Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I honestly hope that both Bachmann and Palin run and get to the final group in Iowa/NH. Just for the laughs, even though it will eventually turn to tears as I lose faith in humanity.

Also, go Jon Huntsman, who should be labeled 'probably a goon.' Who was it in 2012's primaries that heavily supported him, Arzy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

But do the votes of NH and Iowa really matter in the long term? Even if you pissed off them enough that the states swung for one election, its only 10 electoral votes, total. How many presidential elections come down to 10 electoral votes?

Now, I can see pissing them off affecting the state and local elections a bit more than national elections. But those elections tend to have far more to do with the election cycle than anything apparently.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Anyone who puts "-gate" at the end of a political scandal that isn't watergate should be shot. For being an uncreative shitstain if nothing else.

Yep! The correct addition is now -ghazi

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

But by that time Sarah Pailin would have had four years 'learning foreign policy at the foot of the master', which was a real narrative in 08, so of course the world would be in a New American Century in 2012 and people would be clamoring to re-elect both the master and the padawan.

But the "Master" is well known to have a bloodthirsty neo-con streak and make really stupid comments about foreign policy. And he wanted to get us into one more war with Iran, which would have been even more of a clusterfuck than Iraq as Iran actually has somewhat competant people in power. The Master is basically a 5 year old screaming a lot until he gets candy from the Kindergarten teacher.

So of course they would choose Sarah Palin in 2012 in McCain world. :smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

A Fisher-Price toy telephone wearing a rug. That's pretty close.

A gif flipping between those would make a great avatar. :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

badatom posted:

To me, Rand Paul looks like the love child of Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles.

Cannot unsee :captainpop:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No Sarah Palin in that poll? I guess they left her out because it would skew the results; 40% for Palin, I'll bet. :smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Joementum posted:

My prediction: the Bushes and Carter do another pre-recorded tape, Obama gives one of the big end-of-night speeches, possibly the nominating speech, and Bill Clinton doesn't speak.

There is something to be said to not up-stage Hillary, but its Bill Clinton. His speech will probably go down really early so that people have time to forget it by the time the nomination comes up.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Indiana is basically not going to happen. North Carolina has a decent chance though. One of the reasons Obama won NC in 2008 was incredibly high minority turnout at the time. The turnout wasn't quite as high in 2012, while rural turnout remained high let Romney squeak through. But a Hillary campaign should get enough cross-over women to flip that last percent back over to Blue, if played correctly.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm not so sure on your last point, how much crossover minority vote did Obama receive?

Very little. Mostly because minorities tend to vote extremely blue, so gains were mostly from extra turnout rather than cross over. But women vote relatively equal across parties. Sharing the same sex won't matter for most women, but NC had recently been close enough that a .5% or 1% shift could tip things over. Even stealing votes on the margin matters in swing states.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yes, I too think that chattel slavery was a mostly benign institution done by noble gentlemen looking to uplift Afr----

I can't do it.

:smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Does he want Russia to go full paranoid and bring out the nukes?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Sumter was an American fort that the confederacy shelled, starting the war. I highly doubt they'd entertain a theory that involved the president blowing it up since that's their thing to do.

The South didn't attack Fort Sumter. The Usurper "Honest" Abe Lincoln sent in Federal troops to the fort to be used to institute martial law in Charleston and hang the Leaders for State Freedom. The South didn't want a war, but they had to defend themselves from Northern Aggression and Anti-Constitutional justice systems. :freep:

Yes. This is what Southerners believe.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well it was still an Obama election at the time. Unskewing in 2012 would have been too early because the main part of the theory was still active: Obama was uniquely suited to engaging minorities and the under 30 set. We'll see more in 2016.

While I don't think this theory is correct, I also don't think it's wrong. Democrats have been riding Obama's coattails with minority voting and have done only a little more to secure their votes other than "not be racist republicans." It's pretty likely the demographic shift will continue to be noticeable but not a sea change.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Now as always, gently caress Duke

I knew there was a reason I preferred Chapel Hill. I just didn't know why until now. :monocle:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well that's a particularly deep brand of paranoia to think that the NSA is actively looking at your webcam. Sure they'll steal your dick pics and laugh at your goony micropenis but they aren't going to actively search for that stuff unless you are a threat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

eternalname posted:

Why exactly am I supposed to want daily briefings from mike huckabee

Jesus love you. But he loves Mike Huckabee more, and Mike'll tell you exactly why he is so beloved by Jesus.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Joementum posted:

Hillary ate there once. See also: Michelle Obama saying that drinking water is healthy.

Plus, look at how filthy liberal Chipotle is:

I'm glad that liberals and conservatives can find common ground on at least one issue: Dominos pizza is terrible and middle America is also terrible for buying it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

mooyashi posted:

the whiskey of the proletariat is Evan Williams Black Label

This man knows whats up. I got one of these and an Evan Williams Honey Whiskey as well.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

In Hillary Clinton's America, there is only fortified wine and vodka to discuss.

Life just isn't worth it anymore. I'll see you on the other side. :suicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

When my mom went back to school for her degree in the late 90s she took Japanese since she needed to take a language and she was the only person in the class whose reason for taking it wasn't "anime" when the teacher asked.

That's what learning Japanese was like for me. My answer was "I like the architecture and find the warring states period interesting. Plus, it shares things with Chinese for later learning." The rest of the class didn't do anything except talk about anime. :smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Joementum posted:

Jeb Bush, speaking at the Faith and Freedom Coalition Summit this morning said, "I don't know what was in the heart and the mind [of Dylann Storm Roof]".

Jesus ¡JEB!, hate. Hate was in his heart and mind.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I love how liberals are fine with this "funny" piece of casual racism.

I'm making fun of his signs?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

I lived through the 80s. The 80s loving sucked.

I was born in the 80s and then they were over within a year.

The 80s were good to me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Don't make me post Chelsea's Mom goddamnit.

Why are you threatening to torture some folks ? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

We just want Trump to buy SA, and make it great again.

If Trump brings back LF then I will vote for him. :toxx:

• Locked thread