Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

You've got two opposite inclinations here. The first is that the point of a district is that it has its own unique interests and needs someone to represent those particular interests. That tugs in favor of 'natural' districts: you'd want to put like people together in a district so that their representative represents those interests. The second is democracy - there's a problem when the elected representatives do not represent the electorate, and you've got a, say, 50-50 state that sends 75% of one side to Congress. This leans in favor of making each district competitive so that you avoid wasted votes as much as possible.

Going to pure competitive districts solves the second problem, but not all that well. At that point you're better off just doing a pure proportional representation system.

Given our political limitations independent redistricting with the mandate to create competitive districts is the way to go. You have to be aware though that what you are doing is basically gerrymandering - you're explicitly drawing the map to favor specific types of elections instead of creating natural districts. That's going to lead to the sort of absurd districts you see bandied about as examples of extreme gerrymandering and you've got to be aware of that and able to defend it.

Any state could already do pure PR. As far as the federal government is concerned, there's nothing prohibiting PR, and any state could immediately choose to select their representatives through PR without using geographic districts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ardennes posted:

Ultimately which is why the Democrats will have an advantage in holding in presidency but the GOP will have an iron hold on the House.

But does the country survive limping forward in gridlock for another six years?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only time to wear a hat with a suit is in weather

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the problem with the jungle primary?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Add Rep. Chris Van Hollen to the list of likely Maryland Senate candidates.

easily my preferred candidate, as it opens up the seat in the district where I live for me to run :getin:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
MIGF time to put up or shut up and run my campaign to replace him

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Chris Matthews' wife.

I'm like 50/50 on running, no joke

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

"Well, I'm different. I came to Congress when I was 27. You know when I take a vacation I don't sit on the beach, I do active things. *waves arms* And so I'm not going to live in a cave, so when I post an Instagram photo of me and my friends, and it's you know...as Taylor Swift said, 'Haters are gonna hate.' " ~ Aaron Schock, February 5, 2015.

technically, she didn't say "are"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pohl posted:

It wasn't just mileage, the guy was skimming like crazy. Flights, concerts, hotels, etc etc. He probably would have gotten away with it to, but that article about his office came out; people realized he was probably gay, and everything went to hell. Once people started digging, he was sunk. The thing to remember is, he probably could have gotten away with it if he didn't attract attention. Unfortunately for him, he was all about attracting attention.

It wasn't the office itself that was the issue, but his staff freaking out about someone wanting to write about his office

That raised suspicion

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riptor posted:

My point is she was born in Thailand

Ted Cruz clause: her dad was American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pangstrom posted:

Most of the country does I think.

It's because almost all of the opiate-prescribing doctors have come around to the fact that they were basically drug dealers in the getting-people-addicted/dead sense and that the drugs are a bad solution for chronic pain.

i disagree, opiates are awesome for treating chronic pain

• Locked thread