Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Bernie Sanders is working with a political aide to the Gore, Kerry, Kerrey, and Dukakis campaigns (insert obvious joke here) on forming a strategy around a Presidential campaign.

Now, obviously, Sanders isn't going to win the nomination, but he appears to think he's got a shot at a serious-enough campaign that he'd be able to get into debates against Hillary and push the party agenda to the left. The rejection of a Nader-esque third party bid would be key to this.

If we wants to mount a serious campaign I don't know why he would work with a political aide associated with those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Let's be clear, the debate was the term "middle-aged." I won't be dragged off into some other debate. 70 is not middle-aged even in loving old people Japan, heh. She's is a senior citizen, period. I have no problem with that, I think we should elect older people because they know a shitload more than younger people, so that's no strike against her in my book, but let's not remotely try to pretend Saint Reagan was a Spring Chicken or that Hillary is Middle-Aged. It doesn't matter how she looks, age is age, you don't get to treat it like it's part of a huge box of crayolas and go, "Well it's kind of orange."

I didn't know Obama posted on these forums!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

His highest degree is a BA in Latin American Studies from UT Austin.

We have the same degree!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

And Dubya is definitely the most politically skilled of the brothers.

It's been a long time since we've seen "Bush is a secret genius."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

For all the people still arguing about the "am running" / "will run" tense difference in Warren's statements, she's cleared that up.

What the heck is Sheila Bair doing writing for Fortune?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Martin O'Malley won't be challenging Hillary. He's starting as a Visiting Professor at the Johns Hopkins University business school on February 2.

I liked O'Malley but if he's going to teach a business school I guess someone else will be getting my vote.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A3th3r posted:

John Edwards' '08 campaign imploded because he was caught in an affair with a female staffer.

Didn't he drop out before then?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A3th3r posted:

When you're rich & powerful (or just regular ol' good lookin') everyone is all up in everyone else's business.. sort of a gift & a curse. It's safer to be ugly: nobody cares who you're dating! In fact, nobody care about you at all. I'm sorry but that's pretty much how it goes.

Seriously, though, John Edwards' campaign was basically lost at that point but that incident was the nail in the coffin, i'm afraid. He was in his 40's which is a bit young to be president unless you're JFK.

I have no idea what this post means.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yes. Nixon convinced the CA delegation to flip from Earl Warren on the train to the convention.

Why did they have to argue at all when Eisenhower was basically a guaranteed winner?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Also noticed the person giving him the shot was black and I remember that Paul has been trying to capture a bigger part of the black vote.

It's clear as a doctor that he is for vaccines but as a libertarian his underlying thing is that it's a personal issue. I think it's a bit of an extreme view and I was hoping the obvious medical/societal benefits should work warrant it but I guess his basic thought/hope is that people are smart enough to do it.

Not sure? This makes my head hurt. Help

The obvious medical/social benefits should convince him of a lot of things, but don't.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

What are the odds Cuomo gets a speaking spot?

Is there anyone in the party that likes him?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

If Biden is forced to resign over this, who would be Obama's best choice for a replacement? Elizabeth Warren? Kamala Harris? Hillary?

Uhhhh what?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Montana may move its Presidential primary to August, which would somewhat reduce its effect on nominee selection.

Why even bother at that point? That's after the convention. Unless they mean to have one in August of this year.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's had has-been status since, what, his SoTU address in 2013?

He instantly became a RINO when he tried to do something on immigration.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

W

Where were those 2% no votes for Hillary in January?

She wiped them from the server.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Full list of dogless Presidents: McKinley, Arthur, A. Johnson, Fillmore, Taylor, Polk, W. H. Harrison, Van Buren, Jackson, J. Q. Adams*, Madison, Jefferson.

* Kept an alligator in the White House as a pet, so I'm giving him a pass.

So it looks like only assholes or weirdos don't have dogs.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is this for real?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

:eyepop: Three Super PACs supporting Ted Cruz say they'll have $31m by the end of the week. They're named “Keep the Promise,” “Keep the Promise II,” and “Keep the Promise III.” For reference, Karl Rove's Crossroads network raised $32.6m in all of 2011. :kheldragar:

Why are they split up like that? Getting around donation limits?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Perry is weird on account of his very rare reasonable positions (mainly thinking of in-state tuition for immigrant kids, but also a couple other things). It's not something that lines up with the rest of his ideology either, like Paul and his faux-noninterventionism. I'm assuming some rich Latino paid him to say that, considering his HPV vaccine stuff.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah, it's good-for-bidness Tex-ervatism. There's a bill to repeal it in-state tuition for immigrant kids floating around the Texas state senate at the moment, but the word is that it's going nowhere with the big bidnessmen in the Texas Association of Business and most of the serving Republicans in the legislature opposed to it.

Because it's bad for bidness. Which means it's bad for Texas.

Actually I think you'll find it is being held up by secret democrat and notorious jew Joe Strauss.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Hillary is :siren: driving :siren: to Iowa.

What is she driving?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

So to sum up the last 5 pages. Vote Hillary because she isn't a Republican and is going to get the nomination.

I think this may be the first election I actually do not vote in. Unless Sanders actually makes some moves.

So you're moving from Rand to Sanders? :psyduck:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, in Le Claire, IA....

This doesn't look like the Scooby Doo van at all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Hillary ordered a Masala Chai tea, a Caramellow latte, and a glass of water at Jones Street Coffee, in Le Claire, IA.

His PAC has been putting out a series of campaign videos and the book tour ended back in February. I think he'll stick around until Iowa at least.

Reuters informs me it was water with a twist, Joe. You're slipping.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

bartlebyshop posted:

Polk was the last kickass president before the Civil War. He was infamous for putting forth a 10 item agenda and getting 15 things done.

Also, making GBS threads himself to death.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It's almost like your numbers go up when you get your name in the news.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

radical meme posted:

I actually believe that Latin or a romance language should be a required course in High School. So I think that's one of his less controversial stands but I appreciate his posting.

I think there's a difference between Latin and romance languages that means you can't really group them together like this.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Maybe you aught to be timg posting it everywhere instead.

edit: University of California is state owned, isn't it? I'm shocked its allowed to make political donations.

Could be people listing UC as their employer.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fluo posted:

Hows the death penalty with American left?

Opposed if you ask outright but it's not a big topic nationally.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

withak posted:

Seems like this illustrates more how supporters of each candidate self-identify when filling out forms for political contributions. Some people put down "21st Century Fox", others apparently down "Communication Workers of America" even if their paychecks come from the same place.

Do you think that CWA doesn't have actual employees?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

withak posted:

Do they really employ enough people to generate that much in contributions?

Only $1,250 is from individuals, the rest is from their PAC.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Senor Bush has a Cinco de Mayo message for other Hispanic Americans, like himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqc1KtHauSg

I'm confused as to why this is taking place in a factory.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Who else is even left in the "might announce" column? Trump and...?

Perry, Bush, and Walker haven't announced yet though everyone knows they will.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joeburz posted:

how is hispanic worse off than black, im legitimately surprised

Possibly normalized due to Obama.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Historically, that color clothing hasn't worked out well for him.

I think the problem was that color on other peoples' clothing, not his.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

That's what they said when Newt's staff all quit around this time in 2011 and look what happened there.

I mean, he lost, but uh.

Didn't this happen to John McCain in 2008 too?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This happened in 1921.

Is this recent enough for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

So..you're handwaving the discrimination I introduced to the conversation and you questioned...because your discrimination is more important?

Nice.

Here's how this all started - Bernie has a concrete plan to try and more evenly distribute wealth. Hillary has nothing.

Bernie's plan would help eradicate systemic racism with financial reform that takes more money from the rich and gives more money to the poor and middle-class. As far as actual racism like white people burning down entire towns 100 years ago...maybe if everyone was educated and had money, regardless of their race, that wouldn't happen?

Please stop posting, you make Bernie look bad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats right, no debate allowed! Shows over, go home everybody.

Should we start having a debate about whether or not climate change is real too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I concede that I may be an idiot but I still don't see why this is a huge sticking point. To effectively address racism we're going to need congress to pass laws and programs and judges to uphold them and I doubt Bernie's going to appoint rightwingers to the courts.

I think it's a huge sticking point because someone decided to come in here and opine on what ails the black community (how ignorant they are).

• Locked thread