Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/jim-webb-women-cant-fight/

Yeah, that whole "win back southern/appalachian whites" thing doesn't work if you turn away the Dem base of single white women and minorities. No way Webb gets anywhere in the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Who eats gravy on their grits?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Chris Christie posted:

(1) drat. Clinton was prime-time ready even then. Why the hell didn't the Democrats run Clinton in the 80s??? Those laughable clowns Mondale and Dukakis over this guy???

(2) Just about any one of the Democrats who spoke would be completely electable in my part of the country today. If I didn't already know who all of them were, and if they weren't clearly in the 80s, I could guess they were a bunch of establishment Republicans, or as we are affectionately known now, RINOs. If Democrats don't like the sea of red across the south and midwest, or GOP House majorities near historically high levels, MAYBE they should try running normal people like that instead of insane leftists who have nothing more to offer than TAXES TAXES TAXES and shrill harpies screaming about our scary guns and the need to ban them. I'm temporarily in Virginia, and while the Democratic party in this state DOES actually run normal human beings for the 2 senate seats (which, SUPRISE, they actually win doing so) they run complete nutters for the house. The congressman in this district has been in the house for over 2 decades now. Maybe they could try running a sane person against him instead of just forfeiting the seat with some new fruit-loop hippie every 2 years?

If people actually wanted centrist Democrats in office, they would still be there. As a red state Democrat, trust me, they run, they just don't win anymore.

Ed; also wow "Shrill harpies?" can we avoid using overtly misogynistic language ITT, please?

oldswitcheroo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 21, 2015

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Chalets the Baka posted:

Have they? From my perspective everyone is shifting more and more to the right, doubling-down on supply-side trickle-down bullshit regardless of affiliation.

I think he was referring to the mass exodus of Senators like Landrieu, Pryor, etc. who formed the right side of the Democratic party. Now that they're gone, a more liberal Senator is now the median Democrat, if only though attrition.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

FMguru posted:

Palin's word salad is terrible (and getting worse) but until recently it was no different in content than most other Republican politicians opining about the issues of today. What she said wasn't any more ridiculous than listening to Mike Huckabee talk about the deficit or Rick Santorum discuss events in the Middle East. Her problem was that her flavor of nonsense didn't sound like the usual platitudes that come out of conservative pols - it had this rough, unpolished, homespun quality to it that it made it stand out (which has also served Palin well - she doesn't sound like the rest of the crowd, and her particular phraseology strikes a chord with a certain subset of the base in a way that smoother Beltway talkers like Gingrich and Rubio do not). She sounds more ridiculous that the rest of her colleagues, but if you parse their words, they're all equally nonsensical. Palin just never measured the particular cadences of Beltway nonsense. She speaks Backwoods nonsense - same garbage but with a different accent.

Her last couple of appearances show a considerable degeneration in her speaking. I don't know if it's drugs, incipient mental illness, or her just not giving enough of a gently caress to bother even trying to string together related thoughts (I'm betting on the latter), but her recent total incoherence has been genuinely alarming. Nice pick, John McCain.

Is she really getting worse? Her Alaska Gubernatorial farewell address was completely incomprehensible to me. I remember there being some "salmon swimming upstream" similie that didn't go anywhere. The Iowa speech was bad, but it was probably only as bad as the rest. This isn't really an abberation with her, this is how the woman talks. Like a kid in junior high scrambling to give a report on a very complicated book they only read the cover of and just bombing terribly.

Please let her run....

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Walker doesn't have the religion, does he?

You're right, that whole Beyonce thing seemed like a major slip up for Huckabee. I wonder if he's getting old or if maybe being on Fox has weakened his instincts.

Everything Huck says sounds just like your local Southern Baptist preacher. Huck preached in Arkansas for decades. He had to come up with a new sermon every single week, and if he was like any baptist preacher I've ever seen, what he does is recycle the same poo poo but set the pop culture references to 3 years behind current popularity so the congregation will actually understand it. It doesn't matter what pop culture IS, whatever it is, it is ungodly and from the pulpit you will hear about how it is reflective of a world covered in sin, that you should reject and save yourself from. A woman in tight clothing? She's a whore, or at the most 'generous', causing 'unpure' thoughts and exploiting herself and the men around her. Anyone at all in your pop culture talking about or having sex outside of marriage or homosexuality (not sure if Huck knows that Beyonce is married, but this goes way beyond just them), they're undermining marriage. Hey, does that pop culture you consume include anyone using any mind altering substance, you're promoting drugs to kids.

For those of you who know about Southern Baptist theology, you know how important the idea of a sin cursed world is, and it is important that the line between what is godly and not godly stay firm. Not that that causes the congregation to stop interacting with pop culture, it just gives them a sense of superiority about the whole thing. Like when Disney started having a gay weekend, my preschool, which was in a SBC Church, stopped showing any Disney movies, though most people were just frustrated, didn't care, and certainly didn't keep up the boycott in everything, but every Disney product in the school from then on was double checked for "ungodly" influence, for years after that.

To me this sounds like Huck thinks his sermons from early 1990's Arkansas can double as stump speeches.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Is the consensus on Lindsey Graham running that he is doing so to try and pull the field into a more hawkish position?

That said Graham vs Clinton would be all Benghazi all the time.

No one is going to take Lindsey Graham seriously except John McCain.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Right, Hillary will run on a pro-Obama campaign while everyone else runs on an anti-Obama campaign. No way this could fail for her at all, nosiree.

Jeb '16: Surrender yourself and face the carnage

alternatively, Biden '16: Save us Joe, you're our only hope

It's really not a bad plan if turnout doesn't suck.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

ErIog posted:

The best part:

:boom: Jeb's got a 21 year old yard sign coordinator in his corner. Pack it in Hillailures! :boom:

Watch it! All those signs are going to show up and vote!

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Jindal's governing record is atrocious by any measure. There's no way he'd win LA in the primary.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Look at Hagan in NC last year. Her loss was in large part because of not doing the legwork, and cannibalizing election day votes through early voting.

Excuse me, could you elaborate on what "legwork" the Hagan campaign didn't do?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Arkane posted:

That's a good poll question.

Scott Walker's support is a bit illusory...absent his epic victories against the whining Democrats in Wisconsin, he's an empty shell onto which people can project their ideal candidate. Sorta like Perry for that month he was the frontrunner in 2012. We'll see how he does under the spotlight.

Jeb Bush's numbers are interesting, but I imagine Romney would've been somewhat similar in 2012.

And yeah that reinforces my belief that Rubio is the major dark horse here. The question becomes where can he win? I don't imagine Iowa will be friendly territory. New Hampshire I guess? There's not an easy path for him.

This feels weird typing out but I agree with everything Arkane just said. ~40 on the negative scale seems to be to be the bar for former candidate/president baggage (Sorry Jeb and Rand, you inherit daddy's/brother's baggage polling-wise). Walker's margins there are just him being one of the least known candidates, they're somewhat comparable to Jindal (people who know Jindal are really tepid about him) and Carson (his is a very self selecting audience), and Fiorina (I had to look her up to refresh my memory of who she actually is as well). High unknown on Walker means we can also assume some of the positive support is softer than if that number was lower, a comparatively good sign for Rubio, who fills a similar niche. Also the descriptions of Walker I've read don't make it sound like he will be able to convert all those who don't know him and his softer supporters during the scrutiny of a presidential campaign.

Cruz's negative is high because even people on the right are sick of his act. Christie's scandals have mired his numbers low, I didn't expect them to be that low though, that is pretty damning. And as for Graham, maybe they have heard the same rumors about him that the folks in this thread have heard.

At the very least, Rubio can put the Rudy Guiliani primary campaign strategy to another test! Florida is the only state that matters!

Ed; But I don't really think any of them shift the GE playing field all that much. Walker puts WIsconsin more into play than it otherwise would be and Rubio maybe makes Florida into more of a tossup than a potential lean, but Florida is going to be in play no matter what in a Presidential cycle. And even if you flip Wisconsin (and all the others), the Dem still wins outright with Florida.

This is what I've got for my map.

oldswitcheroo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 10, 2015

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

I'd say it's probably some combination of the two, but those numbers are the polling equivalent of being booed off stage. That doesn't just happen. I wouldn't want to be Christie's local Dunkin' Donuts after he saw that poll. I mean, his negatives are only second to Donald "Not A Real Candidate" Trump and Christie hasn't even run a national campaign yet.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Basically what I'm getting from these maps is that the DNC is going to be dropping literal fucktons of money into Florida in 2016.

Maybe even moreso for the RNC. There are ways for them to win without Florida, but they're pretty far fetched. For instance this:

If you're the GOP candidate, you've pried 6 states compared to the 2012 Obama coalition, and you still lose becuase of Florida's importance.

And even if you do win Florida, you still need AT LEAST Ohio, Virginia and one more.

oldswitcheroo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 10, 2015

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Penn is one of the "lesser Ivies" according to Cruz.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Joementum posted:

My favorite Huntsman fact is that he dropped out of high school to play in a prog rock band named Wizard, but they could only get booked at church dances, so they had to change the lyrics to some of the songs they covered.

If you want to hang out
You've got to take her out
Propane
If you want to get down
Down on the ground
Propane

She don't lie
She don't lie
She don't lie
Propane

Hank Hill approves.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

^^^^^^^ Fun fact! The dude who produced this 2014 campaign ad is the same who produced the Pete Hoekstra Debbiespenditnow superbowl ad in 2012 and included this amazing gem of a gif.

The only thing missing now is the weird, out of place easy listening jazz saxophone music.

Oh no, even Branstad looks compromised. When revealed he owns a Blackberry, Branstad insisted he doesn't even have an email address, he's never sent or received an email ever.

http://www.kcci.com/news/branstad-answers-questions-about-his-blackberry-email-use/32033370

I saw that guy give a talk on political marketing. He was awful.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I can't stand listening to him talk. He has less than zero public speaking skills. He needs hours of coaching to do short advertising spots, and listening to him for any length of time is painful.

As someone who does a good bit of door knocking come election time, I really wanted to punch him when he talked about how his ad spots had won elections.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I mean did you read Paul Walkers budget? It's insane town.

Not to nitpick, but I really think you mean Scott Walker, not deceased Fast and Furious actor Paul Walker.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Rubio, Walker, and, uhh......uhhh.....

Jeb.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, and Jindal's numbers suck in Louisiana. It seems betting the future on the state on commodity prices via tax cuts and just hoping oil prices rose indefinitely was a... BAD??? plan??

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Radish posted:

Will that matter though? Are bad poll numbers going to affect his re-election chances when the alternative is a Democrat?

Well, he's term limited so he can't run for Governor again. And though he would probably carry Louisiana in a potential presidential general election, I seriously doubt his ability to win as a favorite son candidate in a primary. And if he can't carry his home state in the primary.... he's not getting to the general.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Talking about which ways to wear suits are and are not bougie? Does it smell like LF in here to anyone else right now?

The way I wear suits is the socialest.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

So are Field Organizers Organizing Organizers now?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Lazy, shiftless Bill Gates.

*sips soy latte, nibbles arugula salad*

That's an avtext post combo for the ages..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

Something Else posted:

This is O'Malley

Martin "Chaos is a ladder" O'Malley

• Locked thread