Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

midnightclimax posted:

I hoped Kanye would be a Sanders man.

Bernie Sanders doesn't care about black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Every time I've heard Fiorina speak she's seemed well prepared and more on point than almost any other candidate.

In terms of the main debate, I think Christie and Kasich will probably benefit - Rand looked horribad.

Rand definitely looked awful. His responses were terrible and he got no screen time after the first couple of questions unless he was being dunked on by another candidate. I would be surprised if he was still in the race for much longer.

Trump is going to come out of this as the winner. Middle class Republicans hate the currently rich as much as they love guns, god, and low taxes. Trump's campaign seems to be "I'm a sleazy billionaire and I will fix the loopholes that allowed me to become one". Whoever wrote/selected the questions only managed to make him look like a straight talker.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sonofsilversign posted:

It was pretty great how obvious fox was about playing favorites, i dont think christie got one question in the last half. dunno why they gave a nobody like kasich so much time though, dude seems nice and sensible hows he gonna appeal to the base?

I get the feeling that when Jeb started bungling questions they brought in Kasich as a plan B. He's moderate like Jeb but doesn't obviously need speech therapy. I'm expecting him to go way up in the polls after tonight.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Mirthless posted:

I get the feeling that when Jeb started bungling questions they brought in Kasich as a plan B. He's moderate like Jeb but doesn't obviously need speech therapy. I'm expecting him to go way up in the polls after tonight.

Im astonished that Jebs so bad at this whole politics thing, last month people were telling me that he would be the man to beat and he barely managed to seem more coherent than Carson.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Mirthless posted:

Kasich would be a strong general contender, true. But I don't think he can carry water. He's got problems in Ohio that are essentially "crony capitalism" in textbook form. He also lacks red meat for the base. Especially when you've got Trump and Walker wearing butcher's aprons.

He'd easily be the best GOP president (still awful). I just don't see it happening.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Rubio clearly did his homework. He clearly checked off all his talking points without saying anything too stupid, looking presidential, and not even needing a drink of water on camera.

Sonofsilversign posted:

dunno why they gave a nobody like kasich so much time though, dude seems nice and sensible hows he gonna appeal to the base?

Kasich I think will get a bump from playing the adult in the room, which should be enough to get him to the next 2 or 3 debates. In a general election, he would probably do the best against Hillary, with the bonus of winning Ohio, which of course means he has no chance of winning the nomination, but Fox certainly wouldn't mind giving him a little extra air time for that.

If I had to pick a winner last night it would be Trump obviously. My only complaint about him was he didn't go as far as he should have. He could have done more with his "Mr Trump why do you love democrats LOL!!?" question and said straight out "I'm a billionare and I buy politicians. The only one who can afford to buy me is a trillionare!".

He nailed it with "Atlantic City sucks now, I got out while the gettin was good", and that was all after his opening tirade refusing to promise to support the nominee and run 3rd party. Was that a new question for this year aimed squarely at Trump, did they ask it 4 or 8 years ago? The Trump luxury cruise is no where near sinking, no matter what Frank Lutz tells us.

Let's remember that 10 minutes after the debate ended, everyone forgets about 95% of what was said and whats retained is the showmanship, confidence and snappy one liners. (Which I think Huckabee gets the gold star for his fake-out Hillary burn).

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

The Nastier Nate posted:

If I had to pick a winner last night it would be Trump obviously. My only complaint about him was he didn't go as far as he should have. He could have done more with his "Mr Trump why do you love democrats LOL!!?" question and said straight out "I'm a billionare and I buy politicians. The only one who can afford to buy me is a trillionare!".

Next time he should say "Even if one of my fellow clowns is elected hes gonna be working for me anyway, why not cut out the middleman?"

Your welcome Trump campaign.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Sonofsilversign posted:

Im astonished that Jebs so bad at this whole politics thing, last month people were telling me that he would be the man to beat and he barely managed to seem more coherent than Carson.

Born with a silver foot in his mouth. Even if it was just him and Trump, I don't think he'd get the nod.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I love this country so much it hurts.

Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
Wow, @megynkelly really bombed tonight. People are going wild on twitter! Funny to watch.
3:40 AM - 7 Aug 2015 · Manhattan, NY, United States

"@timjcam: @megynkelly @FrankLuntz @realDonaldTrump Fox viewers give low marks to bimbo @MegynKelly will consider other programs!"
3:24 AM - 7 Aug 2015

.@FrankLuntz is a low class slob who came to my office looking for consulting work and I had zero interest. Now he picks anti-Trump panels!
3:28 AM - 7 Aug 2015 · Manhattan, NY, United States

.@FrankLuntz, your so-called "focus groups" are a total joke. Don't come to my office looking for business again. You are a clown!
3:45 AM - 7 Aug 2015

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Donald J. Trump posted:

Frank Luntz is a low class slob

Word

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm not sure why, but every time Cruz started talking I couldn't stop thinking of Nathan Lane trying to act straight in The Birdcage. I haven't seen that movie in ages, so I don't even know if there's a legitimate comparison there or my mind is just projecting.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
If a mother dies of preventable causes during childbirth, will Mike Huckabee charge the child with manslaughter?

You know. Given that they're people with due process and all.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boosted_C5 posted:

Wow, @megynkelly really bombed tonight. People are going wild on twitter! Funny to watch.

"@timjcam: @megynkelly @FrankLuntz @realDonaldTrump Fox viewers give low marks to bimbo @MegynKelly will consider other programs!"

.@FrankLuntz is a low class slob who came to my office looking for consulting work and I had zero interest. Now he picks anti-Trump panels!

.@FrankLuntz, your so-called "focus groups" are a total joke. Don't come to my office looking for business again. You are a clown!

Welcome back. Trump 2016 fhtagn ia ia!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

After reading the transcript (I can't watch it without wanting to hit something), I'm just baffled by Cruz's closing statement and the bit about religious liberty. Was that a slip of the tongue in phrasing or is he so into red meat that he'd go on record as trying to destroy the 1st Amendment? The base might be okay with the implied 'except for Christians' in there, but I'm shocked it's not being made a bigger deal out of by people who aren't crazy.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Dalael posted:

When I look at other recent pictures of :shillary:, I can't help but ask myself:

Just how much loving make-up is she wearing in this picture?

So are Sanders supporters actively trying to make people vote against him or

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Seeing that makes me wonder something though. Why does the arrow in Hillary's regular logo point right?

To get the joke answer out of the way: "Because she's actually right leaning"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kylra posted:

Seeing that makes me wonder something though. Why does the arrow in Hillary's regular logo point right?

Simple answer: because we read left to right and it would look weird and awkward if it pointed left.

Better answer: because she is a stealth Republican and actually an alter ego of Donald Trump.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kylra posted:

We're culturally conditioned to see right-pointing arrows as representing forward movement, left-pointing arrows as backwards movement. It's a good design choice.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tempest_56 posted:

After reading the transcript (I can't watch it without wanting to hit something), I'm just baffled by Cruz's closing statement and the bit about religious liberty. Was that a slip of the tongue in phrasing or is he so into red meat that he'd go on record as trying to destroy the 1st Amendment? The base might be okay with the implied 'except for Christians' in there, but I'm shocked it's not being made a bigger deal out of by people who aren't crazy.

Nobody gives a poo poo about Cruz anymore. Even Carly Fiorina is getting more attention.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

nachos posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about Cruz anymore. Even Carly Fiorina is getting more attention.

Carly Fiorina is getting more attention because Fox and the GOP want her to get more attention; they reason she's the only one who can use their sexist rhetoric to attack Clinton without coming across as sexist.

She didn't win the kiddy debate and was the only one never interrupted when going (way way) overtime. She "won" because no one watched the debate, and then Fox talking heads spent an hour and a half talking about how she totally won (even though she didn't).

They even spliced her into the main debate ffs, you don't get more blatant than that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rasczak posted:

So are Sanders supporters actively trying to make people vote against him or

why would you vote for a president based on what someone on a forum says instead of what the actual candidate says and does

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Boosted_C5 posted:

The best part of this is that he posted these between 3:30 and 3:45am heavily implying that he dictated them to a staffer while completely drunk

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

blue squares posted:

why would you vote for a president based on what someone on a forum says instead of what the actual candidate says and does

Dunno if you heard bro but Sanders might be a colossal racist and misogynist you should probably vote Hillary in the primary just to be safe.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

Don't inject logic here.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Also there are rumors that Sanders was actually born in Switzerland.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

midnightclimax posted:

Also there are rumors that Sanders was actually born in Switzerland.

Bernie Sanders the actual author and artist.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Nagato posted:

The best part of this is that he posted these between 3:30 and 3:45am heavily implying that he dictated them to a staffer while completely drunk

I think he dictates to his phone (cheaper), I just don't see how it keeps up with the accent.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Shakugan posted:

Carly Fiorina is getting more attention because Fox and the GOP want her to get more attention; they reason she's the only one who can use their sexist rhetoric to attack Clinton without coming across as sexist.

She didn't win the kiddy debate and was the only one never interrupted when going (way way) overtime. She "won" because no one watched the debate, and then Fox talking heads spent an hour and a half talking about how she totally won (even though she didn't).

I said earlier that I found her actual responses in the debate pretty well informed. I saw her on Morning Joe a few days ago and was similarly impressed.

M-maybe I'm incapable of determining my real opinion from those of my CORPORATE MASTERS, though.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

BGrifter posted:

No one woman should have all that power.

Lol

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Trump is better than the salami and the bologna combined.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

M-maybe I'm incapable of determining my real opinion from those of my CORPORATE MASTERS, though.

You might be, but the GOP base?

You were commenting about the amount of attention she is receiving in a general sense, not just from you. And that general attention she is receiving is because of a massive push from Fox and the GOP (and $500000 of Super PAC money that other candidates have literally given her so she's in the race to be able to attack Hillary).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Alter Ego posted:

Mr. Trump is better than the salami and the bologna combined.

Which candidate at the debate was the most like Mr. Cheese?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RZApublican posted:

Which candidate at the debate was the most like Mr. Cheese?

Mr. Trump is the Cheese. Mr. Trump is the best character on the show.

SMASH HIT; DELLY SCORES AGAIN

Seriously though Donald Trump's campaign has become Wacky Delly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is it possible Fox is trying to sink Trump?

I'm sorry to pick on somebody from pages ago but LOL, of loving course they were. They were trying to kneecap everyone but Bush out there. Did you not notice Fox news all of a sudden growing spines and asking Republican candidates difficult questions? Ones specifically tailored to gently caress up said candidates?

The very first question was an attempt to killshot Trumps 3rd party run. C'mon.

And then minutes after it ended Frank Luntz brought out a rigged focus group to talk poo poo about him.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 7, 2015

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Fiorina is boring and also no more qualified to be President than Carson and Trump, who are also political outsiders with impressive experience in other fields, and both are far more successful than she is. Trump is also a businessperson and much wealthier, Carson was literally THE class of his field as a neurosurgeon.

She's also, overall, the least conservative of all 17 candidates, which is not good for a GOP primary, especially when you register at barely above 0% in the polls.

I though Perry won the first debate, because he only had a few minor tongue-tied stutters/stumbles, and was very animated and just as detail oriented as anyone else on stage. any run of the mill GOP primary voters who watched probably enjoyed him and were probably no less bored to tears by Carly than by Gilmore or Pataki.

We'll see if FOX NEWS hype and propaganda are enough to get her into the Top 10.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Trump will pick Carson instead of Fiorina to be his VP.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Shakugan posted:

then Fox talking heads spent an hour and a half talking about how she totally won (even though she didn't).

It really was something to behold, it's been a long time since I have seen the Fox News machine in action and to be honest it is fascinating to watch them tell their viewers what to believe. Same with the Iran deal, if my only source of news on current events was the Fox News I would completely believe that the Iran deal was completely terrible and it was all Obama's fault. Why? Just because it is. What's wrong with it? It's terrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alter Ego posted:

Mr. Trump is the Cheese. Mr. Trump is the best character on the show.

SMASH HIT; DELLY SCORES AGAIN

Seriously though Donald Trump's campaign has become Wacky Delly.
Rocco's Modern Life: eerily prescient even 20 years later

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sorry to pick on somebody from pages ago but LOL, of loving course they were. They were trying to kneecap everyone but Bush out there. Did you not notice Fox news all of a sudden growing spines and asking Republican candidates difficult questions? Ones specifically tailored to gently caress up said candidates?

The very first question was an attempt to killshot Trumps 3rd party run. C'mon.

And then minutes after it ended Frank Luntz brought out a rigged focus group to talk poo poo about him.
The most surprising moment of the debate, for me, was when Jeb flubbed the brother/Iraq question AGAIN. That was the perfect "seems hard but you must be prepared to hit this out of the park" question and he just sort of dribbled the ball back to the pitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They need to let Carly Fiorina into the next debate. She's the GOP's best chance to get the head count down.

• Locked thread