Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I'm so sick of *~freaked out trip missions, maaaaan~*. I really hope they ditch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Obsurveyor posted:

If you're still looking for a co-op buddy, add me, same PSN name as here.

Sweeeeeeeet - That'd be cool as I haven't once yet played any co-op or any of the online components. Every time I've tried to join someone else's game it's failed or didn't find anything :toot:

psn: TheDukeChin i think. PDT timezone; won't be home til way later tonight though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Haledjian posted:

Does the Bushmaster unlock via campaign progression or is it only through the Arena? I really want it but I don't find the Arena fun at all (or I'm bad at it)

do it on the phone app. it only takes like a half hour to do it there.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Volkerball posted:

do it on the phone app. it only takes like a half hour to do it there.

Huh I didn't even know that was a thing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Street Horrrsing posted:

I'm so sick of *~freaked out trip missions, maaaaan~*. I really hope they ditch them.

Yeah, they're really annoying. I bet they're popular with most fans, though, so expect FC5: Jurassic Park to have them.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
They were pretty funny at first but after about 3 I was getting annoyed with them

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The only one I really liked was the cement factory. That ones great.

The Yogi ones are all dumb and boring.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Even worse than drugs was Shangri La

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Mokinokaro posted:

The only one I really liked was the cement factory. That ones great.

The Yogi ones are all dumb and boring.

I seriously don't understand why Ajay lets those two fuckers live in a tent in his backyard when they keep stabbing him with a syringe every time he talks to them

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Professor Shark posted:

Even worse than drugs was Shangri La

Hot Take!

Also no. There's no immortal tiger in the drug sequences therefore your argument is invalid.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Haledjian posted:

Does the Bushmaster unlock via campaign progression or is it only through the Arena? I really want it but I don't find the Arena fun at all (or I'm bad at it)

Use the arena master app for android or iOS, you play the lovely mobile game and it increases your arena level in the pc game. It's how I got it anyway

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
http://wccftech.com/far-cry-sigma-listed-steam/

quote:

‘Far Cry: Sigma’ Listed In Steam Database

Something's happening with apparently a new FC? People are talking about a port of an old game in the series. I'd prefer new content TBH, but it's only been a year since the last one. Maybe finally we're getting Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2. :confuoot:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Colonel J posted:

http://wccftech.com/far-cry-sigma-listed-steam/

Something's happening with apparently a new FC? People are talking about a port of an old game in the series. I'd prefer new content TBH, but it's only been a year since the last one. Maybe finally we're getting Blood Dragon 3: Vietnam War 2. :confuoot:

I want a new Blood Dragon that's Bollywood Style

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe Far Cry: Sigma is a Mega Man X game with Far Cry style gameplay.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

I want a new Blood Dragon that's Bollywood Style

With a Death Dance of Kali sequence

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Can't link because I'm on mobile with low battery, but Ubisoft has a slow-burn livestream reveal of a new title on its YouTube page. It's reportedly Far Cry: Primal, set in the ice age.

gently caress yes I'm ready to hunt some woolly mammoths to make myself a coat.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

So... Far Cry with dinosaurs? Far Cry with dinosaurs, please.

(e:fb, dang it)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Solovey posted:

So... Far Cry with dinosaurs? Far Cry with dinosaurs, please.

(e:fb, dang it)

effervescible posted:

Can't link because I'm on mobile with low battery, but Ubisoft has a slow-burn livestream reveal of a new title on its YouTube page. It's reportedly Far Cry: Primal, set in the ice age.

gently caress yes I'm ready to hunt some woolly mammoths to make myself a coat.

Yabba dabba dooooo?
Might be cool. It's unique, at least.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I am 1000% down for some Ice Age survival. I don't know how some of the systems will transfer to such a time period, but we'll see.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I hope it's tongue in cheek like Blood Dragon and all the dialogue is like Caveman with Ringo Starr.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hell no, it should be far cry 2-difficult with no map, and to level up you have to have offspring and die :black101:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

Hell no, it should be far cry 2-difficult with no map, and to level up you have to have offspring and die :black101:

I hope there's B.C. Bill levels of "club a wench over the head and drag her back to your cave"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i want to gore a mammoth and use its skin to make a wingsuit to fly back to my cave.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Ubisoft posted:

Far Cry Primal takes you back to the Stone Age when man was definitely not at the top of the food chain. Danger lurked around every corner during the daytime, and nighttime brought a fresh set of terrors. It is in the untamed land of Oros that you meet Takkar, the sole survivor of an ambush on his hunting group. Now on his own in a treacherous world, Takkar will face massive mammoths, savage sabretooth tigers, hostile bands of rival hunters, and countless other threats as he attempts to re-unite his lost tribe.

So...... No dinosaurs, apparently, assuming they're sticking hard and fast to the Stone Age thing. Though I suppose that including dinosaurs could still remain a possibility through some bizarro plot twist (or, god forbid, extra DLC)? I mean, Far Cry 4 had loving yetis, and this series has hardly been 100% realism all the time...

Either way, still sounds like a neat premise. Even if it does turn out to be another FC3/4 reskin set in ancient rock times -- and I hope it doesn't, as it sounds like the primitive weapons/crafting set-up and lack of vehicles should be enough to set it apart from both of those -- I enjoyed those games enough that I'll probably still give it a go.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Solovey posted:

lack of vehicles

As long as I can ride dire wolves, sabertooth tigers and mammoths to war I will be happy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's a surprisingly big departure for an Ubisoft series.

I'm looking forward to stealthily putting out a camp's signal fires so they can't call for help if I'm discovered while braining them all with a rock, causing two mammoths carrying reinforcements to arrive a minute later.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
You joke, but 1) that's probably what will be involved 2) I totally want to do it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so bad with a bow when I don't have the marksman sight. :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there weren't exactly a lot of interesting weapons in the stone age. mainly just rocks, crappy spears, and even crappier bow and arrows. basically the stuff you start out with in any fantasy game and then get rid of as soon as possible.

I wonder if they will introduce some magic element to make it more interesting or have you riding the mammoths or something like that

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
More melee combat focus I'm guessing, with skill trees for crafting buffing potions and controlling animals.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Earwicker posted:

there weren't exactly a lot of interesting weapons in the stone age. mainly just rocks, crappy spears, and even crappier bow and arrows. basically the stuff you start out with in any fantasy game and then get rid of as soon as possible.

I wonder if they will introduce some magic element to make it more interesting or have you riding the mammoths or something like that

I read somewhere that fire will be an important part of the game.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I bought the pc dvd version of this off amazon today. I put the first disc in and bitdefender went nuts. Has any one else experienced this?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So there's a bunch of gameplay footage and trailers and whatnot out now for Far Cry Primal. It looks pretty interesting. Ubi is selling it as a $59.99 standalone game, so it's evidently not a short side project like blood dragon was. It's a cool theme, but I'll probably hold off on buying this one the day it releases. Combat looks pretty uninteresting without guns. The only thing that adds a lot of flavor is being able to tame animals and then call them in as a companion at any time. The animals all have a unique skillset that complements how you want to play. So for instance, if you want to go stealth while clearing an outpost, you can whistle and get a jaguar to follow you. Then you can command it to do stealth takedowns. Then you can whistle, your jaguar fucks off, and a bear will follow you. It basically acts as a tank if you want to sit back and pick people off with your bow. Sounds pretty fun. Sabre tooth tigers, badgers, mammoths, and wolves looked like the major animal companions. Saw bows and rock slings as available ranged weapons. Hopefully there's more than two.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 15, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah it looks pretty good, I'm into it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've been on board with the series since the first one.

If it was just prehistoric palette swap I'd still play it.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I'm in the wait and see boat, but I'm definitely interested, they've always managed to suck me in and I haven't been let down yet.

... with one exception.

When Farcry 2 came out, I was always careful of getting too close to the water because I was concerned about Crocs. I'm Australian, it's a legitimate concern up North, and in my mind there was no way those drat rivers didn't have Cros in them. Having to cross a river was actually a very stressful experience for me, and I'd usually try and find a bridge, boat, or forward them in a vehicle - otherwise I made a mad dash. It wasn't until I'd spent a good amount of time down south before I realised that there were no Crocs and I had been worried over nothing, and to be honest that was a massive letdown for me.

However on reflection, the fact that the game was able to pull me in to a point where lessons I'd been taught since I was very small kicked in is pretty drat impressive.

Honestly, I may have even subconsciously avoided tall grass.

Then waltzing into FC3 I was convinced that there were no Crocs and it was fine to walk around rivers like it was nobodies business until I was watching some islanders chilling near a billabong when suddenly a big salty goes out and stanches one :stare:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 16, 2015

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
There was a more chaotic hands-on feel to FC2 that the others lost. Minimal hud, manually looking at the map, no tagging of enemies, etc. Maybe primal will bring some of this back, riding a mammoth about and having to pull up a map drawn on a piece of animal skin or something.

I've never had a visceral response from a game as much as I got from FC2. Was driving at night and as I put the map away I saw a zebra in the middle of the road and didn't have time to swerve or brake. I actually flinched.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about the map, but you can take control of an eagle and fly over the top of outposts or whatever, and tag enemies that way. "hunters eyes." Also I don't know if you can ride mammoths or not. They looked loving gigantic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I don't know about the map, but you can take control of an eagle and fly over the top of outposts or whatever, and tag enemies that way. "hunters eyes." Also I don't know if you can ride mammoths or not. They looked loving gigantic.

there's a gameplay video where they showed someone riding a mammoth but they mentioned it was a "young mammoth", I think you can't ride the full grown ones.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've never had a visceral response from a game as much as I got from FC2. Was driving at night and as I put the map away I saw a zebra in the middle of the road and didn't have time to swerve or brake. I actually flinched.

Yeah even though it was often frustrating gameplay wise I feel like it's still the best in the series for reasons like this. The later games are fun but felt too "systematic" IMO, you are just repeating various patterns after a while, while FC2 remained chaotic and difficult. The jungle actually felt like a jungle.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also if you are going to play this next game and have not ever seen Beastmaster, definitely watch it.

• Locked thread