Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How does Amex calculate average account age? I've had an Amex since college in 2007 and still have that original card as well as a platinum card. Do I have 1 account with an age of 8 years? If I close the old college card will that decrease the age of my account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bisty Q. posted:

Amex is unique among issuers in that every account is (or can be if it isn't by default for some reason) backdated to the date of your first relationship with Amex. You have 2 accounts, each with an age of 8 years. If you close one, you will have one account with an age of 8 years. Opening up additional Amex cards is a great way to game the average age of account calculation if you were smart enough to open one early in your credit life, which it sounds like you were.

nickutz posted:

You should have two accounts with the age of 8 years. Check your member since date on both cards, they should both have 07. If not just call them up and they can adjust your MSD, and the account age will update on your credit report too.

Huh, well that's nice. Thanks guys.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How often does Amex reduce the platinum yearly fee after the first year? I'd be fine with either a reduction in the fee or miles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Since AmEx are no longer back-dating new cards

Wait what? :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any good signup bonuses floating around right now? My Amex plat yearly fee just came due and retentions offered $100 off, but paying $350/year is still tough to swallow. I'm in the Chicago area and hoping to potentially travel internationally in the next year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pissingintowind posted:

Hold out a little longer.

I waited another 30 days, and they gave me 40,000 points.

Already canceled. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pig slut lisa posted:

What's your current balance in different points programs, what part of the world do you want to go to, and do you care about premium cabins?

I'm at 15k or so in Amex MR and 10k or so in BA Avios, so nothing high. Thinking about taking a trip to Istanbul or maybe France. Premium cabin would be nice but not required.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I'm at 15k or so in Amex MR and 10k or so in BA Avios, so nothing high. Thinking about taking a trip to Istanbul or maybe France. Premium cabin would be nice but not required.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I was kind of thinking of a PRG because of the signup bonus but it looks like the 50k one is expired. Would one of the United cards be decent since I'm close to Chicago?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Keep in mind that global entry also gives you TSA Precheck. Nice perk, especially if you wanted to get it anyways (you do if you travel more than a handful of times/year).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think I got targeted for a 50k Delta sky miles card for 1k spend in 3 months. I still have about 10k MR points from an old Amex. Are the Delta points worth it? I haven't tried lately.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If I had an Ameriprise Amex Plat that counts right? Either way I'm not having luck having it pop up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

daishan14 posted:

I'm really sad I missed that Amex deal. Guess that's what I guess for only checking this thread once a month.

FWIW, I think it comes around fairly often. I definitely remember a similar one last year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

becoming posted:

The 100k Platinum bonuses are, if I'm not mistaken, almost always targeted, meaning that AmEx has to really want to get you as a customer. What was cool about this last go-round was that anyone could get the Special Offer to show up and thus get the 100k bonus. I'd expect to see a targeted 100k bonus a few times a year, but the open bonus, I'm not so sure.

Ah, gotcha. I signed up for the Ameriprise platinum card deal last year. I'm out for future Platinum personal bonuses right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I recently finished my CSP 40k spend and I'm looking for something new. In 2015 I ended up flying Delta 6x for work (all Delta) and another 4 times or so for personal trips. I live in Madison, which is a hub for no one, but AA, Delta, and United all fly through here (No Southwest). 2016 should see me flying as much or more, mainly domestic. I did the Ameriprise Amex platinum last year, but I understand that the personal/business cards are still open for me. Any other offers I should watch out for?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's better: 50k Skymiles for 1k spend or 50k MR points for opening up a PRG? I don't have any Amex cards currently beyond an old student card.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Amex is dead. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My Amex Gold PRG card is coming up for renewal in the next few months ($195 AF). I just got an offer for a Delta Amex Gold card: 50k bonus miles for $2k spend + 6 months of Delta Gold Medallion status. Is there any reason not to take this? I average flying about 1-2x/month and will probably only make it to Delta Silver this year otherwise, although maybe might make it with the additional miles I get for Gold?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blinkman987 posted:

How the hell is anybody under 5/24? lol

It's 5/24 for chase cards right? If so, some of you guys are waaaay more in to this than I am.

Is there any reason for me to keep my Amex prg open if I just got a delta gold sky miles card?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DeceasedHorse posted:

No, it is 5 new accounts with any bank on your credit report, so ALL account other than some business cards.

PRG has a superior earning structure to the Delta card and many more transfer partners. Whether that is worth $95/year (after using the $100 incidental credit) is up to you.

Ah, should be ok still. I just hit the spending on my Delta Amex for the bonus, with my Amex PRG being up for renewal in October. Sounds like it's worth hanging on to the Amex PRG since I fly Delta a lot?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any good signup bonuses for the Platinum right now? I'm traveling a ton on Delta for the rest of the year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Figured I'd post this here, but I have 100k Delta skymiles, 80k Chase points, and 100k MR points. If I'm not picky on where I go, how do I figure out what the best use for the points is? Ideally it'd be great to be able to buy two RT tickets.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shadowhand00 posted:

Personally for MR and Chase, it depends on whether you want a lot of use (Avios Points) or if you're just looking to blow them out on a first class ticket. Some people like the former, other people like the latter.

Just looking to blow them out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I really need to get off my butt to get this Chase Reserve card. Are there blackout dates for all of these hotel reservations? Would Italy in the summer work?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got in/out of Chase within 15 minutes to apply for/get approved for the Reserve. Pretty painless all around! Guy said they're expecting a big rush once March rolls around.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DeceasedHorse posted:

If you mean which one has the highest resale value, I'd check the gift card reselling sites or eBay .

I've sold delta ones without issue in the past on both (you have to promise to mail the code on eBay now however)

Is there a decent/non-scam place to buy Delta gift cards?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a reason to choose one Delta-branded AMEX card over the other? I want to spend on one of them this year so I don't end up missing Delta status again for not spending enough money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nur_Neerg posted:

For Ultimate Rewards redemption, you can get silly good value out of Hyatt stays. Have 140k points set aside for a trip to Maui, Tokyo, or the Maldives some time in the next year. That 140k will get me 7 nights in Maui, add another 10k points (total of 150k) for 5 nights in Tokyo, or use that same 150k points for 6 nights in the Maldives. Respective cash values of $3843, $2480, and $4950.

Thanks for breaking this down. We used a handful of points for a few nights for the Park Hyatt in Milan and I was wondering what to do with the rest.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
While we're on the topic, is the Hyatt in the Maldives as awesome as I think it is/worth the redemption?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thufir posted:

There's a 40% transfer bonus for Amex MR to Avios right now, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Ooooo, are avios still a good way of traveling on AA domestically?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've switched my travel from Delta to American. Is there any reason to hold on to my Delta Amex or Amex PRG? I've mainly been using my Chase Reserve.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I've switched my travel from Delta to American. Is there any reason to hold on to my Delta Amex or Amex PRG? I've mainly been using my Chase Reserve.

Closed the Delta amex. Are there any good Amex offers, or should I just hold on to the PRG?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smackfu posted:

So what are people doing about their Chase Sapphire Reserve now that it is coming up for renewal?

Keeping it. It's really only $150/year and the points/travel bonuses are great. I just need to figure out what to do with all of the points since I mainly travel with American. Thinking about using them for a honeymoon at the Park Hyatt Maldives, but not sure if there are any other good options.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Am I dumb NOT getting an amazon prime card?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
CSR annual fee is about to hit. Is there any reason not to renew? I used to have a CSP a few years back so I'm not sure I'm eligible for a signup bonus from that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does getting married change my/my fiancee's eligibility for credit card bonuses/etc? She uses an Amex Platinum right now, I use a Chase Sapphire Reserve. Should she or I sign up for cards while we're single?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dy. posted:

Looking for recommendations here.

Just moved in with the lady and we're looking to get a new card to use for joint expenses so we can easily split everything. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve and a Chase Freedom card (which was converted from a Sapphire Preferred). She has a Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Was thinking about doing this:
  1. I refer her to a Sapphire Reserve and collect the 10k referral bonus
  2. She opens a Sapphire Reserve and gets the 50k bonus
  3. She transfers points from existing Preferred to new Reserve and changes the Preferred to something without a fee
  4. She adds me as authorized user for the extra bonus.

Anyone had success with doing anything similar? Are there other deals I should be looking at?

Same situation, but my fiancee has an Amex Platinum and I have a CSR. Is it worth doing the same thing? Does Amex still do those 100k point offers?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hostile apostle posted:

Lifetime being 7 years... Also amex used to consider the different plat cards as separate for the lifetime bonus, eg Ameriprise, Schwab, MB, etc. I think they may have changed this very recently.

Does this mean that if I got the ameriprise amex plat a few years back I wouldn't qualify for the bonus on the regular platinum now, or is this only moving forward?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is Amazon unusually stingy with their limits? I got my first Amazon card right after college and the limit has never really been raised above $1500. I've had multiple credit cards with 50k+ limits since then. :psyduck:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there much point to having both a CSR and an Amex Platinum? Trying to figure out which of our cards to cancel/downgrade after getting married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They're trimming up the CSR a little bit.

Yeah, although it doesn't seem like a huge deal. Right now I think I have ~250k points on Chase, 100k on Amex, and then she has 200k+ points on Amex.

We fly mainly on American since we live in a hub city. We'd love to start looking at taking a trip to South Africa, however I'm not sure we could do it together on the points that we have.