you need a high amount of points for a worthwhile redemption. If you need 140k points for roundtrip and spend 15k per year then that's over 4 years to accumulate. By then awards will have changed, potentially multiple times. Even if you get 2x points, like the example, and redeem at greater 2 cents it's probably not worth it over that timeframe. Most travel cards also have an annual fee you need to account for as well.

I should note a distinction that when I say travel card, I specifically mean a card that earns miles or hotel points. Cards that redeem points, or miles that aren't miles, against charges, even if those charges are limited to travel, are much easier to use. Requiring the usage of a travel portal is potentially hit or miss.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

drainpipe posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have experience using Avios points to book flights on American? I'm looking for a new card, and Chase has a 100K bonus for their BA card. I'm not much of a traveller, but I do fly between Texas and the northeast once a year to visit family, and it looks like I could use the points to book flights on American for this. I was just wondering if there might be a significant hidden cost, not much availability, or some other kind of gotcha for using Avios points this way.

The general gotchas for award space apply and US airlines tend to be stingy releasing space. Also this is standard, but in case you don't know, you need to specifically find saver space on AA. Since this is commonly confused this does NOT mean any flight bookable with points via AA.

The other thing is that BA prices by segment and has a distance based award chart. If the flight isn't direct the pricing would likely be significantly worse than AA and the best deals are on the edges of the distance thresholds.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ninja edit above, but it's direct from Experian. There's nothing new on there. No new hard inquiries, no new debt, no missed payments, nothing. Just a great big gently caress you to my previously awesome credit score right when I need it most.

Did your credit usage change? Credit usage under 5% is good and it's not difficult to shoot a single card through the roof accidentally if the credit limit is low.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah it’s just MR points. If you pair it with a gold card you used to be able to get pretty decent redemptions when it was at 1.25.

I feel there has to be a good mr transfer partner though right?

There's a bunch of good partners, ANA, Air Canada, Flying Blue just to name a few.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

smackfu posted:

Is there a particular Amex card that is a good daily driver, ignoring sign up bonuses?

It's mixed in my opinion. The best is the Blue Business Plus for 2x on the first $50k in spend which ad the name implies is a biz card. The other options are the Everyday which is 1.2x and 2.4 on groceries or the Gold for 4x on restaurants and groceries. I think there's an upgraded everyday too as an option.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I just read an article that stated the if you had a basic econ Delta ticket you can't access the lounge with a Plat, or the Delta card, so I'm guessing the requirement for a Delta boarding pass is still in effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I am having the damndest time booking something with the 69k (nice) Avios burning a hole in my pocket.

The BA website is really slow and frequently bugs out (tells me I have another tab open when I don't).

When I do actually manage to search up an award flight, it keeps routing me through Heathrow (even when including partners like American and JAL on the itinerary); I'm in Denver and was looking for flights to Tokyo next summer, although was also thinking of a trip to Honolulu to visit family at some point before then.

I feel like there has to be a better way to do this, but I've taken a couple stabs at it and gotten nowhere.

Have you tried searching with AA? JAL inventory should be the same. For AA inventory you need to find saver fares.