Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Citi double cash is going to be about as good as it gets for a general usage card, right?
amazon / random-shopping / gas are my biggest categories. Don't carry a balance, not worried about miles, just cash back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

So am I seeing it right that the Discover card doubles your cash back for the first 12 months?

So its 1% back on everything, 5% on whatever their calendar is, 10% on Apple pay purchases, but everything is doubled on month 12?
Well this is interesting. Any chance this is android pay as well as Apple pay?
Also, wouldnt that be 10% bonus on the 1% (so 1.1% back), not +10% of the purchase (11%)?

Moneyball posted:

Safe to make multiple balance transfers?
They are saying that since you are carrying a balance you start accruing interest on purchases immediately instead of having the 23 day grace period. It doesn't change anything about the previous balance transfer.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 16, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I care because I hate paying interest. I'd transfer the money to the 0% interest cash one, and pay as much of it off as possible (though the discover gives me 0% interest for the first year), and thr discover would be just for rewards at this point I think. It's a nice card and a good way to earn bux back on stuff like bideo games or computer parts.
Pretty much all rewards cards are high interest. His point is on a rewards card you should be paying it off every month so the actual rate is irrelevant.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Are the Citi easy deals points worth anything? They seem like the worst possible rewards system.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

It's also important to remember that there's a difference in the way your return is calculated when it comes to credit card rewards. Some cards give you very nice CASH value when it comes to points but others give you very generous REDEMPTION rewards.
But do the easy rewards points give you either? The 2% cash back on the double cash card is just so simple. And none of the redemptions on the easy rewards seem anything like a good deal. It's all a few percent off if you buy something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

EAB posted:

I'm confused.

So when I look at my credit card info, theres the Current Balance, and then the Statement Balance, and then theres the minimum due balance right below statement balance.

Theres a "make payment" button in the box with the statement balance and minimum due balance I clicked, and tried to pay the statement balance in full.

But it just ended up removing that amount from my current balance, and the statement balance remains, what da heckkk
Current balance is your current balance.
Statement balance is your balance as of your last statement.
Minimum due is the minimum you need to pay.

Your paying dollars to them doesn't change your statement balance. Its not supposed to.
And barring some odd terms, as long as you pay the statement balance every month, you won't pay any interest.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

For anyone interested in signing up now, the chase sapphire preferred bonus has increased to 50,000 points as of yesterday. If you've applied within the last 3 months, it's worth it to SM/call chase and ask for the extra 10k points.
Interesting, but I don't think I have $4k in spending coming up in the next 3 months. Most MS methods have been closed off, right?
Wish I could pay rent on a card. Would make it simple.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Whats the best (domestic) travel and hotel card these days? I only have a double cash and aren't really picky about which hotel chain I'm in. I do want to avoid annual fees.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I do a lot of commuting and want to squeeze the most cash back I can out of my gas purchases. My Discover card is one of those ones with the revolving cash back categories so I only get 5% back on gas for three months out of the year, it's 0.25% otherwise. What should I be looking at for a credit card? I don't have a balance to transfer and I'm not interested in churning.
Citi Doublecash gets a lot of talk as a no-gimmick 2% cashback on everything card. No signup bonus, but also no annual fee.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

What actually qualifies as "travel" for the CSP card? Hotels? air/bus/train/uber tickets? What else?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Barry posted:

Anything you'd think is associated with travel and then a bunch more.

khysanth posted:

All that and more. Camping, parks fees, etc. It's pretty exhaustive.

wyoak posted:

Parking lots/garages and meters do
Cool. Thanks to all of you. I just got the card, need to hit the $4k mark, and as much as possible would like to avoid 1% categories. Fortunately I have a bunch of trips coming up that need hotels and crap.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CSP Purchases via paypal count as normal purchases, not as cash advances, right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I just finished my $4k spend on the CSP. Is there a confirmation that gets sent that its going to be credited with the sign up bonus, or do I just trust that everything is good and put my spending back on the double cash card?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Virtue posted:

But is it as sexy as the CSP?
When I used my CSP for 3 months to meet the min spend I was amazed at how many comments it got. Like, really? Its still just a CC.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is your spending like that you managed to hit the minimum spend with day to day usage? I want to get the CSP for the bonus, but I average about 600 bucks a month on the CC and don't want to try to manufacture spending by seeing how many times I can get a Visa gift card before Walmart bans my card. I guess I am just going to wait until I have a one-time large purchase, but there's nothing on the horizon for me.
I stuck an abnormally large purchase on it (dSLR).

If (*if*) you can pay rent on a CC its great for hitting min spends.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bentai posted:

In theory if you use the entire $300 travel credit the annual fee is only $150, which is kind of reasonable. Also, since it looks like the travel credit is based on calendar year, you would end up getting $600 worth of credit before that fee comes due.
Is the first year waived?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So his point on two year's worth of travel without paying the AF doesn't work. :(
Guess I wish I had more travel expenses coming up to take advantage of it. My CSP hits a year in April. Lots of time, but not *too* much travel planned. 150k points would be nice though....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

Geez, didn't even realize this:

Sapphire Reserve’s also applies to general travel purchases, including airfare, taxi rides, rental cars, hotels — even bridge and tunnel tolls. If you travel (even only within your own state), there’s a very good chance you’ll have no problem using up the credit.

That's pretty generous and makes up a lot for the annual fee (more than just the airfare ones for the Amex Plat.
How do you actually claim it, though?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

gregday posted:

You get an automatic statement credit for anything in their travel category.
Well that's about as simple as it gets.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How valueable are UR points for cruises? I've got 50k points from the CSP card and adding 100k from the CSR doesn't seem too outlandish. 150k points has to be pretty decent.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 31, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I think a meaningful way to spend the points/rewards that works with your lifestyle is just as important as earning them which is why I don't have any airline cards at this point in my life.
This is why I hit 4k spend on my CSP. Banked the 50k points and haven't touched it since then. I'm probably moving before the end of the year and will grab a CSR and use it/the-points to visit home. Right now everything goes onto the double cash. Cash is easy to spend, even if its not the best possible value.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CSR chat: How quick is the turnaround from application to card arrival?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sweet. So I don't need to apply until I get an offer letter then. Thanks!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sits on Pilster posted:

Ended up deciding on the CSR as there is a >$1000 per year advantage for us versus the CSP as far as I can see. This is of course dependant on spending $4k in the first 90 days, after which we get points that can be redeemed for $1500 in plane tickets apparently. The plan is to exclusively use the CSR until we hit the threshold, then switch our grocery spend over to another card with a higher cash back percentage. The benefits of the CSR are very travel focused and the rewards are great for that (hello $300/year refunded for plane tickets) but the return on common purchases is only 1.5%, and that's only when you redeem points for travel.
$1500 if you go through chase rewards, or 100k points to transfer at 1:1. Also a $495 annual fee (charged up front) vs $99 (waived the first year), 3x points on travel/dining compared to 2x, and the TSA travel stuff and $300/calendar-year travel credit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Depends on how much effort you want to put in. The hard part of this is the CC fee. Even a 2% cashback is only a $6/mo "profit". Pick a couple high sign-up bonus cards and get the bonus points. Remember you are gonna be paying an AF to get the cards. Otherwise... just put it on a 2% CB card for the $6. Its probably not worth paying the fee to get miles, you're spending so much extra to get them that it negates their value in the first place.

For a 2% card that credit rating should be fine to get a Citi double cash. 2%, no limit, no AF. I think everyone should have one as a no hassle 2% card.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If Chase does reduce the signup bonus on the CSR, how much notice are we likely to have before the new amount kicks in?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The UR points go poof if you don't have an UR card. Get the new card first.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

asur posted:

edit: I would just like to point out that if you can use the Sapphire Reserve travel credit in December then the card is absolutely worth getting. If you apply in early December you're likely to get 3 travel credits and then the 100,000 points on top of that. The points alone are easily worth the annual fee even if you just use them as a statement credit and then on top of that would be $900 in travel credit. I don't want to push something if you have other reasons to not get it, but from a churning perspective the Sapphire Reserve is absolutely ridiculous value.
Yeah, now is the perfect time to get [CSR] if you have travel upcoming, which I do, but I won't be able to count on hitting the 4k min spend right now. *frustrated*

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TraderStav posted:

1:1 to Southwest can be super cheap. They have 6.5K flights (each way) all the time. That beats delta which will be like 30-45k domestic round trip. If you're travelling alone that's 5-6 trips.
Southwest is cramped, but I do like how cheap you can fly around on them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Does balance transferring away from a citi double cash get you the second 1%?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yes, a balance transfer is the same thing as a credit card payment. Can confirm you receive the second 1% on a balance transfer credited to a citi double cash.
Cool, thanks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I noticed that I had a couple small parking transactions (one or two bucks) count toward my travel credit. I wonder if my $800/year school parking pass will count.

Not if it's coded as paid to the school. If it's a different merchant in their system... Maybe.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Can you just got back and forth between the csr and CSP, just get the new card and close the old one, repeat after 12 months?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

THF13 posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve signup bonus is being reduced from 100k down to 50k as of January 12th, though the offer will apparently still be available if you apply inside a branch until March 12th.
Aand I was gonna wait, but gently caress that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I now a no-fee CC available option to pay my rent. What are the best options for signup bonuses? I should be easily be able to meet any not-insane spend requirements. Score up mid-upper 700s, and I already have a CSP (opened 4/2015 iirc). I see above discussion about changing it to a freedom card and grabbing a CSR, but that also has a $450 fee attached to it. Dunno if I travel enough to use the whole bonus amount, though the TSA thing would be nice for the rare occasion when I do.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If I have the travel credit available I'm going to use it, its just not something I would do as a routine thing. Roundtrip for two down to Vegas would be about as easy a way to burn that as any, and GF would love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You should still ignore the high rate. It's easy enough to apply for a balance transfer card to move it off if you need to.