Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

An interesting analysis / projection, but do you have any polling on that? I can't find anything past 2008, and the polling at that time was (appropriately) dismal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

memy posted:

Is it just me, or does Kasich have really small hands?

:eng101: nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

:drat:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Kinda terrified for Are Country right now

Consider whether (in light of current polling, Trump's statements, and Trump's acumen or lack thereof) Trump is likely to defeat Hillary (assuming she is the Democratic nominee); this may make you feel better to some degree.

e: Also this:

Mr. Pumroy posted:

embrace terror

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

If he bullies her, he loses...almost automatically.

See, e.g., Rick Lazio.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Oiled and Ready posted:

He won't walk back the wall because, if you forget for a minute whether it works is relevant, it's a huge makework/national-identity jobs creator and it gives him an excuse to slap tariffs on Mexico and call the benefits of NAFTA into question.

I want the wall and I don't care if it keeps out a single illegal.

While only about half the length of the Ming wall, it would certainly rank as one of the most massive public works programs in history.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Nah. Trump is still better at this game than he is.

I can't imagine Robot Rubio actually being able to beat Trump at Trump's own game - maybe some prepared statements and the surprise factor will carry Rubio forward a bit for now, but over time, and especially in person against a Trump expecting this sort of attack, I just don't see it.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

2016 Republican Primary Thread: "He gay." - Donald J. Trump

2016 Republican Primary Thread: Gay Foam Party

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Brannock posted:

He's already all but thrown in the towel. He's staying in to prevent his supporters from going to Trump.

Is there polling to suggest Kasich supporters would find Trump appealing? They seem like polar opposites as candidates.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

i am excited to live in a world where insult comedy decides the nominee of a major political party

i hope we get rap battles in the next cycle.

:agreed:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

This primary season is truly the gift that keeps on giving. If only it never had to end.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

William Bear posted:

Exactly. Nominate someone who isn't Trump, and the GOP loses its legitimacy as an advocate for conservatives. Conservatives spoke!

If you're a GOP elected official other than Cruz, you may well conclude there is no good option just now, and that the down ballot impacts are worse letting Trump through than shoehorning Cruz in (even with the loss of credibility associated with denying the win to the plurality candidate).

Bonus if you hand the nomination to Cruz: If he loses in the general, which seems likely, you have permanently removed him from at least presidential politics, and, depending on how bad the loss is, diminished him further as a matter of Congressional politics.

E: Bizarre auto correct changes reversed. :argh:

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 10, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

That DICK! posted:

You make a grown man cry

I for one am crying tears of joy.

Never did I imagine the GOP would nominate something this close to an actual, literal clown. Truth is stranger than fiction I guess.

"We lose with everything." The unreflective foreshadowing is wonderful to behold.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

This speech is anything but rousing. But even so the crowd is oddly subdued. The golfclapping and halfhearted cheers just feel really off given that he just tied up the race.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Oiled and Ready posted:

It is a meant as a constant reminder that the sovereignty of our nation is not negotiable, that alone is a good enough reason for a $20Bil Keynesian public make-works project for me. Anything else is gravy.

Not just any public works project; given the rhetoric we've heard on its planned scope and beauty, I would envisage a vast, sprawling monument to crony capitalism: a 2000 mile long Trump condominium complex complete with marble, gold trim, artificial waterfalls and snipers to engage the feared interlopers. A wonder that will, like the pyramids of old, require years of backbreaking effort by underpaid laborers in the sweltering Southern heat. Truly it will be glorious.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Okonner posted:

This Cruz news is perfect. Before it was just Reince and Paul Ryan saying "we'll bend the knee if you just promise to leave our party platform alone". Trump could have gone for that, I doubt he'd care about the differences. But if Trump gets wind that the party platform is now something that Lyin' Ted is trying to steal from him he's going to be way more willing to go scorched earth.

Apropos of Trump leaving the core tenets of the party alone:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-reversal-says-wealthy-americans-153448020.html;_ylt=A0LEV7lUqS9XvV4AlyknnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyajU3

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Hillary, for everything else that she is, doesn't have that problem. I've never once seen her lose her cool in a debate, nor have I ever really seen her even stumble over her words in an answer the way Obama did. If she gets on the same stage as Trump, she will goad him into doing something stupid--and because he's Trump, he will take the bait and say something hideously offensive.

Hillary devastated Rick Lazio in just that way.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/hillary-clinton-rick-lazio-2000-senate-sexism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJZo4UeTYQ

There will be a lot of non-crazy people paying attention to her historic candidacy in the general, and I don't see this sort of thing playing out any better for Trump than it did for Lazio.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Montasque posted:

2. The Neo-Cons are now with Hillary.

wait, what?

~1600 posts since i last checked this thread - lots of neocon support for a third party / never Trump candidate, but i hadn't seen much overt support for HRC. who came out for her yesterday?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Montasque posted:

Jennifer Rubin and Tom Nichols, two neo-con writers. It was less coming out, and more a 'yay Hillary' type moment... They are warming up to her.

thank you! just read those pieces and :eyepop:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

shiksa posted:

Its been a day and no one from trumps team has been able to cobble a competent response to Hillary

Jesus Christ guys, at least try.

Trump's vacuous name calling will, unfortunately, be good enough for many, many people

i do hope her briefing will get some coverage, though

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

From HRC's Briefing site:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkCcjnCWEAIRfBa.jpg

:vince:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

"Plane heading for the mountain"

Indeed.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

No Mans Land 2 posted:

Haha lets watch everything Trump says and does and try to criticize it all smugly

New thread title

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Well the Atlantic has excoriated Trump for his speech today.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/trump-speech-orlando/486878/?utm_source=atlfb

Highlights:

quote:

In a fiery, disjointed speech in New Hampshire on Monday, Donald Trump angrily denounced the attacks in Orlando, political correctness, immigration, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and the American Muslim community.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee reiterated his call for an indefinite ban on immigration from Muslim countries, and asserted that the president would be empowered to establish such a ban on his own. “The immigration laws of the United States give the president the power to suspend entry into the country of any class of persons that the president deems detrimental to the interests or security of the United States, as he deems appropriate,” Trump said. That’s an unusually expansive view of executive power on immigration, building on President Obama’s own actions, which many conservatives have criticized as overreach.

His assertion of power was one of several striking moments in the speech, which Trump read sometimes unsteadily from a teleprompter, occasionally ad-libbing interjections. (Although he has given a few such speeches in recent days, he has still not quite found his rhythm, nor have his speechwriters found a way to write in a way that mimics his distinctive voice.) In a vague line, he demanded that President Obama “release the full and complete immigration histories of all individuals implicated in terrorist activity of any kind since 9/11,” without differentiating those cleared of any involvement.

He also delivered a thinly veiled threat to American Muslim communities, accusing them of sheltering terrorists in their midst. “We have to form a partnership with our Muslim communities. We have Muslim communities in this country that are great,” he said, but added: “They have to work with us. They have to cooperate with law enforcement. They have to turn in the people who they know are bad. They have to turn them in, and they have to turn then in forthwith ... They know what’s going on.”

quote:

Trump’s speech was light on policy, suggesting a belief that if he repeated the phrase “radical Islam” frequently enough, it would solve the problem. While he complained that Obama and Clinton were unwilling to recognize terrorism, he himself put forward no plan for how to counter it, other than attempting to prevent would-be terrorists from entering the United States. (Clinton’s proposals have also been laughably vague.) He did not propose any specific steps for countering ISIS, saying only that he would “have an attorney general, a director of national intelligence, and a secretary of defense who will know how to fight the war on radical Islamic terrorism,” and that NATO should focus more on terrorism.

e: But Wait! There's even more:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/trumps-implication-obama-was-involved-in-the-orlando-shooting/486770/?utm_source=atlfb

quote:

The idea the president is a Manchurian candidate, a mole or agent for jihadism is a stunning accusation, even by the standard of a presidential campaign in which Trump has delivered a series of breathtaking statements, from comparing a rival to a child molester to being unable and unwilling to differentiate one of his policy ideas from Nazi policies.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 14, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

CalvinCoolidge posted:

He's going to destroy her at the debates.

He's 6 ft 3, he's going to be looking down at pipsqueak Hillary the whole time. And it's gonna be embarrassing for her folks. She actually has to debate someone other than Breadline "Fugget about da' drat Emails" Bernie.

Haha yeah that worked great for Rick Lazio.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

if there's anything women love more than mansplaining, it's old bombastic guys with combovers who bully women

~looking forward to the debates~

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

The look of Cruz and that guy in the last picture.

"Sir, are you aware you are about to be trapped in an elevator with the Zodiac killer?"

that was my reaction as well

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

use of the word "decrimental" was a nice touch, trolling is so often low effort these days. well done :golfclap:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Blatantly undemocratic selection processes are looking pretty good these days.

:agreed:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Is the Republican dream America an America where everybody works in factories on 20 hour shifts with no safety regulation?

"We are going to *win* the race to the bottom, folks!"

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

:lol:

I don't think the pro-Brexit stuff is a terrible idea for Trump but I certainly wouldn't phrase it like this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/746465982026289152

Vote for me and you will DESTROY the US economy!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

If it was a sheriff star, then Trump deleting the tweet is proof positive that Trump's campaign is now run by the forces of political correctness, and that PC is so important to his donor-run campaign versus when he was self-funded and independent.

Makes you wonder what other major facets of Trump are compromised.

Is there an unironically pro Trump corner of the Internet? Because if there were, Trump's requests for donations, submission to GOP spin doctors, etc., would be a glorious opportunity for concern trolling.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Slate Action posted:

National GE poll - Ipsos/Reuters
7/2 - 7/6 - 1,543 RV
this is a weekly tracking poll

Among Independents: Clinton 24, Trump 24

Surprising that it's this tight among independents. Also, comparing slides 10 and 12, it looks like (in very rough terms) the 29% of independents in the neither / other category break mostly for Gary Johnson (Libertarian) when he's added to the list.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

rip vile :smith:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Cronodoculous posted:

Well that was disgusting and evil.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

These speeches are so full of vacuous innuendo: "Blue lives matter!" Who exactly is saying "Cop murder is fine, it's all good"?

Statement after statement is like that. How can be persuaded by this? :iiam:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

go3 posted:

revolting over oppression is bad
revolting over taxes is a-ok

apparently revolting because the federal government doesn't want someone literally stealing public pasturage and offices is also ok

they're probably upset Timothy Mcveigh is unavailable to speak

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

God Himself is commanding us to kill people thousands of miles away to protect the interests of America

Allahuu Akbar!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

A commander in chief who insults Muslims and launches a ground invasion of Syria!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Pen Expers posted:

Hell is on the way

New thread title

• Locked thread