Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
There's just no way he actually runs, right? Man, I feel like such a sucker for believing all the bullshit after the 2012 campaign that his heart hadn't really been in it and it was really Ann who had put him up to it. Son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Andrew from BuzzFeed is going to get his salary doubled, if Romney runs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ErIog posted:

There's just no way he actually runs, right? Man, I feel like such a sucker for believing all the bullshit after the 2012 campaign that his heart hadn't really been in it and it was really Ann who had put him up to it. Son of a bitch.

Judging from the rumor mill running up to this, Mitt had absolutely no desire to run but Ann and his punchy son had other ideas.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I could see him doing this because Ann wants him to. He worships her and anything she wants, she gets. All the more reason to enjoy her reaction when she's denied again.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Can't wait to see how many different positions Mittbot 3.0 can take on any given issue at a time.

The people who didn't vote for him last time in the primaries are not going to vote for him this time either, and I'd be willing to bet that some who did are going to say "You stink of loser" and not vote for him this time. Still, having Queen Ann denied her noble right once again would be delicious.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I can't wait for her dancing horse to poo poo up Rio as well.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Given the lifespan of horses, is Rafalca likely still in good shape four years later?

NY Times brings up an interesting point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/us/politics/in-gop-a-divide-of-ideology-and-age.html

quote:

Three years before he ran for president in 2008, a newly slim Mike Huckabee peddled a book with a title that doubled as a lecture: “Quit Digging Your Grave With a Knife and Fork.” Now, as he considers a second White House run, he has written another book with a decidedly different but equally direct title: “God, Guns, Grits and Gravy.”

Mr. Huckabee’s earlier effort delivered a “12-step program to end bad habits and begin a healthy lifestyle,” as the subtitle had it. It is almost unthinkable that an aspiring Republican presidential candidate would do the same today, given conservatives’ strenuous opposition to Michelle Obama’s healthy eating and exercise campaign.

In its own vivid way, Mr. Huckabee’s march from author of a self-help and clean-living guide to cheerleader of artery-clogging calories and conservative traditionalism highlights the Republican shift during the Obama era.

The party is different in tone and substance, moving toward a stricter, limited-government brand of conservatism in response to President Obama’s liberalism, a change that has generational and ideological dimensions.

Now, deviations from orthodoxy on education, health care, immigration and the environment that some Republicans flirted with or embraced during George W. Bush’s presidency are as out of vogue on the right as flip phones.

Could it be possible that Huckabee is getting out of shape to run for president?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

William Bear posted:

Given the lifespan of horses, is Rafalca likely still in good shape four years later?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/us/politics/in-gop-a-divide-of-ideology-and-age.html

Could it be possible that Huckabee is getting out of shape to run for president?

Probably just wants a book tour at this point. Going to join in the grifting circuit.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who is going to be Miss Sheldon Adelson this time around?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Supposedly Cruz is wooing him, with Dick Cheney's help. Walker tried last year, giving a talk at some event Adelson was at, and Adelson walked out in the the middle of his speech

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

sullat posted:

Probably just wants a book tour at this point. Going to join in the grifting circuit.

Huckabee is already a veteran of the grifting circuit. I doubt he quit his job for a simple book tour vanity campaign. Dude wants to be prez

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Good Citizen posted:

Huckabee is already a veteran of the grifting circuit. I doubt he quit his job for a simple book tour vanity campaign. Dude wants to be prez

Yeah, Fox News Host is pretty much top of the line as far as the grift circuit goes. You get paid to be on TV to promote your books and such while increasing your draw as guest speaker. You only drop that to actually run, unlike vague Fox News Contributor or Analyst gigs which you drop to move up to the campaign grift.

Also Huck was getting paid to play guitar with his favorite musicians and do whatever, which is pretty much peak cake walk job.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Campaign/book tour is a stop on the circuit. It's not like he's permanently banned from his sinecure at Fox if he runs.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'd be willing to believe that the timing of the book release was engineered to take advantage of his presidential run, but I don't think he's running purely to increase book sales. I think he legitimately thinks he has a chance and wants to the president.

What his campaign becomes when he reaches a point where he no longer thinks he has a chance is a different story.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Nah Huck is a grade-A huckster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcAhXy9rARk

"It's literally impossible for me to win at this point- but you don't believe in those egg-head "numbers" that the elitists think they can confuse you with. Keep giving me money"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Supposedly Cruz is wooing him, with Dick Cheney's help. Walker tried last year, giving a talk at some event Adelson was at, and Adelson walked out in the the middle of his speech

I'm calling it now: Cruz/Cheney 2016 :swoon:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

Holy moly that would be glorious

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

Which one?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The daughter isn't steeped enough in evil yet to be a vice-president in the Cheney lineage. She still has her original heart for Pete's sake.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cruz/Reagan

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Peztopiary posted:

The daughter isn't steeped enough in evil yet to be a vice-president in the Cheney lineage. She still has her original heart for Pete's sake.

I don't know, even with a mechanical wonder filling the void of his heart hole, Cheney seemed to at least possess a hint of nascent humanity on gays. The daughter on the other hand was throwing rhetorical Molotovs as recently as last year, despite her sister.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

William Bear posted:

I didn't think that Christie left much room in that niche.

..... :rimshot:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hodgepodge posted:

I didn't think that Christie left much room in that niche.

..... :rimshot:

You really think that Republicans will only stop at one morbidly obese candidate?

Its the only possible way their lineup can resemble actual America.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fulchrum posted:

You really think that Republicans will only stop at one morbidly obese candidate?

Its the only possible way their lineup can resemble actual America.

I'd think it'd be more about spiting Michelle than it is representing fat America.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WaPo has I guess a preview of how nasty a Bush vs Romney campaign would be, this is great.

quote:

[...]

Romney has begun methodically calling donors, staff members and endorsers from his two prior campaigns to measure how deep his reservoir of support would be if he runs for a third time, his advisers said. He also has scheduled a series of public speeches, including a Jan. 28 address at Mississippi State University.

[...]

The two candidates would invite comparisons to each other, which could be tense for Bush, who was sharply critical of Romney’s 2012 campaign — in particular, his lack of outreach to minorities — and has pledged to run a more inclusive and transparent campaign.

“A Romney-Bush race could end up being nastier than Jeb against someone like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul,” Bill Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard, said of the Texas and Kentucky senators. “A Cruz-Bush race is pretty straightforward and ideological. A Romney-Bush race would be more personal — about whose turn it is and who is owed it.”

[...]

Romney has said little publicly about Bush, but in exchanges with intimates, he has focused on Bush’s past advisory work for Lehman Brothers and Barclays, two major financial institutions. He argued that it makes Bush vulnerable to the same kind of Democratic attacks that he faced in 2012 over his career as Bain Capital co-founder and chief executive. He also has voiced doubts about Bush’s political skills and ability to beat likely Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Ana Navarro, a GOP operative and Bush confidant, said: “I’m not going to get worked up over comments Romney has allegedly made to donors behind closed doors — yet. We all know he sometimes misspeaks.”

Bush has vowed to more vigorously defend his business record than Romney did. Comparing their careers is like “comparing an apple to a peanut,” Bush said in a December interview with a Miami television station.

Those comments irritated Romney’s family and loyalists, who took them as a slight against his career managing a complicated enterprise on a scale far larger than Bush’s business dealings, according to Romney associates.

Bush also is considering releasing a decade or more of his tax returns after Romney faced heat for only reluctantly releasing two years of his returns. And Bush has advocated a more welcoming message on immigration reform than Romney’s hard-right position, which he criticized in 2012.

“He got sucked into other people’s agendas, and I think it hurt him a little bit,” Bush said in the TV interview. He added, “Winning with purpose, winning with meaning, winning with your integrity is what I’m trying to talk about.”

[...]

Members of Bush’s team have not forgotten Stevens’s role in Bush’s 1994 gubernatorial race, which became Bush’s lowest point politically. Stevens advised one of Bush’s primary opponents, Jim Smith, who waged a bruising TV ad assault against Bush over his business experience and character.

“This begins the destruction of Jeb Bush,” Stevens told the New York Times as the ads began. Bush won the primary, but he didn’t win the governorship until four years later.

During the 2012 campaign, Murphy mocked Stevens on Twitter as Romney struggled in the primaries against relatively weak opponents. More recently, Romney backers have been murmuring fresh questions about Murphy’s work for the political action committee of former New York mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), who is anathema to the conservative base.

Some Romney allies are bitter that Bush was slow to endorse Romney in 2012. In the run-up to the Florida primary, with Romney fighting to beat back a surge from Newt Gingrich, Bush sat on the sidelines when Romney’s team thought he could have made a difference. Romney called, e-mailed and met privately with Bush to try to win him over, but he could not be convinced.

“I voted absentee,” Bush said on CNN. “And thank God it’s a secret ballot.”

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

So essentially a couple of sensitive 60 year old man children, who would've thought

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

God knows they're all gonna try, except maybe Rand Paul. The guy's a one man case study of what Citizen's United hath wrought.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Marco Rubio's family is on board with him running for president. :getin: Bush's fundraising won't scare him away one bit.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/marco-rubio-says-he-has-cleared-key-hurdles-to-white-house-run-20150109

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Marco Rubio's family is on board with him running for president. :getin: Bush's fundraising won't scare him away one bit.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/marco-rubio-says-he-has-cleared-key-hurdles-to-white-house-run-20150109

So...Jeb, Christie, Milt, and Rubio.

Since all four of them will most likely be competing for the same donors, I cannot wait to see which crazy gently caress gets past that post first.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Santorum already getting into the froth:

quote:

"Do we really want someone with this little experience?" Santorum told The New York Times when asked about them and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a trio of first-term senators. "And the only experience they have basically — not Rubio, but Cruz and Paul because I don't think Rubio is going to go — is bomb throwing? Do we really want somebody who’s a bomb thrower, with no track record of any accomplishments?"

Also he doubts Huck is a True Conservative.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

baw posted:

Santorum already getting into the froth:

Also he doubts Huck is a True Conservative.

What exactly has Santorum accomlished? As far as I can tell, it seems like he's been doing nothing but losing elections and siring broken babies for nearly the last decade.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Rick Santorum posted:

Do we really want somebody who’s a bomb thrower, with no track record of any accomplishments?

:ironicat:

And what are yours, other than having a frothy mix named in your honor?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I think it's interesting that 4 of the 9 potential Republican candidates will have not held an office for at least 10 years prior to their 2016 run (Romney, Bush, Santorum, Carson) and one of those (Carson) has never held elected office at all. (The other 5 by my count: Paul, Rubio, Perry, Walker, Christie)

Hillary hasn't held an elected office for 8 years either, but at least she had several years in State in the meantime.

EDIT: Even Nixon only spent 8 years in the wilderness, and people had discounted him until 1966 (none of those 4 helped win 2014 the way Nixon helped in '66) and even then the establishment wanted someone better but couldn't find it.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 12, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am so keen to see the Family Santorum's 2015 back-to-the-trail collection. What shade of gingham will be in this year? How broad and plasticy are the headbands going to be? Is there finally going to be space made for a second row of buttons on a button down collar?

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 12, 2015

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Will he stick with sweater vests or make a bold sartorial choice like argyle?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think it's interesting that 4 of the 9 potential Republican candidates will have not held an office for at least 10 years prior to their 2016 run (Romney, Bush, Santorum, Carson) and one of those (Carson) has never held elected office at all. (The other 5 by my count: Paul, Rubio, Perry, Walker, Christie)

Hillary hasn't held an elected office for 8 years either, but at least she had several years in State in the meantime.

EDIT: Even Nixon only spent 8 years in the wilderness, and people had discounted him until 1966 (none of those 4 helped win 2014 the way Nixon helped in '66) and even then the establishment wanted someone better but couldn't find it.

Perry and Cruz and Jindal all hold office right now!

e: oh you said Perry :eng99:

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 12, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Perry and Cruz and Jindal all hold office right now!

YeahJindal is Doubling down on the evil even now! He's definitely going to try and fail win the nomination

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am thrilled at the prospect of typing 'Piyush' for a few months. Now that Mitt is back in itt, its a veritable dream team of bad candidates. This must be what a normal person feels like preceding a big college draft.

Carly is now saying she'll decide in march or april. Hopefully she is just trying to lock up Fred Thompson as her VP in a bold play to take Califorina by way of triangulating through very, very low information voters in Hollywood & Menlo park

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I am thrilled at the prospect of typing 'Piyush' for a few months. Now that Mitt is back in itt, its a veritable dream team of bad candidates. This must be what a normal person feels like preceding a big college draft.

A Jindal run is going to be great for uncovering all the progressives who think it's funny to make fun of an Indian guy's birth name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
There are better things to make fun of, like how he says McDonalds is his favorite restaurant for Real American™ cred when he's governor of the state with loving New Orleans.

But I've heard how once he delivered on his tax cuts über Alles policy the state's going to poo poo.

• Locked thread