Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She's doing pretty well fleecing dumb idiots of their cash while pretending to run.

I really hope Donald Trump finally gets off his rear end and runs for President, purely for the comedy factor. But he's in the Palin category of 'will just get people to pay him/her and not actually ever run'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This whole speech putting immigration into the '16 elections is bad for Jeb. He's the most liberal candidate when it comes to that on the GOP side, and he'll never survive the primaries if he gets hammered on that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jeb Bush was railing against teachers' unions again. He's primarily responsible for our awful education system here in FL (which he overhauled as governor).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/fl-jeb-bush-education-flap-2016-20141121-story.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's no different than trying to defund ACORN after they had already shut down. No one who would vote for those people is going to bother to fact-check.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

It should be noted, Democracy for America (née Dean for America) is still Ready for Warren.
I think MoveOn said today that they are also still holding out hope that she runs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He's a two-time loser; the main reason he's as high as he is in current polling is the utter weakness of the rest of the field combined with only-other sorta-serious contended Jeb not really being in play yet. As in 2008 and 2012, the only way he gets the nomination is if there's no other slightly-less-empty suit in the room once the crazies have eaten each other alive.
Jeb is going to get destroyed in the primaries trying to move to the right on things like immigration and education.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Valentin posted:

"I don’t like the idea of another Bush-Clinton race. Been there, done that... Three different Bushes aren’t... a fresh face."
How can someone say this without a hint of irony while being a Romney supporter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

He ran for President in 2008 too! Speaking of which, sad to see that Thompson isn't thinking of another run.
Fred Thompson made it pretty clear in 2008 that he was just running because other people gave him money. He didn't seem to care much about campaigning. I mean as a Senator the guy was notorious for rarely working.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It might have been. But I remember at the time a lot of people urging him to run.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It will never cease to crack me up with how Trump and Palin continue to troll their own party and bilk them for cash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jeb Bush is already laying out his plan of attack for the election, based on a speech he just gave today. Some bullet points of possible policy positions:

-'Rolling back' certain parts of Obamacare (no specifics, of course)
-Reducing government regulations on fracking
-Opening up more federal/national park land for oil/gas exploration
-His position on immigration is pretty much the same as the compromise immigration bill that didn't pass the House last year ('back of the line' stuff, increased visa checking, paying fines, but eventual legal citizenship)
-Blamed Obama for the rise of ISIS

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-ap-2016-jeb-bush-focus-on-middle-class-20150123-story.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I'll be interested to see what comes out, but my current theory is that Romney was all set to run, but the big money guys made it clear they preferred Jeb instead of a guy who lost twice before, so he reluctantly had to give up. I listened to his conference call earlier, and he comes off sounding to me like he truly believes he can win, but he won't have the chance to try. Just an idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The Michigan legislature was pushed farther to the right in 2014 due to a large part Americans For Prosperity and the Koch brothers throwing money at a lot of tea party candidates. When they withdrew support for Terri Lynn Land everyone finally knew she didn't have a chance. This is the case in just about every other state too. Maybe they're not getting the payout for their investment at the national level, yet, but at the state and local level they are making gains.
They've achieved most of their legislative success by buying seats in state legislatures or lower-level Congressional races. It's been a bottom up thing, which does not bode well for the future.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've been glad to see that CA is actually beginning to right the ship with Jerry Brown in charge, after having to give out IOUs under Arnold's watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh my god that last paragraph needs to be a thread title somehow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one time they were being responsible journalists was quickly dashed when they aired the unedited footage of that Jordanian pilot being burned alive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boy the anti-Hillary talking points are in full swing this week, between stuff on FOX and the RNC stuff. Not sure why now though, since she hasn't teased announcing anything yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm just saying that the timing is weird, since it really went into overdrive this week with comparing her comments about a trip to Bosnia a decade ago which she apologized for to the Brian Williams thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No, the depressing part is that prank caller got charged with a crime, while Walker was re-elected.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Honestly surprised Ben Carson's name recognition is that low.

also Warren's negatives are real low, which is good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

It's the video he put out back in November. Somebody wants attention. :smith:

I take it the 8 people who favorited that are his family members?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

whydirt posted:

Yeah I think people just assume that all politicians want to rise to the highest office possible, but I've not seen any evidence that Warren wants to be President.
After meeting her, I think she makes a much better legislator than a presidential candidate. She really knows her finance law.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

Warren is comfortable in her current position where she doesn't have to care about foreign policy, which she doesn't. She's actually run away from multiple reporters when they've started asking about Israel.

That's not something you can do if you're running for President.
Yeah her boilerplate stance on Israel is about the only thing I disagree with her on

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Jeb explains his answer to the Iraq War question:

... Okay, fair enough. Everyone gets a mulligan. So now Jeb can unequivocally say that, knowing what he knows now, he -

:cripes:
I loved his original answer because you know he absolutely heard that correctly, which is why he kept dropping 'Hillary Clinton would....' every 5 seconds in answering it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is becoming progressively more hilarious every time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

That's... an interesting way to look at American history I suppose.
Was he skipping history class when they got to the part about Manifest Destiny?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

George Pataki, the former Republican governor of NY, is also announcing that he's running tomorrow. I really have no idea what his strategy is supposed to be. The crazy train is already full.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

I'll never forget smoking guy.

Who was Cain's actual campaign manager, and came up with that ad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Didn't Clinton already announce her run like 2 months ago?
This is just some 'official kickoff' even despite her already declaring. I guess technically it's the first real event of her campaign

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

Bill gets his dream job of loafing around the White House smoking doobies and eating moon pies
I'm sure in Fox News' reality this was the years 1993-2000 for him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

Christie

God, if there was SOME WAY to get a Christie-Trump debate just with the two of them. How long would they last before one of them metophorically tells the other to Go Get Their Shinebox and they have a big fat guy fight all over the stage?
They both pull off their suit jackets and are just speaking at the podiums angrily with only a wife beater top on

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Jindal's candidacy makes less sense to me than anyone else's. No one wants the man to run, he's a hardcore evangelical in a race that already has several of those who are more charismatic and running on generally better records. He spent huge amounts of time and effort on travel in preparation for this which dealt a major blow to his already low approval ratings, making his presidential run even more doomed to failure. What could he possibly be hoping to get out of this?
I think it just boils down to the fact that his political career is already on life support, so you might as well just run at this point.

But like Chris Christie and Donald Trump, spending money on a run is about the same as flushing it down the toilet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Sorry if this has been posted around, but Christie is going to announce.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/06/25/417458360/christie-to-announce-tuesday-that-hes-running-for-president

I am very, very eager for Christie and Trump to share a debate stage.
That's going to be amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Well, no poo poo. He made a lot of them obsolete.
Well that and he actually uses data, whereas most of those pundits just want to create the illusion that a race is close when in reality it's not (2012 being the biggest example).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

He has yet to face re-election during a presidential year election. I imagine he won't/wouldn't fare so well in those circumstances with a half-decent opponent
Yeah that's one thing people forget. Plus a lot of the general public felt like the recall effort was a bunch of sour grapes or whatever, so it made it easier for him to win.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Clinton is uniquely positioned to be the most effective President we've seen in a long time. She knows more about the Presidency than any candidate I can think of, I doubt Bush Jr learned alot while his father was President, and if she still wants to run after six years of dealing with Gingrich, then there's something in her that I'm curious to see.

Perhaps if Biden was running, or if the Dems had another candidate that could win the general, I wouldn't be as bullish on Clinton, but I've been watching her and her husband for quite a long time and they're big picture great society types. Maybe some of that has been worn down since the early 90's, but I'm willing to crank up the hope machine again.
Going to be hard for her to get much done if she has a GOP controlled Congress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Has the media made a big deal out of the McCain thing yet? That's how you get old people upset about something, so if Fox or CNN slam on Trump for this, he might not be able to get past it.

I feel like he's getting a pass because reporters get as much joy from his insanity as we do.
Yeah this has been picking up steam in the last 24 hours. It's one of the lead stories on NYT.com and now the RNC had to come out and slap him down a bit, which is funny considering they had no qualms about the 'Mexican immigrants are rapists' stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Huckabee interview with Geraldo is especially great since his first sentence drops a Neville Chamberlain reference. In case you didn't think comparing the Iranians to Hitler wasn't clear the first time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've seen it reported that he's still spending half of his time doing other stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Mr. Trump is the Cheese. Mr. Trump is the best character on the show.

SMASH HIT; DELLY SCORES AGAIN

Seriously though Donald Trump's campaign has become Wacky Delly.
Rocco's Modern Life: eerily prescient even 20 years later

• Locked thread