Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Carepost ITT: Reactive dogs off-leash in populated areas are bad no matter how perfect you think your recall is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Idiot Jack Russell owners that don't control their dogs and let them bark at and bite everything, to the point where there's several dogs in my area that attack jacks and only jacks on sight. I'll go to the dog park, some creature will be running around perfectly happy with a pack of other dogs, and then their owner sees Vanya and panics all "poo poo poo poo poo poo get him away!" because some people apparently don't have the willpower to control and train a terrier the size of a guinea pig. This goes for small dogs in general, too.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Esmerelda posted:

Carepost ITT: Reactive dogs off-leash in populated areas are bad no matter how perfect you think your recall is.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Superconsndar posted:

Unironic carepost: I hate that I can't take my more reactive dog for walks because theres always some shitlord who is too good to keep their idiot dog on a leash

we're down to like two spots we can take vecna because every moron on the planet has a dumb excuse why leash laws don't apply to them

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I'd love to work on Peeps reactivity in public but I'm going to have to muzzle train him first because if an off leash lab flails up to him it's gonna somehow be my fault when it gets it's face removed!!! Because the world should be safe for off leash dogs to harass leashed dogs whenever they choose

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Group dog training classes in outdoor, fenced areas have been a godsend for working on vex's faceeating. We don't participate in the classes but we hang around outside the fence and work on not being a shithead because other dogs dared to exist. Idk if you have access to anything like that but it might be worth checking into

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Thats a good idea tbh

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

The worst thing about reminding people about leash laws is how lovely they get about it. One woman's dog around here has hassled me and Bailey at least 3-4 times, and on the last time (after watching her scream ineffectually at the dog and then beat it once she got to it! Like, legitmately punch it while it whimpered.) I told her to keep her dog on a leash, there was a leash law, and that her dog came at me and mine in the past. She screeched that it was "an accident" (lmao no bitch I saw you walking with the dog off leash just a second ago) and I told her "I'm not blind, I don't care, do it or I'll call animal control".

She called me a psycho bitch.

(for real if I see that dog again I will call animal control because gently caress that dog and its retarded shrill owner)

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
I agree on the group training thing. I actually take Bu to Petsmart, they sometimes have classes in that little fenced off training area during off hours when there aren't many other dogs in the store and it's been helpful. There aren't any group classes in other public areas that I've been able to find here.

And yeah, even slightly reactive dogs really shouldn't be off leash in populated areas. Bu and I have had a few incidents with off leash dogs and each time the owner is just shocked (SHOCKED I tell ya!) that the dog didn't come when called. I'm sure they have good recall in most situations, but it's just risky. Bu has amazing recall and I've called her off some extremely exciting things (bikes, small running animals, other dogs she isn't in a full-fledged fight with yet but is engaged with) and I still wouldn't dream of letting her off leash in an area where we run any real risk of meeting other dogs. It's just not worth the risk. And even if your dog does have perfect recall in every situation no matter what, I still think it's rude. When I see an off leash dog, I get very nervous because most of them aren't reliable. If your dog is really that rare beast that is truly trustworthy, bully for you but I don't know that and so I'm on guard until you manage to leash your dog. That in itself is pretty rude in an area where dogs are expected to be on leash. I stay out of unincorporated/BLM hiking trails with Bu because dogs are expected to be off leash in those areas, after all. It's not that hard to respect the leash laws in areas where they're in effect.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I can't do any pet stores because people let their leashed dogs approach other leashed dogs without saying a loving word and lol. Parks are iffy depending on whether it's a popular area for people to walk their dogs, so hovering around groups meeting at a park to train would be iffy too. I've trained plenty of reactive DA shitbulls, just none that could do the damage he can in a short amount of time and lol not gonna risk it, he's a yard dog RN

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

If I could find the right situation though, training near a group would def work!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Kill all brachycephalic dogs. Yes, even yours.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
A lady in my apartment complex lets her anxious/aggressive jack russels run around the parking lot off leash to "walk" them. They follow and aggressively bark at everyone who passes. Her reaction? Do nothing, or she baby talks them. They don't have recall or listen to her in general. Sometimes they're just wandering around the parking lot because she lets them out I guess. They'll probably get run over eventually.

There's another lady with 3 toy breeds who lets them off leash (where it's specifically not allowed) at a nearby park where they go up to and bark at everyone and everything ever. I feel especially bad for people just trying to walk their own dogs. She just stands around and smokes before she eventually packs them back up into her car and leaves.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Avshalom posted:

Idiot Jack Russell owners that don't control their dogs and let them bark at and bite everything

Kerfuffle posted:

anxious/aggressive jack russels run around the parking lot off leash to "walk" them. They follow and aggressively bark at everyone who passes

what i'm hearing here is euth all jack russell owners. gotta agree w that sentiment, that is my care for the moment in this here carepost

i have actually irl mellowed out a lot about dogfeels. idec if you get your shmorkie from a pet shop, it's cute and i'll pat it i guess

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Kill all brachycephalic dogs. Yes, even yours.

Get away from my cash cow, you monster.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Rescue lady carepost itt.

Lately the other Shiba rescues have been raising a crazy amount of money (or somehow just pulling this money out of their asses) and going off to mill auctions to buy up all the Shibas. I'll take the ones the mills release to rescues but I sure as hell am not going to give them money for them, it just perpetuates the mills at the loving source.

I mean, yay for those dogs getting out of those lovely situations but..... where the gently caress are they getting upwards of 10k to buy these dogs?

Also, they always know rescues show up at these things, so the other millers will bid up the prices more than usual.

BYBs though don't bother me like they used to, but don't get upset if I say your dog is uggo, whore. Because it looks nothing like the loving standard and it's weird looking, hth.

People also always assume because I do rescue and have dogs that I LOVE dogs. No. I like my shitlords, not yours. Yes, I like breeders. Please stop proselytizing to me. Just stop talking to me in general.

Sometimes i'll lie about my dogs not being nice so people leave us alone.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Don't you shitlords live in states where cops shoot unleashed dogs? And any other sort of vauge shadow? You can even get the comunity watch guy to do it for you. North Florida cracker supremacy 4eva

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

paisleyfox posted:

Lately the other Shiba rescues have been raising a crazy amount of money (or somehow just pulling this money out of their asses) and going off to mill auctions to buy up all the Shibas.

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read on SA, and I used to troll the D&D politics threads.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I tell people Bailey isn't friendly if they approach me on a walk and it works because he's super friendly and walks towards them (soft mouth, tail wagging a little because OH BOY PEOPLE, but generally all happy stuff) and people are too loving stupid to tell angry dog from curious happy dog.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

paisleyfox posted:

Rescue lady carepost itt.

Lately the other Shiba rescues have been raising a crazy amount of money (or somehow just pulling this money out of their asses) and going off to mill auctions to buy up all the Shibas. I'll take the ones the mills release to rescues but I sure as hell am not going to give them money for them, it just perpetuates the mills at the loving source.

Jesus christ I know that the rescue lady culture has been getting out of control but this really just takes the cake

I mean what do they think they're going to do? Sure, those dogs are safe, but they're just going to use the loving money to go buy more dogs, right? I mean, it's not making the problem better, it's just kicking it down the road for the next set of dogs.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Dear friends of mine:

Please stop being a trashy puppy mill. Your poor dogs are pregnant every heat, and you wonder why one of them won't fatten up at all. Please stop selling your dogs to the trash in this area too cheap to buy anything papered, much less cared for. Yes, one of your litters basically died because you don't take care of the loving puppies, you just let them run around and poo poo everywhere. Now you're mad because you have to worm them. With as much as you're making per dog, you should be at least taking them to get their loving shots too. Or their papers.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Yeah, exactly. We won't give money to the mills ever. We're friends with the other rescues that do this, but we don't support them in this (at least my friend and I who run ours, I don't know about our other volunteers...) There's even the iffy thing of being there for the mills to dump the dogs off on us but you know, they aren't killed by sometimes sketchy means, and if they have to go, they go clean, warm and comfortable. But it just feels like, buying them at auction is just reinforcing the mess we are trying to clean up as rescues and advocates for the breed.

eh, whatever. I'm waiting for two awesome breeders to have some puppies for me anyway.

My MiL also gets her panties in a twist every time we have another foster in the house. One time she yelled at us and said "WE TALKED ABOUT THIS!!" Hubs and I laughed at her, because it's not like she gives us money or lives with us. Because lol.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Radio! posted:

Neongray I like your cat petting simulator it is v cute. That is my carepost.

Thank you!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't like it when it's in a domestic enviroment. I've petted most of the animals at the zoo before because even though it was against the rules, everybody did it backstage where the general public couldn't see and long after they're fed and full and fat, they aren't gonna do anything anyway except smoosh against it. Xerxes, the big male lion, had a backscratcher specifically designated for reaching in and scratching all over his big stupid head and he'd make the happiest, laziest moan noise when you hit the good spot :3:

But we also were aware that they were still wild animals and could gently caress us up if they so chose. We were just real good about avoidin that.

Yeah I mean I am sure there are circumstances where it is fine but so often when you see these 'cute' pictures and it's just someone waiting to get a chomp taken out of them or mauled or something. And that just gets people wanting to do it themselves and like nearly every chance a member of the public would get for that kind of contact is exploitative in some way or another. :/

In conclusion I like big cat rescue's videos because they do have a lot of big cats engaging in serious cat business and they are good about that. :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Cat lady post.

There are three or four extremely cute cats who wander our neighborhood. None of them are collared, which is a requirement in our state. At first I thought they were strays, but as I got better looks at them, they all seem well-fed and have glossy coats. Our neighborhood, like many others, is infested with urban raccoons and skunks, and we're located right next to a four-lane thoroughfare. I always get worried that these cute drat cats are going to get hit or mauled and no one will be able to notify their drat owners. Also, I'm a bad person, but I really want to steal them and keep them for myself. :mad: Neither of the males are fixed.

One cute thing, though. Every day around 5:15 there's a guy walking his cute grey and white catte up the street. :kiddo: I always gawk when I see them.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Superconsndar posted:

^ It's you, you're the person I hate, because you are going to be so upset the one time your off leash dog doesn't recall and barges up to my leashed dog that will kill it. You're the guy. Please don't freak out when my dog kills yours because it's exhausting and just ugh no

Unironic carepost: I hate that I can't take my more reactive dog for walks because theres always some shitlord who is too good to keep their idiot dog on a leash

Naw, I at least realize that my dog is the one off leash, and i'm responsible for anything that happens to him while he's off leash, and if he goes after another dog, that's my fault for not being aware enough of the situation to get his leash on him and he deserves to get his rear end beat by another dog. I usually only ever have him off leash on the trail behind my house and I'll let him drag the leash if we're alone in the park cause he likes to wind in and out of the fence, so if he doesn't recall instantly I can be right there to grab his leash if we do run into anyone else. I still shouldn't have to deal with dogs charging out of backyards when I'm in the field/trail behind my house though. I learned fast with him and how reactive he can be that if there's a chance of running into another dog, he's on the leash and glued to my shins. It took him trying to go after one other dog once (while on the leash!) to learn that its far easier to deal with him pulling hard against the leash than it is to deal with the fallout of him going after another dog, even if he is far less reactive than he used to be.

Another one on that trail: There are big signs that say "no motor vehicles allowed" and yet, this is the second time some redneck idiot has almost ran my drat dog over with their ATV. It's an area with a lot of wildlife, and no people on the side i walk him (everyone walks their dogs on the paved side across the creek, i walk mine through the grass, specifically so i can walk him off leash without running into anyone else, and negate the problem of how reactive he can be entirely). I can't wait for one of those fuckers to wind up hitting a deer full tilt.

And since its been cold and i havent been on the trail people that don't pick up after their drat dogs. Or worse, the ones that just let them out the back door of their apartment. I'm already pissed that i'm out there freezing my rear end off to walk the drat dog who wants to stop and piss on everything, dont make things worse for me when i step in pile of dog crap you left there. It's one thing when it's a bigass

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

Naw, I at least realize that my dog is the one off leash, and i'm responsible for anything that happens to him while he's off leash, and if he goes after another dog, that's my fault for not being aware enough of the situation to get his leash on him and he deserves to get his rear end beat by another dog. I usually only ever have him off leash on the trail behind my house and I'll let him drag the leash if we're alone in the park cause he likes to wind in and out of the fence, so if he doesn't recall instantly I can be right there to grab his leash if we do run into anyone else. I still shouldn't have to deal with dogs charging out of backyards when I'm in the field/trail behind my house though. I learned fast with him and how reactive he can be that if there's a chance of running into another dog, he's on the leash and glued to my shins. It took him trying to go after one other dog once (while on the leash!) to learn that its far easier to deal with him pulling hard against the leash than it is to deal with the fallout of him going after another dog, even if he is far less reactive than he used to be.

Yeah, except your dog could end up hurting another dog (or cat, I walk my cat sometimes) or a person when they try to pry him off their dog. I get what you're saying, it's just still irresponsible.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I had a hobo follow me down the street today yelling at me to let my dog off the leash or he'd kill me. Which one of you was it?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

AA is for Quitters posted:

Another one on that trail: There are big signs that say "no motor vehicles allowed" and yet, this is the second time some redneck idiot has almost ran my drat dog over with their ATV. It's an area with a lot of wildlife, and no people on the side i walk him (everyone walks their dogs on the paved side across the creek, i walk mine through the grass, specifically so i can walk him off leash without running into anyone else, and negate the problem of how reactive he can be entirely). I can't wait for one of those fuckers to wind up hitting a deer full tilt.

And since its been cold and i havent been on the trail people that don't pick up after their drat dogs. Or worse, the ones that just let them out the back door of their apartment. I'm already pissed that i'm out there freezing my rear end off to walk the drat dog who wants to stop and piss on everything, dont make things worse for me when i step in pile of dog crap you left there. It's one thing when it's a bigass

complaining about people not following rules when you've got a reactive dog off leash :ironicat:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Triangulum posted:

complaining about people not following rules when you've got a reactive dog off leash :ironicat:

no its okay you see when his dog gets hit by a car or mauled by another dog he will calmly and rationally accept that it was entirely..ahahaha

ahaha.

Put a loving leash on your dog, dipshit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Avshalom posted:

I had a hobo follow me down the street today yelling at me to let my dog off the leash or he'd kill me. Which one of you was it?

That's p. messed up avs.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

Those people that don't say a word to you directly but talk to you through your dog. Or just ask your dogs continuous questions. It's very... stupid. "Aw, you want off your leash don't you??"

No.

"Does someone want a treat??"

No.

And then you walk away fast in a different direction.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Avshalom posted:

My dog befriended a big curly yellow thing the other day and I said to its owner, "He's gorgeous, is he a goldendoodle?" and the guy got legit huffy and went "Um actually he's a labradoodle? :rolleyes:" and then walked off. I care about this.

Every goddamn time. If not this, the opposite.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
People that let their stupid loving dogs off lead to rush your onlead dogs and when your dogs react the owner yells at you to "control your nasty little dogs!!1"

Ok then I guess I will just keep my dogs in my apartment 24/7 to make your life easier.

anger edit: I wonder why my dogs are aggressive because this doesn't happen often or anything

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Panzer Attack posted:

People that let their stupid loving dogs off lead to rush your onlead dogs and when your dogs react the owner yells at you to "control your nasty little dogs!!1"

Ok then I guess I will just keep my dogs in my apartment 24/7 to make your life easier.

anger edit: I wonder why my dogs are aggressive because this doesn't happen often or anything

I have had MANY people unironically tell me that I should literally never allow my murderbeasts to leave the house because if you know your dog is dog aggressive, it has no right to exist in polite society and it's the responsibility of the DA dog's owner to keep the world safe for off leash poo poo dogs for all time. People literally seem to think their right to not leash their dog (which is usually against the law!!!) trumps the right of other people to exist in public spaces with their leashed, under control dogs, if those dogs will not be happy about being harassed by theirs.

I p much just treadmill my dogs and find alternative ways to exercise them at this point because people are just never going to keep their dogs on leashes and it doesn't matter how in the right I am; if my dogs chew up the wrong yuppie's off-leash yorkie I'm hosed and treadmills are cheaper than court.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Like, I have worked extensively with the older of my two DA dogs to make him NEVER react to being approached by an off-leash dog but it only takes once and then stress it causes him to shut himself down and glaze over while I beg some idiot to come get their loving dog just isn't worth it SO

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My parents' Dachshund is TERRIFIED of any other dog. Be it Chihuahua, or Great Dane. She can handle them from a distance and since there's no dog parks around my town, we tried a few times to take her (LEASHED) to Petsmart.
We had to stop going because other people would let their dogs rush right up to Gypsy and get ALL UP in her face. Even when I'd tell them from 10 feet away that Gypsy is scared. But it's ok because "Oh, my dog just wants to smell her! :v: He wouldn't hurt her!" Meanwhile Gypsy is squealing and trying to run away. Because she totally understands English and that this dog twice her size doesn't want to eat her. After 3 or so attempts and people just letting their pets on extendable leashes wander right up to us, sometimes practically unsupervised, we stopped going because it was doing more harm than good.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Declawing is my care subject

There is a dumb loving breeder who didn't make my cousin agree to no declawing when they sold her a "bengal." and her last three cats were fine with no claws he'll be fine too!!!

I don't get it, why would you spend that kind of money on a cat and then promptly maul it? just get it a scratching post

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dog is stupidly friendly and attention-whorey with people and people assume this also extends to other dogs. Just because my dog is extra cute and cuddly and friendly does not mean that he won't try to eat your dog. Sorry. I was going to take him to Petsmart to work on his dog reactivity but I feel sorta bad making unsuspecting bystanders my guinea pigs for testing his limits but I don't know where else we could reliably run into other dogs on leashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

aghastly posted:

Declawing is my care subject

There is a dumb loving breeder who didn't make my cousin agree to no declawing when they sold her a "bengal." and her last three cats were fine with no claws he'll be fine too!!!

I don't get it, why would you spend that kind of money on a cat and then promptly maul it? just get it a scratching post

Ugghhhhh, I don't get it. Like, if you want a pet that has a 0 chance of scratching things/chewing things/making GBS threads places/whatever, just get a drat goldfish.

• Locked thread