Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mitt!

quote:

According to several top Republicans, Romney made more than 80 phone calls to GOP candidates last Tuesday and Wednesday to congratulate them on their victories, including Senate candidates Joni Ernst of Iowa and Thom Tillis of North Carolina. He spent election night in Boston watching returns at the home of former aide Ron Kaufman, stopping in later at the Seaport Hotel to congratulate Massachusetts governor-elect Charlie Baker (R) on his win.

Some longtime allies also continue to prepare the ground for another Romney presidential campaign, despite his continued disavowals of interest. In the days after the election, a group of Romney supporters began circulating a memo that compared the success of his midterm endorsements with those made by Hillary Rodham Clinton, the front-runner for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination.

The documents — which were obtained by The Washington Post — concluded that two out of three Romney candidates won their elections, compared with one in three for Clinton.

According to three Republicans who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid, Romney’s associates are convinced that if former Florida governor Jeb Bush does not run, Romney could consider another White House bid. He has told friends that he feels positive about the likely GOP field, but also worries that many of the contenders may not have what it takes to beat Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

Watching Romney flail to stay relevant has been even more rewarding than his actual loss. Is there any precedent for a losing politician to hang around and snipe rather than actually do anything other than Palin? Did she create a new political cliche?

You'll remember, of course, that Nixon clawed his way back to relevance after being seen as a joke and two-time loser by vigorously campaigning for Republican candidates and amassing favours in the 1966 midterms.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

evilweasel posted:

At what point did it really become clear Obama was running in 2008? I keep feeling like if there was going to be a Hillary challenger I'd sort of know who they were by now, but I realized that don't actually have any real basis for that belief because I apparently have the memory of a goldfish and can't remember the leadup to the primaries in 2008 well enough.

quote:

Monday, October 23, 2006
Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) opened the door to a 2008 presidential campaign yesterday, saying he has begun to weigh a possible candidacy and will make a decision after the November elections.

"Given the responses that I've been getting over the last several months, I have thought about the possibility, but I have not thought about it with the seriousness and depth that I think is required," Obama said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "After November 7th, I'll sit down and consider it, and if at some point, I change my mind, I will make a public announcement and everybody will be able to go at me."

Until yesterday, Obama, one of the brightest stars in the party since he electrified the 2004 Democratic National Convention with his keynote address, had said he planned to serve out the full six years of his Senate term, which would have ruled out a presidential or vice presidential campaign in 2008.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pictured: the Clinton strategy for putting AR, KY, and WV in play in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfU3hI8ML30

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"wearing her signature pants"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

richardfun posted:

If the Clintons are going to keep holding a grudge against anyone who backed Obama in '08, that's going to be a mighty long shitlist. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Not that that is outside the realm of possibility, considering Mark Penn and all...

The Clintons have an Excel file documenting everybody who wrong them in 2008, with the scale of their betrayal rated on a seven point scale. John Kerry and Ted Kennedy are 7s.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Or Leiberman? I know for a fact that Gore choosing him cost him some votes, including mine.

If Gore choosing Lieberman cost him a few votes in Vermont and California, but gained him votes in Palm Beach, that's not a bad tradeoff.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

Is there a reason to be coy about running for president? I mean in the case of Jeb Bush, He's "exploring the possibility of running for president", why not just go ahead and say, "yeah, I'm running"?

There are expectation of activity level and media availability and fundraising prowess to show once you're officially running.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gyges posted:

There aren't really any lessons to take from Romeny 2012 because while he indeed went too far right, there was no reason to as he was the only moderate in the race. 2016 is shaping up to have a much closer to even split between moderate, insane, and total cash grab candidates. In such a race the candidate can't afford to just be reasonable, they've got to find at least a couple issues over which to jump into the crazy pit on.

The 2012 primary had Romney and Tpaw and Huntsman and the ghost of Christie. Romney wasn't the only moderate in that race, far from it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Huckabee came out very strong in Iowa in 2008 but had no chance of keeping up the momentum and fell of the map fairly quickly.

He had a pretty good showing on Super Tuesday, considering.

If Fred Thompson withdraws from the race a few days earlier and Huckabee wins South Carolina instead of McCain (McCain won 33-30 over Huckabee, with Thompson pulling 16%), it's easy to see Huck doing a whole lot better in the primaries.

Maybe it just means that Romney wins, who knows.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Your 2016 Republican nominee:

quote:

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker will launch a new political organization in the coming weeks and has tapped a national political strategist to serve as his campaign manager should he decide to run for president, multiple GOP sources told CNN.

Walker, who was sworn in to a second term in Madison this week, quietly brought on Rick Wiley, a former Republican National Committee political director and veteran of multiple presidential campaigns, about a month ago to build a political operation in advance of the 2016 race, the sources said.

Walker's moves are the latest in a swirl of recent activity from big-name Republicans eyeing a White House bid. Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum have all maneuvered quickly since the New Year to hire staff, court donors and remove potential obstacles to running.

Wiley, who declined to comment on the job, has been aggressively reaching out to potential staffers in recent weeks.

One source close to Walker told CNN that the governor has no timeline for announcing a presidential bid but will be forming "some kind of entity in the coming weeks to lend itself as a vehicle" -- likely a leadership PAC -- before moving forward with a full-blown campaign. Walker and his aides have said that he will not announce his intentions until after the Wisconsin legislative session concludes this year.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Unless it's!

quote:

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, who has been encouraged by his allies to consider another run for the White House, will meet with several of his former political advisers Wednesday in Menlo Park, Calif., for a private dinners.

The dinner will be held at a Madera, a Michelin-starred New American restaurant about a mile from Stanford University’s campus, shortly after he lectures at Stanford University on presidential politics, according to Republicans familiar with his plans.

Kelli Harrison, a spokesperson for Romney, confirmed the details of Romney’s swing through Northern California.

[...]

At the table Wednesday will be four Romney loyalists who held senior positions in Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign: Ben Ginsberg, Katie Biber Chen, Andrea Saul, and Lanhee Chen.

Ginsberg and Biber Chen were Romney’s campaign counselors during Romney’s last bid, Saul was his national press secretary, and Chen was his policy director.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Robert Costa: "According to an audience mbr. at Stanford today, Romney ducked a direct answer about his 2016 plans, and joked about ducking the question"

Mitt :swoon:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just pretend I put every single emoticon the forum has here~

quote:

Romney Tells Donors He Is Considering 2016 White House Bid

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney , the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, told a meeting of donors Friday that he is considering another White House bid in 2016, people present said.

The possibility of a third Romney bid could upend the emerging GOP field, coming as top Republican donors are starting to rally behind former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Mr. Romney made the remarks during a session Friday afternoon with a few dozen top GOP donors in midtown Manhattan, according to people present.

The former Massachusetts governor didn’t give a timetable for making a decision about another White House run, but he cited unrest overseas as one of the reasons he’s considering another campaign. He also mentioned the long-term health of the economy.

Mr. Romney has sent mixed signals about his intent heading into 2016, repeatedly telling reporters that he isn’t interested in running again while also leaving some close confidants with the impression he might consider it, should other Republicans stumble.

At one point during the meeting, one of the attendees asked Mr. Romney if he wanted to be president, a person present said. The 2012 nominee said, yes, of course.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/romney-tells-donors-he-is-considering-2016-white-house-bid-1420839312

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WaPo has I guess a preview of how nasty a Bush vs Romney campaign would be, this is great.

quote:

[...]

Romney has begun methodically calling donors, staff members and endorsers from his two prior campaigns to measure how deep his reservoir of support would be if he runs for a third time, his advisers said. He also has scheduled a series of public speeches, including a Jan. 28 address at Mississippi State University.

[...]

The two candidates would invite comparisons to each other, which could be tense for Bush, who was sharply critical of Romney’s 2012 campaign — in particular, his lack of outreach to minorities — and has pledged to run a more inclusive and transparent campaign.

“A Romney-Bush race could end up being nastier than Jeb against someone like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul,” Bill Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard, said of the Texas and Kentucky senators. “A Cruz-Bush race is pretty straightforward and ideological. A Romney-Bush race would be more personal — about whose turn it is and who is owed it.”

[...]

Romney has said little publicly about Bush, but in exchanges with intimates, he has focused on Bush’s past advisory work for Lehman Brothers and Barclays, two major financial institutions. He argued that it makes Bush vulnerable to the same kind of Democratic attacks that he faced in 2012 over his career as Bain Capital co-founder and chief executive. He also has voiced doubts about Bush’s political skills and ability to beat likely Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Ana Navarro, a GOP operative and Bush confidant, said: “I’m not going to get worked up over comments Romney has allegedly made to donors behind closed doors — yet. We all know he sometimes misspeaks.”

Bush has vowed to more vigorously defend his business record than Romney did. Comparing their careers is like “comparing an apple to a peanut,” Bush said in a December interview with a Miami television station.

Those comments irritated Romney’s family and loyalists, who took them as a slight against his career managing a complicated enterprise on a scale far larger than Bush’s business dealings, according to Romney associates.

Bush also is considering releasing a decade or more of his tax returns after Romney faced heat for only reluctantly releasing two years of his returns. And Bush has advocated a more welcoming message on immigration reform than Romney’s hard-right position, which he criticized in 2012.

“He got sucked into other people’s agendas, and I think it hurt him a little bit,” Bush said in the TV interview. He added, “Winning with purpose, winning with meaning, winning with your integrity is what I’m trying to talk about.”

[...]

Members of Bush’s team have not forgotten Stevens’s role in Bush’s 1994 gubernatorial race, which became Bush’s lowest point politically. Stevens advised one of Bush’s primary opponents, Jim Smith, who waged a bruising TV ad assault against Bush over his business experience and character.

“This begins the destruction of Jeb Bush,” Stevens told the New York Times as the ads began. Bush won the primary, but he didn’t win the governorship until four years later.

During the 2012 campaign, Murphy mocked Stevens on Twitter as Romney struggled in the primaries against relatively weak opponents. More recently, Romney backers have been murmuring fresh questions about Murphy’s work for the political action committee of former New York mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), who is anathema to the conservative base.

Some Romney allies are bitter that Bush was slow to endorse Romney in 2012. In the run-up to the Florida primary, with Romney fighting to beat back a surge from Newt Gingrich, Bush sat on the sidelines when Romney’s team thought he could have made a difference. Romney called, e-mailed and met privately with Bush to try to win him over, but he could not be convinced.

“I voted absentee,” Bush said on CNN. “And thank God it’s a secret ballot.”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think it's interesting that 4 of the 9 potential Republican candidates will have not held an office for at least 10 years prior to their 2016 run (Romney, Bush, Santorum, Carson) and one of those (Carson) has never held elected office at all. (The other 5 by my count: Paul, Rubio, Perry, Walker, Christie)

Hillary hasn't held an elected office for 8 years either, but at least she had several years in State in the meantime.

EDIT: Even Nixon only spent 8 years in the wilderness, and people had discounted him until 1966 (none of those 4 helped win 2014 the way Nixon helped in '66) and even then the establishment wanted someone better but couldn't find it.

Perry and Cruz and Jindal all hold office right now!

e: oh you said Perry :eng99:

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 12, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

I am thrilled at the prospect of typing 'Piyush' for a few months. Now that Mitt is back in itt, its a veritable dream team of bad candidates. This must be what a normal person feels like preceding a big college draft.

A Jindal run is going to be great for uncovering all the progressives who think it's funny to make fun of an Indian guy's birth name.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

costareports posted:

According to several ppl who have spoken with Ann Romney in the last wk, she is encouraging Mitt to run. "All in," one friend says.
Romney made clear to Ryan over wknd that he's preparing to get in the race, per sources close to both

I can't believe this is finally really happening.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh man the Mitt train is going to get derailed hard by a certain other northeast governor.

quote:

CONCORD - George Pataki says he's "very strongly inclined to run" for the White House.

And in an interview Monday with NH1, the former three-term Republican governor of New York said it was "outrageous" that the Obama Administration didn't send a high profile representative to Sunday's massive anti-terrorism rally in France.

Pataki spent Sunday and Monday making the rounds in New Hampshire, his third visit to the first-in-the-nation primary state in the past couple of months. Pataki, who considered but eventually decided against presidential bids in 2008 and 2012, said that "this time is very different because the situation in Washington is far worse. It has grown way too powerful, too big, too intrusive, too expensive, and it just continues to try and dominate so many elements of the peoples' lives in a way that I think is horribly wrong. And you look at the globe, and as I said, it's the most dangerous situation we've been in since September 11."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Joe, I say this not to be pedantic but we are going to have to get our Sons of Mittarchy sorted out now rather than have it come back to haunt us later. Taggart was the wishful puncher. Josh is the creepstare Romney.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/after-the-debate-tagg-romney-apologized-to-the-president/

"A source close to the Romney campaign reports that Tagg’s younger brother Josh, 37, notes that he has, in fact, taken punches from Tagg – and that the president has nothing to worry about."

How did that sentence come about. Was it a strategic leak by the Romney campaign? An off-the-record comment from a press secretary? Did Josh call up a journalist and say "my brother's a pansy. please don't use my name"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You forgot the best quote: “Are they going to bring up the dog atop his car? Is that it? Is that all they got?”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Foyes36 posted:

Real talk: does Mitt Romney actually stand a chance in the second go? Is there any polling putting him up against Hillary?

I remember the DMR poll in Iowa last October off the top of my head.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Man Who Got Romney Logo Tattooed On Face Won't Support 2016 Bid

When Eric Hartsburg first heard Monday that Romney was considering another bid for the presidency in 2016, his first thought he told BuzzFeed News was “maybe there is something in it for me.”

But Hartsburg quickly realized that he did not think Romney could win.

“He’s going to say something later on to mess it up,” he said. “You are waiting for him to shoot himself in the foot. It’s going to look real good and then — bam something else — he screws it up.”

Hartsburg was paid $15000 by an anonymous Republican eBay user to get the tattoo according to ABC News. Since the 2012 election, he has had two laser treatments to remove the now faded tattoo on his face, adding that he’s ready to part with and “diss” Romney for good.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

No, the vice president must be eligible to become president in the event that the president resigns or dies. Also they reside in the same state, and while it's not forbidden for both candidates to reside in the same state it costs the VP that state's electoral votes. Normally you can get around this but I think a married couple claiming to live in different states would go over poorly with voters.

Is there a single voter in the country who would be shocked or react negatively upon learning that Bill and Hillary live separately.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Jomentum got this pretty good scoop today and posted it to Instagram for us. It's a New Hampshire State Senator's list of Republicans who've stolen to him about possibly running for President

http://instagram.com/p/x0KKXcSArP/

Man he has bad handwriting.

Mitt
Jeb
Christy
Rand
Pautat Pautacki
Jindull
Carlie [Fiorina]
Santorumt
Perry
Huckabee
Rubio
Cruz
Pentze
Bolton (!!)
Walker
McCoy (?)
Gilmore (!)
Carson

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mooyashi posted:

Good to see conventions bumped up, although watching Romney and especially McCain chafe as they had to wait to spend GE money was fun

Didn't McCain have the opposite problem? He took federal matching funds (with the spending limits that came with it), so he was severely limited in the money he could spend after being the nominee.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

True of most of the US Constitution, tbh.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Is there a thread where we make fun of the Democratic primary?

Because I want to see Hillary and whoever Obama backs eat each other alive in the primary and laugh.

Why would Hillary eat herself alive?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Do you really think an endorsement from Obama would be a net negative with the Dem primary electorate?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This is the best Romney + clothes picture.

And this is the best poll.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Holy poo poo, Mitt is here to play. Somehow, Buzzfeed obtained footage of a brutal unused Romney 2007/2008 Willie Horton attack ad on Huckabee.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The audience for that ad isn't voters, it's Mike Huckabee. It's trying to warn him off running, a taste of what happens if he gets in the race against Romney. It makes perfect sense to leak it now instead of using it in, say, a year.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"According to ABC, Palin was "serving wild boar chili to the homeless" at the Salvation Army in Las Vegas when she discussed her presidential ambitions."

Of course she was.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

This sort of stuff always feels strange to me, because sometimes it's the reverse - sometimes they want to push the nominating event to later in the cycle so that they can continue to raise primary money. Is the assumption that the candidates will have tapped out their entire market of folks willing to donate in excess of $2600/person by early summer?

Or is this a reaction to Obama's successful "bury Mitt in the summer" strategy of 2012?

Late conventions made sense for candidates using matching federal funds. McCain took matching funds, and was limited to spending ~90 million dollars for the general election. It makes sense to push back the convention so that you can spend 45 million/month for two months rather than 30 million/month for three.

Now that federal matching funds are dead, you want access to your money as soon as possible. If you receive a donation of 5200$ in January 2015, you have 18 months to spend the first 2600$ of that, for the primary, and only 3-4 months to spend the other 2600$, for the general. Stretching out the primary period means you get cash strapped for the period of the campaign where the primary is de facto over, but the convention hasn't happened yet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Republicans will vote for whoever the Republican nominee is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Security Through Strength is the political committee helping United States Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) "test the waters" for a potential 2016 run for president. The committee will fund the infrastructure and operations allowing Graham to travel the country, listen to Americans, and gauge support for a potential presidential candidacy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

2008 Huckabee is the Huckabee who was given the chance to repudiate his 1992 comments about people with HIV/AIDS needing to be "isolated" from society, and didn't take it. He wasn't a nice guy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who's the last candidate who "explored a candidacy" or announced an exploratory committee that ended up not running?

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drat it, Romney. You're ruining it for us.

How we will manage to find amusement in the Republican nomination process now???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Mr. Romney said he believed he could win the nomination, but he expressed concern about harming the party’s chances to retake the White House. “I did not want to make it more difficult for someone else to emerge who may have a better chance of becoming the president,” he said.

He added that it was “unlikely” that he would change his mind.

"unlikely"! The dream is still alive as long as we have hope :unsmith:

• Locked thread