Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

Naw, I at least realize that my dog is the one off leash, and i'm responsible for anything that happens to him while he's off leash, and if he goes after another dog, that's my fault for not being aware enough of the situation to get his leash on him and he deserves to get his rear end beat by another dog. I usually only ever have him off leash on the trail behind my house and I'll let him drag the leash if we're alone in the park cause he likes to wind in and out of the fence, so if he doesn't recall instantly I can be right there to grab his leash if we do run into anyone else. I still shouldn't have to deal with dogs charging out of backyards when I'm in the field/trail behind my house though. I learned fast with him and how reactive he can be that if there's a chance of running into another dog, he's on the leash and glued to my shins. It took him trying to go after one other dog once (while on the leash!) to learn that its far easier to deal with him pulling hard against the leash than it is to deal with the fallout of him going after another dog, even if he is far less reactive than he used to be.

Another one on that trail: There are big signs that say "no motor vehicles allowed" and yet, this is the second time some redneck idiot has almost ran my drat dog over with their ATV. It's an area with a lot of wildlife, and no people on the side i walk him (everyone walks their dogs on the paved side across the creek, i walk mine through the grass, specifically so i can walk him off leash without running into anyone else, and negate the problem of how reactive he can be entirely). I can't wait for one of those fuckers to wind up hitting a deer full tilt.

And since its been cold and i havent been on the trail people that don't pick up after their drat dogs. Or worse, the ones that just let them out the back door of their apartment. I'm already pissed that i'm out there freezing my rear end off to walk the drat dog who wants to stop and piss on everything, dont make things worse for me when i step in pile of dog crap you left there. It's one thing when it's a bigass

I would say "I'm going to start carrying a pipe wrench again to deal with lovely dogs like yours" but instead I think I might just find some way to throw bags of poo poo at you while hollering about responsibility.

Uh um gently caress, carepost: I had somebody tell me that Amy is in fantastic shape, and she's in great shape but every time she loses 2 pounds she gets real weird thin because she must burn like 90000 calories per second. So every time I see someone with some morbidly obese lab they gasp and make soft pity noises at Amy because she's not a wedge of dog. They do this with all of my dogs. But Amy's particularly susceptible because you can see her ribs and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Naw, I at least realize that my dog is the one off leash, and i'm responsible for anything that happens to him while he's off leash, and if he goes after another dog, that's my fault for not being aware enough of the situation to get his leash on him and he deserves to get his rear end beat by another dog. I usually only ever have him off leash on the trail behind my house and I'll let him drag the leash if we're alone in the park cause he likes to wind in and out of the fence, so if he doesn't recall instantly I can be right there to grab his leash if we do run into anyone else. I still shouldn't have to deal with dogs charging out of backyards when I'm in the field/trail behind my house though. I learned fast with him and how reactive he can be that if there's a chance of running into another dog, he's on the leash and glued to my shins. It took him trying to go after one other dog once (while on the leash!) to learn that its far easier to deal with him pulling hard against the leash than it is to deal with the fallout of him going after another dog, even if he is far less reactive than he used to be.

I kicked the poo poo out of some off leash shepherdy looking dog for attacking my on-leash cat once. I would do it again.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Naw, I at least realize that my dog is the one off leash, and i'm responsible for anything that happens to him while he's off leash, and if he goes after another dog, that's my fault for not being aware enough of the situation to get his leash on him and he deserves to get his rear end beat by another dog.

I know people are kind of jumping on you here but here's the thing about that: if you and I encountered each other on the trail, and your dog went after mine, you just set my training back quite a bit. Every single bad experience my fear-reactive dog has makes her more fearful, and thus more aggressive. It doesn't matter how cool you are about it or whether my dog was totally uninjured or even if she "won" the fight, because it's still scary and stressful for her so it still is a setback, especially if your dog was the instigator. Like I said, this is why we don't go into areas that don't have leash laws, because I can't take that risk.

And I'm speaking from experience here. Bu hasn't been seriously injured in a dog fight, and on her few tangles with off-leash dogs we've encountered while walking, she's "won" all but one (and even that one was broken up without serious injury). But I still have to spend weeks carefully building her confidence back up so that she doesn't lose her mind every time she sees another dog. Accepting responsibility for causing the fight in the first place by not properly controlling your dog is, like, the bare minimum of decency here and doesn't account for the difficulty you could cause another person if your reactive dog goes after theirs.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

he doesn't deserve to get his rear end beat, he's a dog. you're the one letting an animal with the impulse control and reasoning skills of a two year old (at best) fend for himself. you're being really selfish- if your dog DID get in a fight, he's not the only one affected. i own a ~10 year old dog with bilateral hip dysplasia and arthritis. if we ran into you and your lovely dog skills, my dog would be the one paying the biggest price, even though i keep her on-leash and under voice control at all times.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
If your dog 'has a sore paw and is a bit defensive of it', maybe don't bring him to an off-leash dog park. Where he greeted one of the labs I was walking with welcoming body language and then flipped the gently caress out on her as we walked towards the water bowl, which you are camping in front of while you do some stupid fuckin PT session.

Also; if you sit down in an off-leash dog park to eat your lunch and drink hot tea (seriously, it's 40 loving degrees celsius, what is wrong with you) I am not apologising when one of said dumb labs runs up to you. gently caress you.

gently caress all these pom-a-poos, doodle loving whatsits, weird rear end loving lovely little dogs that have no training and lovely attitudes to people and a big gently caress you to their dumbfuck owners who hire dog walkers and don't tell them the little poo poo is a total fucker who will suddenly do a loving runner on a stupidly hot day and make us run. Seriously, if we drop the dog home and say 'he did a runner' and you go, 'oh yeah, he does that sometimes' i'll stab your stupid face because when the form says 'does your dog come when called consistently' you shouldn't have written 'yes' you should have written 'no, he's a shithead.'

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

aghastly posted:

Declawing is my care subject

There is a dumb loving breeder who didn't make my cousin agree to no declawing when they sold her a "bengal." and her last three cats were fine with no claws he'll be fine too!!!

I don't get it, why would you spend that kind of money on a cat and then promptly maul it? just get it a scratching post
The father of my co-worker's girlfriend is a vet and he declawed their new kitten. When I asked why and was given the whole "claws furniture" thing as an excuse all I could do was stare at him.

An actual vet, as in went to school and everything, declawed his ~6 month old kitten for inappropriate scratching. Awesome.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I was out at a park the other day and saw a tiny little fuzzball of a dog (maybe a buzzed Lhasa Apso or Pom mix) obviously a very young puppy. The pup and the owner were doing recall training with the pup on a long 20ft lead. The trainer and owner were 20 feet apart and were taking turns calling the dog between them.
I thought it was adorable except in the back of my mind I couldn't help but think "What if some loose dog runs up to this situation?" The little thing wouldn't stand a chance and could be traumatized for life. Because some asshat was letting their dog drag the leash behind them and couldn't grab it up fast enough to prevent their dog using that pup as a squeaky toy.

Also Declawing is awful. My parents declawed my childhood cat because they rescued him from a dumpster when I was just a baby. But he was a kitten and didn't have a mean bone in his body. Apparently a year or so after his Declawing, he had to have another procedure because they didn't get all of the nail bed (or something) and some started growing back ingrown. It was so painful for him and he forever had a fear of having his paws touched in any way. Occasionally he would get out (as cats are prone to do) and mom would worry sick because he "Can't defend himself out there!!" Then why did you do that to him?

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

Esmerelda posted:

The father of my co-worker's girlfriend is a vet and he declawed their new kitten. When I asked why and was given the whole "claws furniture" thing as an excuse all I could do was stare at him.

An actual vet, as in went to school and everything, declawed his ~6 month old kitten for inappropriate scratching. Awesome.

uughhh

My vet is brilliant on everything else, and probably the best one this town has, but they still offer to declaw. I must have had the most dumbfounded look on my face when the vet tech asked me if I wanted to declaw my cat when I got him neutered. I asked her multiple times to please make sure they don't declaw the drat cat.

I mean, he's a little poo poo who gets me with his claws sometimes, but I figure that just comes with owning a cat. I had to try a few different things, but I found something he likes scratching a whole lot better than my furniture.

Haven't figured out how to get him to stop gnawing the corner of the bookcase, though.

Buggiezor, my cat's a dumpster cat, too. :3:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Wannabe "wildlife rehabilitators"/animal people/hoarders who know jack poo poo about animals and medicine but keep injured, inappropriately housed, untreated wild animals in their homes for months because "it's better than them dying out there by the side of the road". And then dump those permanently hosed animals on actual, licensed and permitted wildlife rehab centers while having the nerve to be arrogant pieces of poo poo about it all. (Two cases like this in the past two weeks. One had to be euthanized immediately because its "rescuer" had so severely hosed it up above and beyond its original injury, it was completely unsalvageable. Other is pending euthanasia because its injury was untreated for so long, it is now unfixable, and surgery to make the animal comfortable as a permanent captive is too loving expensive for the center to afford.)

Also, people who hoard exotic pets for the sole purpose of bragging about it on the internet. A lot of those people are obnoxious, self-styled experts who are painfully ignorant. gently caress those people.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Esmerelda posted:

My childhood cats were declawed because the vet expressed concern that they might someday scratch us children so advised my parents to declaw them preemptively, and my parents didn't know any better (my dad especially really feels regret about that now, since his girlfriend is a PI-worthy crazy cat lady and educated him about it). They were 2 and had no issues as of yet (also they still managed to claw us plenty with their hind claws since they were only declawed in front; my brother actually has a facial scar from one of them climbing his face when he was like 8). So it doesn't surprise me, especially among older vets who are still practicing. But still :(

I'm actually okay with declawing as an absolute last-ditch effort if everything else has been tried and the cat is still very destructive. It's not good but it's better than the cat ending up in a shelter or something, and it's a bit unreasonable to expect people to live like they're still in a college dorm with lovely furniture for the 10+ years (which is an intentionally low estimate) the cat might live, if no deterrents or things like Soft Paws work. But those cases are really quite rare and usually it's just for convenience or to prevent problems that probably wouldn't arise anyway, and I get very judgy about that. I think today it's so easy to research this poo poo online, I don't understand how people can go through with it out of ignorance. I mean, who doesn't Google major procedures before they happen? I'm usually on my phone at the vet hospital looking that poo poo up so I can ask my vet any questions that I didn't know enough to ask before. It's not like a declaw is just sprung on you. It's scheduled at least a week in advance, which is more than enough time to research.

Abutiu fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 29, 2014

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Abutiu posted:

I'm actually okay with declawing as an absolute last-ditch effort if everything else has been tried and the cat is still very destructive. It's not good but it's better than the cat ending up in a shelter or something, and it's a bit unreasonable to expect people to live like they're still in a college dorm with lovely furniture for the 10+ years (which is an intentionally low estimate) the cat might live, if no deterrents or things like Soft Paws work. But those cases are really quite rare and usually it's just for convenience or to prevent problems that probably wouldn't arise anyway, and I get very judgy about that. I think today it's so easy to research this poo poo online, I don't understand how people can go through with it out of ignorance. I mean, who doesn't Google major procedures before they happen? I'm usually on my phone at the vet hospital looking that poo poo up so I can ask my vet any questions that I didn't know enough to ask before. It's not like a declaw is just sprung on you. It's scheduled at least a week in advance, which is more than enough time to research.

This is kind of how I feel about debarking as well. It shouldn't be done 99.9% of the time, but if a debarking surgery means the difference between a dog living or a dog being euthanized because its barking problems have proven to be unmanageable despite other interventions, then yeah, probably better to debark the dog than give it the axe.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

Why is it so hard to clip your cats claws? They can't damage furniture or people and it costs the price of a clipper. Declawing seems lazy to me.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I have so many, y'all.

1) Why is it legal to keep mega ~exotic~ pets like tigers and bears? I know why people do it -- they are shitheaded egomaniacs -- but why do our laws allow people to just own giant, dangerous, difficult animals AT ALL?

2) People who don't loving listen to your requests about your pet. Like what Super was saying, my husband's dog jumps up on most people despite being trained not to because people not only let her, but actively encourage it. Yes, when I'm saying "Callie, down," you should TOTALLY be scratching her ears and cooing in her face like you can't even loving hear me. Stop ruining my hard work, you dickheads. Especially my father in law, who also sneaks her people food when I'm not around, or feeds his dog people food right in front of her so she will never stop begging. Awesome!!!! Now I have to be the rear end in a top hat who keeps telling him don't pet her when she jumps up, don't give her food at the goddamn table, don't give her ice when she heard the machine and comes running, don't do all those things we don't do and have mentioned not doing before.

3) I actively discourage people from getting ferrets. If your idea of them is that they are basically just weird hamster things, I know you're just going to go to the pet store, buy a single mill ferret, and then leave him in his way-too-small cage for six months until you put him Craigslist because you "don't have time." Literally everything deserves a better existence than that. And even when most people keep it around longer without any proper care, it lives a miserable, lonely existence subsiding on the lovely, cheap food the pet store sold you, until it drops dead of some cancer symptom that would have been manageable. And then they're shocked when it's pointed out that yes all ferrets get cancer and their ferret's ~mystery death~ was not so mysterious after all if they'd ever bothered to look into ferret care and should have been quickly prevented by seeing the early warning signs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dogs were SO GOOD about not begging at the table then my friend comes over and starts feeding my dog table scraps with her fork that she was still using :barf:

It's been about 6 months and they've finally given up but still :argh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Serella posted:

I have so many, y'all.

1) Why is it legal to keep mega ~exotic~ pets like tigers and bears? I know why people do it -- they are shitheaded egomaniacs -- but why do our laws allow people to just own giant, dangerous, difficult animals AT ALL?

STATES RIGHTS GUBMINT CAN'T TELL ME I CAN'T HAVE A TIGGER

quote:

2) People who don't loving listen to your requests about your pet. Like what Super was saying, my husband's dog jumps up on most people despite being trained not to because people not only let her, but actively encourage it. Yes, when I'm saying "Callie, down," you should TOTALLY be scratching her ears and cooing in her face like you can't even loving hear me. Stop ruining my hard work, you dickheads. Especially my father in law, who also sneaks her people food when I'm not around, or feeds his dog people food right in front of her so she will never stop begging. Awesome!!!! Now I have to be the rear end in a top hat who keeps telling him don't pet her when she jumps up, don't give her food at the goddamn table, don't give her ice when she heard the machine and comes running, don't do all those things we don't do and have mentioned not doing before.

PERSONAL RIGHTS DUN TELL ME WUT TA DO DOG FASCIST

quote:

3) I actively discourage people from getting ferrets. If your idea of them is that they are basically just weird hamster things, I know you're just going to go to the pet store, buy a single mill ferret, and then leave him in his way-too-small cage for six months until you put him Craigslist because you "don't have time." Literally everything deserves a better existence than that. And even when most people keep it around longer without any proper care, it lives a miserable, lonely existence subsiding on the lovely, cheap food the pet store sold you, until it drops dead of some cancer symptom that would have been manageable. And then they're shocked when it's pointed out that yes all ferrets get cancer and their ferret's ~mystery death~ was not so mysterious after all if they'd ever bothered to look into ferret care and should have been quickly prevented by seeing the early warning signs.

RAT FASCIST OR WHATEVER FERRITS IS

Because people are stupid. These are the same people that get goats or mini horses or whatever to mow the lawn, and ignore them for months or years because hoof care?! Them critters in the wild dont get no hoof care!

I've spent many hours over the past two months doing corrective hoof work on some rescue goats. It's been.. enlightening.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Suspect Bucket posted:

These are the same people that get goats or mini horses or whatever to mow the lawn, and ignore them for months or years because hoof care?! Them critters in the wild dont get no hoof care!

What does happen to the hooves of wild goats?

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

lorabel posted:

Why is it so hard to clip your cats claws? They can't damage furniture or people and it costs the price of a clipper. Declawing seems lazy to me.

When I had cats I was really good about clipping their claws and one was still destructive as poo poo so I don't think that's really a solution. He could still tear the hell out of my furniture with clipped claws. If I cared enough, I would have had to go with those claw caps or something, I guess. But my furniture was old and the dogs are always on it anyway so I didn't really care.

I'm not defending the practice of declawing though. I'm just saying that if a person really can't hit on a suitable management strategy, I'd rather they declaw than dump the cat at the shelter or kick it outdoors. Ideally it wouldn't come to that but people are often kind of lovely.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

My Lil Parachute posted:

What does happen to the hooves of wild goats?

They travel a lot more distance and typically on more abrasive ground so they wear down naturally.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Abutiu posted:

They travel a lot more distance and typically on more abrasive ground so they wear down naturally.

Yeah they walk a million miles a day and live in mostly dry/mountainous environments.

I have to gently caress with my goats hooves sometimes *weekly* to keep them from getting too lovely because I live where it is wet as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Suspect Bucket posted:

PERSONAL RIGHTS DUN TELL ME WUT TA DO DOG FASCIST

It's me, I am the dog fascist. :3:

• Locked thread