Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rookersh posted:

Is anyone really not expecting the twist to be Pagan is your real father?

Ubisoft employs hacks so that's basically a given, but at the same time they just did a find and replace of FC3's script and that didn't come up in that one so I don't know what to believe anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Far Cry 3 was rad by the way the only improvement I'd make is cut out all story/cutscenes and increase LoD distance cos that was some console poo poo or something.
My favorite thing to do in 3 was climb the radio towers and blindly rain rocket fire down on the outposts. Even if you were too far for the game to actually draw the enemies you'd still rack up the kills.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Volkerball posted:

My biggest issue with 3 was the lack of voice actors for random enemy NPC's. Practically all of them rotated the same 5 or 6 lines by that one guy. Every pirate having the same voice got old quick. WHAT DEE gently caress

This made it all the more baffling when they turned out to be compressed to hell, like they were from the first Assassin's Creed or something. If it's supposed to be their masks muffling their voices, it sure as poo poo doesn't sound like it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ They all looked the same too. There was like 4 different enemy uniforms.

J-Spot posted:

My favorite thing to do in 3 was climb the radio towers and blindly rain rocket fire down on the outposts. Even if you were too far for the game to actually draw the enemies you'd still rack up the kills.

I remember one outpost that had really steep mountains on 3 sides of it. Think it was on the second island. I used to load up on explosive arrows, grenades, etc, and trigger reinforcements. Then I'd just sit up there and rain death on hoes. Never enough to kill them all though. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ddraig posted:

I love how in Far Cry 2 you could be an incredibly evil person (because that's literally who your character is)

I liked to place mines around a camp then throw petrol bombs in. Things would start going alight, people would start running, usually into the mines. Then you could go and clean up the stragglers with your machete. Or you could rig up a vehicle with IEDs, leave it on the side of the road and then use it as a reference point to blow up an incoming convoy. Or just cover it in C4 and drive headlong, diving out and blowing up the explosives then going to town with your machine gun.

Far Cry 2 actually made you feel like a terrible person because of the things you could do. Far Cry 3 tried to make you feel like a terrible person with cutscenes.
If you play FC2 like a normal shooter and drive in or to the edge of checkpoints and methodically take guys out with an assault rifle or machine gun I can see it being kind of a snore of an experience. Luckily you get a guerrilla toolkit that encourages acting out every awful news story out of Africa and the Middle East in the 90s-00s so you can draw enemies out with sniper and mortar fire or set their guardshack on fire or terrorize them with explosives. A lot of this got held over for FC3 too but it doesn't feel as terrorizing once the heavies get introduced, nor as emergent since there's a lot of shoot door for tiger and hit button to stab and throw dagger.

If you play FC2 and drive around checkpoints instead of assault them, I'm not sure why you aren't playing Afrika instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ddraig posted:

I think one of my major beefs was how they attempted to be tongue in cheek about lovely aspects but somehow making them more lovely. Having a stupid loving forced tutorial isn't made any better if the game acknowledges it's a stupid loving forced tutorial, it's a kick in the teeth to say "Isn't this terrible and boring and horrible? It so is, but we're still going to make you do it!"

Completely made up for by it having the sentence "Press crouch to go lower."

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ddraig posted:

I love how in Far Cry 2 you could be an incredibly evil person (because that's literally who your character is)

I liked to place mines around a camp then throw petrol bombs in. Things would start going alight, people would start running, usually into the mines. Then you could go and clean up the stragglers with your machete. Or you could rig up a vehicle with IEDs, leave it on the side of the road and then use it as a reference point to blow up an incoming convoy. Or just cover it in C4 and drive headlong, diving out and blowing up the explosives then going to town with your machine gun.

Far Cry 2 actually made you feel like a terrible person because of the things you could do. Far Cry 3 tried to make you feel like a terrible person with cutscenes.

Far Cry 2 also had way better fire mechanics than 3. In 2 if you threw a Molotov into dry grass in the middle of an outpost the entire outpost would be burning 5 minutes later and you could use this to direct and restrict enemy movement, in 3 it just lights up a small area and fades after 20 seconds.

2 also had the feature of enemies being loving terrified of you by the end of the game. You'd work your way through a compound and by the end of it there'd be two guys cowering in a shed being like "gently caress that noise I'm staying right the gently caress here, this is loving terrifying."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

^^^ They all looked the same too. There was like 4 different enemy uniforms.

There were 5 or 6 different types of uniforms, mostly based on function of dude (assault, defender, charger, molotov, heavy weapons guy, and rpg/sniper) and 2 different color schemes if they were pirates or mercs.

Wasn't too bad from a design perspective.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm bad at sussing out system requirements for games, if my PC can play renowned system hog Evil Within at max without dropping frames ever then it can probably play this just fine right? Just asking cause system requirements lab says I can't at recommended but can at minimum however it's said I point blank can't play Evil Within or Dead Rising 3 at all and both of those ran just fine at max. So pretty sure it's just wrong all the time. Got a PS4 anyway and a mate to play co-op with on that so may go for that version anyway. Just curious.

Orv
May 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm bad at sussing out system requirements for games, if my PC can play renowned system hog Evil Within at max without dropping frames ever then it can probably play this just fine right? Just asking cause system requirements lab says I can't at recommended but can at minimum however it's said I point blank can't play Evil Within or Dead Rising 3 at all and both of those ran just fine at max. So pretty sure it's just wrong all the time. Got a PS4 anyway and a mate to play co-op with on that so may go for that version anyway. Just curious.

You should be fine. Additionally if you played FC3 on max/near max without any problems you will also be fine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ayn rand hand job posted:

There were 5 or 6 different types of uniforms, mostly based on function of dude (assault, defender, charger, molotov, heavy weapons guy, and rpg/sniper) and 2 different color schemes if they were pirates or mercs.

Wasn't too bad from a design perspective.

It wasn't terrible, it's just with the same voices and faces, it felt like you were killing the same guys over and over again. Got old. But 4 seems to have different factions at each terrain, so there should be a diverse amount of killing to be done. Which I will do with my giant fuckoff harpoon cause I just pre-ordered this poo poo today. :getin:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I guess Far Cry 2 will join the list of games that everybody hated when it came out, but love in hindsight. Like Thief 3.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Are you kidding? Far Cry 2 was and still is a complete turd. They managed to make being a murderous warlord a complete chore.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I guess Far Cry 2 will join the list of games that everybody hated when it came out, but love in hindsight. Like Thief 3.

Far Cry 2 is one of those games that you either love or hate with a passion. They did a lot of unique things with it, so naturally you will have people who think those things are great, and those who find them frustrating or whatever.

Far Cry 3 scrapped that and tried to please everyone by being as 'safe' as possible, which lends to a certain degree of popularity, but bored the people who loved Far Cry 2 to tears because virtually everything unique and interesting was stripped out.

^^ I guess the problem is that you think you're supposed to be a murderous warlord in Far Cry 2. You're not. You're just a regular rear end in a top hat who happens to kill for money, and you're thrown into a situation where you have very few friends and very little support network other than what you can buy with diamonds or earn with favors.

Far Cry 3 is the one where you're a Murderous Warlord and it was boring as all hell since there's very little to push against when all resistance just crumbles because you're literally the White God come to lay waste to everything.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 9, 2014

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Ddraig posted:

^^ I guess the problem is that you think you're supposed to be a murderous warlord in Far Cry 2. You're not. You're just a regular rear end in a top hat who happens to kill for money, and you're thrown into a situation where you have very few friends and very little support network other than what you can buy with diamonds or earn with favors.

Oh that's right, you actually play as a complete shitmuncher doing boring missions for diamonds and pills or something. Too bad that doesn't make the game any less tedious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Far Cry 2 was pretty terrible, hence why they aren't making another game like Far Cry 2. Tedious, slow, and annoying and this is coming from someone who bought it on 360 and PC hoping it would get better on PC.

Its like they didn't flesh things out at all. Your allies eventually die anyways, and the one cool thing about it is that you are the one that kills them all on the 2nd map towards the end of the game. Also, the ending is very dumb.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Far Cry 2 was actually n*jeep full of mooks comes out of nowhere and interrupts this post*

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

Far Cry 2 was pretty terrible, hence why they aren't making another game like Far Cry 2. Tedious, slow, and annoying and this is coming from someone who bought it on 360 and PC hoping it would get better on PC.

Its like they didn't flesh things out at all. Your allies eventually die anyways, and the one cool thing about it is that you are the one that kills them all on the 2nd map towards the end of the game. Also, the ending is very dumb.

So why are they making another game like Far Cry 3 :confused:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Shima Honnou posted:

Far Cry 3 had cassowaries, an animal that has literally only killed a single person in the history of recorded time. Clearly the superior game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

Because Far Cry 3 kicked all the rear end and the sales reflected it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Because Far Cry 3 was pretty fun. Aside from the storyline, the gameplay felt a lot more polished. Far Cry 2 at times felt like a mess.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Far Cry 3 spawned Blood Dragon.

Hoping for Blood Dragon II

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Scyantific posted:

Far Cry 3 spawned Blood Dragon.

Hoping for Blood Dragon II

Blood Elephant.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Moartoast posted:

This made it all the more baffling when they turned out to be compressed to hell, like they were from the first Assassin's Creed or something. If it's supposed to be their masks muffling their voices, it sure as poo poo doesn't sound like it.

Oh my god. The NPC audio quality in FC3 was so loving bad at times. It sounded like it came out of a PSX game.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Far Cry 3 sold well because it's pure frosting. It's the most obvious, back-patting type of design that appeals to a ton of people. That's not to say it's bad for being brain-dead, it's just an entirely different approach without many peaks and valleys.

Most things that people consider tedious in FC2 are what make it great. You're a lovely nobody struggling with everything from your equipment to your malaria, the world hates you, and when you pull off something amazing it feels so much more rewarding and personal, a result of your manipulation of the systems rather than your ability to hold down a button until everything blows up good.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I played the Far Cry 1 beta when it first came out and that fulfilled all of my desire to play that series.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually kind of miss the original Far Cry with its out there plot with scientific experiments. While the Tri gens were hilariously unbalanced, I really loved the concept of fighting through a jungle with mercs and those things out there loving each other up and trying to gently caress you up. Plus it had what the newer games seem to lack, decent indoor environments.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Far Cry 3 was like AC1. Fun for the first 5 hours but gently caress doing the exact same thing for 30 more. I guess I gotta try FC2 some time, I didn't have a good enough PC to run it when it came out, so I skipped it at the time.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm one of the few that liked FC2 because it made light important in a way I haven't seen elsewhere. If someone's in the shade they are effectively invisible and you don't get glowing xray vision and really depend on your ears. Gun deterioration can e:suck my dick wtf

Rapacity fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 9, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Far Cry 3 sold well because it's pure frosting. It's the most obvious, back-patting type of design that appeals to a ton of people. That's not to say it's bad for being brain-dead, it's just an entirely different approach without many peaks and valleys.

Most things that people consider tedious in FC2 are what make it great. You're a lovely nobody struggling with everything from your equipment to your malaria, the world hates you, and when you pull off something amazing it feels so much more rewarding and personal, a result of your manipulation of the systems rather than your ability to hold down a button until everything blows up good.

Totally agree. It's bright and colorful and there's very little investment required to get to the point where you're basically an unstoppable source of explosions. The game was designed for mindless, instant gratification.

blackguy32 posted:

I actually kind of miss the original Far Cry with its out there plot with scientific experiments. While the Tri gens were hilariously unbalanced, I really loved the concept of fighting through a jungle with mercs and those things out there loving each other up and trying to gently caress you up. Plus it had what the newer games seem to lack, decent indoor environments.

Yeah, that sci-fi flavor helped mix things up so that you weren't stuck ultimately fighting the same military dude in a jungle over and over again for 20-30 hours. That's probably the worst thing about FC2 to me, is that you had soldiers and snipers and that was basically it. FC3's animals helped reintroduce some variety into the combat and environments, but it wasn't without its flaws.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I just wish they'd stop loving UK customers around RE steam, nobody wants Uplay or origin, they will never catch up to steams market share and people don't need 3 sets of friends lists or whatever. just get the loving message and drop them jesus christ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Far Cry 3 was fun to play if desperately stupid, and probably not the sort of thing I'd ever go through twice.

Far Cry 2 was a misery to play, even dumber (even if you discount the ridiculous voice-acting), and the sort of thing I couldn't even finish.

I don't have high hopes for this one, but stranger things have happened.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

I just wish they'd stop loving UK customers around RE steam, nobody wants Uplay or origin, they will never catch up to steams market share and people don't need 3 sets of friends lists or whatever. just get the loving message and drop them jesus christ.

But aren't you excited about the Steam UBI Holiday Sale, where games will be discounted by up to (and including!) 30%?!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It has to be some retarded experiment. They don't want to gently caress with their primary US market but the UK one is just the right size that they can roll out operation "charge £50 for every game and £23 on top for the DLC" which is a rubbish name. It's either going to be a success and we can look forward to £50 being the new standard or it's going to result in people only buying one of their games at the expense of the other. Far Cry 4 and Assassins Creed release right next to each other and I really doubt the average Brit is going to throw £100 at them. People are certainly less likely to by season passes. Hopefully this explodes in their face but i'm not sure the UK market is big enough for it to hurt them.

Oxxidation posted:

Far Cry 2 was a misery to play, even dumber (even if you discount the ridiculous voice-acting), and the sort of thing I couldn't even finish.

Should 'ave taken the bus mate.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 9, 2014

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
One thing I really dug about Far Cry 3 was what seemed to me at least to a very self aware script. Vas was an effective villain. But the implication of the story was that you could not defeat him until you became him. The way you become a blood thirsty psycho and are given a chance at the end of the game to murder your friends and girlfriend and have freaky sex with Cetra the gang leader before she kills you. (I ended up picking that option) There was a level of Starship troopers style of making a satire but not obvious enough that you really see it's a satire. Blood Dragon kind of hammers those points home and make me believe more that the square jawed American hero Archering his way through the game was intentional.

On that I think it's interesting that we don't have a white hero this time. I am interested to see a different perspective and the fact that the knee jerk reaction was to assume the guy on the throne was the hero when it's actually the guy he is oppressing was so strong.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 9, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

Far Cry 2 was weird because you would end up adopting tactics used in the real world (without it actually telling you to do them), like using a car parked on the side of the road to time setting off an IED. Or how I passed up on the .50 cal sniper rifle, because the Dragunov would let me wound with a gutshot and then I could pick off the people going to help the guy I just crippled. And then as I was doing that, they would start freaking out about it.

FC2 was a Worst Person Shooter and it was awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

One thing I really dug about Far Cry 3 was what seemed to me at least to a very self aware script. Vas was an effective villain. But the implication of the story was that you could not defeat him until you became him. The way you become a blood thirsty psycho and are given a chance at the end of the game to murder your friends and girlfriend and have freaky sex with Cetra the gang leader before she kills you. (I ended up picking that option) There was a level of Starship troopers style of making a satire but not obvious enough that you really see it's a satire.

Nope, you and everyone who has ever expressed this opinion continue to be wrong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I would like very much to play this game. Slowly taking over all the forts in a giant open world (while crafting myself gun holsters out of endangered animal skins) is definitely my thing.

quote:

On that I think it's interesting that we don't have a white hero this time. I am interested to see a different perspective and the fact that the knee jerk reaction was to assume the guy on the throne was the hero when it's actually the guy he is oppressing was so strong.
I hope they didn't write him as a white savior and just change him to have come from there at the last minute. I know how hard that narrative is to escape for writers of adventure stories. If you just let your pen go without thinking very carefully about what you're doing, that's what will come out.

edit: besides that, there was one other obnoxious (and so common it might as well be beige walls on almost every game and hollywood thing ever) element to FC3: a female lead who everyone says is powerful and in charge of things, but in practice she has no choice but to rely on the male lead for everything.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 9, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Far Cry 2 was a cool fire spreading simulator and I enjoyed all that I could enjoy out of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Far Cry 2 was weird because you would end up adopting tactics used in the real world (without it actually telling you to do them), like using a car parked on the side of the road to time setting off an IED. Or how I passed up on the .50 cal sniper rifle, because the Dragunov would let me wound with a gutshot and then I could pick off the people going to help the guy I just crippled. And then as I was doing that, they would start freaking out about it.

FC2 was a Worst Person Shooter and it was awesome.

FC2 wasn't anywhere decent as an open world shooter (loving CHECKPOINTS AND JEEPS. :argh:) but it inspired you to be an absolute bastard if you just wanted to survive. Some of the poo poo you had to do in that game to play on par with the AI could get you put on a war crimes tribunal in real life if you did it there.

And if you somehow took the companion system seriously you'd inevitably do even more crazy and evil poo poo just to try to keep your little virtual friends alive so you could avoid that morphene injection animation. It was the one way you could be moral in that story and while they botched the final execution of it the underlying theme of all of the characters being evil/insane bastards (With yours being marginally better at most.) was still sort of there.

I never played FC3, but I watched people play it. Outside of the videos with the crazy bugs and animal attacks it didn't seem that interesting. Though the animals and bugs looked funny as poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HhYAGIWdk

• Locked thread