Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Looking for information on the new juju potions I found this:

i can't wait for dickeoneering!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Oh hey the new clue scroll update is out time to open my elite casket maybe i'll get something rare and uncommon and cool!

:negative: I hope they seriously buffed dragon med rates and that isn't some mega-rare loot pile

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

With Christmas coming up, it's time to start thinking about some festive suggestions for the Ninja Team to develop - today I noticed a glaring issue that desperately needs correcting ASAP: The Santa Beard can't be attached to luchador masks OR sombreros!

I posted a thread on the Ninja Team forums about this, and they need to hear from some more supporters before they add this Very Important Update. Help me GoonScape, you're my only hope.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

No pricing details from what I've scoured up, and the price change definitely has nothing to do with Jagex profits sinking sharply in the past year. If you still pay for membership with cash/bitcoins/ruples/those piece of lint that get caught in your pockets when you take your pants out of the wash, there's currently a half-price deal going on for 30-day membership cards on Amazon.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Soulhunter posted:

There's currently a half-price deal going on for 30-day membership cards on Amazon.

Quoting for visibility, stock up on membership time now before the price hike if you're interested.

SleepingPizza posted:

If they hike it up to $15 a month, I cant see anyone picking up RS over WoW.

Agreed, I'm tempted to let my membership lapse when my time runs out in a couple months depending on the new prices/bond costs. RuneScape has a ton of content, but Jagex as a company is currently in flux (Gerhard stepping down, possibly more influence from shareholders (IVP) and I'd rather wait and see how things change in January before resubbing for any period of time, personally.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 27, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Themata posted:

NEW! Dungeoneering fishing gets an amazing rework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FtIk71QBQY
More likely to get patched than anything that actually needs patching. :)

how to i mine fsh???

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Came up in clan chat, if you want announcements for events/goon party things, we have a steam group as a platform for that. Click here to become part of El Goonsquad, the elite crew of super-cool awesome Something Awful Dot Com RuneScape Players Who Happen To Also Have Steam.1

If you don't have Steam, join the 21st century ya dingus!!

1 - actually super massive nerds but i love you all so its okay

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

idiot stupid posted:

Are there any goons that play old school RuneScape? I created an account recently to check out what was new with RS3, had some fun with it, then got nostalgic for RS2 and decided to sub for a month.

I can't believe I was only in fifth grade when RuneScape 2 was released.

I pop over to OldSchool every couple days to check on my Miscellania profits, a couple other people have been active on there as well, but I don't suspect we'll see a big jump in OSRS players until there's some cross-game clan chat action going.

Speaking of OldSchool, they implemented a stripped-down grand exchange today. Surprise! Unfortunately, it's completely poo poo because pubbies voted against allowing trades to complete automatically.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:confuoot:

So... What's the point of it then? Is it like a glorified message board?

More or less, plus there's better options offsite with the Zybez exchange. The gist of it is they released a half-baked exchange just as the players requested, and now they're going to poll changes that will make the current trading post into the main game's grand exchange.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 11, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

When I want to go old school, I log in to Runescape Classic and fart around a bit.

It's neat to see the old skills on classic now and then, I've been slowly creeping towards my final goal on there since ~2003ish. Had a rough restart after transferring my gear to RS2 when it launched, but was able to rebuild through luring bots from the chicken coop south of Falador to the hobgoblin spawn west of the crafting guild.

I think it would be amusing to see a Classic server given the same support as OSRS and opened back up to the public. Wonder how much of a mess the old code was/if it's workable by anyone in the company.

The one blemish on my RSC account that I've been (slowly) working to correct:

:smith:

Current/Old Stats:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

:siren:Minigame Weekend has begun!:siren: as of 7am est (two hours ago!)

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I didn't think the EW series was horrible, outside of the tedious bar-making trolley v:shobon:v

Also:

Come play Barbarian Assault with us! This took two trips (waves 1-4, then 1-8) and I sold tickets for a profit of 1.6m in the process. DO BARBASS!

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

A strange thing happened when I home-teleported to Draynor today - has anyone else seen this?

Walking a bit further south to Draynor Market, nobody was around to help. Maybe the server was empty?

Looking further south, I went to use the fairy ring by the Wizards' Tower..

Rats, out of service! Thanks again, RuneScape bugtesters. I house teleport out and..

End up in Rimmington? This is not my glorious Elf City House, Jagex :colbert:

A mysterious "Mod Matt" appears to be speaking with the locals, but is nowhere to be seen. Perhaps this is a secret RuneScape 4 beta server???

Further north, some directions and a brief sidetrack takes me to the farm to pick a few herbs.

I climb on some buildings to the south to get a bird's eye view of the farm and Port Sarim, before heading north to the gates.

Back to Falador, and I get a notice that Mod Nick is lazing about on the job. Typical.

At the bank, I catch up to Mod Matt talking with the locals about recent OldSchool Runescape updates. What a dork, get with the times, loser.

Reaching the party hall, someone's broken the dancing knights. They stare into the void, contemplating their existence. Off to check on my magic tree!

Full grown, but unresponsive, and Wyson is nowhere to be found. As of yet, nothing works and I've only managed to gather 64 pieces of "pork chops". I assume that lovely bacon quest somehow turned every item in the game into pork products.

After pounding a few red bull cocktails in the bar, I step out to check out the castle, and fly right the hell out of this stupid game.

riot w60 falladoor@@@@@@@@ no rs4 beta graphics update!!!! fuk u jagex!!!!1 @@@ fix ur game@@@@@@@@@!!

The runescape minecraft server is http://www.thanorpheus-projects.com/about/ if you want to check this out for yourself, some folks have been rebuilding the map on a 2:1 scale for a while and it's pretty neat!

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 14, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

:unsmith:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

After getting 99 Agility the other day, I decided to unwind from the severe mental trauma I inflicted upon myself by putting together an ascension crossbow. By some miracle, I actually made a profit from it, but I can't say it's worth the effort put forth. Data on the trek as follows:

I averaged 50.33 kills per boss, and I used approximately two million coins on supplies, so the final profit is a bit off. I also died once, on Legio Quintus and his lines of douchebaggery. Took me about two days with a couple hours here and there. QBD is still definitively the better option for cash if my results are anywhere near the average experience.

To sum up the experience: gently caress Legio Tertius.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

If you're not too busy with the dungeoneering weekend event going on and/or are a F2P player, now is a great time to check out OldSchool RuneScape! Right now, and for the next few weeks, F2P servers are opened up with no time limit (the two-week trial limitation for F2P accounts is potentially being removed!).

Incidentally, the OSRS client OSBuddy (brought to you by the excellent people who made RSBuddy, the bot client everyone used pre-EoC, officially endorsed by Jagex now amazingly enough) is also having a free weekend right now through Monday the 22nd. A incredibly feature-rich client, OSBuddy has an overlay option for nearly everything imaginable, including but not limited to: a resizable game screen enabler, a built-in kill counter, timers, drop loggers, price checker, drop highlighting, idle alerters, an exp/hour tracker, treasure trail apps, a world-hopper, highscore lookups and a billion other things! For more information, check out the OSBuddy Website.

E: Oh yeah, there's some Christmas event stuff going on on OSRS right now. Come collect your free pile of party hats and christmas crackers!

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 19, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

OSBuddy should build an alternate client for Runescape Classic. I'd actually use that.

Especially if it had built in 2x/3x/4x magnification.

That would be cool as hell, but I wonder if there's anyone left at Jagex that actually worked on classic/would be able to work with the old client. I suppose they could recruit a RSC private server owner, but even then we would still have to have classic server access opened back up. Think of the glorious programmer art we could enjoy if they developed new stuff for RSC. :allears:

e: Misread that as a Jagex-developed client for RSC... which would also be welcome actually. Anyway, points still stand I guess.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 20, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

allta posted:

Aren't they working on a resizable client/mode for osrs though? I was pretty sure they were!

Searching around a bit, there's an official resizable client being worked on as of ~3 months ago but it had some glitches. Probably requires engine team work to get running properly, couldn't hurt to tweet about it to an oldschool team member and see how the project is progressing. (Maybe that's why they brought Ian Gower on to the OSRS team?)

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

idiot stupid posted:

I just made my first 100k and now am in the market for some new equipment. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck when it comes to my weapon. Is a rune scimitar my best bet? IIRC, scimitars have always been the best because of how fast they attacked(?). I have 50 attack but maybe I'm better off buying something cheaper that will hold me over until I can afford something better.

With the major combat overhauls, most same-tier weapons do the same DPS now, so speed doesn't really matter anymore (outside of legacy combat anyways). The biggest difference in DPS now falls on 2H vs 1H abilities, and even that is situational. Look up "Revolution" on the rswiki for optimal setups.

I would recommend maces for the added prayer bonus, personally. You can get them as a drop from greater demons and make some decent xp + cash gains there with your stats if you have a Darklight (from the quest Shadow of the Storm).

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 20, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Magres posted:

So begins my death watch :v:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my banning. I shall take no loot, hold no whips, summon no familiars. I shall wear no party hats and win no glory. I shall live and die at my computer. I am the sword in the abyss. I am the poster on the boards. I am the dragonfire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the barbassers, the shield that guards the realms of Gielinor. I pledge my account and honor to the Bot Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

joachim783 posted:

Don't use bone crusher with dragons

Alternatively, always use bonecrusher but combine it with those dungeonnering prayer necklaces so you can pray all task long and also

(Dragon rider necklace is good too, bonus xp for burying dragon bones)

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

For completion's sake, here's the OldSchool 2015 preview:

quote:

OSRS in 2015

2015 will be even more magnificent than 2014. We have plans to offer exciting new content, deliver outstanding content from last year’s polls and continue offering regular quality of life updates. Throughout all this though the principle of you, the community, coming first will be at the forefront of everything we do.

Content

We’re wasting no time at the beginning of this year as the snake boss makes an appearance in early January. You will be able to explore a new area of the map and pit yourselves against the hardest solo boss Old School has to offer. The rewards will see a new type of poison coming to Old School which will give you even more challenges to overcome.

Over Christmas we have been collecting all your feedback on the trading post and we’ll be polling numerous additional features to the trading post in January. We want to make the trading post exactly what you want it to be.

February sees one of the biggest updates to date hit Old School, achievement diaries. Of course, we don’t like to do things by half and want to give you want so we haven’t just got one or two achievement diaries for you… but 10!

Every area of Gielinor is included in the achievement diary update so whether you want to be a completionist or just want something a bit different to do, you will find mountains of content just for you.

March is tentatively when we would like to give you resizable mode. However, resizable mode is a very technically challenging project and there are likely to be numerous as yet unknown roadblocks we will need to overcome. So, although with our best intentions we will like to give you resizable mode in March, it may slip depending on the roadblocks.

The end result of resizable mode is going to be something we think you will love. You will no longer be tied to the small gaming screen (although you can if you like) and with a simple left click and drag you will be able to resize the game to any resolution that suits you.

Also, at some point near the start of the year, we will be offering you a slayer skill update. We will be looking at giving you more rewards for your slayer points, offering some slayer modes and balancing the slayer masters’ task lists to be more relevant. This will be a great update for the slayer fans out there.

Throughout the year you will also hear more and more about Zeah, the new continent. Zeah will allow you to experience that feeling of adventure and exploration you had when you first started playing Runescape. It will have multiple new areas such as a huge sprawling city, new multiplayer bosses and a new PvP arena. There will be something for everyone and we hope that this summer you will be able to visit it for the first time!

Later on in this year we will be looking at polling a new skill for you among many other really exciting things.

Community

Of course, Old School is not just about the new content, it is also about the community. We will be keeping all your favourite holiday events as well giving you something special for our second birthday… and who knows what will happen on April Fools’ Day.

We’ll be looking at ways to encourage more players to stream Old School and make more videos, two areas which have helped new players find Old School and old players rediscover their childhood.

We also want to focus on giving the players more opportunities to get involved in the community and more rewards for doing so. This year we want to start looking into introducing ‘community tokens’ which can be distributed through community events and via community leaders. These tokens can then be spent in a community shop for new cosmetic items and possible housing items.

Advertising & F2P

With the latest F2P trial finishing yesterday you will no doubt want to know the future of F2P. At the moment we do not know. We have plenty of information now and we need to look at that to decide on the next steps. This is likely to take some weeks. However, as soon as we have made a decision we will let you know.

While we are doing this, any new accounts or accounts which have not logged into Old School for at least 90 days will have 2 weeks access to the F2P servers.

Over the last 6 months we have been working on a branding project for Old School. This has included identifying its target audience, creating advertising and marketing strategies and creating and updating the logo. Making sure we are targeting the right people in the most effective way possible is something which will be key to the success of Old School in 2015 which is why we have put so much effort into this project in 2014. The one piece left in the jigsaw is what is happening with F2P. Once we know that then we can move forward with this.

How is Old School looking right now?

2014 has been a year of ‘question answering’. We wanted to answer the questions of bots, Grand Exchange and F2P.

We’re well on the way of answering the question of the Grand Exchange after we have introduced the Trading Post and with some updates you should have a trading system which really works for you. The same goes with F2P, hopefully we now have enough information to make a final decision.

Through various strategies, including the introduction of ‘bot worlds’, improvement of player watch and bringing Mod Weath into the team we have managed to reduce the amount of bots in game by 70%.

Despite the considerable reduction in bot numbers we have seen a growth in players of over 15% during 2014 hitting a peak of 115,000 players logging into Old School each day. With all the exciting things planned for 2015, we expect this year to be even more successful than 2015.

To discuss this, please go to the forums.

Mods Archie, Ash, Ghost, Ian, John C, Mat K, Reach, Ronan and Weath

The Old School team

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Themata posted:

Hankering for some OSRS fun, I checked in on what exciting things were happening!

We just got a new solo boss yesterday on OSRS, the snake-god of the Poison Wastes, Zul-rah. Release preview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69CrNcVa7TY

The fight plays out similarly to the QBD on RS3, with unique drops including a best-in-slot melee helm, staff-modifiers for the best-in-slot staves, and a blowpipe that consumes darts as ammunition. All of the new equipment gives a chance of inflicting a new poison that ramps up from 6-20 damage per poison tick.

The blowpipe adds +60 accuracy and +40 strength to the base stats of the darts loaded into it and fires at dart-speed on rapid. As a result, it's hilariously broken for PvP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQa6dwChrO4&t=60s

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 9, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, but it's crippled by requiring the other side to confirm the transaction, rather than automatically being processed.

Wrong. The full-featured Grand Exchange is being polled right now, per this Dev Blog. If it passes the poll, we get a GE identical in function to the RS3 one.

VVV Only failing by 0.7% right now, and slowly trending towards the 75% pass threshold. The results were at ~72-73% yes when the poll launched, and the poll runs until the 18th.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 14, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Themata posted:

Honestly Jagex should just say gently caress it and pass it anyway even if it fails by 0.01%, cueing the dark era of the 0.01% being neglected.

Agreed, spamming chat in lagging crowds/chasing down pubbies to buy/sell things is tedious as hell. Returning the Grand Exchange to the game will be a welcome modernization.

Even if this poll fails, the options for the backup poll more or less offer a World of Warcraft auction house and that's still a huge step up from the current standard.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

As a follow-up to the OSRS Grand Exchange poll-chat from the other day, the 75% voting threshold has been broken! Providing the results stay above 75% through the weekend, OldSchool Runescape is getting a full-featured Grand Exchange!

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

simosimo posted:

Can you explain why?
The common opinion on other communities is because there are no microtransactions and none of these promotions:

joachim783 posted:

Ready your socks and prepare your banks because the next double xp weekend has been announced.:dance:

An overview of the major differences between OSRS and RS3:

Design Philosophy:
RS3 has big, flashy updates that look and sound great, as they should, given the budget and team members allotted to the main game. The few quests we've gotten in the past few years have been exceptionally polished and generous in their rewards and world-building lore. Unfortunately, they also have a lot of wasted talent going into the MTX shops. Overall, the balance and quality of quests, rewards, etc. are pretty well done on the main game, but lack of reasons to replay content outside of massing more bonus experience/$$$ tends to kill off minigames/monsters that are sub-optimal. Making Silverhawk feathers/boots, portable skilling stations, and protean items available through other means would bring value to long-dead skills/content, but Jagex has no intention of doing that right now by all appearances. There's good content available, when elements of it aren't being parted out for MTX promotions (Portables were originally meant to be a reward from the Inventor skill :eng101:).

OldSchool tends to stick to Ninja Team styled updates. In fact, a number of ninja updates are based on OSRS updates, for example the miniature boss pets were previously OSRS-exclusive content. The grind for combat skills has been made considerably more AFK through a minigame called the Nightmare Zone, as well as by boosting Pest Control experience rates to their former levels. As far as big flashy content goes, Oldschool is lacking. There have been no new quests released for OSRS, and little to no graphical reworks. With that said, there is some ambitious content coming down the line, including a new landmass/continent called Zeah which promises value for under-utilized skills (Firemaking was specifically mentioned) as well as ten achievement diaries set to be launched in a month or so. Many updates have been quality of life improvements, with a large focus on Slayer, bossing, and PvP in the last year.

Graphics:
OldSchool has shittier graphics, examples of programmer art like the Lava Dragon can be found here and there in new content. There's been a few graphic design artists cycled through the OSRS team, producing items such as the Dragon Cane, Odium Ward, and Trident of the Swamp.

In terms of quality graphic design on RS3, look at the Elder God quests, the new Elf City, or basically any grandmaster quest released in the past ~3 years.

Community:
It's poo poo for both games. Don't talk to pubbies. RS3 has the clear advantage due to the clan system.
(Oldschool has an active PvP/duelling community, if you're into that.)

Power to the Players:
RS3 runns PttP polls regularly as a means of checking feedback ("Did you enjoy this content? Wanted to play, Didn't want to play, etc") and occasionally for decisions on which new quest/skill reward to develop. One of a Kind and most of the Elf City content was voted on this way, among other things found in this archive.

Oldschool takes a different approach to polling, requiring a 75% supermajority to pass any polls, with questions limited to Yes/No, Pass/Don't Pass questions. Often these will be no-brainer questions like "Do you want more bank space?" and "Would you like X Item(s) graphically reworked?" but there's always one or two game-changers like the current Grand Exchange poll that have potential to affect the whole game.

Development Teams:
Oldschool has a smaller development team, but it consists of long-term Jagex employees. Notably, Ash and Ian Gower are prominent in content development and engine work, respectively. RS3 is following the lead of OSRS by dividing up work into smaller teams of developers now (ex: Ninja Team). Less people, less obstruction of work, less delays for reworks/redesigns/approval, etc. Of course, OSRS does have generally less-balanced updates as a result, but the mods tend to step in and make changes in particularly egregious cases.

Oldschool has developers who make dungeon sex jokes and name ducks after their twitch streamer waifus. RS3 has skeevy bronies, elf cosplayers, and Grand Poobah Markdonalds. Both sets of developers are pretty loving weird.

Overall:
Play the game you like better, both are solid choices if you like RuneScape at all. If you want the old combat system instead of legacy mode (which is really just reskinned momentum, total let-down :argh:), play OldSchool. If you want flashy graphics that scale better with your screen size, and less grind overall, play RS3.

I get the impression that most people who play oldschool play it for nostalgia or the potential for a different development path from the main game. Some content is being redeveloped for OSRS with attention paid to their effects on the original game (i.e. Corporeal Beast shields were released, but modified from their original properties. God Wars Dungeon was rebuilt, with new items added to balance out the spread of rewards among bosses (Staff of the Dead (Staff of Light) was added to Zammy GWD, Armadyl Crossbow to Sara GWD). A major clue scroll update was released last year with new riddles/puzzles sourced from the community, and a variety of new rewards of varying usefulness added (Robin hood body, prayer sandals, new god books with different stats from their original implementation), ring imbues originally associated with Mobilizing Armies were added to the Nightmare Zone (Dominion Tower) minigame. There's a ton of content that's been added since OSRS relaunched, I'm tempted to put together a proper summary of it all at some point, as there doesn't seem to be any official archive of updates.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

simosimo posted:

I bet you can't transfer dudes can you? :(

Nope, not even a 1:1 transfer of your 2007/RS Classic stats. Frustrating, but there's "fast" ways of catching up in combat at least.

Melee:
Waterfall quest for quick levels -> quest like crazy for xp -> Nightmare Zone from 60-70 Attack + Defence -> 6 Hour AFK Normal Mode Nightmare Zone in Guthans armour -> 99 Melee Stats

Alternatively, do Slayer from 60+ Attack.

Magic:
Google "OSRS Splashing" -> Acquire Smoke Staff (Unlimited Air + Fire Runes) -> 6 Hour AFK Splashing -> 99 Magic

Ranged:
Quest for levels or AFK Darts/Knives at Yaks -> Chinchompas to 99 OR Acquire Toxic Blowpipe -> Nightmare Zone for 80k+ xp/hr and profits in the form of herb boxes and secondaries or enchants for items.

E: Look into getting OldSchool Buddy if you intend to play OSRS for any length of time, it's got a bunch of nifty little widgets for quality of life stuff.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 16, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Yaks just have a ton of hp and low defense, same idea as killing Experiments or Rock Crabs, but Yaks can be safespotted. Not meant to be as fully afk-able as the 6-hour splashing or guthans methods, but still quick for early levels.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

The old friend chat for OldSchool used to be El GoonSquad, but the name was wiped out when they cleared out inactive accounts a while back. It was rarely used anyways, but it might be useful to have one again. I've created a new account named ScapeGoons for use as a friendchat and sent off the login details to Pizza Lady (check your steam chat).

If you're on RS3, use the regular clan chat instructions in the OP. If you're on OldSchool, use the ScapeGoons friend chat or mumble/steam/tin cans with string.

if you're on regular runescape consider joining the friend chat to talk with us lonely oldschool goons

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

In OldSchool related news, today's patch notes are up.
  • Snake boss got its drop table nerfed, predictably
  • 200 Extra bank spaces added
  • Ava's devices now fetch arrows regardless of where they land (firing over rocks doesn't prevent pickup anymore)
  • Maple logs inventory icon reverted to RS Classic graphics to prevent illiterates from falling for yew log/maple log scams
  • Varrock west bank northern door added in anticipation of forthcoming Grand Exchange update
Some upcoming news on the OldSchool F2P servers is set to be announced on the twitch stream on Sunday (3PM EST, 8PM GMT). Presumably, OSRS is getting the trial period for new F2P accounts expanded beyond two weeks, or lifted entirely.

Upcoming updates (in rough planned release-date order):

Some new ideas being kicked around/worked on/briefly mentioned in the weekly livestream include a hellhound boss, abyssal scimitar, and how to implement coinshare/lootshare. For last week's Q&A, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4mQc5uN4VY. This week's OSRS developer livestream begins in 15 minutes (Noon eastern, 5pm GMT?), on http://www.twitch.tv/runescape.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

How Rude posted:

Soulhunter, literally every time you post about OSRS I just see this
I see nothing wrong with that, it's obviously a properly designed walking cane. :colbert:

widespread posted:

:wtc: People are falling for that? And here I thought they could right-click to get a better view of it.
Between being able to right click the item on the first screen, a flashing :siren:WARNING SOMETHING GOT REPLACED:siren:, and the second screen where the items were displayed in text form, I really don't know how people were getting scammed but whatever I guess. Some folks just rush through trades/don't pay attention and I doubt an inventory icon swap will help those types much.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Bonds for Permanent F2P Servers on OldSchool

Live stream on the RuneScape Twitch.tv channel right now concerning OldSchool and the future of F2P servers. From what I've gathered, there's going to be a (likely controversial) poll running very soon on the topic. The trade-off proposed by the development team is allowing membership bonds to be introduced into the game in exchange for permanent F2P servers.

Essentially, the bonds will be locked to membership use only (no MTX shops ever, according to Mat K) and the income from bond sales will be used as a supplement/replacement for the old advertising revenue stream. An advertising/rebranding campaign would also be taken on as a task if the poll passes, in an effort to differentiate OldSchool as a wholly separate service and drive new players to the game. Restrictions are likely to be placed on F2P servers in an effort to prevent rampant goldfarming, yew trees and lobsters are likely to be made members-only resources.

E:An official news post has been made covering the subject in detail.

I'm not a fan of the data chart in this post, given that OldSchool's membership has actually been growing (faster than RS3 surprisingly, according to Mod Mat in a recent livestream) and the graph with it's unlabeled units of measurement uses data extrapolated from RS3's membership over time. Despite the fact that both games share a development history, OldSchool and RS3 have taken divergent development paths and are definitively different games with unique userbases.

I don't think it's fair to project future membership trends for OldSchool based on those of the main game. It would be like claiming Ubuntu's popularity will follow the same history as Debian over time, simply because they're both branches of the linux operating at their core.

I feel like this offer is potentially opening the floodgates to further MTX stuff in OSRS, but it's going to pass a vote anyways so gently caress it, bonds in oldschool, woo!! Hopefully we'll get some actual cross-game clan chat support or some quests/additional developers out of this whole ordeal.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 25, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Themata posted:

And here is possibly one of my last gifts to Goonscape (other than the adventures), the idea brought to life after a chat with Poopsocker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWyYUjTQoZ0

This is my new Favorite GoonScape Thing. :allears:

Nice job, Pizza Lady.

E: RIP PizzaScape

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 29, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Inspired by an old picture from one of the archived threads that I now can't find for the life of me:

E: other versions

V That's it!

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 3, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I made a few more, some rich goonscapers should put an ad or two in rotation.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Why killing the QBD is The Best:

e:Got my dragon defender on OSRS in <50 warriors guild tokens too, the luck is strong today.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 5, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Story Time Stream with Mods Ash, Mark, Ian Gower, Noldor, and Wilson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WEidHMKjiM

Yesterday there was a special live stream set up for the long-time staff members to chat about their experiences and the changing of RuneScape over time. In this video: oil-painted cabbages, multiple claims of creating Make-X, the real creator of RS Classic's Paint Shop Pro-powered graphics Gower's Mom did some work!, and extravagant company trips around the world.

Andrew Gower is in the process of setting up an appearance for the next story time stream, which should give some insight to the beginnings and his time as creator/lead developer.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Hey guys - looks like they made elf city pickpocketing more profitable, and it's incredibly fast AND AFK xp, especially on bxp weekend. So if you're anywhere near the high-80s of Thieving, consider grinding to 91 or so to boost for a few clans this weekend and getting that 99.

Still worth doing for the afk-ability, but I'm not sure they're actually any more profitable than they were. Spent an hour or so hitting every camp this morning and there's some improvements here and there (less sharks, more single-dose supers, no more tea at ithell) but overall its still pretty low profit per hour for level 91-98 content locked behind an entire quest line. I averaged ~100k per camp before being caught and locked out. If you're looking for hard/elite clues and afk experience it's still worth it I guess.

Dwarf traders is still the best thieving experience per hour (and considerable profit maybe?) as far as I know if you feel like setting up mousekeys and mashing 5 while you watch a movie or something.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

joachim783 posted:

PSA: don't do lava stryke wyrms because they are broken right now.

I had an interesting time of being attacked by an invisible player there yesterday, so there's just a whole bag of broken nonsense going on at lava strykewyrms right now. Echoing your statement of avoid at all costs (unless you 3-item).

joachim783 posted:

I heard that hackers were using OSRS to brute force passwords so if you don't have the authenticator that may be why.

That's what I've heard too, I thought OSRS had some login attempt lockout if you entered the wrong password multiple times? Best thing you can do is attach an authenticator to your account as soon as you get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

I'd like to see the citadel fund donor epeen-measuring highscores return at some point, I miss those from Many's era of running the clan. Seemed to get more people involved in replenishing the fund and served as a public record of how much we had available to pay out per week.

of course this has nothing to do with wanting to be up high on this list with the 130m I've tossed in

you're welcome citadel slaves workers