Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Even if Rubio runs for President (which is likely), I figure the FL Dems will not have anyone decent to battle for that seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If a year from now it's looking like Sink is in the front-running for FLSEN, we can write it off as safe R.
I have to think she's done, much like Martha Coakley in Mass, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

Hiiiiiiigh hopes, the Tea Party's got hiiiiigh hopes.

I think we can all agree: :getin:, though it won't happen.
Please do this, Tea Party. It will redeem the results of this last election being so awful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really hope he runs again. It's ridiculous that he lost to begin with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

On the one hand ugh, Crist. On the other hand ugh, Wasserman Schultz.
Yeah those are not some stellar choices, but the bench is empty for FL Dems right now, so those are your best options. Ideally I'd love Grayson, but he won't win a state election.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crist in an interview today ruled out running in 2016.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...campaign=buffer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh god no

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

I can't wait for scott brown to run for the Democratic senate nomination in florida
Why are you giving him ideas, he'll probably do it at this point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aren't there people who specialize in this sort of compliance stuff for politicians? It seems like all of the stuff that did in Schock was almost insignificant as far as dollar amounts go, and if he just filed the right paperwork or structured things properly it wouldn't have been an issue.
If he had decent staff they would have stopped him from doing these dumb things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh Christ. Like we need another 6 years of him, but this time he gets to have national impact.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ted Cruz is announcing his run for president tomorrow. Can he run for both president and senate in TX?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Franco Potente posted:

I am not sure if you can or not, but it's immaterial: Cruz's term is not up until 2018.
For some reason I thought he won in 2010.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

God the FL Dem bench is so empty.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mitt Romney posted:

So the Senate is a lot less likely to go back to the Democratic party in 2016 now and the Democratic party gets a shittier leader?
Certainly seems that way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Of course we get Schumer. drat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crist already said he's not running. I guess it may be Murphy from Broward.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Isn't Rand Paul also having the same issue with running? I know for sure in that state he can't do both at the same time and I guess it doesn't look like the state is going to change that law like he wanted.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Naked Lincoln posted:

Is Rubio a lock for reelection if he runs again? Didn't Crist's campaign drain away a lot of liberal and moderate votes back in 2010? If the Democrats run a decent candidate (which I guess is the real problem in Florida) in a presidential year, don't they have at least a decent chance of picking up the seat?
Right now the only Dem who says they are running is Murphy, who I'm not confident would beat Rubio unless Rubio has some big scandal or something. Crist has already ruled it out. In 2010 Crist did take a lot of votes from the Dem candidate Kendrick Meek, but he wasn't going to win regardless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does his mom also have an unhealthy obsession with bombing a certain foreign country?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The FL Dems have pretty weak candidates. In all honestly it's been like 25 years since the FL Dems had anyone win a statewide election who wasn't Bill Nelson. In a presidential year you would think the Dems would have a good opportunity, but I think it's an uphill battle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CaptainCarrot posted:

Alex Sink got elected CFO in 2006.
Yes, and look where that got her now...oh wait....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In a presidential year he should win.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We have basically nothing down here, which is what happens when you have 20 years of one party rule.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

I eagerly await Kirk's supporters calling her a coward who doesn't support her country.
Wouldn't be the first time that worked against an actual injured war vet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Cleland

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Between that and the guy challenging Bennett in CO not running, been a good week for Senate Dem chances

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ugh I can't believe they are even possibly considering Heath Shuler

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The FL Supreme Court ordered that 8 congressional districts be redrawn (this isn't even the first time either, my district was supposed to change before the 2014 elections but that was pushed back) due to them violating our 2010 state ballot initiative. It amended the state constitution in order to force fairer district boundaries.

The majority opinion in the case specifically points out how state Republicans deliberately redrew districts against state law to favor Republican incumbents.

quote:

The 5-2 decision was written by Justice Barbara Pariente, who ruled the Legislature unconstitutionally favored the Republican Party in redrawing its maps. She also scolded the legislative leaders for destroying redistricting records and adjusting maps in secret meetings with Republican political operative to create an appearance of a transparent process while conspiring to favor Republicans.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-florida-high-court-orders-congressional-maps-redrawn-20150709-post.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are rumors circulating that Florida's current Lieutenant Governor, Carlos Lopez-Cantera (R), will be announcing his run for Rubio's seat tomorrow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/elections-2016/article25078312.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Feather posted:

It's not just incompetence, though, it's complicity. Florida is a prime example of both incompetence and complicity. And certain democrats who have some influence but aren't elected (e.g. Markos Moulitsas of Daily Kos) help with the latter significantly (e.g., in Markos' case, by effectively endorsing Republicans like Crist and Murphy in Florida). It's true it's not every state and local party, though, but generalizations aren't universally true of course.
FL is a mess because there is no real leadership to speak of, and they have no candidates here due to the party just not being competitive at all in something like 20 years within the state. The last Dem governor was in the 90s, and no Dem senator has been elected other than Bill Nelson, who is a Blue Dog anyway. Nobody really wants to run against the GOP in this state, not with a horribly incompetent party that managed to lose two easy elections against an actual criminal for governor, and again when they missed an easy layup for the 13th Congressional District due to a Congressman's death.

I'm skeptical that this will even change in my lifetime. There really isn't any real ray of hope here. They are probably going to botch the election for Rubio's vacant seat in 2016 as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His speeches during the ACA voting were amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe a judge just ruled a week or so ago that he was never legally married to his wife

Personal problems aside, he's good on most issues other than I/P.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah there was an annulment ordered because of that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Evan Bayh is the worst. I hope he never holds office again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to remind people nationally how bad our state party is when they claim that the Dems have a decent chance of picking up Rubio's seat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Scott Brown: the first person to lose a Senate vote in every state

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Considering who they just elected Governor, and the whole Kim Davis fiasco, he's facing an uphill battle

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here in FL I have to assume it will be Murphy running for the Dems, but I haven't been paying attention yet on who are the GOP candidates. Considering this state seems to never elect Dems at the statewide level anymore I'm going to default to pessimistic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's probably going to end up dropping out of the race.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

edit: With Rubio looking to have an ever increasing likelihood of being the Republican nominee things might turn pretty difficult for Democrats in Florida this cycle, even if Hillary ends up winning nationally. Major caveat of course being that if Rubio (or, hehhehheh, Kasich) doesn't win they'll get to mop the floor with whichever of the undetectable blowhards the Republicans do choose.
Eh I don't know if that makes a huge difference. I would also disagree that he has a good chance to win the nomination to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm more concerned that the FL Dems are again going to end up with a candidate who is barely left of the GOP candidate, and as a result they are going to whiff on another chance to take a Senate seat that is very much in play.

• Locked thread