Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

Yes, the GOP is well known for all standing together these days.

making GBS threads on Democrats is pretty much the sole defining feature of the modern-day Republican party. And since this would involve making GBS threads on a Democrat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Even if Hillary is a strong favorite for this Presidential election, a Republican will win another Presidency again sooner or later. I'm curious whether during the Bush I vs. Clinton race if the fact that the Republicans had held the Presidency for 3 terms in a row was a factor and people were just in the mood for a change already. It probably won't be a factor yet, but it might be if Clinton faces reelection even if the economy holds together.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Joementum posted:

Lincoln Chafee.

This is probably old news to you guys, but I just imaged searched this fellow and he looks just like Tom Hanks - I had no idea...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dolash posted:

Even if Hillary is a strong favorite for this Presidential election, a Republican will win another Presidency again sooner or later. I'm curious whether during the Bush I vs. Clinton race if the fact that the Republicans had held the Presidency for 3 terms in a row was a factor and people were just in the mood for a change already. It probably won't be a factor yet, but it might be if Clinton faces reelection even if the economy holds together.

Not if demographics continue to shift to the point where Texas goes blue. I think the Republican and Democratic parties are both going to have to redefine themselves. As Democrats gain a larger majority, I expect them to split along centrist/leftist lines, with the centrists scooping up more right wing votes and eventually becoming the new Republican-like party.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cantorsdust posted:

Not if demographics continue to shift to the point where Texas goes blue.

This will not happen by 2020.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Slate Action posted:

This will not happen by 2020.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/could-latino-voters-turn-deep-red-texas-democratic-by-2020/257738/

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Not if demographics continue to shift to the point where Texas goes blue. I think the Republican and Democratic parties are both going to have to redefine themselves. As Democrats gain a larger majority, I expect them to split along centrist/leftist lines, with the centrists scooping up more right wing votes and eventually becoming the new Republican-like party.

There's no such thing as a permanent majority, and each party is always going to be able to position themselves to appeal to ~50% of the electorate. If Texas eventually goes blue, you could very well find that Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania have turned red in the meantime. History isn't inevitably and inexorably marching towards Democratic hegemony.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary is :siren: driving :siren: to Iowa.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's no such thing as a permanent majority, and each party is always going to be able to position themselves to appeal to ~50% of the electorate. If Texas eventually goes blue, you could very well find that Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania have turned red in the meantime. History isn't inevitably and inexorably marching towards Democratic hegemony.

There is 0 chance of Pennslyvania and Minnesota going red in a presidential election before Texas goes blue, unless you know of some sort of imminent destruction of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the Twin Cities.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

I agree, which is why I said in the second sentence of my post that I expect the parties to continue to "triangulate." Even if a Democratic hegemony is achieved, it would fall apart as other interests split the party.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dolash posted:

Bush's loss in that election was largely attributable to Ross Perot. If Perot had not gotten into that election, Clinton might not have won and the U.S. might have become a scorched shell of a country after 28 straight years of GOP control. Perot saved the U.S. of A.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Dolash posted:

American culture has shifted quite a bit since the Reagan days. If the republicans seriously can't move past things like gay marriage they might just simply be unable to win a national election, and sooner rather than later. They also have a huge split in ideology when it comes to hispanics - the 'conservative' message is enforcement of the borders by way of Genghis Khan, but you are going to have increasing difficulty getting elected without getting hispanics to vote for you, and if you openly say that it's alright to kill Mexican people you come across in the desert or that you're all about building a giant wall to keep people out you might find that difficult. I've seen articles from a handful of old guard republicans that realizes that they've got a demographic problem that's only getting worse, but in typical American fashion they're taking it for what it's worth right now. What this translates to is that we might see a general slide towards the Democrats until (if? when?) the Republicans figure out how they can balance out the dogwhistle racism and subtly (or openly) racist policies with getting non-whites to vote for them. The first Republican candidate that's going to have a chance is probably going to be after both of HIllary's terms.

For christ's sake, the Republican field is so absolutely pathetic this time around it's almost laughable. Someone else who remembers would have to help me recall, but if I remember right Mitt got the nomination because he was the only candidate that actually came from planet earth. It was the election that gave America the national treasure that is Herman Cain. Whoever compared the first debate with Hillary with the scene from Jurassic Park was right on the money - could you imagine Rand Paul v. Hillary Motherfucking Clinton in a real Debate? Ted Cruz or Jeb could probably duck the hard questions while picking up points with the base, but in this political environment it could turn out to be the equivalent of a Mortal Kombat fatality.

Republicans are going to be around for a while, though. A lot of smaller states are fairly red by now, so we're going to see them in the house for a while coming, but coming up against 16 years of democratic presidents is going to chafe quite a bit. in 2020 They'll get the (now even more noticeably smaller) base revved up, then they'll nominate some monster who'll get smacked down easily once the rest of America actually sees them.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

Pinterest Mom posted:

There have been periods of almost complete domination of the presidency by either party, 1932-1968 or 1860-1932, don't see why it would be impossible now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Somewhere on I-80 near Altoona, PA, a woman exits her van to fill up at the station...

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Somewhere on I-80 near Altoona, PA, a woman exits her van to fill up at the station...

OK, Hillary needs to get rid of that coat and never wear it again. That's ugly.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oh for gently caress's sake.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

How.. original.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

So who's going to be the first candidate to start making memes to connect to the youth? Rand?

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Alkydere posted:

No, but I'm ready for Bill as First Laddie.

I'm behind on the thread so I'm not sure if this has been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRX5m2BtWyw

BillForFirstLady.com PAC is a project of Luke Montgomery who some might remember as the producer of the "Potty Mouth Princess" video. I'm not sure if this kind of advertising is really helpful to Hillary's campaign or not.

Also there is a coloring book, one that I would have serious reservations about giving to my kid:
http://billforfirstlady2016.com/pages/get-your-free-printable-white-house-wonder-woman-coloring-book

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

What is she driving?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mr Jaunts posted:

So who's going to be the first candidate to start making memes to connect to the youth? Rand?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mr Jaunts posted:

One does not simply walk into Washington?

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

Is there any chance huckabee will run?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

eternalname posted:

He's running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra posted:

What is she driving?

A van that she calls "Scooby" because she says it reminds her of the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

:golfclap: Perfect.

e: drat, that permanent sunglasses tan Rand has is really unsightly

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

eternalname posted:

I expect he'll play around the idea of it for a few months to raise funds and sell poo poo and then resume not being a contender; I think he could get a large chunk of the evangelical vote but I don't think people know him well enough on economics and business to go for him over Rand and he doesn't have the anti-government rhetoric pinned down enough like Cruz or Rubio in my view.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nietzschean posted:

I said if the next president was smart, not if the next president was a democrat. It blows my mind that they cannot get their poo poo together and stand by a message or voting priority like the GOP does.

A smart Democrat would pivot it into the refusal of congress to properly address the problems of the 2008 recession, particularly with regards to attempts to chip away at the milquetoast Dodd-Frank act. Especially since they should expect a recession to be on the way and should be under no illusions of the Republican Congress actually doing anything to stop it. Just hammer away at it from day one, then drop the whole thing on the Republicans' laps and start a national Told You So campaign.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

I don't think the elderly should do long distance driving.

Joementum posted:

A van that she calls "Scooby" because she says it reminds her of the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo.

I find human being Hillary Clinton disturbing and wish to return to the ice cold robot we had before.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

A true woman of the people.

eternalname posted:

He quit his show (aka the GOP Primary Grand Prize) earlier this year. He's so running.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Also there is a coloring book, one that I would have serious reservations about giving to my kid:
http://billforfirstlady2016.com/pages/get-your-free-printable-white-house-wonder-woman-coloring-book

The story behind the stained dress is more bizarre than you can imagine...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

The story behind the stained dress is more bizarre than you can imagine...

These ghostwritten campaign books are getting a bit avant garde.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I'm gonna go ahead and make my prediction that huckabee gets the nomination if he runs. He seems like the only guy up there that would be appealing to both establishment and far right people, is likeable, and doesn't have something obviously wrong with him at first glance.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I don't know, this seems like an obvious "I'm running for Prez" from Rubio, but he could be looking at a more long-term approach --- VP slot this year, or taking on Hillary in 2020. Huckabee won't run, he'd just split the tea party/evangelical vote with Cruz.

If Rubio runs, and then if Scott Walker runs, I'm guessing one of them drops out by September.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

eternalname posted:

Huckabee ... doesn't have something obviously wrong with him at first glance.

His campaign email list is currently being used to sell mail order DVDs promising to cure diabetes with Bible verses.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

Joementum posted:

His campaign email list is currently being used to sell mail order DVDs promising to cure diabetes with Bible verses.

Lmao, is that what the diabetes kit actually is? I hear that ad every day when I'm listening to talk radio. No wonder they don't go into specifics.

Regardless, that's funny, but I don't think its a campaign sinking issue.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

That's just evidence of how far ahead of the pack he is fundraising-wise.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Then 2014 happened and the Republicans in Texas gained among the Latino vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

eternalname posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and make my prediction that huckabee gets the nomination if he runs. He seems like the only guy up there that would be appealing to both establishment and far right people, is likeable, and doesn't have something obviously wrong with him at first glance.

If he gets into the race in a serious fashion, he gets nuked. The only thing people will hear of him is that he pardoned a serial rapist and a cop-killer. Regardless of whether those pardons were legit (who knows) I doubt that the narrative will care.

• Locked thread